Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Under a Watchful Eye

Letters from no one

by mysecretthoughts 2 reviews

third chapter of PS

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2014-12-29 - 4720 words

1Original
See the first chapter for disclaimers, warnings, ect.

Harry hurried down the stairs, eager for breakfast. He had woken in his godfather's bed feeling lighter than he could ever remember feeling, as if a great weight had been removed.

"Good morning Mrs. Weasley!" He called jumping down the last step into the kitchen.

"Oh, Harry dear!" She cried, hurrying over to pull him into a hug, which he tolerated for a couple of seconds before pulling away. "How are you feeling?" she fretted.

"Hungry," He answered truthfully, resulting in the woman shooing him toward the table with promises of hot food.

"Morning Ron." He greeted his friends as he sat down. "Neville."

"Mrumuph." Ron mumbled back, his mouth full of food. He swallowed hard. "Blimey Harry, you didn't come down to the room last night. How much trouble did you get into?"

"None yet," Harry smirked filling his plate from the dishes on the table. "Though I expect that will change today."

"I do believe Remus is expecting that too." Tonks teased winking across the table at him.

"With good reason," The man himself muttered, rubbing his tired eyes. Remembering his promise to Sirius the night before he smiled at the boy.

"What's this?" Harry asked spying a potion that had appeared beside his plate. Curious green eyes met cold black ones.

Snape sneered at the boy. "You mentioned yesterday that you have experienced periods of starvation. So unless it was a lie to garner sympathy for yourself," here he paused hopefully, "then the nutrient potion will help strengthen your obviously delicate constitution."

"Oh. Does it taste bad?" Harry asked conversationally as he examined the bottle. Suddenly a large hand lightly smacked the back of his head.

"Ow." He complained as his godfather slid into the seat next to him.

"Drink the damn thing and thank Professor Snape for his thoughtfulness and generosity in providing it," the older man growled. His comments drew several surprised glances and an incredulous look from the professor himself.

"Did you just call him professor?" Harry asked in shock staring between the two enemies. He flinched back slightly from the glares he received in return. "You're crabby this morning."

Sirius let out a small huff of breath as he ran a hand over his face. "It happens on occasion." he confessed with a slight smile. He thought back to the measly two hours of restless sleep he had the night before.

Harry stared at him thoughtfully for a moment before turning back to his potions professor. "Thank you sir, for the potion," he said as respectfully as possible. "...though, I'm sure I could have been able to express my gratitude just as well if left to my own devices." he finished dryly earning two disbelieving snorts.

"Well aren't we a cheery group this morning." Molly huffed as she put more bacon on the table. She surveyed the half open eyes and scowls. "I can see that it'll be an early bedtime for the lot of us tonight."

"Especially Sirius," Harry teased causing Ron to snort into his juice. Around the table many of the group exchanged surprised looks at his obvious good mood. Several approving looks were sent towards the Marauder.

"Good morning Harry." Hermione said cautiously as she slid into an empty seat. She sent a swift searching look in his direction, grinning in relief as she took in his sparkling green eyes.

"G'morning, Hermione!" he called back stuffing his mouth full of bacon. She raised an eyebrow at the amount of food on his plate, deciding to take it as an improvement and did not comment.

"Good morning ," Albus Dumbledore said in greeting with his usual good cheer as he stepped into the kitchen. He determinedly ignored the accusing gazes directed at him.

Remus's eyebrows rose and he turned to look at the blushing metamorpgmagus across from him. "I'll tell you later," she whispered.

An hour later the group had gathered in the sitting room once again. Ginny and Luna claimed a couch to themselves, curling up with several blankets and looking around sleepily. Neville took the empty seat next to Ron as Harry sprawled out on the floor, content to be near his godfather.

Mad-Eye huffed when the book was passed to him. Opening to the third chapter he growled out the title in his gruff voice.

Why would no one write you letters?" Ron asked in surprise. Harry was rolling on the floor in laughter while everyone looked at the redhead in disbelief. "What?" he asked confused.

