Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Year In Switzerland

Chapter 9 - OWLS are in!

by SwissWitch 0 reviews

The OWLS are in and the gang gets a reward - it's party time on a ship

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Characters: Blaise Zabini, Draco, Dumbledore, Ernie, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, Lupin, Mandy Brocklehurst, Morag McDougal, Neville, Padma, Parvati, Professor McGonagall, Ron, Sirius, Tonks - Published: 2005-06-15 - Updated: 2005-06-15 - 16311 words

0Unrated

Harry


Getting up today is somewhat hard. It's the day we finally get to know our OWLS results. Hermione has been nervous for that since we got back from Hogwarts, but having all those visitors and being out very often meant that we didn't dwell on the outcome too much. We wake up at about eight and first allow ourselves a bit of lovemaking before getting up. It's amazing how fast I got used to that ritual. She really loves it just after waking up. Somehow she's always not only willing, but really horny. I have to say that I like her that way. Her hair is all tousled, her eyes are still a bit glazed, but she wakes up, turns her head to me to see if I'm still asleep and kisses me immediately when I'm awake. As it's summer, the window is open, we've just pulled the curtains which sway gently in the wind.

"Good morning, love," she says.

"Morning, Hermione. Did you sleep well?"

"Mhm..." she yawns.

I cradle her in my arms. What a feeling! Every time I feel her so close it's almost overwhelming. I'm so very glad she pushed me a little towards having sex last year. Now I know that I don't want to ever live without her in my arms anymore. We kiss again and I'm picking up the wand for the spell. She just grins and says:

"You know, I'm thinking about making the potion rather than using the spell, that would take care of it for six months."

"Is it complicated?" I ask.

"Quite. But I manage Wolfsbane potion, so I should be able to do it. And I'm surely not wrong in assuming that some others here would like to profit from it as well..."

I grin. Wouldn't want to see what Rita Skeeter would call this place. Love nest would probably still be very kind. I don't think either Sirius nor Remus have ever checked who was sleeping where in that past year. They do know about us in any case and they know about Ron and Justin.

"Oh dear, Ron's going to tell Mr. and Mrs Weasley about his relationship with Justin today, Hermione! I hope they can accept it."

"I hope so, too, the two of them really are good for each other. But I'm a bit worried about - there you are... you can hear her up to here!"

We can hear Mrs Weasley's reply to Ron. Oh no! That's going to make him very miserable, I'm quite sure about that. But there's nothing we can do, so we decide to wait it out before we go down. It's about half past nine when we finally turn up in the kitchen. Winky and Dobby bring us breakfast soon after and we find our letters on the table. I give Hermione hers and pick up mine. We look at each other and I say:

"Go ahead! Open it!"

She does. I expect her to have made at least eleven outstanding OWLS, but it could even be more. She's been tested in everything, even Divination. So she can get a maximum of twelve OWLS like Percy. She slits the envelope open with her breakfast knife, pulls the letter out and unfolds it - I'm waiting for the shriek - and there it comes.

"Yay! I've made it, Harry, I've made it! O's for all of them! Even Percy only got eight Outstanding OWLS," she cries out.

I lean in and kiss her.

"My genius! Congratulations, Hermione, well done!"

"Thanks! Now let's see what you got, Harry!"

I open my letter and look at it. Phew! Ten. I only mucked up Divination and Arithmancy, in which case I didn't get any OWLS at all. But I got O's in Defence, Potions???, Astronomy and Charms. The other OWLS are all E's. I think I did a lot better than I expected. I pass my letter over to Hermione and grin.

"I'm happy with ten of them! And having them I don't really care if they're just Acceptable or Outstanding."

"Oh, but you've got an O in Potions, Harry! Snape must be raging if he hears that! I wonder what the others did."

"We'll hear sooner or later. It looks like we're early, most of the letters are still here!"

"So, take our time for breakfast and wait for the rest of the gang, eh?"

"Yep! I'm curious, too."

The next to come in are Parvati, Draco, Neville and Mandy. Morag is right behind them. They all pick up their letters and look at us. But I shake my head.

"Nope, won't tell before you all picked yours up..." I say with a grin.

"Okay, let's all look at the same time!" Mandy suggests.

They open their letters and all look at them. Neville starts to grin and says:

"I've got seven! My gran will be happy! Hermione, how many O's do you have in your twelve?"

She laughs.

"How do you know I have twelve?"

"Oh, that's no question, it's just a question of your marks!" Neville replies casually.

"Well, all of them..."

"What, all of them?" Draco asks a bit dumbly.

"All of my twelve OWLS are O's."

"Wow! Well done. I have nine. Mucked up Divination, Herbology and History," Draco says.

"I have ten. Three Outstanding," says Mandy.

Most of us are in that region I notice. Neville is the last with seven, but he's not missed the others by much it seems. Remus and Sirius turn up and look around questioningly. Of course we all tell them our results. Remus grins contentedly, especially when Ginny and Ernie turn up and Ginny shrieks twice as loud as Hermione.

"I have eleven!!!"

"Wow, Ginny!"

"And eight of them are Outstanding!"

She dances around in the kitchen with a very happy grin on her face. Hermione joins her and soon everyone in the kitchen is hopping around happily. Remus, Sirius and Hermione's parents who have just entered look on and grin. Sirius grabs the camera and takes a whole lot of pictures.

It's early afternoon now, Ron and Justin have turned up again and Sirius insists of making a 'family photo' outside of the whole class. We finally agree and position ourselves in front of the most colourful part of the garden. Remus comes along and says:

"Well, you dear people, I've just checked the lists. You guys managed to hold seven of the top positions in this years OWLS and the rest of you is scattered in the first twenty positions. I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate you and ourselves to this really outstanding achievement! So I've arranged a small ship on the lake of Thun, which will make a roundtrip on the lake for the whole afternoon and evening next Wednesday. All we have to do is organise food and drinks. And music, if you want to dance."

That is great! This is a really cool idea! Of course Remus is always full of good ideas. The Remus I've seen in this past year has only a very faint resemblance with the one I met in the beginning of my third year. He's been the same in the classroom, but otherwise he's been sparkling most of the time, and almost always in an excellent mood. He's also finally bought some new robes and a few new Muggle things. He's put on and kept a bit of weight.

Arthur Weasley has come out with us as well as Mrs Weasley and the Grangers, now Mr. Weasley offers to take a picture of us with Remus and Sirius. We take them in the centre of our group and Arthur takes several pictures. He hands the camera back to Sirius who looks very happy with all of us.

In the next days I notice that Mrs Weasley almost ignores Ron. He doesn't like it and on Monday evening I call him up to his room. We sit down on his bed and I lean on one of the bed posts.

"You're still not okay with your Mum, are you?"

"That's an understatement, Harry! I know I have Dad's blessing and I can only hope Mum will get used to it! I'm so sad right now. And Justin's not happy at all. It's straining for both of us. But I love him. What's wrong with love?"

"Nothing is wrong with love. It's just that she needs time. She's still not entirely happy with what the twins do, and she's held that grudge for quite a while, but I'm sure that sooner or later she'll see her error. Just duck your head until then and don't insist. Be happy with Justin instead, Ron!"

"Thanks, mate. You're right about Mum and the twins. But they seem to get along again."



George


Uh oh, Remus comes over to me. Wonder what he has to say... we haven't exaggerated with our noise yesterday, have we? Besides they told us they cast silencing charms over the neighbour's house... he smiles. Nothing bad then.

"George, do you and Fred have some more fireworks with you?"

"About a suitcase full, why?"

"You can let it all up tonight if you want, because it's 1st August."

"Is that something special?"

"For the Swiss it is... national holiday. Usually an opportunity to blow up thousands of Swiss Francs in smoke, colour sparks and bangs. So as soon as it's dark you have permission to let go of any fireworks you want to... and I accept some help from you guys to build a really big fire that will last for a few hours."

"Oh, you get it!" says my darling twin brother with a wide grin.

"Good. We start right after lunch and that photo session Siri wants to hold."

After lunch and the photos he takes us out to the forest, where we collect tons of smallish branches that have fallen to the ground. All of us help and we get a lot together. Then we go outside and in the middle of the pasture Remus starts building the fire. Dad is eager to watch and see how he gets it up. Remus brings some of the firewood from the house and we add all the wood we've collected in the forest. When it's finished it's a pile that's about two metres high and fairly wide. Remus plants an empty bottle not far from the fire and tells us that this will be used to fire off the Muggle rockets.

Dinner is nice, because it's all meat and salad and garlic bread. Piles of everything and I think I must have eaten half a cow! But that went for all of the boys and some of the girls, too. I'm always amazed at how small Ginny is for everything she eats! It's been great food, everyone is happy, because of the overall excellent OWLS. I've seen their stats and I have to say I envy them for having such great teachers! I'm sure, even Fred and I would have made a load more OWLS than we did with these two. They are serious teachers and fun friends.

