Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > To the End of the World . . . and After

Meeting the League, part 1

by DrT 0 reviews

After Trigon was defeated, the Justice League feels the need to ask some questions

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Raven,Robin - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2016-05-25 - 3636 words - Complete

2Insightful
To the End of the World . . . and After
A Teen Titans fic, by DrT

*
Final reminder: This story is based on the 2003-2006 Teen Titans animated series, not the comics or other versions. Many others own the copyrights, not I. I’m just playing.
*

Chapter II – Meeting the League I
349 Days before the end of the world.

The next morning, Robin left notes on the others’ door that there would be a team meeting in the common area at 9:00 (which at least meant there was no training in the immediate future). Cyborg was washing his frying pans while Beast Boy was just starting his cereal when Robin came back to the room to start the meeting. Raven and Starfire left the sofa to join the others in the kitchen area. The two simply sat in the air, crossing their legs, while Robin stood between them and Beast Boy.

“What’s up?” Cyborg asked as he dried the last frying pan from breakfast.

“I filed our after action reports on Trigon yesterday afternoon. I got a return message from the Justice League, asking us to attend a meeting up on their station tonight at 6:00.”

“Are we all in trouble, or just me?” Raven asked.

“Why would any of us be in trouble?” Beast Boy asked in return.

Raven sighed. “When I first came to Earth, I met with the Justice League. Zatanna tried to have me terminated as an invading demon. Batman disagreed, but the League refused to help me.”

“They should be feeling guilty, but they can be pretty self-righteous,” Cyborg pointed out. Unlike the sometimes star-struck Beast Boy, Cyborg had no illusions about the League or any of its members. They were great heroes, but some had even greater egos, and few tolerated the super powered who were not part of their ranks. The Titans held a very ambiguous place, not even associate members of the League, but still in contact with them. This rankled a few of the League members, who felt they should be exercising at least some direct supervision. “I know we’ve gotten flak from some of them in the press, but that might have been exaggerated.”

“It mostly wasn’t,” Robin said. “Batman and I weren’t on the best of terms when I left, but he did agree to help me out, to see if I could make it on my own. In a sense, I haven’t, but I think we’ve done very well as a team. It was only his backing that prevented the League from trying to shut us down from the start. Aquaman and Green Arrow have both been a help once Aqualad and Speedy joined Titans East. Despite that, some of the others still want to shut us down, and even more want us under their direct supervision, if not under their direct orders.”

“So, they might be after me, they might be after the team, or it might even be both,” Raven again pointed out. “Robin, bring along those statistics we ran last month, in case they are after the team.”

“But you said Batman. . . .” Beast Boy started, but Robin broke in, “Batman might be the most influential member of the League, but he’s still just one member.”

“Is someone going to cover for us, or will some of us stay?” Cyborg asked.

“A Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Hawkman will be here at two in case we need to brief them on anything,” Robin answered. Seeing the look on Raven’s face, Robin walked over to her. “Nothing will go wrong. They can’t kick you out of the Titans, and you certainly haven’t done anything wrong.”

“I am related to a demon,” Raven pointed out. “That’s reason enough for some people. And they can always invite us into the League, and then accept all of the team except me.”

“That won’t happen, at least the second part. And no, they won’t kick you out.”

“But they can try to take us over again,” Cyborg pointed out.

“I do not wish to join them,” Starfire pouted. “Despite being heroes, some of them are not nice.”

“We can always join the Doom Patrol,” Beast Boy piped up. “Of course, Mento is so hardnosed he makes Robin’s training look reasonable.” He frowned. “You know, I haven’t heard from any of them in a while.”

“We won’t need to join the Doom Patrol,” Robin said firmly. “No one is breaking up the team. We all have had problems with each other at times, but we work them out. We are a true team, a family even. If someone on the station has a problem with any or all of us, we’ll take care of it.” Only Raven knew Robin was not quite as certain as he was trying to come across.

*

Despite being at least as nervous as the others, Robin coaxed the other Titans into having a snack before leaving. The group’s nerves were not eased by the three League members, who seemed to be as in the dark as much as the Titans, although Raven believed the Green Lantern knew something. At 4:30, the T-ship launched into low Earth orbit, and then Cyborg raised its orbit until it docked with the Watchtower after a bit more than an hour’s flight.

Robin was the only Titan to have been at the Watchtower before this, just as it was being completed. Vixen led them to a waiting room, telling them that the Council and a few others would be calling them in soon before she left them. While they were waiting, Robin made Beast Boy use the rest room.

Soon enough, however, the Flash appeared and led them into a meeting room. The League members present were (besides the Flash): Batman; Wonder Woman; Superman; Hawkgirl; the Martian Manhunter; Aquaman; a Green Lantern (Hal Jordan, John Stewart was the Green Lantern on duty in Titans’ Tower); Dr. Fate; and Zatanna. The Titans were glad to see Aquaman as well as Batman. Although he and Aqualad were having some disagreements, on the whole Aquaman was supportive of Titans East.

The Martian Manhunter was apparently the chair of this meeting, as he opened things. “We are meeting today with the group known as the Titans. Concerns have been made known both about the group in general and about some of its members. Considering the recent Trigon incident, it has been decided to bring these concerns forward and see if they can be resolved.”

“We are technically independent of the League,” Robin pointed out. “Why would you have any more right to judge us than we would to judge you, your membership, or your actions?”

“You’re not that independent of the League,” Superman pointed out. “Over half the funds for building your Tower came from us, as did most of your first year’s operating budget.”

“Since my father provided the rest of those funds, and supplied the actual building crews and materials at cost, does that mean you believe he has as much right to interfere as you do?” Cyborg snapped.

“We are chartered by the United Nations to supervise any such groups and individuals who operate as you do,” Superman argued, ignoring Cyborg’s argument. “You are approved of by a city council and some county commissioners.”

“Just say what you want to say,” Cyborg retorted.

Raven had been trying to stay quiet, but the hostility she was feeling from some of the League members was trying her patience. “We’ll take any suggestions you make under advisement.”

“Just who do you kids think you’re talking to?” Hawkgirl snapped.

“A bunch of nosey know-it-alls sticking those noses where they don’t belong?” Beast Boy asked. He was more than a bit star struck by Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, but having grown up in the Doom Patrol, he really wasn’t as impressed by the others. He also felt that while he, and sometimes the other three Titans, were allowed to tease Raven, no one outside the group should speak to her in the tone Hawkgirl had used, or give her the looks Zatanna had been directing towards the empath since they had come into the room. It was worth the look Hawkgirl was giving him, although it made him glad he was not in one of his smaller forms – he was feeling a bit like prey.

Raven shifted herself between Hawkgirl and Beast Boy, and showed the League member that at least one woman could out-glare her. ‘No one harasses Beast Boy but me,’ she thought as she defiantly crossed her arms. Zatanna winced as the empath’s thoughts struck her, and to amazement of the League members, it was Hawkgirl who averted her eyes first.

Under his mask, Doctor Fate smirked, but managed not to chuckle.

“We do not have any direct control over the Titans,” Batman stated firmly, breaking the tension. “However, we do have mandates which include looking over what you do. You acknowledged that, to at least some limited degree, when you accepted funding and accepted the exchanges of information we all enjoy. You are not subject to our will, but you are not fully independent nor are you full partners. So, before we all continue to get on each others’ nerves, if I know you, you should have some statistics to show us. Did you bring them with you? That should settle some concerns on this side of the table.”

“Do I have access to this?” Robin asked, pointing at a terminal.

“You do. Hit the icon marked ‘associates’ and then the Titans link.”

In less than a minute, the projector showed a graph and a chart side by side.

“What’s it all supposed to mean?” the Flash asked, puzzled.

Batman held up his hand and studied the screens for a few seconds, and then, as he spoke, typed into his terminal. “This information is accurate, and what it shows is, if you look at the raw data in some ways, that the Titans have been the most successful meta crime fighters defending a particular city over the last two years.” That brought some sounds of confusion. “Of course, not all cities are created equal. Using the weighted measurements the League uses to judge our members and similar individuals and groups doing similar urban-based wok, you would instead get this information.” New charts appeared on the screen. “Using our measurements, the Titans may not be the most successful heroes in defending their city, but over the last two years they do rank third, except in fundraising for charities and to help fix damages caused by what we all have to do to save our cities from even worse things. There, they are easily first, in part because they are able to operate more in the open than most of us in the League do, but also in part because of some very clever use of PR, created by Cyborg and Robin, and the public work they have all done. Individually they might have some problems, but as a group they have pulled together and are very successful. Whatever qualms any of us might have had when they came together almost three years ago, they have worked their way to success. While all of us in this room always have room for improvements, we should be very proud of their successes.”

“I agree,” Aquaman stated firmly.

“You two and Green Arrow almost have to support your wayward sidekicks,” Hawkgirl almost sneered.

That look disappeared when Batman glared at her. “You should all know the three of us better than that,” he almost growled.

“Whatever concerns we had about the Titans’ age and experience when they started, both Titan groups are doing well,” Superman stated.

“To my surprise, I must agree our concerns were largely unwarranted,” Woman Woman admitted. Hawkgirl and Zatanna, the two most critical, both huffed, knowing that going against Batman was difficult, but going against a united Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman was an exercise in futility.

“Let’s get to this demon here nearly destroying the world,” Hawkgirl stated with contempt in her voice.

“There are no demons present,” Dr. Fate cut across the objections to that statement.

“What?” Hawkgirl demanded.

“Fine,” Zatanna snapped, “the half-demon, then.” When Raven shrank back a bit on hearing that term, Cyborg placed a steadying hand on her shoulder, while the other three Titans glared at the magician.

“There is no such thing as a true ‘half-demon’,” Fate retorted. “Either a being is a demon, or one is not. Yes, Raven was born with a partially-realized mental demonic presence and a strong link to her father. Those and others like her, having a demon and a mortal as parents, must choose over their youth and adolescence which heritage they are going to embrace, but unless they embrace the demon and it fully takes over, they will remain mortals. Raven has chosen. Because of her recent actions, she no longer has any chance or ability to evolve into a true demon or be forced to become one. While she can no doubt still summon a demon, especially her father, easier than most, doing so is quite within my capability, and yours as well, Zatanna.”

Zatanna tried to protest. “But. . . .”

“At Batman’s suggestion, Raven has kept me fully informed, to be an expert but neutral observer,” Fate overrode her. He was older than most of the League members, and between his experience and his powers, there was no member of the League who could overawe him. “While Raven kept me fully informed, Robin also kept Batman informed. Raven contacted me two days ago, warning me once she realized it was ‘the day.’ Robin tried to contact both Batman and the Watchtower when the invasion began, but somehow by then the signals were blocked at that point. When Trigon appeared and cast that spell on the Earth, Wonder Woman and I were just outside the city limits, and we were not affected, nor were we alone.”

“Athena was waiting with us and the other Olympians were in readiness to assist if necessary,” Wonder Woman stated. “She protected us from the spell, and said they were going to give Raven and the other Titans their chance. The Olympians are no more fond of Trigon than we are; they had a plan to deal with him if they had to.”

“And I was leading a squad of seven other Lanterns,” Green Lantern stated. “We destroyed the dozens of minor demons that tried to make a run for open space. Three other squads were ready to give aid if needed.”

“Why weren’t we told of this?” Hawkgirl demanded.

“Why didn’t you access the information available to you as a member of the Council before this meeting?” Batman retorted. “This was all in the files you all had access to.”

“And you dealt yourself out of this, Zatanna,” Wonder Woman stated before the magician could object. “You refused to study the problem, proclaiming there was only one solution, one which I refused to be part of without proof you were never able to furnish, and which events proved was excessive.”

“We are all liable to error, in one direction or another,” Batman stated, to sooth Zatanna’s ego a little without letting her totally off the hook. “That’s why we operate as we do.” He turned to Fate. “Raven reported yesterday that she had exorcised the direct demonic connection, or at least that it is now broken. Is there any way to prove her correct?”

“There is, and I have done so since she entered the room. It is a simple spell for those with enough power,” Dr. Fate answered. “However, it did need this proximity for accuracy,” he said to the Titans.

“I am relieved to have that confirmed,” Raven responded, relaxing a bit for the first time since entering the station. “I was planning on contacting you so you could do just that.”

“Well, I still have concerns about heroes who act outside the League purview and parameters,” Hawkgirl stated. However, honesty made her continue, “but the Titan groups are hardly the only ones who do so.”

“In fact, in some ways they do act under our very indirect purview,” Green Lantern pointed out. “And they do operate under the same guidelines that we do, and do so very well.”

