Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > A Different Path (Shino X Kiba)

Chapter Two: Deep Thoughts in the Dead of Night

by WasARainbow 0 reviews

What if Shino had accepted Danzō's offer and joined Root? What would it be like if he never entered the academy? Never had any friends? In this story the Naruto character's lives take a different ...

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Kiba,Shino - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2015-12-30 - 1478 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or the characters of Naruto. This is a non-profit fan made story.

Copyright Claim: Story and plot of "A Different Path" belong to me and me alone.

Rated M: For language, violence and Male X Male.

Note: There may be spelling and grammar mistakes. I am currently looking for an editor.

Pairings: Shino X Kiba, Izumo X Kotetsu


_________________________________

A Different Path

_________________________________

Chapter Two: Deep Thoughts in the Dead of Night

_________________________________

It had been 7 hours since they left Konoha. Within those hours Kiba, Kotetsu and Izumo had chatted amongst themselves and learned a little more about each other. Such as Kotetsu having a great fear of Ostriches and Izumo's favorite food being Daikon Salad. While Shino stayed silent only answering a few of the questions directed towards him with either a yes or no. They had left at noon and now the sun was on the horizon creating a haunting orange glow that shone through the cover of the cool shady trees. Shino stopped the group. "We should make camp," He said. His covered eyes turned to the second highest rank among them. "Kiba, scout out a safe location for us to stay the night."

Kiba frowned at the bug user. "But it's only seven." He exclaimed. "The sun won't set for another hour and a half at this time of year."

Shino quirked an eyebrow at Kiba. The ANBU member was honestly in a bit of shock. It was very rarely his orders were ever questioned. When they were questioned it was normanly over severe circumstances and dire emergencies. A shinobi (especially one of lower rank) questioning him over when to make camp had never crossed the bug user's mind. Thinking this ninja did not quite understand him, he decided to explain his decision. "We should camp now because we are just outside the area where the assassins have been spotted. It would be best we stop and rest tonight and proseed in the early hours of the morning. This will allow us the chance of catching them by surprise. If we were to continue to trudge ahead now, we would be blindly walking into their territory."

"So what?" Kiba scowled. Thier leader seemed way too nitpicky for the dog ninjas liking. "There's no way I could sleep now! Why take so much precaution?" Kiba wined. "A couple of assassins won't be too hard for us ninja even if we… we…" Shino had fazed in right in front of Kiba faster than any of the other ninja had thought a person possible.

There was an air of annoyance and fury oozing off the bug ninja in almost unbearable waves. Kiba took a step back against his will. "Kiba," Shino said looming over him, his face remaining impassive. "We are making camp now. Why? Because I ordered it and I am the leader on this mission." Shino's voice still held the same monotone it had always held but it felt frigid and hostile. A look of discomfort and caution were exchanged between Kotetsu and Izumo.

Not wanting to further anger a shinobi who was obviously far more skilled than himself, Kiba shook his head, "I-I understand. I'm sorry. I'll leave." He and Akamaru then obediently left the group to search for a resting place. Shino was glad Kiba left without further argument however his irritation and discomfort still lingered in the air. Kotetsu and Izumo didn't say a word until Kiba returned with news of a nearby lake and heavy tree growth.

When they were done making camp Shino's mood seemed to have calmed down. He was glad his assertion of leadership had worked and that Kiba had proved his worth by finding a safe place by some watter. "We will attack at 4am," The ANBU member told the other shinobi. "I will take first night watch. Izumo you will take second."

"Understood," Said Izumo and the other two nodded in agreement.

Shino sat in the branches of an old oak tree as he watched the others cram inside their small tent for the night. The ANBU member could overhear them bickering to each other about the dog Akamaru. Kiba seemed to be trying to convince the others to let the dog stay in the tent while the other two tried to kick the large hound out. When they had finally settled down, letting the dog stay in the tent and Kotetsu mentioning 'he would use Akamaru as a pillow,' Shino took a moment to think everything over to himself.

So far this mission had been the most uncomfortable the bug ninja had ever partaken in. He was used to hard labor, killing and even torture. Those things came naturally to him. When there was only the mission on Shino's mind he could endure. But the three ninja the ANBU member had been paired with were not like him. Thier minds seemed to be elsewhere. They were constantly chatty and joyful which confused the ANBU member. Shino had been with many ninja who had felt joy before but their joy ether came from killing or relieve from a completed mission. Never had Shino encountered shinobi who just seemed generally happy, whether they were in the middle of a mission or not.

Due to this strange behavior it was hard for Shino to predict his allies movements. Whenever he thought they would do one thing they seemed to do the other. Especially Kiba. Normally missions were completed in silence. Kiba seemed to not be able to stop talking. Their where normally scheduled times for squads to take breaks. Kiba, Kotetsu and Izumo would take them whenever they deemed necessary.

Shino was on edge. Though, as Kiba said, these assassins would most likely be easily handled. There was still doubt in Shino's mind that the Chūnin and Jōnin could handle them. Izumo seamed a capable man and was the least chatty among the three. Which was why Shino put him on second watch. But he was still just a Chūnin. Kotetsu was also a Chūnin and almost as talkative and scatter brained as the dog ninja. Then there was Kiba and Akamaru. Both of their skills seemed decent and their stamina above average. But Kiba was the most obnoxious, thick headed and brash ninja Shino had ever met. Would his comrades be up to the task this mission required of them? Would they become a burden? All these thoughts swam in the bug user's mind as time slowly ticked away.

_________________________________

At last Izumo emerged from the camp and Shino was able to leave the tree he'd been sitting in for several hours. "Izumo have Kiba take third watch and Kotetsu have forth." Ordered Shino. "We will need to be up by 4am this morning."

"Understood," said Izumo. Then the Chūnin took over the spot the ANBU member had been previously occupying.

When Shino entered their small tent he was met with a bizarre sight. Kiba was completely sprawled all over the right side of the tent. Akamaru was lying next to him in the middle and Kotetsu had his arm around Akamaru with his head pressed into the dog's fur as a makeshift pillow. The small spot where Izumo had been laying was very cramped and now occupied one of Kotetsu's legs. Shino took a moment considering how to go about this arrangement.

Once the bug ninja decided what course of action he would take Shino moved Kiba's limbs to the left and shifted the dog ninja on his side to make room for himself. The ANBU member did this with such skill and ease that Kiba's breath didn't even hitch as he was maneuvered. Shino then laid on his back and neatly pulled any covers he could reach over top of him. He left his sunglasses on and was about to close his eyes and prepare his body for sleep when an arm suddenly lunged out and laid across him.

Shino was startled. His normally steady heart skipped a beat. Silver eye's shot open to stare at the cause of his disturbance. Kiba was once again sprawled out. Only this time it was all over Shino. For around the tenth time that night the bug user wondered how on earth, this snoring person lying next to him, was in fact, a ninja. As uncomfortable as Shino was he knew there was no use in moving Kiba again since it was only logical he would resume the same position. So Shino pushed all thoughts he could of the human next to him aside and forced his body to sleep.

Quote: "But I'm always dreaming, even when I'm awake; it is never finished." - The Last Unicorn

_________________________________

Thank you for reading! Please send me a review! How do you think Shino and Kiba will hookup in this story? ;D
Sign up to rate and review this story