Categories > Games > Halo > Rebache

Act II Chapter II: Bite My Tongue

by sgtlegendkiller 0 reviews

Emotions

Category: Halo - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance,Sci-fi - Published: 2015-10-19 - 2879 words

0Unrated
SGTLEGENDKILLEЯ
Rebache
Act II Chapter II
“Bite My Tongue”

A2C2 Track
Welcome To The End ~Celldweller (Celldweller)

D: 11:43 p.m. June 20th, 2016

It had become late and the day had hardly become any easier to deal with from when he woke up in the morning. Somehow, despite his body now being completely, and literally, being alien to him, something within his mind seemed to regulate him from losing his shit. He would have loved to sit down and throw a fit, or cry, or even contemplate breaking stuff, but something just stopped him from doing such. This aspect of the change threw him off drastically. Even more so than most of the change in itself. He wished he knew why he felt nothing towards the change.

One thing that bothered him was how his father was taking the situation. Unlike Sam, his father was totally freaking out about it; every second that Sam spent within his eyesight seemed to further his father's paranoia. He would support and help Sam until his dying breath, but he clearly didn't know how to help with the transformation. Sam, figuring that he would kindly help by not sticking around to make his father even more paranoid, decided to go out for a late night drive.

He had somehow managed to get the driver seat tilted and moved back far enough that he could fit in the drivers seat. It took a bit of determination and strain to relearn how to use the clutch and pedals with his new legs. Once he became reacquainted he spend several long drawn out minutes driving around aimlessly down the dark streets of Texas as he silently attempted to figure out what the hell was going on.

The radio station talk shows that he flipped through did little to aid him in his mental pondering. The soft volume noise did nothing but really show him how the public was freaking out about what was going on; people were beginning to raid stores for supplies and ammo, others were religious extremists preached that the end was here and the only way to stop it was eradication of the 'demons.' The law enforcement agencies were having a field day in trying to calm the public down as they threw out every peaceful policy or statement they could provide without trying to go to the state governments to request drastic measure. To make matters worse, the happenings were unfortunatly worldwide as it would seem. There were 32 cases in the United States so far and dozens from other highly populated areas in the world. How the individuals were treated so far was not very desirable. It was either they would get shot in fear and uproar or taken into custody by law enforcement agencies to god knows where. Sam didn't want to find out, and so he would lay as low as he could.

Going out onto public road ways might not have been the absolute best thing he could do, but it was one of the best way he could come to a state of mental peace. Something about being behind the wheel had always been calming to him; like a strange but effective method of therapy that he used frequently. Maybe it was the feeling and sounds of the turning engine under the hood of the Challenger; or maybe it was something more subtle, like the feeling of being entirely in control of your situation. It was the spectrum of the same freedom to participate in the laws like anyone else or break them. What one did was up to that person at the helm.

Eventually he turned out of the town roads and headed for a nearby on ramp of the Salvation. Once he turned onto the highway entry, he shifted into a lower gear before stamping the gas down. The warm engine gave a blissful roar as it happily fulfilled it's master's command. He quickly accelerated to the speed allowed on the highway to give himself the satisfaction of being pushed back into the seat again. He wasn't looking to cause trouble tonight so he didn't push it. Although he really figured that if he really wanted to he probably could get away with some speed play if he wanted since the police everywhere were busy with other serious matters.

Tonight just happened to be a good night for highway driving. There was only very small handful of cars and trucks on the Salvicon. This left it wide open with a clear sky above; the only illumination besides his head lights was the reflecting light of the unobstructed moon. This was the time and place to drive; the dimly lit landscape of Texas was absolutely gorgeous. If one wanted too, they could just travel through the night at achieve nirvana through the scenery.

However, right now his wandering mind hardly cared for the road or the surroundings of the highway. He was now trying to wrestle with thoughts he had dispelled many times throughout this day. How would Nicole handle this? He had pushed off her many, many phone calls of the day. He felt horrible for doing so but he had no idea if she could fathom what had happened. He couldn't and it had happened to him; how could she? He was planning on calling her back, but he was thinking now that a face to face reveal would be better and so he was heading to her house to try to talk with her. Once again, he didn't know how to set this all up.