“Are we done here?” Robin asked, managing to be polite.

“I need to speak with you privately,” Batman said. He turned to the Martian. “Are we done talking with the Titans?”

The Martian thought for a moment, and then spoke. “Almost.” He turned to the Titans. “You are now aware of our concerns. I was asked to chair this part of our meeting because I was the most neutral. For now, I agree that our concerns have been answered. We will take a twenty minute break, and then the Council has other business. Cyborg, Mister Terrific had some ideas he wished to discuss with you. He should be outside, and will lead your other team mates to the cafeteria. When you and Robin are finished with your meetings, you are all free to go. Please feel free to spend as much time in the cafeteria as you wish.”

As the other Titans left, Batman led Robin into a side conference room. “What can I do for you?” Robin asked.

“Several things,” Batman answered. “Although you have not said much about it, you have read my emails about Jason?”

Robin nodded.

“I think he’ll be ready for the field in a year or so,” Batman replied. “You created the Robin persona. If you are planning on sticking with it, we will come up with something different for him. However, you did mention you might recreate the persona Starfire told you about.”

“Nightwing.”

Batman nodded. “If you do so, and only with your permission, Jason might go into the field in about a year to a year and a half as Robin, unless you think there can be two Robins.”

Robin shrugged. “A little confusion might be good.”

“True. Still, nothing is decided, and again, whatever happens will occur only with your input and permission.”

Robin nodded. “I’ll give it some serious thought, but I’ll likely go along either way.”

Batman sighed. “And another complication has cropped up.” Robin looked curious. “A very inquisitive twelve year old showed up the other week. He might be the most naturally gifted detective I’ve met, and not just for his age.”

“Showed up where?” Robin asked, worried.

“At the Batcave entrance,” was the surprising reply. “His name is Tim Drake, and he figured it all out. He has some natural physical skills, and the right attitudes, but he’s still with his parents. The Wayne Foundation is sponsoring him in self-defense classes right now.”

“So, two possible Robins,” Robin teased.

“You deserve to know,” Batman said simply. “Do your friends know who you are?”

“Raven knows,” Robin reminded him.

“That Slade incident you told me about. None of the others?”

Robin shook his head. “Only Starfire has seen me without the mask, and Raven only knows the basics, not the details.”

“If you trust them to know, I won’t object,” Batman said.

“In a way it’s unfair for me not to tell them, because I know more about their backgrounds than they know mine,” Robin mused. “On the other hand, none of them can easily pass for normal in the real world. If I needed to, I could, and would probably tell them then. Cyborg could no doubt figure it out if he wanted to, and maybe he has and just hasn’t said anything.”

Batman merely nodded. “I know I wrote this to you two years ago, but I do understand why you felt you had to leave. I was not entirely wrong about my attitude at the time, but I showed it the wrong way.”

“And as I wrote back, I forgave you,” Robin replied.

“Yet you still won’t visit.”

“I wouldn’t fight it if the right situation arises,” Robin promised.

“Then there is just one more thing for me to say,” Batman said. “As I told the League, we should be proud of the Titans.” He placed his hand on Robin’s shoulder. “I am also very proud of you and what you have accomplished. I am nearly in my late thirties. I can’t do this forever. When that time comes, if it fits into where you want to go with your life, you are welcome to come back to Gotham full time, as Robin or Nightwing . . . or as Batman.”

“Thank you,” Robin replied, slightly humbled at that last thought.

*

When the Titans returned and the three League members had left, Raven herded her teammates outside after they had eaten a late dinner – Beast Boy had been the only Titan to snack while on the space station.

“What’s up?” Beast Boy asked before anyone else could.

“The League might be on the same side that we are, but they don’t fully trust us, so we shouldn’t fully trust them,” Raven stated. “I think we need to really go over the tower, the ship, and the t-car for bugs.”

“I’ve already started going over the computers and communicator systems,” Cyborg added.

“Good. As Raven said, we might be all on the same side, but we have to be cautious,” Robin agreed. “Anything else?”

“I tried my old Doom Patrol communicator, and couldn’t get any sort of answer,” Beast Boy said. “Cy, could you take a look at it? I’m getting sort of worried about them.”

“Not a problem.”

*
Sign up to rate and review this story