It's getting darker now, we've all but eaten every last bit of dessert. Remus gets up and goes inside to fetch all of the fireworks he bought, then we go and get ours and we walk to the pile of wood. By the time we get there it's already quite dark. Remus wets a few rolled up newspapers with spirit, pushes them inside the pile on several low points and then sets them on fire with matches. Dad can't believe that he gets every match to produce a small flame. Remus grins amusedly at Dad's obsession. But he himself is a natural with everything Muggle related.

"Okay, now we wait for the fire to start burning up. No one touches any of that Muggle fireworks unless I give permission, is that understood? You're not used to using it, and I don't want any accidents."

We all promise not to touch the stuff. Then he makes us move a bit further up the hill, from where we watch the fire quietly, looking out for other fires. It's amazing, because after about an hour we spot at least two dozen other fires. And loads of fireworks - nothing too special in our eyes, but these are Muggles after all. Remus allows us to start some of ours, then he gets up and lets something start which he calls a volcano. That's what the carton looks like anyway. What comes out looks like an immense eruption of colourful sparks. Really lovely if one's only out for colour. Our fireworks have a few more effects like one we specially designed for Moony and Padfoot. When we let that one go everyone laughs, because for several minutes we can see a wolf and a dog play across the sky. The two of them laugh the loudest and in the end Sirius thanks us and says that's the cutest thing anyone has ever done for them.

"So, can we start selling them? I think they should be quite good business..." I ask.

"You have our permission."

"Great!"

The evening is really fun. We get to bed very late and sleep immediately. I really like it here.



Sirius


I close the bedroom door behind me and turn to Remus. We've spent a very nice day hiking on a small mountain lake. The water has been too cold to get in, but good to cool down our hot feet. Molly still won't accept Ron and Justin, even though she promised. Sometimes I don't understand that woman. Do all of her kids have to present her with half a dozen children or what? Ron is her sixth son and she still thinks she needs to rule his life. As much as she loves her children she doesn't want to let them go. I just hope they will not leave and never return, I'd feel sorry for Arthur if this was the case. And Molly would become a very lonely woman if she keeps this up.

She's currently making everyone a bit cranky, but I brush this away as I look at Remus, who's taken off his robes and is ready to get into bed. By George, he's beautiful. He's nicely tanned, not something I've seen often before! He knows he doesn't need to hide all his scars here, so he walks around in shorts and that definitely looks great! I mean, he may go all grey on his head now, but that man has a figure to envy! He's also much stronger than he looks. He doesn't even mind that I'm staring at him, but gives a little swing with his hip while he lifts up the blanket to slip underneath. I have to grin at that. That's just like him. I undress quickly, because the faster I've got those garments off my body the faster I can join him in the bed. He stretches out his hand to pull me closer the moment I'm climbing onto the bed.

"Come on, Padfoot!"

"Do you have something in mind, love?" I ask.

"You bet! I've been waiting for this for a whole day!"

I grin. Sometimes I really like it that we're out of harm's way. At least for the time being we have this safe haven here, which is doing us so much good. I cradle my lover into my arms and kiss him tenderly on the forehead.

"I love you, Moony."

"I know, Padfoot. You know that I'll always love you. I'm just amazed that you still find me attractive..."

"Attractive? You're my very definition of sexy, love! I'll never bother with anyone else, as long as I have you, believe me! Because you're also my own personal definition of love."

He smiles, looking pleased.

"Sometimes you can be almost poetic, Pads."

I kiss him, this time on the lips. Just a tender kiss, then one more, this time a bit deeper. Finally he starts nipping my lower lip and I stick my tongue out and right into his mouth. Oh gods, Moony, I'll never get enough of that. Never!



Hermione


The promised trip to the lake of Thun takes place today. I wake up early and enjoy the feeling of Harry's arms around me. He's still asleep and I look him over. He's so cute! I know he'd hate to be called cute, but when he sleeps, he's definitely cute. His long black eyelashes flutter slightly and all of a sudden, the lids fly open. I gaze into the bright green eyes that I love so much. I'm still amazed at that combination of bright green eyes and black hair. Well, it's not totally black, it's just a very, very dark chestnut. I've once read that in many red haired family black is a frequent variation, but the green eyes are really fascinating. Especially that they are so bright, almost clear, not the usual green one sees. I do hope that he passes them on to our children. I'm still thinking about having one. Sometimes I think that we may not have much time and that we should leave something to the world after we're gone. I mean, we'd have Winky and Dobby here to help look after a baby while we're in class or in study sessions. But I'm sure that Harry doesn't feel ready for such a step. He'll want to wait until we've done Voldemort in. As if that was so sure!

"Morning, Harry," I say softly and kiss him.

"Morning, Hermione."

He starts to wake up for good and his arms around me feel stronger. How I love to feel his skin on mine! It's just so right. He deepens the kiss and lets his hand roam over my back. He has learned to know the spots where it feels best for me and presses on that little one just there in the small of my back, oh, that's good!

We're busy for about an hour, before we get up and rush down to the bathroom. Ginny is mostly over at Ernie's, so she uses the girl's shower over there most often. Harry and I get into the shower together, another new experience which I love! He drops a good dollop of shampoo in his hand and proceeds to wash my hair. While I rinse he washes his own, then I apply the conditioner while he starts to wash my body and then his. I think this is one of the most sensual things we do together.

When we finally get dressed and go down to the terrace for breakfast it is to find two visitors. Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall are both sitting at the table with Sirius. We greet them happily.

"Good morning, Hermione, Harry," Dumbledore says, then adds: "I'd like to congratulate you both on your OWLS. As you may have expected you were top of your year again, Miss Granger!"

"Yes, Sirius has told me. I'm so happy about it. I think we've all done well."

"Actually, that's why we are here. Your group has definitely been the best of your year. Sirius and Remus may have told you that seven of you held the seven best positions over all. That means you have excellent teachers," McGonagall adds.

"And we've worked very hard, too, Professor," Harry remarks.

"And you have seemingly worked very hard, too, of course. In any case your good results have given Gryffindor a head start for the next year's cup, and I'd like to thank you all for that. We can start off with 128 points, while the second house, Ravenclaw has only 87."

Wow! I'm really proud of our achievement. But taken that I had twelve outstanding OWLS, Ginny had eleven OWLS, Harry and Ron had both ten and Neville made seven then it was getting quite clear that we've all done well. Mandy and Padma both have made ten OWLS as well. Draco, Justin, Blaise and Morag all have nine, Parvati and Ernie have eight and Neville has seven OWLS and each of them managed to get at least one or two outstanding. That's an excellent result and throws a very good light on our teachers.

"So Ginny is clearly promoted to sixth year then, isn't she?" Harry asks.

"No question. She can not only keep up, she mastered to be second over all in this year's OWLS, which proves that she's an excellent student. She's missing out on being prefect, but I dare say she enjoys being with you all here."

"Well, I could live having missed out myself, but I can safely say that last year here was probably the best time of my life so far," I say and can't hide a satisfied grin.

"I'm very proud of you guys, but you probably already noticed that," Sirius tells us and grins just as widely.

Since he's had no little part in this he has every right to be proud.

"In any case the school governors have been most content with this year's OWLS and some of the examiners have told us immediately after the tests that they were especially amazed at your achievements in the practical tests. And on top of that the school governors have demanded that Sirius and Remus have to be added fully to the Hogwarts staff. When I spoke to them yesterday they practically implored me to take Remus back on the Defence position as soon as we can let you out of your hiding. We'll find something for Sirius to do, too! I could imagine that Severus would not mind to leave his position, since he really hates teaching and would like to go into research. The governors all mentioned that the Potions results of this year's OWLS were the best in the past twenty years and that you thirteen young people here had a good part in them. All of you have passed OWLS in the subject and all of you have E's and O's. Severus was quite, what would you young folks call it? Pissed off?"

We all break out laughing. Sirius snickers and looks at us with a very fatherly pride in his eyes. I know he loves all of us by now and he's really a father figure. He's calmed down so much in the past months it's amazing. I'm quite sure that Remus is the main reason, but maybe teaching us and being around us and having so much fun has a fair part in it, too.

"Professors, we are leaving for a special party this afternoon, would you like to join us? We thought we have to give them something to celebrate their achievement. Both, Remus and I are immensely proud of all of them, especially Neville, who has exceeded all of his expectations. He's been smashed when he found he made an E in his Potions OWL and I'm quite sure that this has not pleased Severus one bit, but I'm terribly proud of him. We're leaving at three in the afternoon, and if you'd like to bring along some more people, that would be just great. We have enough space there for at least fifty people..."

Dumbledore and McGonagall seem to be considering the invitation.

"What do you think, Minerva... Poppy, Edith, Filius and Hagrid? And maybe even Severus?"

"That would be what I just thought, Albus," she says with a smile.

"We'll be back. Now let me just wait for the rest of your class to congratulate them as well. What pleases me most is that your group consists of students from all four houses and given the sworn enmity between some of them I am amazed at how well they are living and working together."