After several minutes of driving, he exited the Salvicon and headed towards Nicole's town. With each mile he drove closer to her house, he would question whether showing up at her house was a good idea. Maybe it would be best to meet her in somewhere quiet, familiar, and away from civilization. Deciding that the latter was the best of those two choices, he turned down a back road that lead away from Nicole's place. The road lead out to a hidden spot behind an old abandoned barn that he and Nicole had been to before many times. It was a place that the two would go to in the past to be away from everyone to stargaze, camp, and to fornicate to their heart's content.

He rolled to a stop behind the barn so his car would not be seen from the road if by chance someone was passing by. He turned off the engine and sat still, listening to the engine tick and shift from the slowly fading heat of use. With some self arguing and forcing strength into his arms, he picked up his now small phone and unlocked the screen; two missed calls from Nicole in just the last 10 minutes. He sniffled and pressed her name on the notifications, beginning the call to her before he put it on speaker phone. It rang for only one set of rings before she answered.

“S...Sam?!” She frantically answered. Her voice was tender and lost from long sessions of tears. Her voice hit his ears and destroyed his defenses; he hated hearing his queen like this.

He wanted to say he was sorry and to ensure her that he was fine but he flat out couldn't. His throat locked up as he felt tears rushing to his eyes and his nerves break to the point he began to shiver with sudden sadness; he wasn't prepared for this.

Nicole exhaled sharply before huffing slightly as she fought back her own emotions. She was a smart girl and already had figured out why he hadn't answered her calls. “It... it happened... didn't it?”

Sam hardly could respond with much more than a strained whimper.

This was more than she needed as an answer. “Babe...” She sniffled loudly, as if too gain some strength for this. “Sam. Its OK.”

With her words, her basic and quick acceptance of what had happened to him, he broke entirely. Unable to help himself as the dam that was his emotional stability broke wide open. He was left sobbing uncontrollably. Knowing that this was needed, Nicole sat there quietly listening as she let her now fragile king cry his heart out over the phone until he calmed down after a long while.

“Where are you, babe?” Nicole asked softly and somehow composed.

“I...” Sam huffed pathetically before wiping his eyes. “I'm at the barn...” he stopped once again for a wave of sobs. “I wanted to see you but.... but...” speaking became hard as more tears came.

Nicole hushed him calmly. “Its alright, hunny... Give me a few minutes. Ill be right there, OK?”

Sam answered dumbly with an 'uh huh.'

“Ill bring a few blankets with me. Just relax, Sam. Ill be right there...” The sounds of her gathering her things cluttered through the line.

“I...I will be here.” Sam choked.

“I know you will. Just relax, hunny... Please. Don't hurt yourself.” She instructed, mature as always.

Sam nodded quietly before ending the call. As soon as the call was over he dropped the phone and struggled with another huge session of tears. Inside he was eternally happy that she wasn't scared; that she was not going to act drastically and reject him. That, however, was countered by the equal demons who challenged how long her coolness would last.

He waited impatiently for her for the very few minutes it took for the sounds of her Baja Bug to grow from the distance. Its engine note in the distance sounded rushed and powerful; she was racing to him. With each second, the exhaust note of her car drew swiftly closer and closer. Eventually the headlights began to grow around the corner of the barn that Sam faced and with grace, her Bug slid to a stop around the corner. Nicole sat still for several moments, watching towards Sam's Challenger before turning off her car.

After a few silent moments of Sam looking back at her in the shadows of his darkly lit cabin before popping the door open and getting out slowly. He tried to exit his door as smoothly as possible by holding his weight up with the door and the roof of the car. With a bit of shaking efforts, he stood up on his legs that he had only just begun to get used too. He felt his throat begin to tighten once again as he could see the very brief panicked look that Nicole wore when she finally saw him. Even though she quickly composed herself and turned to having no fear or unease about him, his knees began to feel weak from the brief look. With some mustered strength, Sam moved from his door and closed it. He took a few steps towards the front of the car before his quivering legs gave out beneath him, leaving his knees to fall heavily into the sand. He grunted in annoyance. He had no plan for how he was going about this; there was no words that he could hope to say to her. With a frustrated groan, he rested his arm on the hood of his car to support himself as he looked down at the ground, feeling stupid. He sighed sadly and let a single tear roll off his cheek.

“Sam...” Nicole spoke softly after some time before him. She had gotten out and made it over to him after had fallen.

She frowned slightly when he seemed to ignore her.

“Hey... come on.” She smiled as she lightly took his jawline in her hands. “Look at me.”