And it starts once again. Sirius sighed to himself after the first sentence. His lack of sleep had done nothing to improve his attitude toward the subject. Sensing his godfather's ire, Harry scooted up so that he was leaning against the man's sprawled legs.

"Affectionate this morning, isn't he?' Remus murmured to the man as Sirius reached down to rub the messy head in front of them.

The other members of the room observed the exchange through bitten tongues, not quite sure what to make of it yet keeping quiet so they could hear the book.

Tonks sneered as Dudley broke all his new toys and terrorized the neighborhood. Not wanting to lapse into the bad mood she'd been in the night before she began teasing her childhood friend. "Um, now I know why you were always the leader of our group, Char-bear." She smirked, causing a very tired Remus to frown.

"Ha, the only reason you weren't, Nymphie, was you had trouble staying upright!" the dragon tamer shot back.

"Charlie," his mother reprimanded. "That was uncalled for!"

"Hah," Tonks stuck out her tongue at him.

"Easy, wolf boy." Sirius mumbled quietly so only his friend could hear. "Green really doesn't suit you." Remus sent him a searching look unsure if the man was still mad at him.

Fred and George didn't give anyone time to get mad at the mention of Harry Hunting.

"Delightful sport that-"

"Might even replace Quidditch-"

"Instead of playing seeker-"

"Harry will be the seeked!"

Harry smirked at the twins. "Summer break, doxy eggs." he said pointedly.

Their eyes opened wide as they shot looks at their mother. "Well crap," they said together.

"Nice Harry." Ron laughed at the now silent twins before frowning in confusion at the mention of a secondary school.

"No Harry, you'll be going to Hogwarts." Luna said very seriously.

"Thanks Luna, but I didn't know anything about Hogwarts yet," he told her causing Molly to sniff and glare at the headmaster.

A moment later the room burst out laughing at the teen's response to Dudley's threat to stuff the kid's head in a toilet. Harry turned to look up at Sirius. "Have I fulfilled my Marauder credentials yet?" he asked cheekily.

The dark haired man took his time considering. "You get points off for running. It's obvious he would never have worked it out."

Harry just rolled his eyes at his godfather earning a soft nudge in the back. A moment later he looked up when the man began laughing at the mention of the foul tasting chocolate cake.

"Urgh, that's just disgusting." Remus sneered.

"The old boy here is something of a chocolate snob." Sirius told his godson. "Only the finest for him. Everything else is just an insult."

"I'm not that bad." The werewolf protested happy with the normal teasing. "All I said was that cake must have been disgusting."

"It was." Harry agreed though he continued to smirk up at the man before openly laughing at Moody's face as he read a description of Dudley's school uniform.

"I think I'm going to be sick." Ginny moaned while around the room there were many sounds of disgust.

"Honestly can there be a sight worse than that?" Ron said with a deep shudder.

"Umm I imagine that big tub of lard naked would certainly be worse." Fred pointed out gleefully.

"Ah Fred, not cool, really man thanks." Charlie groaned turning a sickly color green.

"They honestly teach students to injure their peers at this school?" Hermione asked in shock a moment later. "What kind of institution would do that?"

"Apparently the kind that produces people like Vernon Dursley." Bill reminded her. "Bigoted bullies that abuse anyone they don't like. And his son's going to end up just like him."

Moody continued to read, grunting in amusement he told them of the hard time Harry at at not laughing at his cousins appearance.

"It was hard, very hard." Harry told them laughing now that he could.

"How'd you stop at all Harry?" Neville asked amazed at his friend's self control.

"No doubt Vernon would have really broke his ribs if he had dared." Tonks muttered darkly under her breath as Harry shrugged at this friend. Her mood didn't approve with the next paragraph.

"How can a child be forbidden to ask a simple question?" Emmeline asked, infuriated.

"Especially one as curious as Potter." Snape sneered not able to imagine the brat holding his tongue in any situation. He himself had to work to hold his mask at the cheeky comment the kid threw back at this aunt.