"That would be because we don't give them a chance to be evil with each other. We give them enough homework which has to be done in teamwork, we keep them busy during class, we take them to outings and we encourage them to do things together, but mostly because we're all in this together and live together. There's no one here to egg them on in their dislike of each other," Sirius replies.

Dumbledore nods. Then he says in a slightly dreamy tone:

"Sometimes I wonder if the house distinction is such a good idea after all. Plus I am really tempted to open up another tower for the Slytherins, because living down in these dungeons really can't be good for them. I always flinch at every sorting if I think about those small children having to start living down there. No air, no light..."

"Actually you're quite right about that. Have you seen the tan on our students? My cousin would be SO shocked to see her son! Draco looks lovely with a tanned face. His grey eyes don't look cold anymore."

We're being served our breakfast and the others turn up one by one. Mum and Dad have decided to stay with us for another day to be able to come to our party. Dumbledore gets up and greets them with a handshake. So far they haven't met yet and he introduces himself. Mum and Dad smile at him and tell him how proud they are of me and that they are very happy to see me so happy.

"It's been a great shock to know our child has this magical gift, but in the meantime we're just so proud of her! We always knew she is a special girl," my Dad says.

"You have every reason to be very proud of your daughter, she excels in all of her studies."

While we still sit at the breakfast table, McGonagall walks off and probably goes to fetch her colleagues. She's back two hours later. We've enjoyed a peaceful time talking. Then we see the teachers and the nurse coming over to us. They all greet us excitedly. Hagrid almost cries when he embraces Harry, Ron and me.

"Oh Hagrid, there's no need to cry! We've missed you a lot, you know!" I say.

His bear hug almost crushes me, but I wouldn't want to let go for anything. I think, my parents must be very scared, but they don't know Hagrid.

"Ye're such a good gal, Hermione, I've missed ye, too, ye know! 'T wasn't the same without ye kids. But it's great ter see where ye're living now!"

"Come and see our class room! I'm afraid that you won't be able to get into the kitchen, that's just too low!" I say and pull him over.

He follows me, chuckling, and says:

"That's our Hermione, always a studious one!"

"Well, I can't deny that. Here - how do you like it? Up there on the second floor gallery is the library, we've got the complete Hogwarts library in miniature format there! And on the top floor is our common room. Right now this down here is also the living room. You should see Siri, he's absolutely amazing when he transfigures pebbles into furniture! Everything you can see here has been done by him. I think he uses some sort of a permanent spell that can't be returned, so the stuff really holds.

"He always was one of the best students at Hogwarts, ye know. I'm not too astonished. But I'd say he did great. Ye're feeling well 'ere, don't ye?"

"Absolutely great, Hagrid. - And look at this!"

I show him my ring. He looks at me with big eyes.

"Harry and I are engaged, Hagrid," I say.

"Harry and you? Oy, this is wonderful, Hermione! Ye're gettin' yerself a very good lad there!"

"I think so, too. He's really nice. We have our room to the front of the house, on the top floor. Since Ginny is over at Ernie's most of the time we are almost alone up there. Ron and Justin use mostly Ron's room below ours."

He looks at me, now shocked.

"Ye're not tellin' me that ye're bunkin' together?"

"Sure we do. Harry didn't have a nightmare anymore since he was with me and he doesn't need to be drugged anymore. That alone was worth it."

"Oh, is that so? - And Ron and Justin, eh? Justin Finch-Fletchley, isn't it?"

"Yes. Let's go back to the others. We're having a great plan for today, you'll love it - I hope..."

"How does it go with Remus and Sirius as teachers? They've been a handful, those two. If I spent half me time to chase the Weasley twins out of the Forbidden Forest, I stopped catching these two and their two friends after two years. There's probably no one as knows the forest as them an' me..."

"I suppose so. And I'd bet that at least once in two times you wouldn't have recognised Siri, James and Peter, as they've gone into the forest in their animal forms..."

"Does Sirius still transform? I'd love to see it once."

"Tell him, he doesn't mind to show that one off..."

We reach the others again and Hagrid asks:

"Hey, Sirius, would ye mind ter show me yer dog form? Methinks, I must be the only one who hasn't seen it yet..."

"Sure..."

Sirius transforms and runs around Hagrid who grins widely. He catches the dog between his huge hands and gives him a solid backrub! My parents, who haven't seen Snuffles yet either, stare and shake their heads.

"I'm going to learn that, too, Mum. Sirius promised to teach me and Harry. We've started to study the theory now."

"What? You mean you'll be able to become an animal?" Mum asks, shocked.

"Yes, that's it."

"Dear me, Hermione, why would you want to do that?"

"I don't really know, all I know is that I wanted to do that since Professor McGonagall showed it in class in our third year. She can turn into a cat."

"Which I certainly won't do right now, because I'm really not in the mood to be chased up another tree! Bad dog!" she tells Siri off.

"So you do remember, Minerva!" Remus says with a chuckle.

"Oh, it took me a while, but when I saw this one for about the second or third time I remembered, why he was familiar!"

Bäri comes running and starts playing around with Snuffles. The two of them understand each other just fine. Sirius runs around for a moment, but then he transforms back and catches Bäri.

"That's it, old boy, we have to leave! Some other time!"

We all get ready to leave and load the cars with the food, music supplies and people. It's fairly crammed, but the couples save space by using the lap of one partner. Harry starts by pulling me on his lap and then Dad sits down next to him, pulling Mum into his lap. She screeches and then laughs.

"Oh, George! That's for the kids!"

"Well then, that's just right, we're still big kids after all, aren't we?"

I love to see them bantering. They just still love each other and like to have fun. Mum doesn't protest any longer, she just looks at me and rolls her eyes. I grin. Harry grins, too. He's been ordered to call them Mum and Dad as well and really loves it. He says it's nice to have a set of parents again.

After about an hour we reach Thun. The cars get parked in front of the small ship that will be our party room for the next several hours and we all help unloading and bringing everything on board. Of course we have to do everything the Muggle way and all of us are dressed as Muggles, too. There's a waitress who shows us where we can stow everything to keep it cooled. Sirius and Remus are gone for a moment to find parking spaces for the cars. They're back after a while and we're off.

The ship isn't large. It has an open room with a bench all around, several tables and chairs and there is a counter on the short end just behind the staircase that leads up to the bridge. There are two small bathrooms and outside behind the open room, which is of course mainly consisting of large windows, is an open part which holds benches around and one or two smaller ones in the middle. We can dance on a small dance floor inside. The door to the back consists of two large sliding doors. We're a party consisting of us thirteen students, the twins, my parents and Ron's and the teachers.

McGonagall brought Professors Sprout, Flitwick and Vector, Madam Pomfrey and Madam Hooch and Hagrid along. They're all thrilled to get that short outing. 29 people all in all. Dobby and Winky have made large platters of nice finger food and several bowls of salad. We have garlic bread, which just has to be heated in the ship's galley. Well, after we tell the waitress that we get along just fine without her we of course use magic to prepare everything. The wine case Mr. Patil brought, another case of white wine and one more of red wine are stowed under the counter, the white wine gets nicely chilled. There are several cases of mineral water, equally nicely chilled and other beverages. Next to the garlic bread we have a load of other sorts of bread, Walliser bread again and something which is called farmer's bread here. It's actually a white bread, but it comes in round loaves and has a very crunchy rind. There are small plates with butter, two or three large platters with an array of cheeses, decorated nicely with all sorts of hard boiled eggs, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, nuts and grapes. Remus and Sirius arrange the platters on the counter, so that everyone can just pick up a plate and go around and pick what they want. Glasses, dishes and cutlery is available from the stores on board.

Then the captain comes down and tells us we're ready to leave. It's just past four in the afternoon and still nice and warm. Remus says that it's okay and we all go out and watch how the ship leaves the small port. We're going through what looks like a small channel, then out to the lake. The view is quite nice and we see all the mountains a lot closer than from our house. My Mum asks me if I know the names.

"Well, some of them - the one here right next to us is the Niesen. Then up there are three of the best known mountains in Switzerland, the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. On the other side of them is the beginning of the Aletsch glacier. And if you follow that down all the way you get to where we spent the Christmas holiday skiing. Then over there is the Schreckhorn, the Blüemlisalp, which they call Blüemlere here..."

"Too many incomprehensible names, I'm afraid, Hermione," says Dad and grins.

"Well, that's how it is. You're not at home, Dad!"

"No, I'm not. But you seem to be pretty well at home here..."

"It wasn't that difficult after having the benefits of the Polyglot potion."

"I'd like to learn a couple of languages so easily..." he remarks.

"It only works when you're really in the country and when you hardly hear another language during the time the potion works," I explain.

"Must be a strange feeling!"

"Oh, it was. A very strange feeling."

Once we're out on the lake, Sirius and Remus have set up the stereo system with the help of some of the boys and start playing music of all sorts. The CD-player has a magazine for several discs and allows a random play of all of them, so we get a well mixed program. Soon everyone is mingling around, some eat, some dance, some talk, some play games we've brought along. In between we all look outside and enjoy the wonderful surroundings. Despite it being in the middle of the week there are quite a lot of sailing boats out.



Sirius


It was one of Remus' best ideas yet. We can see something of the lovely area and at the same time we have a great party! The kids really deserved it. I'm so proud of them, as if they were my own. I know Remus feels the same. I'm actually happy that we will spend more time here. At the same time I'm very aware that once they will leave us it will be very hard, as they've become like a family to us. I look at them mingling around and having fun. I walk around with the wine bottle, refilling glasses. Albus looks at the bottle and says:

"That's a very nice wine..."

"Vaidyanathan Patil brought the case. He thought it would be nice for Remus and I for a romantic evening, but we like to share. This is probably one of the nicest ways of sharing it I can imagine."

"Thank you for sharing it with us then, Sirius."

Albus, Minerva, Edith Sprout, Madam Hooch, Filius Flitwick and Madam Pomfrey are placed at one of the long tables, together with the other adults. Remus and I join them and leave the kids to their own partying. We enjoy a long evening of talking and sharing experiences. I get to sit next to Poppy for a while.

"How is Remus doing, Sirius?" she asks me.

"Just fine, Poppy. Hermione, Ginny and I are brewing his potion. Hermione even managed to alter it a bit so it's less vile. He doesn't even need to seclude himself, just for the actual transformation, which is as bad as it always was of course, but after that he's fine enough to stay with us until it's time to sleep."

"He looks very healthy."

"Oh, he's probably never been that healthy since he's been bitten. His parents would be very relieved if they were still around."

"You miss them, don't you?"

"I do," I confirm, "they were like the parents I always wished I had."

"You're not anything like them, Sirius! We all thought they were despicable."

"And my brother wasn't any better. I'm glad they're gone, the whole lot."

"Well, if you don't have any children your family will die out..." she says.

"I don't really care. I hope to watch how Harry and Hermione will raise a bunch of children, that will make me happy enough. They're so sweet those two."

"How is Harry doing? Nightmares..."

"Gone since he's sharing his bed with Hermione. We were very glad when he didn't need any potions anymore, but he still suffered from bad dreams. He's been together with Hermione since last December and ever since then he's not had any. Except for the few days at Hogwarts when he slept in the boys' dorm and she was in the girls'."

"Do you know if they are sleeping together?" she asks.

"Yes. They do. They've used the spell, but I think, Hermione is looking up the potion now."

She grins. Poppy has never been a prudish one.

"Good. Are there any other couples?"

"Oh yes. There's Ginny, she's together with Ernie McMillan, but I think they're not sleeping together, even though she regularly sleeps over in his room. Parvati Patil and Draco Malfoy. Not sure about those two. Padma Patil and Blaise Zabini. I'm not sure if they've gone all the way either. Seems I'll have to speak to them all for a bit... then there's Ron and Justin."

"You should know what's going on. They're under your roof, I'm not sure if the Patils would be too pleased..."

"Luckily they all know about their children's doings. We've had all the parents here for a week now. That was really good, because they could see where their children are and how they are doing. And we could get to learn the parents of our kids. I know Draco's of course and I can do without them, and I know the Weasleys, Grangers and Patils. But the rest... it was good to get to know them."

A while later Edith Sprout comes to me and we get to talk a bit about the Herbology stuff she wants me to do with the students. We'll have to enlarge the greenhouse and we'll have to leave one section for the magical gardening there. I'm sure, Barb will be very interested, I'll invite her to join us.

"Who will teach practical Herbology, you or Remus?"

"Seeing as Remus is even worse than I it will probably be me - with the assistance of Neville Longbottom," I say and grin.

She laughs.

"Yes, he's really good at the stuff. And so devoted to the plants. He has a very green thumb. Should've been a Hufflepuff that one. His gran was, did you know that?"

"Oh yes, she told us often enough. I was friends with Frank after school."

"Yes, another solid Hufflepuff that one. Anyway, I'd like to come and give you some start-up help, if we can get to it..."

"Sure - we're flexible, just come any time. I'll have to have the greenhouse we have enlarged. It's not very big."

"I'll have a look at it. I know you're very capable of getting this done. Your students did all exceedingly well."

"They did. Ernie and Justin were right in the middle of them and both did very well."

"So well, that Amelia Bones told me she wished Susan were with your lot..."

I have to laugh.

"Did Susan so bad with her OWLS?"

"Could've done better, to be honest. She tried hard. She's just not her mother. Sometimes I think Amelia lets her feel that too much."

"That's sad."

"It is. Because she'd need a confidence boost badly. Instead she's probably been told off terribly. Nothing much I can do. I tried to tell Amelia not to be too hard with her. I guess the parents of your students were all happy?"

"Those that are still around, yes. Blaise is now under Remus' guardianship and he's done very well. Nine OWLS, three outstanding. Harry had ten, four outstanding. Snape will probably be furious, once he hears that he's received an outstanding OWL in Potions!"

"Oh, but that's excellent."

"We're very proud of them, Professor. They've all done much better than expected. Okay, we could expect Hermione to follow up on her best positions in her previous four years, but..."

"...twelve outstanding OWLS is almost as good as Tom Riddle's. He's managed to put in one subject more. And was outstanding in eleven of the thirteen OWLS. But her points were better."

"Wow. I'll make sure to tell her that."

"HE should be told. I've only seen about two thirds of my house's students last year and this year won't be better. But I hear the Death Eaters are not pleased with our decentralisation of Hogwarts. The castle is basically as safe as ever, but if the children are completely away from everything..."

"It's done ours good. Which is important, since they're going to face the Death Eaters sooner or later. Two of them have faced Pettigrew and helped me to stun him. You should have heard them, all of them were pure indignation and really told him off. Remus told me he had tried to bribe him. When it didn't help Pettigrew casually told the kids he's a werewolf. His bad luck that they already knew and have no problem with it. So they told him what they thought of him and that was nothing much."

"They seem to like the two of you..."

"It certainly looks like it. Of course they're also fighting with each other, but that's normal and usually cools off in a short time. Over all they like each other and they like Remus and me. I'm pretty sure they'd go through fire for each other or us. I was just thinking before how much I'm going to miss them once they leave us."

"Well, once they leave you, the two of you will come back to Hogwarts."

"Looks like it. I think I'd like that. I mean I got to teaching almost accidentally, but I really think I'm doing quite a good job."

"Believe me, once Voldemort's out of the picture, Severus will be out of Hogwarts in no time. You should do well as Potions teacher."

"I like the subject, even though I'm probably better at Transfiguration."



Parvati


Draco comes out of the inside and levitates a tray with fresh drinks and two plates of food. I look up, but the captain doesn't look down at all. Draco follows my glance and grins.

"Dumbledore told me he's put an illusion charm up, that bugger up there doesn't see any magic performed. I think he did it because of Hagrid..."

"I thought it would be a bit difficult to oversee Hagrid."

"Definitely. Here. That's what you like, isn't it? I've picked a bit more salad."

"That's just fine, thanks."

Draco can be a cavalier if he wants to, and then he's really sweet. Tonight he seems to like to turn out the charmer. I'm still a bit on edge, even after all these months, whether he really likes me or if he only uses me. But so far I think I'm quite safe. I'm glad that Hermione came with that potion recipe. We'll have a girl's day next week and brew the contraceptive potion for the four of us. No bothering with spells for six months.

"Did I tell you that we're going to brew the contraceptive potion next week?" I ask Draco, who now sits down next to me and starts to eat.

"Nope, you didn't. Do you want my help?"

"Well, I don't think we'd mind. After all it's also for the benefit of you guys!"

He grins a bit sheepishly and admits:

"Sure. So I'd better round up Harry, Ernie and Blaise, you mean?"

"I don't know, I think the four of us should actually be able to brew the stuff correctly. Hermione makes the Wolfsbane potion all by herself after all... and that must be one of the most difficult potions to brew."

"That's true. This is going to be great, no danger of forgetting the spell..."

"That's what we thought."

We sit together and eat up. All of a sudden there's a slight shadow over us and then we see Remus sitting down opposite of us.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi Remus," I reply.

"May I talk to the two of you for a moment?" Remus asks.

"Sure - what's up?"

"Well, I was about to ask you that. I've heard about Hermione's plan to brew the contraceptive potion. I wanted to know if you plan to take it as well."

"I do," I say simply.

He nods. Then he asks me bluntly:

"Have you two been sleeping together already?"

Draco looks at me. I look back at him and he shrugs.

"Yes, we have, Remus. But we've been using the spell. Hermione didn't keep her knowledge for herself and for once I was pretty glad about it."

Remus grins.

"Good. I just wanted to make sure you know your responsibilities."

"We've noticed that you and Sirius never check who sleeps where..." Draco remarks.

"Draco, we're responsible for you, but we flat out refuse to be your chaperones. You have to know when you're ready for what and find out for yourselves. But if you ever have questions about anything, don't hesitate and come ask. Okay?"

"Okay," we both confirm.

"Fine. You've every right to be happy, you know."

With that he gets up and I see him moving over to Padma and Blaise. I suppose they get the same speech, but I'm quite glad he and Sirius are so easy with these things.

"Must be because they grew up in the Seventies. Mum sometimes tells us stories of their wild days," I tell Draco.

"Could well be. Though my parents were always stiff as boards."

"It's easier with parents who had their amount of fun. They are much more accepting." I muse.

"Probably."

And after putting away the plates and quickly cleaning them with a spell we return to the back of the ship where we find a comfortable corner for a bit of snogging.



Hermione


Dancing time for us, teacher bonding time for Siri and Remus, this is really great. We all feel the need for some levity. The Daily Prophet has reported more and more attacks on Muggles. We know that Voldemort has been able to recruit about 200 new Death Eaters and they are being spread all over Britain to do their damage on mainly Muggle communities. It always looks like huge accidents. A mass collision on a motorway. A train jumping off its track. Another train colliding with a freight train. Especially with the trains the British Muggles are wont to explain it with the well known fact that all privatised train systems have had a significant lack of time and money invested in maintenance and renovation. There have been about 500 people killed in Britain in the past two months and still the Muggle government hasn't found out that there is some plan behind it. How can this be stopped? Harry and I sit down at the table where the teachers talk with each other for a while, and of course they're discussing these events. According to a report from Snape, which Dumbledore relates to Siri and Remus, Voldemort has ordered that the Death Eaters are not allowed to put the Dark Mark in the sky if they kill Muggles. It's only hovering over killed witches and wizards. I frown. This has already gone on too long. Sure, there were about two dozen witches and wizards killed as opposed to these over 500 Muggles, but there will be more, I'm sure.

It's hard to go back to dancing, but Sirius turns around to me and says:

"You're too young and already too involved to listen to all that crap, you two! Go out there and dance! Take every moment you can get, you may not have a long life..."

"It's just hard to do that while there's such horrible things happening," I say and swallow hard.

"I know. But you have to. We can only hope to be rid of this and remain unscathed. So far you've all been lucky, there wasn't anyone close to you who died. Your parents have been supplied with the means to get away before they can even be touched, Hermione. But it is well possible that one of these days it hits someone closer to home. So live!"

I give him a great hug when I get up.

"Love you, Siri. We'll get through this!"

"Love you, too, child! Go, be happy with Harry!" he whispers.

Merlin, I love this man as much as I love my father. I give him a small smile even though I feel a great big lump in my throat.



Albus


I follow the two teenagers with my eyes, as they go back to the other students. Then I look at Sirius and have to smile.

"She's the daughter I'll never have, Albus. It's an amazing feeling to know that she loves me like a father. Well, I'll be sort of her father-in-law, but that's unimportant. It's just that I love them both so much and everyday I'm praying to whatever deity is out there willing to help us that we get them through this alive!" he says.

I nod. I am proud of what Sirius has become in the past 15 months. He is a real prodigy in many ways. He has not had a chance to develop and mature in the twelve years of his prison sentence and after he got out of that horrible place he had to live two years on the run, barely alive, simply functioning on all the adrenalin in his blood. And finally he has been scooped up in the same place for another many months. And still he manages to think of others first.

"How do you live with being held in that house, Sirius?" I ask him.

"I hold up quite well, I think. Mainly because of Remus, but of course also because of Harry and Hermione and the rest of the gang. And we are not locked in, we've gone out here many times. We're always weary of hitting on Death Eaters of course, but over all I'm doing fine. I even wondered if I'm settling down. Azkaban has made me rather restless, but I may have run off some of that while on the run. Finally there's enough to do that helps me keep my focus. It's not like I'm having to sit around and get too much time to brood. And I have Remus to talk things through. He's really good at that."

"I am glad about that. You have the right to leave, just to remind you."

"Yes, I know. But now that I can I don't want to. Isn't it ironic? It's more that I like what I'm doing. And of course there's Remus. It all comes down to us being together."

"That is good. So I may be able to keep hold of you as a future professor at Hogwarts!" I say with a smile.

I know he will not be easy to catch. But Sirius will be a great asset for our staff, as he is good at many things. He has done an excellent job preparing these children for their OWLS in no less than five subjects and they have almost all succeeded. None has failed totally. In his two main subjects Transfiguration and Potions his thirteen students have scored most of the Outstanding OWLS. Every other headmaster would lick his fingers for such an all rounder. Though Remus is as good as Sirius. I do not know what I would like him more to teach at Hogwarts, History or Defence against the Dark Arts. He is just as good in Charms. And I do have the impression, that not only Harry and Hermione love them as much more than teachers. I feel like sighing. The current situation is so difficult.

Looking around right now it seems so wrong to think about these dark times. Slowly the sun is coming down and this is one lovely area to watch a sunset. Remus comes by and tells us to come outside to see how the mountains are all painted in red and gold. What a wonderful view! The lake is encircled by mountains and Remus is right. They are glowing in every shade of red and pink. Some of the children have cameras with them and take pictures.

All of a sudden I think much more positive. The memories these children will keep from these years here in Switzerland will be precious for all of them, I am sure. That alone is a wonderful result. They are getting the same kind of quality education as they would be getting at Hogwarts. They have, though actually scooped up in a safe house, much more personal freedom than their schoolmates at the castle, who cannot mingle with the other houses. And of course Sirius and Remus allow them a lot of freedom to spend time with their loved ones. I am very glad, that all parents know about what is going on among them and are tolerating it. If not, I would certainly have received a couple of Howlers by now. The teenagers seem to be comfortable with it.

I watch as they dance, some sit around quietly and enjoy a bit of, what do they call it again? Ah yes, "snogging". It is a part of growing up. They are all over sixteen except for Ginny Weasley, who is fifteen, but her OWL results have proven that she is not really the youngest among them. This daughter of Arthur's is one promising young witch.

I turn to Arthur and ask:

"You must be very proud of young Virginia, Arthur..."

"Very! Considering she's one year younger and had a year less of training, maybe even almost two, since she's been almost cheated out of her first year, she's done better than Bill and Percy. She had one OWL less than they did, but one or two outstanding OWLS more. You should have heard Fred and George! They were congratulating her and bowing to her. And then thanked her for putting Percy to shame..."

I chuckle. I have never told anyone how much these two high spirited boys have amused me. Their antics may have been very unnerving for the unfortunate people on their jokes' ends, but their entertainment value was immense.

"I hear the young gentlemen have started a successful business?"

"Actually it looks like it. Not that Molly approves of it, and it's hard for her, but they grow up and have to seek their own fortune."

Arthur looks around, notices that Molly is not in hearing distance and continues:

"Molly takes it very hard that she cannot rule her growing children's lives. It's a real good thing we've got her occupied in the Order now, otherwise she'd be meddling even more. I happen to be very proud of all of my children and I think they are doing well. So what if the twins weren't so uptight and interested in their academics, they have their talents elsewhere and they're using them well. I'm happy for them."

"I think, you might be right in this one. I noticed that Molly seems to be a bit reserved with Ron?"

"That's another thing. Ron told us last week that he's gay. Now Molly doesn't really have prejudices, she accepts Sirius and Remus just fine, even if she doesn't think they are fit to be parents, but her own children, oh dear. They have to be just like she wants them. So this will take a while until she's going to be over it. She's still holding the grudge that the twins didn't excel on their OWLS and were only a bit better on their NEWTS. Ron knows that and it's hard for him."

"I see. It is not exactly something Ronald has chosen himself, now is it?"

"That's just it. And that's why Molly takes it so hard. She even accused Sirius and even more Remus that they didn't watch over the kids well enough and let this happen."

"I could imagine that they were giving advice, in case the boys asked for it. They have both always been quite open about it. I have rarely seen a couple so well matched as Remus Lupin and Sirius Black."

"Though they seem to be opposites in almost everything."

"Not so much as you would think. Their political, social and most of their cultural attitudes match extremely well. They just have different temperaments. And of course it does take one extremely patient and gentle Remus Lupin to get along with all of Sirius' antics. Though the young master Lupin had a very mischievous way, too. He was just always clever enough to be rarely caught... You know, there are many similarities between those two and your twins. There is one main difference and that was the academic achievements, both, Sirius and Remus, were excellent students."

"Do I hear you talking about us behind our backs?" Sirius asks from behind.

Arthur and I turn around and smile at him.

"Actually, yes, we did, Sirius, but I can guarantee that Albus had nothing but good things to say about you two!" Arthur says with a smile.

Sirius holds the wine bottles and fills our glasses again. He grins and admits:

"Well, Arthur, I haven't only been an angel back in my school days, believe me. You may know that your twins regard Moony and I as something like their heroes for pulling all those pranks we did. But I'm not proud of them all... not anymore."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, Sirius. Albus just said you were both excellent students."

"That was quite easy. I was amazed at how quickly I had that knowledge back - well, the fifth year part of it in any case. It was fun to delve into that academic stuff again. I didn't mind the learning, I just hated the time wasted on studying! Though study I did, too," Sirius says with a smirk.

He does look happy. Sirius has always been a student and then a young man who was very close to my heart, because I saw much of my own youth in his behaviour. I used to be just as rash, as reckless, until I myself made some hard experiences that taught me about the use of being more mild mannered. Sirius will get there. It was extremely hard to have to think he was the traitor who betrayed his best friends. I was honest back then, because I knew nothing else but that he was their Secret Keeper. Ever since Sirius told me the truth, there was a little voice nagging inside of me that I should have insisted on a trial back then. I should have doubted and I should have known he could not have done it.

The two young men are the future of Hogwarts though. Remus Lupin and Sirius Black will grow into very good teachers who will be able to carry the responsibility for the school when I shall be gone. They have the quality that will be needed to upkeep Hogwarts as an independent haven of learning. A place where the truth will always be preferred to easy half truths or lies. I know that Minerva will lead them on as best as she can until they are ready.



Remus


I really enjoy this party. It's so nice to catch up with my colleagues, whom I missed greatly in the time since I had to leave Hogwarts. I had been good friends with Poppy since my own school days, when she used to care for me after the moons. And I had become a good friend of Filius Flitwick's and Edith Sprout. Hagrid of course is another one who I befriended early on. Though it was a strange feeling three years ago to get to learn to know my former teachers as colleagues. They were kind enough to make it easy for me. I always enjoyed the easy way Filius interacted with us students. I always took him as one good example, because not only did he teach us well, he was well loved by almost every student at the school. I always thought it was astonishing that no one takes advantage of his kindness, but that might be, because he was able to hold a class in firm hands, if he needed to.

Edith is also easygoing, even if she's that in a different way. She has a very dry humour and does not hold back to use it if a situation is best solved with it. She's also well liked by everyone.

So we casually chat the evening away. I do get up and dance a bit with Siri. We always used to like dancing, which was one of our favourite ways of getting hot for each other. Nights out dancing always ended with sex and almost always very good sex.

We have booked the ship until midnight. When it's getting close to midnight the captain is on his way back to the shore and we disembark shortly after midnight after clearing up everything magically. Albus obliviates the man to make sure he doesn't remember anything strange. We all pile into the cars and leave for home.



Sirius


I pack my car full of friends. We drive back to the Sunnegg, let our friends out before the anti-apparition border and say goodbye to them. Then we return home.

The next day we bring the Grangers to the airport in Zürich. We watch them checking in and then say our goodbyes before they vanish through the passport check. Hermione hugs them one more time and says:

"Mum, Dad, you know how much I love you! Please, if anything happens, promise me to make use of those security devices Professor Dumbledore has given you! Don't hesitate, don't look back, just go! Avada Kedavra is so bloody fast and so bloody permanent, I don't want to lose you!"

"Yes, child, rest assured that we will have those things handy and make use of them, the first black cloak we see," Helen promises.

"Good. Have a good flight back home, Mum. It was great to have you both here!"

"It was wonderful to be here, darling. We're going to miss you terribly. So keep sending letters of how you all are doing, will you?" George says.

"Yes, we will."

George and Helen shake hands with Arthur, Harry and I, hug Hermione one last time and step into the small passage where the customs officer checks their passports. Then they're gone. I gather the three who came along to see them off and we return to the car. Hermione shows Arthur how the ticket machine works, where we pay for the parking. He happily drops the coins she gives him into the slot and watches how the ticket is returned.

"Can you hold it until I need it, Arthur?" I ask him.

"Sure. Just tell me..."

We find the car, Arthur gets in on the passenger seat, Harry and Hermione on the backseat, then I get out of the parking spot. I slowly drive down to the exit. Arthur hands me the ticket back while I lower the window. I put the ticket in. Everything is observed by Arthur as if he's seeing it for the first time. No wonder the children find him so endearing. So do I because he is one of the sweetest people I've ever met. Like Remus he has been able to bring some childlike ability to find joy in the smallest of things into his adult life. Many people who talk about Arthur mistake this for being childish, but he's a very down to earth realistic person. Not to speak powerful, but he hides that perfectly well behind his kind manners.

The drive home takes a while. It's beautiful weather and I suggest another route than the highway. We take a more scenic ride through central Switzerland until we reach our home. Since that takes longer I think of calling Remus on the phone and informing him we'll be back late. We get there after dinner, but Dobby and Winky whip up something for us quickly.

The next days are spent with more outings. There's a rainy day which we use for a tour to the museum of telecommunication in Bern. Then there's the day we go to the Museum of Traffic in Lucerne, which is a full success with everyone. And the last outing we can squeeze in before the Weasleys leave is a trip to the Alpamare. This is a very fun kind of a bath with lots of different pools, inside and outside. There is a wave pool, a pool in which to swim against the current and others, and then there are the wonderful water slides of all sorts. Some are outdoors, some are inside of pipes, slower and faster ones.

This is a total hit for all of us. Even Remus finds the slides fun and he really isn't one for roller coasters or such. But we spend a very exhausting day there. Everyone is thoroughly soaked, exhausted and we drive back very carefully, since both of us, Remus and I are very tired. All the kids are still excited enough about the day to ask us if we can't go back there once later on.

"Yes, I think we could all take that again, couldn't we?" I say and grin.

"This was really fun. Why don't wizards ever make something fun like this or skiing?" Draco asks.

"I don't know. We don't seem to need that kind of entertainment industry, Draco. Which is probably why we don't have anything corresponding to television or all of those lovely games we have at home," I comment.

"Probably you're right about that. I'm just thinking, couldn't we invent something like this thing? George? Fred?" Draco asks.

"You're a genius, Draco! You know what? We'll think about that and if we come up with ideas you can chip in and become associate..."

"There! I think I might have an idea of something to do after school!" Draco says happily.

I have to grin. They're planning, I think this is something of the most positive I've overheard them talking. They're planning a future as if there was no war. I think they're on the right track. So I don't spoil their fun in thinking up things they could use from the idea of the Alpamare to change into something fun for the wizarding world.

Five days later it's time for Arthur, Molly, Fred and George to leave. We're staying behind, now focusing on getting ready for the new school year, which will start in three weeks.

While I'm brewing Remus' next Wolfsbane potion the girls come into the class room and start their contraception potion. It seems they haven't expected me to be there, but I know what they're up to, so I tell them to get started already. They grin. Then Hermione puts the recipe on the whiteboard, so they can follow it easier and they all prepare the ingredients. I'm concentrating on my own potion, but I'm gaining routine by now and it becomes easier.

I've always liked Potions. Of course we had a much better time at it during our school days, because we had a decent teacher. Not that Severus couldn't be an excellent teacher, but he chooses to be unpleasant, so he's not exactly had very many excellent students. And not many of his students seem to have even considered a career in the field.

I'm almost done, when I add the aconite into the potion with the silver ladle. Now I have to stir counter clockwise for seven times, six, seven, done. I pull out the ladle and fill the potion into a large glass bottle. It steams like it's supposed to. I put a stopper on the bottle and then quickly wash out the cauldron, so the stench will leave the room. We've all gotten used to it by now, but none of us likes it. At least it's helping Remus.

I spend the rest of the day outside working on more of the sixth year syllabus in Transfiguration. We'll be going through more intricate methods of transfiguring materials into other materials, rapid human-animal transfigurations and more size changing transfigurations. Minerva has already sent me her plans, upon which I'm making my own. I'm expecting Severus with his plans to shape up the lesson plans for Potions.



Edith Sprout


Today I'm taking off for a few days in Switzerland. I'm to supervise the take-off of the group's greenhouse for more practical Herbology. I'm checking my papers, my suitcase and the materials I'm to take along. Yes, everything is okay. All I have to do now is see Albus and bid goodbye until early next week. I take a broom and ride to the gates, from where I'm apparating to that lovely place in Switzerland. I ride the broom up to the house, where I'm welcomed very warmly by the whole group.

They show me to a lovely room on the top floor with the most wonderful view of the mountains. When I return to them Remus and Sirius offer a freshly made iced tea and we sit outside on a terrace, covered with sunshades. There is a long table with benches on both sides. The children have taken residence either at the table or on deck chairs which are placed at the back end and on a small lawn at the far side of the house.

"This is one wonderful house!" I tell Remus and Sirius.

"Yes, we've decided to buy it. We'll come back here for vacations once we'll not need to hide out anymore. Next week we'll have the roof redone completely. We've already agreed with the former owners that we can be credited with everything we paid to give the house a higher value, the price is set. All we need now is the whole procedure settled and pay for the house. Barb and Housi have found a nice flat in a senior apartment house, where they will be closer to the shops and whatever they need. So we'll get the whole farmhouse and the small house. Since they've only had a tiny mortgage on the houses they're getting enough to pay for years and years at their new place," Remus says.

"Oh, so you'll be all by yourself here then?"

