Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > To the End of the World . . . and After

the First Exchange

by DrT 2 reviews

Raven exchanges messages with home, and the results.

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Beast Boy,Cyborg,Raven - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2016-06-27 - 3303 words - Complete

1Insightful
To the End of the World . . . and After
A Teen Titans fic, by DrT

*

Chapter 11 – the First Exchange

Raven exchanges messages with home, and the results.

*

June 10, 1921

“The Lady is still restless,” the acolyte told his Master as the old man entered his receiving chamber and then sat awaiting his morning tea. “The Upasika who was with her last evening” (a Buddhist woman under lesser vows than an ordained one, sometimes an attendant to the ordained) “said she was most restless.”

Sonam merely nodded. The acolyte waited a moment, hoping for an explanation of such unusual behavior in one he respected so highly. When the Master said nothing further, he bowed and left. