Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Last Avatar: Kuzo

Chapter 5: Azula's Resolve

by NezzSan 0 reviews

I think we all agree that it is important that Azula is both beautiful and frightening. Azula fights Earth and Water Benders to find a teacher. Things begin changing quickly as Kuzo's life is...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Humor - Published: 2014-12-21 - 2891 words

0Unrated


The Last Avatar Kuzo Chapter 5 - Azula's Resolve



(During Chapter 4, while Kuzo was at the Academy)

Azula fit her feet snugly into her boots. Next were the forearm guards, made out of leather with thinly scaled metal armor sown into it. After completing her dressing, she threw a few shadow punches and kicks to make sure that everything was in tip top order.

Her outfit emphasized light weightedness, while retaining the minimum amount of armor. The joints were made out of stretchy, flexible material as to avoid inhibiting the user's nimbleness. As for the appearance of it...

Azula took a quick glance at the mirror in the small locker room.

It was a tight fitting suit. A black color with a tinge of red that was barely discernible. The metal bracers that covered the shoulders, calves, and forearms, possessed an attractive Onyx finish.

Although the battle guise was made with pragmatism in mind, rather than appearance. It still exuded a sleek and powerful impression that would make anyone think it was "cool".

I will have to note that a similar suit should be tailored for Kuzo.

Azula set aside the thought for later and stepped into an old Agni Kai ring.

The stage boasted a 100 ft diameter with a compact dirt ground. Scattered throughout the ring sat gigantic pots filled with water. Opposite Azula, were four ominous steel gates, barred like prison cells.

Azula inhaled deeply...

Held her breath for a few seconds...

And then exhaled a mouthful of cold blue fire...

What I do is now is necessary. I do not have the luxury of feeling guilt or shame.

"Release them!" she ordered.

Unseen servants received the command and began opening the steel gates.

Nothing appeared at first, but slowly, various men and women began moving through the metal doorways. Earth benders wearing dusty green shirts and pants filtered in from the two left gates. Water benders with torn light blue robes poured from the two on the right. They all looked to Azula with the same horrifying apprehension. Not so surprising considering the situation they were in.

They had been instructed by Azula's servants to do battle with her. On one hand, they thought if they seriously injured her, only severe repercussion awaited them. On the other, if they disobeyed the order to fight, what manner of punishment awaited their disobedience? Conflicted over what to do, the prisoners could make no decision.

So Azula made it for them.

"Bear no doubt, you will be fighting for your lives. I will be aiming to end every last one of you and if you do not face me with the same mentality, all hopes of living past the next few moments, will vanish. There will be no second warning."(Azula)

While the prisoners remained apprehensive, Azula gave asmall huff. She began weaving her arms like a witch conjuring magic. Lightning began sparking from the tips of her fingers until she halted the motion, pointing at a random Earth Bender.

A lance of pure electricity leapt from Azula's index and middle finger, and pierced the Earth bender's heart. A pitch black hole appeared over the dead man's chest and shirt, as he fell backwards from the impact.

The face of the dying man brought painful memories of Zuko. The eyes stared blankly, the whites so unnervingly clear. An expression that showed surprise and a deep cutting look of disbelief. The body contorted violently once. A twist that looked inhumanly and gut wrenching. And then there was only dead stillness.

Lightning was a cruel weapon. It made its victim's bodies distort and spasm out of control. Your nerves flared as you lost command of your own muscles. You'd beg your heart to beat even once more, just to keep yourself alive, but instead it stayed, petrified into rock. The only other inhumane attack that comes remotely close to that feeling would be Blood Bending.

Azula's conscience writhed with guilt, but only for a split second.

An iron resolve quickly brought her stability as she regained her emotional balance.

Kuzo

The single word gave her the strength to endure.

"Fight me as if your lives depend on it, because I assureyou, they do!!"(Azula)

The Water and Earth Benders tore their gaze away from the first fallen, and focused on the approaching Fire Lord. She leapt into the midst of them like a predator amongst numerous prey, baring her teeth all the while.

The prisoners scattered, began their motions, and then launched their respective elements. Earth bricks were uprooted and then catapulted. Serpent like torrents rose from the water pots and dashed towards their target.

Azula flipped and twirled in midair to dodge the projectiles. Her movements were so fluid, so light, that it looked all too easy to evade their attacks. All done without any use of Fire Bending.

Too weak... None of them seem capable of training Kuzo from the looks of it...

Hopefully if some are pushed to their breaking point, they may exhibit more talent.

One by one the prisoners fell, like dominoes. Some performed admirably. A handful presented an actual threat to Azula at the end of their lives. But as the "test" came to a conclusion, none of the prisoners were deemed worthy.

Two hours had passed, and Azula was left the sole survivor of the battle.