"Yes, but of course we do hope to see them now and then, they're really great people. You'll meet Barb tomorrow, when we start on the greenhouse, which I have enlarged the way you said I should. She's a superb gardener as you can see right in front of you. And she'll be highly interested in all things magical gardening!"

"I can see that she has a very beautiful garden here. But didn't you say she's a Muggle?"

"She is. But once she learned that we are schooling the kids here she started to come in and attend classes. She's really interested in a lot and she's good in the theory of many of our subjects now. We've given her stuff to read and I think she's really doing great. She just can't do it practically. But she enjoys herself immensely, so we don't mind her being there at all..." Sirius tells me.

I chuckle. This must be quite a special Muggle then.

I get to know her the same evening, when she comes to water her garden. Some of the students jump up to help her with it. Remus introduces us once the kids are busy and the lady is free.

"Edith, this is Barb Leuenberger. Barb, this is Edith Sprout. She's the Herbology professor at Hogwarts. You two certainly find a lot of common interests!"

"Nice to meet you, Professor," she says, "please call me Barb like everyone else here."

"I'm glad to meet you, Barb, then you must call me Edith!"

Sirius is right. It doesn't take ten minutes and we're already happily chatting about everything garden related. There are many things that are different in wizarding gardening, but that's mostly because we do work with magical plants. Most of the techniques of planting, weeding, pruning and even harvesting are very similar. We spend a very pleasurable evening.

The next morning, Sirius takes me to Bern to see a Herbologist where we can get all the plants which will be needed. I am pleased to find out he's studied at Hogwarts and has even been one of my first students there. He recognises me immediately and calls out:

"Look there, Professor Sprout! How nice to see you again, Madam!"

"Oh, but you are Michael Rothen! I remember you well. How have you been?"

"Very well, thank you, Professor! What brings you here?"

"We have to get some magical plants for sixth year students for next winter."

I give him the list of magical plants the students are supposed to study. He looks it over and asks:

"Do you need them all right now?"

"Only the Crinkleweed and the murtlap. The rest - let's see. You should be getting these two done by about November, Sirius, so the next group of plants here you should deliver in the second or third week of November, these here by the third week of January and the rest in the third week of March..."

"Okay, that will be done. Are you teaching classes here?"

"Not myself. Sirius Black here will do the actual teaching."

"Ah, so you're the person I deliver this to?"

"Correct."

"Pleased to meet you, sir. You'll have the first batch of plants in a few days."

"Good. You will find us just a bit above Lützelflüh."

"Can you tell me where there?"

Sirius draws up a small plan and Rothen puts it away.

"Thanks, I think I should find this."

"Please keep this very safe. We're in a hidden location there, because we're targets of the Death Eaters around Voldemort."

"Oh, in this case I'll destroy it after memorising it tonight. Wouldn't want you in trouble!"

"That will be the best thing you can do. Thank you very much."

We return to the farmhouse. I wonder if this Herbologist will keep his promise about destroying the plan. When I tell Sirius my small bout of mistrust he snorts.

"Back to the same as 15 years ago, aren't we, Edith? Well, you're right about being careful. We will check the map a bit more often in the next few days, especially after he delivered his stuff..."

"Oh yes, I forgot about the map. That's a very powerful device."

"And the Death Eaters have no idea we have it. The how to's are not to be found in a Dark Arts book, so they probably won't ever find out."

I laugh. This is so like Sirius.

"You're always full of brilliant ideas, Sirius..." I say.

"Oh, but this one was definitely Remus' idea! He's great with things like these. Remus has been behind almost all of our more successful pranks. Peter used to sniff out the passwords we needed, but Remus was the planning master for the ideas James and I had."

"How well I remember some of them. Minerva still has kittens over your pranks, Sirius."

He laughs. I have to say that he's really beautiful when he laughs. The boyish beauty is totally gone, Azkaban saw to that, but since he's been back to regular food and a healthy, normal life he's regained a lot of his beauty. There are some lines, but they just make that face very manly. He has wonderful blue eyes, lively and beaming most of the time. He looks to be in good form. And he's able to laugh freely again. I understand why Remus is so happy with him.

On the next day we are in the greenhouse and I show Sirius what the plants he gets need. Neville is there as well and he's very attentive. What a gift this boy has with plants. I'm glad he has that! Forgetful, what nonsense. He's done so well in his OWLS and he'd never have if Snape continued to put him down. Sirius and Remus seem to be a lot better for Neville, as he's easy around Sirius. Sirius is not condescending with him, he has a way of giving the boy confidence that quite astonishes me.

My stay at the farmhouse, I still can't properly pronounce that name, is a very happy one. It's almost like a vacation. I give Sirius the syllabus for the sixth years and tell him what he has to watch out for. So when I return to Hogwarts I'm quite confident that their plants will survive.



Draco


Break is almost over now. We're all quite tired from all the bustling about. Some of it was really quite entertaining like the Alpamare, to which we returned once more last week. Those slides are great. Some of them allow more than one person on the mat or whatever one gets to slide down on. Some of them are getting very fast! Loved to hear Parvati squeal. She gets excited so easily. But she's great in many things. Okay, she's not the cleverest girl on this planet, but she has a few strong sides. And besides being beautiful she's an amazing lover. I really like to have her around. She's lousy in chess, but an ace in Exploding Snap. And she makes for the softest pillow in the world.

I've been wondering if I'm actually in love. I think I'll have to ask Remus once. There must be signs, only I don't know them. All I know is that something's missing if she doesn't sleep next to me. And if she doesn't sit next to me at the table or in class.



Remus


Only two more days until September 1st. We'll do it like last year, we have a small start of term feast... it's on a Sunday so classes really start right on the next day. We have all their school books. They got here a bit late, so Hermione hasn't got much of a head start this time. It's funny that I think of that, but just as I did, Harry teased her with it. She did not like it very much. Everyone else did though. Padma expressed it:

"For once we measure with the same length, Hermione! But you'll be way ahead of us in no time, I'm sure! No worries!"

We all laugh, though Hermione still doesn't find it funny.

The weather has been very nice all through August. We've had some thunderstorms during some of the nights, but the days have been nice and warm. We're all ready, so we spend the last two days being lazy. On Saturday morning Siri wakes me with a kiss and a randy expression on his face which I recognise as his "I know it's early morning, but I need you right now" face. I grin and kiss him back. It's going to be harder to find time for early morning love making as soon as classes start again. I start caressing Siri, while I'm still working on waking up. He grins when he sees me yawning and kisses me all over my face. It's nice and warm under the duvet, which we need as the nights have become more crisp. The window is open and it's cool in the room.

"Morning, Siri..." I mumble and yawn again.

"Morning, sweetheart."

He starts pushing down the covers, but I shiver immediately and pull mine back up.

"Sorry, but can we please stay under that warm cover? I'm freezing!"

"But that's no fun!"

"Then close the window first, please!" I whine.

He kisses me again, gets his wand and closes the window. Then he pushes the cover back down and casts a warming spell.

"Anything else you need?" he asks.

"Your cock up my arse..." I reply.

"I can do that, I think..."

But we take our time. I'm still too sleepy and he doesn't like to rush things. I have nothing against that. He starts to work his way down and by the time he sucks my cock into his mouth I'm finally fully awake. I'll never get enough of this. I'll never get enough of seeing his face when he sucks on my cock. It's one of the most wonderful memories of him I'll keep should I survive him. The feeling is always incredible. I'm getting so weak all I can do is throw my head back on the pillow and pull him even closer. Every nerve in my body seems to be on fire. I can even feel the tingle in my toes. Oh, but it's good. I moan and I notice my moans are getting louder, but I can't do anything, he's getting me near the edge quickly. I know that he'll slow down, just before I come, then wait until I've cooled a bit and resume his sucking. I pant by now, he's had me very close to my climax about half a dozen times. The bastard knows exactly when I'd come, so he stops just a second before. I am close to screaming now. He looks up and holds the tip of my stiff cock between his teeth, I can feel them, but it's a wonderful feeling, there's no pain. Or I'm so far gone I can't feel it as pain anymore. He pulls away shortly and asks in that husky voice of his:

"Do you want to come now, love?"

I'm trying hard, but it's almost impossible to say something coherent between my panting. I take a deep breath and say:

"Please..."

"Please what?"

"Please, Siri, please let me come..."

"That's asking for it nicely now... here comes!"

He lowers his mouth around my cock again, the moist heat is back, the suction, too, and the gorgeous feeling. I can't really think anymore, but I think I'm screaming his name when I finally let go and feel that unbelievably good moment for which I crave so much. Those very few seconds that seem to last so much longer. Oh, it's all over too fast!

I let Siri do the 'work' today. I think I'm almost ready to go back to sleep again. But I turn to my side, let him crawl back up behind me and he pulls me into his arms. I turn my face up to him. Immediately he's closing the space between us and kisses me. I let myself drop down on my back, so that I can put my arms around him. I still gasp and catch my breath.

"Oh, Siri-love, that was incredible! Thanks," I whisper.

