Categories > TV > Lost > Taken care of

Hope in a given moment

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Jack gives Kate some hopeful news.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Kate - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-08 - 569 words

0Unrated
Jack had always believed in giving the facts to patients, not the 1 percent chance of hope. But what he didn’t realize was that hope could come in a given moment. What he’d given Juliet and Sawyer was hope. Kate brought him crashing back to reality when she pulled him in for a light kiss. Inhaling sharply, he felt an invisible electric charge. A smile curled on her lips she patted the cot with her free hand while the other kept Megan nestled under the blanket on her chest. She lowered her voice so that only they could hear.

“How is it that Juliet still has her baby Jack?”

Scratching at his five o-clock shadow Jack shook his head and sunk onto the cot.

“You know I can’t talk about that Kate. That is between me and her.”

Kate finished his sentence.

“Doctor/patient confidentiality. I know. Are you any closer to finding out how to fix Megan’s problem?”

He ran a hand over his head and rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

“It’s going to take time Kate. I will stay up all night tonight if I have to. To get the answers that I’m looking for. Megan’s heart rate is holding steady. She’s on 4 percent oxygen. I’ll up it a half a percent if she needs it. She’s a little wheezy this morning. Her breathing should even out with the 2 percent increase in oxygen I’ve given her. She’s comfortable for the moment.”

Kate nodded running a gentle finger over Megan’s tiny hand. Everything had fallen apart so fast in recent weeks.

“Jack how can a healthy baby go from strong to fragile in just one month?”

She knew it was a stupid question to ask. But maybe it was justified.

“Sometimes these things can be hard to trace. Juliet and I a few days after you… Passed we checked her heart. We couldn’t find a single thing wrong. It may have developed over time or it could’ve been too small to detect. Juliet thinks we might be able to fix her heart. But we’ll have to wait another four months before her heart is strong enough.”

Eyes lighting up Kate let a smile grace her lips.

“She’ll be strong enough by then?”

A slight nod of his head, Jack ran an index finger over Megan’s cheek to comfort her. He’d done everything he could in the last couple of weeks to make sure his daughter was comfortable.

“She’s holding on. She’s a fighter. You need some rest. Get some sleep. I’ll watch over her for a little while. We’re a team remember?”

Kate smirked and handed Megan over to Jack.

“I haven’t forgotten. Don’t let me sleep more than a couple of hours.”

Nodding in agreement Jack felt he was starting feel like he wasn’t a failure anymore. His father had been wrong. Hope could come in a given moment. Not just for his daughter but for both Sawyer and Juliet. There were many things that happened on the island, things that in reality, in the real world would be completely impossible. He didn’t quite understand it all, but he’d have to start accepting it sooner or later. His stubborn nature and defiance blocked him though.



To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story