Categories > Original > Fantasy > Unbloomed Flowers

Unbloomed Flowers

by the_94th_river 0 reviews

A small tale about two lovers and their Love that never got the chance to flourish.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2016-02-17 - 2269 words - Complete

0Unrated
It's a prequel to my other story "Curious Happenings That Changed it All". This one takes place during


Chapter One



Long ago there were number of battles fought between kings, in such a battle two childhood friends fought together, they were Pratap Narayan, king of Haragovindgarh and Surya Prakash Singh King of Shivapuri. The war was fought bravely, but it demanded a huge price. Pratap Narayan won the battle but he lost his childhood friend to a arrow which was fired for him, Surya had jumped in its way to save him! Surya Praksh died a hero's death, he left behind a throne and his young heir Vijay Prakash. With none of parents available, as little Vijay Prakash's mother died in childbirth, Pratap Narayan decided to raise Vijay with his daughter Sohini who was couple of years older than Vijay.
When he returned to his palace he was welcomed with a good news, the Queen Urmila was expecting another child! Pratap Narayan was overjoyed as were his subjects.
When Pratap Narayan took Vijay to the queen, Rani Urmila took little Vijay in her arms, it was when the little prince of Shivapuri opened his eyes, yawned and when his eyes met Rani Urmila's he gave her a toothless smile. Tears sprang to the queen's eyes, a feeling of warmth spread through her entire being , she vowed to herself she would raise Vijay as her own along with her children.
On a beautiful day of next autumn Princess Sujata was born. The king was over the moon, that year a huge puja was arranged at the palace, the Idol of Devi Parvati with little Ganesha on her lap was retrieved from its hidden chamber for worship. The Idol was earlier worshipped only on occasions like crowning ceremonies of new kings, so it was a did that was adored as well as criticised by elders.
After birth of Princess Sujata it was as if the whole dynasty was blessed, Elders claimed that Princess Sujata was blessed by goddess Lakshmi, goddess of wealth and Enrichment.
__________________
Time flew by, 14 autumns had passed since Princess's birth. Those three children were now at their teen. Princess Sohini was heir to the crown, Prince Vijay was now in his way of becoming a great warrior and scholar, but he liked to craft his weapons himself with kings blacksmith and Princess Sujata had grown up into an young lady.yet she still.was that young girl who liked to chase small ducklings in royal garden she was equally master of philosophy, literature, she had read all the Puranas and Mahakavyas (epics), she singed like Gandharvas of Devlok and danced like a Apsara.
When they were growing up, prince Vijay and Princess Sujata were inseparable, they played together and learned together. So when they entered their teenage the king and queen decided to betroth them. The king did this to make sure no other can demand him for his daughter's hand in marriage.


When the excitement for princess Sujata's 15 birthday birthday celebration dimmed Prince Vijay went to Pratap Narayan for his permission so that he could travel to master craftsmen who lived in depth of Himalayas. Reluctantly the King gave his permission and blessings. But when princess Sujata heard of it she ran to Prince Vijay's chambers.
When she reached Prince Vijay's chamber she found him packing.
"Vijay are you really going away? "Sujata Asked quietly
"Yes Sujata." Vijay Prakash replied.
"A-are you leaving us? " Sujata's voice was trembling her eyes burned.
Vijay noted there was something different in Sujata's voice, when he turned around tears were streaming down of Sujata's eyes.
"Sujata, dear why are you crying? I'm going for apprenticeship. I'll come back."
"Don't go Vijay please! " Sujata threw her arms around Vijay and hugged him tightly,
"Is it that important? Do you really have to go? please don't leave me." Sujata asked between sobs.
Vijay slowly lifted her chin and looked into her eyes, "Sujata, my love, I give you my word, I will come back, as soon as my apprenticeship is over. Please don't cry, whenever you cry my heart breaks into thousand pieces. I didn't wanted to go but I vowed to protect you. For your protection I need to do this."