The rest of the room had burst out laughing. "Nice one mate." Ron congratulated his friend while Hermione shook her head with a wry smile.

"Honestly, Harry." He turned to smirk at her, catching her grimacing at the mention of elephant skin.

"That's a pleasing image," Neville gagged at the description. "Good thing you're going to Hogwarts."

"Not that Hogwarts is that much better." George pointed out. "Couldn't we get a little color other than black. Magenta happens to be a delightful color."

"It would look revolting on you and on me." Ginny told him. "Can you imagine how it would clash with our hair?"

Fred grinned at her. "But that's what would make it so fun." His watchful eyes scanned the room, always on the look out to have a bit of fun. He watched as the adults perked up at the mention of the mail.

"He actually made that fat git do something?" Tonks asked in shock.

"Not hardly," Harry snorted gesturing to the book as Moody read the next few lines.

"Punch him in the nose Harry?" Bill said hopefully. His suggestion was met with several raised eyebrows.

"This book's making you violent." Charlie informed him with a worried look. "Its not really like you."

"I'm just advocating self defense." The older Weasley shot back. "Its certainly called for in this situation." Some of his tension eased as the book version of Harry found a letter addressed to him. .

"Yay!" Most of the room cheered, thankful Harry would be able to leave soon.

"Harry do you still have your letter?" Sirius asked looking down at his godson. "Getting your first letter is special and parents usually like to frame it or something." He fumbled for a minute. "I mean I'm sure I could find space on the walls here, if you still have it I mean."

Harry was looking up at his godfather with a look of astonishment. "Really?" He asked before his face fell. "It's gone though. I never had it."

"Thanks okay buddy. I'm sure there will be other things we can put up on the wall." Sirius assured him. He frowned as the kid hunched his shoulders in disappointment.

"What's a stamp?" Emmeline asked, breaking the silence that had encompassed the reading.

"Oh! They're little square bits of paper that you stick on muggle letters. We had to use them when we invited Harry to the World Cup last year." Molly explained. Harry snorted as he remembered that particular letter and Vernon's reaction.

Moody read the next line, growling at the twins at they yelled out at the symbol for Hogwarts. He growled a second time when the boy he was reading about took the letter back into the kitchen. "Constant Vigilance."

Sirius groaned and tugged lightly on his godson's hair until he tilted his head back to look up at him. "Why didn't you open it in the hall?" he admonished gently.

Harry grinned slightly as he shrugged. "I was in shock."

"Weak excuse." The man grumbled around a smile. He raised an eyebrow when his godson was called out in the book for having a piece of mail. Harry grinned sheepishly back.

"Of course the pig has to open his mouth doesn't he?" Bill growled before turning to his younger brother. "You stole mine when it first came."

"And he was rightfully punished for it!" Molly added causing Charlie to turn bright red.

Remus had been sitting quietly, keeping his volatile emotions in check but he felt he had to speak up as he heard Harry shouting at his guardians. "I'm afraid that is going to do nothing but make the situation worse." He said giving the youngster a mild look. He settled a bit more when neither Sirius or Harry seemed offended.

"Unfortunately its a habit he's carried over to his school years." Snape pointed out snidely.

Ron jumped to his defense before Harry could speak up. "Only with the professors who resemble the Dursleys." He spat earning approving looks from his brothers.

Snape's glare and Molly's reprimand were cut off as Moody gave a grunt bringing everyone's attention to him as he read out Vernon's reaction to the letter.

"Yuck, I don't think I'll be eating porridge anytime soon." Neville scrunched up his face in disgust.

Snape rolled his eyes a moment later as Petunia played faint. "What a drama queen." He muttered under his breath. He was remembering many an afternoon with Lily that had been interrupted by the overly dramatic girl.

The room remained silent as they listened to the play by play of the family argument.

"Temper, temper." George whispered nudging his twin and indicating the boy who lived who was doing his best to avoid the amused and censoring looks from the adults.

