Categories > Movies > Newsies > Everyone Sees it Diffrently

Chapter VI (Cards)

by Cards 0 reviews

The next day, after school a cast rehursal.

Category: Newsies - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Dutchy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-06-17 - Updated: 2005-06-18 - 1399 words

0Unrated
I yawn in my last period class, looking down over my notes. I've been working really hard on them, its taken me all of class. The Play is in a month and I don't have much time to get everything done, so I have to be able to trust my crews.

Charlie is head of lights, well according to him at least, I need to work with him to get the special lighting for "Out Tonight" done this weekend. Heather is spending a lot of time working on the dances, she's being a real sport. But I do have to ask her to come in for more costume fittings.

I lean back in my seat and beam, three years of hard work are coming together in this. I've been working since a freshmen to get Rent done in our school and its finally coming together. We've got the cast all worked out. Bailey playing Joanne our real find. Shortie is Maureen, and ecstatic about it. Dutchy is Rodger, he's been a doll about learning to play the guitar for the role. And Specs is Mark. I was really surprised about Specs. He hadn't ever auditioned before, but apparently Hotshot made him.

The band is looking perfect. I can relax, the sets are working fine. My biggest worry is the scaffolding. How are we supposed to get it ready when Lights will be working on it until the show? I start writing down that worry as my teacher glares at me. "Cards!" She snaps.

"Sorry Ms. Child" I grin sheepishly, I don't mean to slack off in class. And I like English, really I do. Its just harder for me to concentrate on anything during this time. I know that I'll have to, My Major choice is ambitious. Trying to do a double major with my GPA.

I go back to doing my work as I blush a little. My notes for Rent are still on my desk and I find myself reading the Lighting notes that Ben and Charlie left for me. I know that they lighting stuff isn't too hard. I just don't want to have to have some emergency come up the week before the show.

The bell rings and I grab my stuff almost running out the door. I have to get down to work on some costume problems before I can go escape into the light booth and get some work done.

For me life is put on hold during drama. There really isn't a reason besides its what I want to do.

Right now we're done with blocking, thankfully so I can keep working on what's going on back stage. Our crew is kind of weird, there is the main crews and the crew heads. Example: Head of Lights is Charlie/Ben depending on who you talk to. Head of Costumes: Tanya Head of Prop: Tanya. Head of Set: Kim. The heads all talk and then make decisions. And I'm kinda like head of all the crews.

Its really hard and by the end of it most people hate me. I've learned to deal with it but last year I got really bitchy because the actors were being nitwits. I instead have decided to work harder to make sure that they know that I'm really doing my job.

This years its easier because that cast is smaller. Thank god, now that there aren't the huge cast rivalries there isn't so much for people to get pissed about. Even though I bet people are pissed over stupid things.

As I walk into the auditorium and shrug my back pack off I feel someone pointing a stick into my back "Charlie, please stop attacking me." I grin. Drama kids are the best.

Charlie laughs "Never Woman!" He taps my head with the stick, which he has decided is really a foil. Charlie is one half of the light crew. I mean there are other people but him and Ben are really all there is. Ben is the one who does most of the stuff regarding the board and Charlie is who everyone blames when something goes wrong.

Kim is ordering around a group of religious kids who signed up for set crew. They work pretty well but Mary is annoying. She thinks that she can order me around. That never goes well. But I don't really know much about her. But what I do know is that she's a bitch.

Dutchy is lounging around with the guitar, his fingers look in pain from five feet away. "Hey" I grin sitting down in front of him. I have about three minutes to relax. "You doing okay?" I mean how is he doing with the guitar.

"Well I got some confusing stuff right now, but I guess I'm doing fine."

I realize he didn't mean about the guitar.

"Dude I don't have much time right now but call me and I can talk with you" I say patting his arm.

I smile looking around again, Today we're rehearsing La Vie Bohem, its complicated and the guy who plays Benny isn't in today so I have to say his lines. I sigh, so much for working with the crew heads to get those problems worked out.

I don't mind saying peoples lines, really I don't its annoying when I have other things to do and when I get yelled at by the actors but really I'm okay with it. I'm not okay with the fact that they act like its my fault that the guy is missing.

Mush is great, he never gets pissy that I don't sing for Collins. I love him, only not in the romantic way.

I really don't like romance. I never have, think its stupid to waste all that time on something as basic as sex, if that's what some one wants then they should say. Not spend a ton of money on stuff to then just have an over all unpleasant experience.

Yes my view has been skewed. My dad has been married three times and my mom four. I don't like marriage at all. And between the two of them they've guaranteed that I am never to be a romantic. My step brother from my mom's most recent marriage is a complete romantic spending too much cash on his girlfriend who routinely dumps him and takes him back.

For me its just not worth the trouble. I know where I'm going and it doesn't make sense to get involved with anyone.

I look down at my script. Benny doesn't do that much in this, not that many solos. Thank god Specs is here. He's sitting off to the side, looking over his lines. His glasses are perched on his head. I walk over to him "Hey"

"Oh hi" He says looking over the scene "I can't believe I'm gunna have to talk about erections while my grandmother watches"

"Yeah, Its only like what One line, and you don't really say much."

"My grandmother pretends we're not Jewish, She thinks erections are unholy" He grins. Specs' little sister has told me about their insane grandma who came over after WW2 and decided that they weren't Jewish to protect the family. Well she decided that after raising her daughter in the East side in a kosher neighborhood.

"Your grandmother will get over it. We're not changing La Vie Bohem," I smile. I'm actually really proud of this. I've spent a lot of time on it. I actually got to help with the choreography. And I did the choreography for "Contact". Its powerful and sexual with out much contact.

I smile as Dutchy bounds over to me. "Hey" He grins and I notice the way he looks at Specs with a lingering gaze.

"Hey" I grin as he hugs me. As much as I hate being touched Dutchy just touches everyone, so I don't really mind that much. And he's my best friend sometimes I try and envision us as more but it never works, I always laugh.

Dutchy takes a few seconds looking Specs over, he wears khaki pants. Kind of loose and almost falling off of his slim frame, a tightish white shirt. He looks the part of Mark when he walks in. I'm really surprised at how good he is.

"Cards will you go out with me?" I hear Dutchy ask.

"WHAT!"
Sign up to rate and review this story