Azula exhaled a heavy breath.

Curses....



______________________________



In Ozai's chamber, Azula presented herself and kneeled on one knee.

The chamber was bright with yellow torches lining the walls. Long tapestry draped the interior, all bearing the symbol of the Phoenix King in shining gold.

Ozai sat on a tall back chair, hands, adorned with flamboyant jewels, knitted in thought. His red and black robes were long and covered well past his feet. His hair and beard were pure white. A look of a much older man than his actual age. The Phoenix King throne brought more stress than imaginable.

Ozai could not help but feel a little annoyed with Azula's appearance.

She did not bother changing out of her battle guise, which had incurred dust, a few battered metal plates, and tears in the cloth here and there.

"The boy will become my successor, Azula, and that is FINAL!" (Ozai)

"Father. As I have previously stated, publicly announcing him as your successor is a mistake. If you could just wait a bit more, at least until Kuzo has reached adulthood, where he would no longer be at the mercy of Baro-"(Azula)

"No! I must name my successor now! My life..." Cough cough"...will end soon..."wheeze "... I must name the next Phoenix King with my own voice so as to leave no doubt. He must also begin his shadowing so that he may learn the affairs of matters."(Ozai)

Azula gritted her teeth in a troubled expression.

There's no more time left...

"You are to bring the boy by your next visit. He will be out of the harmful reach of Baro, and begin his studies. This is an /order/, Azula. The matter is decided, and I will hear no more opposition."(Ozai)

".... Yes, Father." (Azula)



____________________



(Two weeks after the Academy trial ended and Azula's meeting with Ozai)

Knock knock

A young girl maneuvered a door knocker roughly twice the size of her head.

P'Li stood before the side entrance of the Fire Capital's Palace. The main gate was used for large scale events and parades. Although the side gate was much smaller and ordinarily used to receive guests, it still looked dauntingly tall with its black steel forgery and gold adornments.

It was night time and P'Li could only visit after her school had ended. She thought of how possibly disrespectful the whole situation was, but pushed the apprehension aside as she felt the proper channels would've taken too long. Besides, she had a fairly high social status herself. She was dressed in the Academy's pristine school uniform, so she wasn't completely unpresentable. P'Li would be treated like an honored guest, nonetheless. At least she assumed so.

He hasn't been to school for a while now. No word, just nothing. Something might be wrong...

A servant finally responded and asked P'Li to name herself. She promptly gave her title, family lineage, and other fanciful identifications to prove she was no ordinary citizen. After a few moments, she was quickly let in.

Servants led her through the maze of the Palace halls to an intimate dining room. Though intimate would be stretching it, as the room was gigantic, possessing a high ceiling, with an obnoxiously long table in it.

"General San's daughter, I presume."

At the opposite side of the room, stood Baro. Wearing heavy robes with pointed shoulder blades, he quickly put out a cigarette he had been smoking.

P'Li approached and bowed deeply as proper etiquette called for. Again she issued her titles and identifications.

"To what do I owe this visit?"(Baro)

"If I may, I was hoping that I could speak to Crown Prince Kuzo."(P'Li)

Baro raised an inquisitive eye brow.

"My son is out at the moment. He should return shortly. What is your connection to him?"(Baro)

"I'm his school friend."(P'Li)

"School friend... Hm...."(Baro)

The gears in Baro's head were turning rapidly.

General San's daughter. She would make for a fine political marriage with Kuzo. Although adopted, she will be her family's inheritor.

"Could I prepare you something to eat? I'd like to have atalk with you, while we wait for my son."(Baro)

"No! I couldn't possibly intrude! My apologies for the sudden visit. I will come another time."(P'Li)

"Oh, but I insist. I could not possibly turn away a guest so quickly."(Baro)

"Well-"(P'Li)

Doorway opening and closing

"Have something prepared immediately. I'm famished."(Azula)

Azula ordered a servant shortly and made her way to the party of two.

"Azula, you have returned."(Baro)

"The conference took longer than expected. Who is our guest?"(Azula)

"This is P'Li, General San's daughter."(Baro)

P'Li bowed low.

Azula stared at her a short moment before moving her eyes back to Baro. Her mind quickly filled in the reasons for the girl's visit.

"A political matching?"(Azula)

"No! Nothing of the sort! I am only a school friend of Kuzo's."(P'Li)

Baro's stomach dropped.

An uncomfortable silence descended.

"School friend.... What school would that be, Miss P'Li?"(Azula)

P'Li made a dry gulp. She had never spoke to the Fire Lord before, but the tone of her voice held a fear inciting chill to it. The young girl was immediately put on edge, as she struggled to respond to the domineering presence.

Scary... Why is she angry?(P'Li)

"That would be the Phoenix Academy, Ma'am! Kuzo has been absent for a while, so I was wondering if he was alright!"(P'Li)

She spoke much louder than intended.