"We weren't spying on them." Moody interrupted himself several lines later, ignoring Harry's muttered "At the time."

"Well seeing as how they were treating Harry I'm thinking we should should have been." Charlie pointed out, sending a challenging look around the room.

The mood plummeted even more at Vernon's declaration about stamping out Harry's magic.

"Is it possible to stamp out magic?" Hermione asked as the silence dragged on.

"Not really no." Remus answered switching into professor mode. "Usually when its tried the witch or wizard end up losing control of their magic. They become a danger to everyone around them."

"And that could have happened to Harry?" She asked in a small voice.

"Lucky for boy wonder Vernon was as incompetent in that as he is in everything else in his life." Snape sneered, the faintest expression of worry hidden deep in his eyes.

Harry had scrunched himself against his godfather's legs, his face shadowed by the man's robes. The marauder had his hand on his shoulder in silent support.

Moody's voice was gruff as he continued reading, the anger heard clearly as he told of Vernon entering Harry's cupboard.

"Okay that has to be an exaggeration. There is no way that fat tub of lard fit into the cupboard." Fred said looking astonished.

As he hoped Harry shook off his melancholy to nod enthusiastically. "It was. Only his head made it in." He told him.

"Even that surprises me." George grinned. He slapped his brother on the back in approval. They both turned to look at their mother in astonishment a moment later.

"Oh don't give me that look." She admonished blushing. "That man is all manner of evil for burning's Harry's Hogwarts letter.

"That he is dear." Arthur patted his wife's hand as he winked at his sons.

When Moody told about Harry questioning the gift of Dudley's second bedroom Sirius dropped his head into his hands. "Merlin, pup do you have any sense at all?" He breathed out. "Don't question a good thing."

Harry turned to mock glare at him. "I just wanted to know why they were being nice for a change." He replied scooting over so that he was leaning against Remus instead. Sirius hid his grin and pretended to look hurt at the kid's actions.

"What, you're defecting now?" he asked causing chuckles to sound around the room.

"Remus is being nicer right now." The teen shrugged with a quick grin.

"Yeah I'm nicer." the werewolf taunted, his eyes lightening up with joy.

The next paragraph had Snape frowning as it was revealed how little in the way of belonging the kid had at the time. The spoiled brat image that filled his head no longer seemed to fit. He didn't want to admit to himself that he might have been wrong. 'Don't worry.' He assured himself. 'The brat is still attention seeking and arrogant.' Feeling better he leaned back to listen.

As if reading his thoughts, or rather the expression on his face, Emmeline sent him a glare. Her expression darkened at the long list of junk inhibiting Harry's new room. Further down the line of couches Hermione was grumbling.

"Of course they weren't touched! He probably can't even read." She muttered.

"Oh he can read." Harry assured her. "The names of candy bars and ice cream flavors and other sugary treats."

"Of course." She snorted.

They continued on, laughing quietly at the recitation of Dudley's tantrum though Molly felt it prudent to give a warning. "No one," She began in a low voice while looking pointedly at the twins. "Will get any ideas about that kind of behavior or you have my word that I will personally wear them out. " All of her children as well as Hermione, Luna, Neville and Harry shrank back from her wrath.

Harry couldn't help sending a searching look at his godfather. Seeing the unasked question Sirius leaned down to whisper in his ear. "Try it with me and I'll send you to her," he teased. Hearing the whispered words and spotting the look of horror on the teenager's face was too much for Remus who began to choke on his laughter.

The story went on to describe the mail drop the next day and Vernon's attempts to keep the letter from Harry.

"Practice Harry?" Ron asked with a choked laugh as he listened to how his friend had jumped on his uncle's back. Hermione had placed her head in her hands to stifle her own laughter.

Harry shrugged with a wide grin. "Just my standard fighting technique." He answered.

"Who else have you fought this way?" Sirius asked narrowing his gaze.

The dark haired teen gulped. "Umm I don't think the chapter's done yet." He hurried to say as he looked pointedly at Moody.