"You're welcome, Remy. Any time..." he replies and we kiss again.

I close my eyes for a while and let my hand take a walk on his skin. It's so incredibly soft, something that constantly amazes me, because I still remember how ruined his body looked after being locked up in Azkaban for so long. We take a break, but then he starts to prepare me and I give him better access. Oh, I want you now, love. You've made me horny and I can hardly wait any longer. Again I turn on my side and with one swift movement you close up, part my buttocks and push inside. Aw, come inside! You hold me close, so you're the one moving, but I still manage to meet your thrusts. You have worked yourself back to lasting much longer again, so I can enjoy you for many, many thrusts before you reach your climax. Ooh, this is good!

"Come on, Siri, harder!" I whisper, but you hear it and comply.

You roll me over on my stomach and pull me up a bit, then your thrusts get harder and faster. I'm biting into the pillow to muffle my cries. You're getting close now, I know! And only a few minutes later you reach your climax. Groaning you let the orgasm roll over you, I can feel that hot seed pouring into me and that makes me come for a second time.

Sirius collapses on my body and we pull the covers back up again. A few kisses later both of us are back to sleep. We wake up late in the morning. It's the last day we are able to do that!



Sirius


We get up late late today. But what the heck, that's probably the same for everyone here! We all have to get used to the school schedule again, but we're all ready to plunge into the new school year. It's a good feeling to have something to do. Just lazing around isn't so healthy in the long run and we'll have plenty of opportunities for small outings again.

The 'start of term feast' turns out to be very nice food! Winky and Dobby have done their best and cooked up a real feast. We're all discussing the next school year and we tell them that the schedule remains the same. They accept that without further discussion. It's not getting too late before they start to leave the kitchen to get to their rooms and sleep. Remus and I are in bed by eleven. He goes right to sleep, I'm not so much in a hurry, I can sleep in tomorrow. The kids have already handed in their holiday homework in the past few days. I'll have time to look over what they've done in my subjects during the day tomorrow.

I go down to breakfast a bit after they all cleared the kitchen. I can hear Remus welcoming them back to class and start his new topic. They're on to the darker curses and what to do if they're hit with them. I quietly eat my breakfast and look through the Daily Prophet. The headline is a story about a raid at Malfoy Manor. My eyes grow fairly wide when I see the picture of Arthur Weasley coming out of the Manor after two members of the MLES with a Narcissa Malfoy in chains.

"Wow! Dobby, come look!" I call softly.

I show the picture to Dobby who makes a very grim face.

"Bad mistress!" he mutters and repeats it about two dozen times.

"I agree with you, Dobby, even though she is my cousin - she's just as awful as the rest of my family. Or what's left of them..."

I look at the picture again. The two Aurors bring Narcissa out and she looks up shortly, then it's as if she was staring directly into my eyes. Bloody cow! That's what you get for becoming a Death Eater whore. And maybe you've got it yourself, that lovely mark, eh?

Then I read the article:

"Narcissa Malfoy-Black arrested today under the suspicion of being a Death Eater along with her husband, Lucius Malfoy.

The wife of former high society lion Lucius Malfoy has been arrested today. It is possible that she not only tolerated her husband's secret doings as a Death Eater, but supported them actively. Proof of it might be that she, like her husband, wears a tattoo on her left forearm which the Death Eaters call "Dark Mark". It looks exactly the same as the Dark Mark which they place in the sky after raiding and killing people. The question she will have to answer will be, whether she herself has ever killed someone. Though we cannot say yet, we think that it is highly probable.

The Manor has been thoroughly searched and many dark items have been found. But questioned, Arthur Weasley, the Ministry's investigator of the case, has replied that the house most probably holds many secrets still, and that there must be things hidden so well, that they will possibly never be found.

"We have a fair amount of evidence though, and we have a witness who has purchased things from Mr. Malfoy. The witness has been granted pardon for testifying at the trial," Arthur Weasley said.

The Daily Prophet has not received any information as to what dark items have been found, but according to Arthur Weasley they are important enough to bring Lucius Malfoy an "awful lot of trouble".

From an official Ministry statement we expect that if the jury finds Lucius Malfoy guilty, the verdict cannot be below a life sentence to Azkaban. It is to be suspected that the same fate is waiting for Narcissa Malfoy, if she has ever used an Unforgivable curse. Both Malfoys will have to testify under an increased dose of Veritaserum, according to a Ministry source."

I breathe in heavily. I don't really want Draco to see this, but it's probably impossible to hide it. And I know it wouldn't be a good idea. So I do my usual crossword puzzle and leave the paper on the kitchen table for whoever is interested in it.

There is a letter addressed to me and Remus which I now pick up and take to the study to read it in the morning sun. The letter is from Arthur and contains the complete report about the raid. He has clearly sent us a copy. The letter attached says to share it with Draco should he ask for more information than the Daily Prophet offered. I pick up a piece of parchment and confirm the receipt of the report.

One step further in winning this war. Though it does seem like an "almost war" to me. It's unreal, we're so far away. But I have to say I'm glad about that. Not at all relieved though, because I know that after what Dumbledore said and how he reacted to Harry's story after the Third Task I'm quite afraid that he meant that Harry has something to do with killing Voldemort. I suppose it means only Harry can kill the snake. I fervently hope that's not the case.

At least this time around we have an easier way of recognising Death Eaters. The Dark Mark was not widely known in the first war. We only had the testimonies of those we ever caught and those who hardly made a secret of it. Now that we know about it, this tattoo could make it much easier to recognise Death Eaters on the spot. It does not tell us who the informants are though. And I'm already afraid that Voldemort will abandon the Dark Mark and find something else to use for summoning them.

At lunch Draco sees the article about his mother's arrest. I can see that he fights with tears for a moment and since he sits next to me at the table I tell him quietly that if he wants to rant about it I'll have open ears and a closed mouth. And then I give him Arthur's report to read. He looks up to me and says:

"I don't need privacy for that. Not really. You guys can know how I feel about this. I've just fought tears of relief in a way. She's not been quite as cruel as my father, but I know she HAS used the killing curse at least once and I know she's used other Unforgivables. Heck, they used Imperius on me more than once, when I didn't do what they wanted."

"Read Arthur's material then, Draco. You'll most probably be asked to testify, you'll have to think about if you want to do that or not. Know that Arthur is only the investigator on the case, not the prosecutor. He's got to go through the manor. Is there something you might know that could help him?"

"Lots. I'll try to write it down. I don't know of all of father's secret stash of course, but I know of several things. If they even find two of them he's doomed. He sold a lot to Borgin, so that might be Weasley's witness he mentions in the article. I'm quite sure the old bugger kept receipts and other evidence. Father kept some poisons that he sold to him in the summer before my second year. That's the stuff I know."

"Okay, I'm sure that this could be very helpful. We'll clear it with the authorities, whether it could be used against the prosecution if you give the hints, but if they give their thumbs up then we can send it to Arthur. Would probably speed things up a lot."

"Certainly. Because there are a few nasty little traps at the manor."

In the afternoon I write a quick note to Arthur telling him what Draco has said. I ask him to check if evidence given by Draco would be okay and not damage the investigation.

Three days later we get the reply that if Draco wants to be a witness for the prosecution he has to send a note that he does this out of his own will and that he would give consent to testify before the court. Draco writes that note and sends it back to Arthur along with a lengthy list of hiding spots, how to get there and what traps to expect while getting there.

And two more weeks later we get a letter from Arthur thanking Draco for his invaluable help:

"Dear Draco

I'd like to take this moment to thank you for what you have done. I have a large family and I love each member of it, so it is very hard for me to imagine what you must be going through knowing what your parents are. I also want to say that I'm very proud of you. You have put your foot down on their actions. And with that you may have saved a lot of other people's lives, including your own.

We don't know a date for the trial yet, but you will be informed well before the date. You can also choose a legal representative if you wish to do so. Your parents will not act very pleasantly and will not treat you nicely during the trial, neither will their lawyer. I remember the first trial against your father. He was acquitted then, but our lawyers have rolled out the material again and found blatant proof of irregularities, clearly caused by a Voldemort-loyal lawyer and a Minister who was willing to let him off the hook. We are currently investigating all of your father's donations and some other things. Fudge is in a spot of trouble, too, right now, because we will play a bit dirty and have this publicly discussed. There will be a lot in the Daily Prophet in the next weeks.

Sincerely

Arthur Weasley."

During the next few weeks of classes we follow the battle that seems to be fought in Britain. Fudge still tries to dodge real actions against the Death Eaters and leaves it all to the Aurors. At least he has called Moody back to the ranks. Bones works tirelessly on the legislative end to make things better for the Aurors.

We get a gleeful report from Kingsley, who writes that the first thing Moody has started is a thorough cleansing of the Aurors, the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and will then move on to other Departments. The way it looks there will soon be a high demand for personnel at the Ministry! I'm quite sure that it's going to be hard to slip by Moody's checks.
Sign up to rate and review this story