Now I see where Kuzo gets it from...

Please stop staring at me. I feel like I'm going to die at any second.

But Azula's quiet fury was not directed at P'Li but...

"Baro... What is this about the Phoenix Academy? What events have been transpiring during my absence?"(Azula)

Cough Ahem "I enrolled our son in formal schooling /temporarily./I believed it would prove beneficial."(Baro)

Even Baro had a slight quiver to his voice when he made his excuse.

"And you thought it wise, not to consult me on /my/son's education? To which I have taken full liberty of?"(Azula)

"That is..."(Baro)

Although Azula was asking that, she knew exactly what Baro had been up to. Everything was a calculated game for him to gain more power and influence. The intentions were obvious.

"You."(Azula)

"Yes?!"(P'Li)

"You may leave-"(Azula)

Doorway opens and closes

"Hm? Mother! You have returned!"(Kuzo)

Kuzo quickly ran over and bowed promptly. He took a side long glance at P'Li, who looked like she was going through torture.

I wonder what matter brought P'Li here. Judging from her fearful demeanor, mother has quickly imposed her will on her.

As expected! She quelled her so easily.

You have my sympathies P'Li...

"Kuzo, you have attended Phoenix Academy?"(Azula)

Kuzo's insides froze instantly.

"Answer me."(Azula)

"I... thought it may prove a fruitful venture."(Kuzo)

"Hmmmm.... And did it?"(Azula)

"I produced results at the top of all my classes!"(Kuzo)

"... I'm asking you if it proved /useful/."(Azula)

"... Yes."(Kuzo)

"..."(Azula)

"Of course, I quickly absorbed what I found useful and continued my previous training as soon as possible!"(Kuzo)

A cold hush had enveloped the abnormally large dining room. The only one who dared move or breathe easy was the ice queen.

"I see... We will speak later. I need to have a talk with your father. See your... /friend/, to the gates."(Azula)

"Yes, Mother!"(Kuzo)

"'Fire Lord', in company."(Azula)

"Yes, Fire Lord!"(Kuzo)

Kuzo threw a glance toward P'Li who was still frozen.

Voice your departure, you fool, before my Mother smites us all!

P'Li finally took the hint.

"I will take my leave now! It was a great honor meeting you, Fire Lord Azula! Shogun Baro!"(P'Li)

She bowed in robotically erratic motion. Baro smiled courteously while Azula still wore a stern expression.

As soon as formalities were over, Kuzo and P'Li began walking out of the room at the speed of a run. When they made it out of audible distance, they inhaled heavily, as if the mental pressure had submerged them in water.

"Your mother is the scariest - SCARIEST THING IN THE WORLD!!EVER! OF ALL TIME!"(P'Li)

"Yes. Is she not wonderful? I only hope that I can one day command such a presence..."(Kuzo)

"Ughhh So your mom's your role model, huh? Though, meeting her personally, I can see why. How the hell can she be so frightening /and/in some weird way, inspiring at the same time?"(P'Li)

"Hmph!"(Kuzo)

"That's not something you should be proud of! SighBut it's obvious that you're the spawn of that dragoness. You're not much like your dad though..."(P'Li)

There was an uncomfortable silence.

"...I... am nothing like that man. And I never will be..."(Kuzo)

P'Li sensed something deep within that sentence, but decided not to push it. Whatever it was, it didn't seem like a subject to be touched upon lightly.

"So... you're not coming back to school?"(P'Li)

"No. The Academy has fulfilled its purpose. I have taken in all I needed."(Kuzo)

P'Li was saddened at the answer.

I guess I'll never see him again...

Wait, of course I'll see him! Even if we don't meet at school, our social circles are always throwing those stupid get togethers.

I've been avoiding them, but if I get to hang out with Kuzo again, I guess I can attend some of them.

Though if I do, I really don't want to be considered for a political marriage though... no offense to Kuzo.

In no time, they had made their way to the entrance gate.

"See ya, Kuzo! I'll make sure to attend any social gatherings at the palace. We can sneak off and maybe I can teach you Combustion Bending."(P'Li)

Kuzo was shocked wide eyed momentarily. Although the thought of learning Combustion Bending was appealing, he was more taken back by the level of familiarity.

He slowly eased into a warm smile not many had ever seen before.

"I would like that, P'Li. Good bye."(Kuzo)

"Heh! What are friends for?"(P'Li)

The door closed and Kuzo continued to stare, imagining P'Li walking away.

Friends...

...

Good bye, P'Li. You are an honorable friend..

________________________



Knock knock

"Enter." (Azula)

Kuzo entered his mother's study.

The office was wide and mostly empty. Various weapons mounted the walls as d
Sign up to rate and review this story