The ex auror obliged with a smirk but what he read out next had Remus groaning.

"Oh no. " The werewolf moaned, causing everyone to stare at him. "If he's anything like his father then the plan will be a total disaster."

"I thought Prongs was a master prankster?" Fred and George asked.

"Prong's speciality was in executing the pranks and talking us out of trouble." Sirius informed them. "I was the one with all the big plans."

"And I was the one that had to work out the details of all those big and sometimes impossible plans." Remus added dryly.

"Clearly I focused on the wrong part of the group Mr. Lupin." McGonagall stated with a glare that had the werwolf sinking back in his seat and the teens laughing. She kept a watchful eye on him as the book narrated Harry's plan, noting absentmindedly that it wasn't bad. Until he stepped on something alive she thought with a chuckle.

"Please let it be the fat walrus." Ginny begged grinning eagerly. She let out a cheer when it was announced that Harry had stepped on his Uncle's face. The twins got up to do a victory dance causing their mother to tell them off.

"Ginny started it." They protested before quieting down at the look on her face. They shared a disgruntled look as Moody continued reading.

Kingsley had been listening quietly but the elder Dursley's comments about wizarding kind while nailing wood with a fruitcake of all things caused him to speak out. "I think I would rather my mind work in strange ways then to be anything like that conceited, bigoted idiot." He snarled causing his fellow order members to stare at him in surprise.

"But you so rarely do." Tonks replied, staring at him awe.

"Yeah, unlike Nymphie who doesn't have a filter on her mouth." Charlie teased, delighted to take up his rivalry with his childhood friend.

"Don't call me that." She growled, her hair turning a brilliant green.

"Please tell me that nickname is just to annoy you and not something more significant." Remus murmured in her ear. The words caused her to snicker as she deliberately looked away from him.

Harry relaxed as the story continued, now leaning against the bottom of the couch between the two marauders. He enjoyed reading everyone's facial expressions as Vernon became more and more paranoid. He chuckled when he saw Bill mouth the words Tiptoe through the tulips.

"Why Minnie I didn't know you could be so creative." Sirius commented after it told about the letters inside the eggs bit. "Of course it would have been easier to just send someone to talk to them." He muttered under his breath

"Do not call me that Mr. Black." She snapped, the pleased look in her eye letting him know she hadn't heard the rest of his comment.

Neville was the next to interrupt the story, confusion about no post on sundays giving him the courage to ask why not. "Owls deliver anytime."

"Muggle post does not get delivered on Sundays." Hermione explained. "It's considered a day of rest. He isn't thinking about wizarding mail."

"Well then he's in for a nasty surprise." Ron crowed, laughing as the next paragraph showed he was right.

Arthur had an amused look on his face as he tried to picture a young Harry jumping in the air for a letter. "Why not just pick one up off the floor."

Harry shrugged. "I was trying to practice my seeking skills?" He offered smirking.

"Now see that is a much better excuse." Remus exclaimed smiling proudly at the boy.

Ron snorted. "Much better considering he didn't know anything about quidditch at the time."

"Thanks mate." Harry huffed playfully only to look up in alarm at his godfather a moment later. The man had growled when the book told of Vernon grabbing his godson around the waist and throwing him in the hall.

"I'll rip his hands off the next time he touches you."

Emmeline silently agreed with him though she was far more concerned with the lack of care the Hogwarts professors seemed to be giving him. "Why hasn't someone been sent to see him yet?" She asked looking pointedly at McGonagall. "I think it would be easier than sending out hundreds of letters."

The headmaster and deputy headmistress ducked their heads while Snape met her gaze head on. "I quite agree."

Harry spoke up before anymore accusations could be said. "Someone does come soon and it's brilliant." He offered with a smile.

Molly was the next one to huff angrily at Vernon's treatment, this time of Dudley. "I'll be the first to agree that Dudley could use a good dose of discipline but just smacking him in the head without talking through the needed change in behavior is traumatic and boarding on abuse!"