Sujata again hugged him , this time tighter. But she stopped sobbing. Vijay hugged her back.
They didn't knew how long they stood that way.
After a while Vijay quietly called, "Sujata? "
"Yes?" Sujata replied.
"Lets go to gardens, I don't want our last memory together to be of this incident.


Princess Sohini was with her father when she first heard about Vijay's apprenticeship, she was overjoyed. Her brother in all but blood was at last going to touch his dreams. But then suddenly it dawned to her that when Sujata will hear about it she would be very much hurt. Since childhood they were close, almost inseparable. Whenever Vijay was away Sujata was either sad or unenthusiastic. She will be very much upset. King Pratap Narayan noticed his elder daughter, the line on her forhead indicated something was troubling her.
"What is troubling you my daughter? " Pratap Narayan asked.
"Baba, it's Sujata. When she would be aware of this she would be sad, very sad." Sohini sighed, "last time when Vijay went to his cousin's state and Sujata couldn't join him because of illness , she cried for days. We couldn't make her eat properly." concern was evident on Sohini's face and voice.
"My dear daughter what you are telling is true, but we can not stop Vijay from his apprenticeship, let's go to see your sister, if we both try may be she will understand. "
On their way to princess Sujata's chambers they heard the sound of Sujata's melodious laugh coming from the garden. When they went to inspect the source they found Sujata was on a swing, a few freshly picked flowers were adorned on her hair, and the swing was being pushed by a very happy Vijay Prakash.
When they were aware of thei audience, Sujata jumped of the swing and ran to her sister and hugged her tightly. Vijay walked to Pratap Narayan and bowed.
Pratap Narayan laughed and clapped on Vijay's shoulder, "No need for formalities son! We're in private now." Then he asked in hushed voice, " Does Sujata knows? "
Vijay looked over to Sujata, who was showing off the flowers to Sohini, "Yes she knows about it, she was upset at first, then I managed to show her reason. " Vijay sighed.
Sohini asked, "Sujata are you happy that Vijay is going to touch his dream atlast? "
"Yes Didi, I'm so happy but it's hurting too, he will be away for god knows how long. But Vijay promised me he'll come back as soon as it's over." Sujata smiled weakly.
Sohini felt as if a great weight was from her heart, she was strong but not strong enough to see her sister hurting. She smiled back and joined their father and Vijay towards the inner chambers.
***
Princess Sujata bid her good bye smiling when Vijay went on his way. As soon as she was in the privacy of her bed chamber, she broke down in tears. For a long time it became her daily routine to appear happy to public and cry in solitude. Her health started to show her inner suffering, then one day the Queen Urmila confronted her and made her see reasons how Vijay wouldn't want Sujata hurting, and that he would return to her and on his return of he saw her as she is now it would be more painful for Vijay.
Atlast Sujata stopped her daily crying session.
Time flew by, it had been four years since vijay had went for his apprenticeship. Vijay Prakash had finally written back to home. His apprenticeship was completed. Very soon he was returning. He just needed to do some final assignments for his mentor. Then he'll be returning to home. Entire palace was happy, Princess Sujata was floating with happiness .
The entire kingdom was in peace, the king was content. Pratap Narayan had finally found a appropriate groom for Princess Sohini. Entire kingdom was glowing with happiness. The palace was being decorated for the upcoming celebrations. During this period, one night the Palace received a guest. A very distant cousin of Pratap Narayan came to visit. Nobody knew what he did. Pratap Narayan couldn't even remember him. But it was against the family traditions to exclude relatives from celebrations.
This relative, Chandranath along with his 20 men accepted the king's hospitality. These people started to help around in palace, some helped in kitchens, some helped in security and some joined the gardener.
Nobody noticed when one evening such a man entered the kitchen in which foods for entire royal staffs were usally made and pour some thing into the food. As The royal kitchen was maintained under the Queen's orders and by her personal servants the royal family was saved from the tainted food.