With a tad of her influence, he looked up silently up to her. It wasn't that he really had to look up or anything; Even on his knees he was just below her eye level at his size.

“Sam... Its OK.” She smiled. “I'm here now.”

“Thank you...” Sam choked up shakily.

“Of course.” She smiled a bit more before she stepped a bit closer to hug him as best as she could.

As she hugged him, he wrapped his arms around her tenderly, careful not to hurt her, as he softly nuzzles his head under her chin. He couldn't help the soft heaves his lungs gave as his crying returned. While he knew not how to act on this scenario, he was at ease in the fact that he now felt safe. Maybe it was her acceptance and support that she was all too eager to give him, or maybe it was the simple comfort of having another to embrace after this had all happened. Whichever it was, it was a vital component that he clearly needed. With this warmness unfolding between the two, they stayed stationary; he held his lady and she held her man with all of the tenderness the two could collectively share between each other.

“I love you.” Nicole whispered into Sam's ear, tightened her hug around him.

“How?” Sam spoke doubtfully with sniffles. “I'm a freak...” he huffed softly.

Nicole rolled her eyes. “You stop that shit right now, Samuel.” She said calmly but sternly, snuffing out any of that depressive talk out immediately.

“But...”

“No.” She pulled away from him and looked him in the eye. “You stop that bubbling cliché. You will be fine.”

Sam grimaced slightly; he hate her guts. “How will I be fine?”

“You'll be fine because I say you will be.”

“What makes you say that?” Sam protested.

“Well...” She smiled. “I think you kind of look just fine. Besides... I don't care what you look like as long as its still you.”

“I guess...” He looked down as he had no protest.

“You look cool in fact.” She chuckled as she tried to lighten the mood. “This is just like District 9.” She chuckled.

“Yeah? Except I'm not a bug.”

“They were shrimps, Sam... Not bugs.” She corrected immediately in a matter-of-factly fashion.

He scoffed.

“Well... its either that or a less shitty version of Skyline...”

“Yeah? A version where we all don't automatically die?” Sam couldn't hide the faint smile from the sudden turn of topic.

“Exactly...” she hugged him once again.

“I'm sorry...” he sighed against her, embracing around her once again slowly.

“For what? Its not like you totally went out of your way to have this done too you.”

“True...” he sighed.

“But then again” She chuckled playfully. “I know how much you go looking for trouble.”

Sam chuckled in response. “Now what?” He asked her after a long pause.

“We are going to lay some blankets and pillows down and relax. That is what you need to do.”

“Yeah... your right...” He let go of her and carefully stood himself up. As he did, he noticed that she took a step back from him to look up at him.

For a moment she seemed to take a finer look onto his new form. She had even seemed to bite her lip slightly as her eyes glazed over him. Sam smiled slightly at this; whether she would say it openly or not, she liked how he looked. After a moment of treating him like eye candy, she shook her blushing self before going back to her car to get blankets. She quickly set them down at the side of the barn. Sam carefully moved over to the soft plush canvas and pillows before he slowly rested himself down, careful not to fall over onto Nicole. Once he was settled down on the blanket she sat next to him; without a moment to pause, she quickly moved to snuggle against his side. As her warmth joined with his, his mind slipped even further into calmness as he had before; instinctively he wrapped his arm around her so she could be embraced by him and have a place to rest her head.

For a brief point in time, all was peaceful; the only sounds that stood out from the quiet Texas night was Sam's louder-than-normal breathing. The two just lay against each other as they shared body heat from one of the other. Since Sam was clearly the much larger of the two, this case was a lot more true for him. Despite this, the sky was very clear and the stars above were very visible to the naked eye.

Nicky shifted slightly from him. “Which one do you think your 'new' people come from?” She asked openly as she watched up to the sky.

“Hmm?” Sam looked over at her slightly before looking upwards. He sighed softly in slight confusion.

“Do you think they are from over there?” She asked s she pointed towards the east.

“I don't know, hun. Who knows what star group they are from...”

“'Star group?'” she giggled.

“You know what I mean.” Sam rolled his eyes with a smile.

“Yeah... I think they are from over there” She smiles and pointed now towards a fairly bright cluster of stars to the west.

“Maybe. But I don't really care...” Sam sighed. “I just want to be here with you...” He put simply. “That's really all I care about right now.”

Nicky smiled as she moved up and kissed his cheek.

For the time being, things were alright.
Sign up to rate and review this story