"You're right mum." Bill consoled her. "And maybe once we get done here we can see about getting Dudley some help."

She nodded. "Not that I"m any happier with him but no child deserves that."

Moody continued reading, grumbling as he learned of the backtracking Vernon employed while trying to out run the letters. "He's gone absolutely mad."

"You say that like you think he wasn't already there." Charlie teased earning a black look in return.

Emmeline halted the reading several paragraphs later. "Wait what kind of hotel has musty sheets and serves stale, cold food?" She asked in confusion. The wizarding hotels she'd had the opportunity to say in over the years had excellent food. Even the Leaky Cauldron, as unkept as it appeared to muggles, was warm, clean and cosy.

"A cheap one." Hermione answered, her nose crinkled in disgust.

With a pointed look at his seat mate Moody continued to read, earning disgusted looks and angry noises at the interaction between Vernon and the waitress.

"She was probably thinking about what an unruly child Harry was trying to take his guardian's mail." Kingsley commented, directing the angry looks onto himself. "it's not like she knew the letters were Harry's. All she saw was a bratty kid trying to grab something that wasn't his."

"That does make sense." Molly sighed. "It's unfortunate, she could have done something to get help."

The room was quite after that for the next several paragraphs, everyone tired of critiquing the Dursleys constantly. But the mood took a definite upswing when Harry's birthday was announced.

"Happy birthday Harry." Everyone under fifty and wasn't a git called out causing him to blush and roll his eyes.

"It's no where near my birthday." He reminded everyone.

"Don't ruin our fun." Sirius pouted playfully, nudging him with his foot. It was a painful battle to keep the smile on his face when he head about what his godson received for his tenth birthday but he didn't think ranting or raving would make up for the crappy presents.

Several adults got a worried pinched look on their faces when they heard about the shack. "It sounds dangerous." Molly fretted, gripping her husband's hand. Harry shrugged, not having any comforting words for them.

"it really was kind of scary." He said when they got to the part about the rowboat. "The sea was really rough and the old man looked like it would be fun if we tipped over." He leaned a little harder into the legs supporting him at the memory.

"A thrilling tale that can be used to win a girl's sympathy." Sirius informed him, his eyes teasing though he had reached down to run his hands over the bowed head.

"Really." Harry asked looking up with a grin.

Emmeline groaned. "Is it safe to have that playboy raising an impressionable teenager?" She asked no one in particular.

Moody didn't give anyone time to answer, reading quickly now that he could sense an end to the chapter.

"And just how long did he plan to stay in that little hut?" Bill interrupted a moment later, shaking his head in exasperation. "Didn't he think that the letters would continue to be delivered when he went back?"

"I think he was past the point of rational thought son." Arthur informed him. "It could be considered muggle baiting, not that I care much."

"How can you say that." Tonks asked. She rolled her eyes at the looks she was getting. "Not about the not caring, that I can completely understand. I'm talking about the muggle baiting."

"Think about it Tonks." Harry answered. "They were muggles and it'd been almost twenty years since Aunt Petunia had seen mum getting her letter. They really had no idea what to expect. If it had been Hermione's family everyone would have been in an uproar that the professors kept sending letters instead of a representative."

"Hmpf," Tonks snorted while McGonagall looked faintly embarrassed. "Well it wasn't Hermione's family and those beasts deserved everything they got." She glared defiantly at Moody when he snapped at her to be quiet.

He read out the next paragraph stopping abruptly when the smallest of the group approached the dark haired teen.

"You can have one of our blankets Harry." Luna said walking over to hand him the cover.

"Thanks Luna," He answered, not wanting to offend the kind hearted girl. His feet were a little chilly. He missed the looks exchanged by Sirius and Remus.

Moody waited until she had settled back into her seat before speeding through the last page, disappointing the twins with the lack of sound effects.

"Aww, Mad-Eye, you were supposed to yell that part!" the twins groaned, slumping in disappointment.
Sign up to rate and review this story