When Chandranath was sure that there was nobody to interfere in his way he attacked the Kings personal chambers. Pratap Narayan fought but soon he was disarmed. When Queen came to help him Chandranath injured her fatally. This was the scenario that welcomed two princesses when they were brought in. Chandranath threatened the king with his children's life.
"Maharaja Pratap Narayan! Your highness! Please tell where is the Durga Idol that made your clan so enriched! " Chandranath said sarcastically, "Tell me old man or otherwise I will torture your daughters! They will spend their most painful hours in my hands. And they will only given the privilege to die after theit minds have been broken! Tell me old man!" His harsh, cruel threats ended up into shouts.
Sujata couldn't believe her own eyes, for a moment she thought it was all dreams. But the pain she was feeling from the hold near her neck was telling her something more sinister. When Sohini Di went to shout for help, they were informed all the royal staffs were killed by poisoned food! These inhumans forcibly brought then here, when she entered the room and her eyes met the gfloor at first she didn't understand, it was her scream that was ringing in her ears! Her eyes were blurred with tears, she was on floor trying to close the wound in her mother's neck that was bleeding, she saw as her mother's brilliant eyes slowly lost colour. She was weeping. The madman, whome till this evening she knew as a distant uncle.was threatening her father. Her father was on floor too, he was bleeding profusely, Sohini was trying to help him when suddenly the madman made her stand by pulling her hair, Sohini felt as the man ripped off her locks, the madman looked into her eyes,his voice as silk,"Sohini, dear do you know what is the Hereditary Durga Idol of Haragovindgarh? " Sohini nodded fearfully. "Oh dear that's so good!"Chandranath exclaimed and he snuggled his chin on her shoulder and drew a long breath as if he was enjoying her smell of fear. Sohini was shaking like a leaf, she couldn't determine why though, because of the pain of loosing mother or seeing her father in his current condition or because she was afraid for her sister or simply because of disgust.
Chandranath asked again, "Do you know dear where it is kept? " Sohini nodded tearfully.
"will you be a sweet little girl and show me the way? " she was about to answer when her father shouted, "No Sohini never! You will not lead that demon to our goddess' idol!"
"Oh shut up old man!" Chandranath decapitated Pratap Narayan as if he was some bundle of straw! Sohini shrieked, she couldn't stand anymore. Her legs gave away she fell to the floor, the ornate carpet that once decorated floor magnificently, now soaked with blood welcomed her. She cried, She cried for her mother, she cried for her father, she cried for all those died that night. Sujata was sitting on the carpet like a statute carved of stone! Chandranath and his gang of goons were laughing! Sohini anyhow reached to Sujata.
"Sujata? Sujata? Sister speak! For gods sake say something! " she called and called but Sujata didn't replied.
"Enough!" Chandranath shouted, "You" he crouched down in front of her and pointed at Sohini, "will take me to there "
"Never! You bastard! " she spat at his face.
Chandranath backhanded the girl making her lips split, he stood up,"Break her arrogance!" he ordered to his men, the laughing barbarians circled Sohini. Chandranath went to Sujata, he saw the younger girl was writing on a relatively clean part of floor, it read, "YOU PROMISED, BUT YOU DIDN'T CAME!" the girl was again and again repeating the line.
The room filled with Sohini's painful screams, oh how much he loved the cry of pain! The younger one was already broken, he frowned. Then suddenly the screams ceased! He rushed in the room and saw one of his minions had broken the girls neck! He let out a anguished scream! And gutted the fool there! All his preparations now were in vain! He walked out to corridor, Sujata was still writing, she was giggling like lunatic! His anger blinded him again, he kicked her in back pressing her smsmall frame against the floor, and raised his sword for final time. The royal family of Haragovindgarh was no more!



Note : All the characters are imaginary. This is purely a work of fiction. And I myself am disgusted with the the late portion of this chapter.
Sign up to rate and review this story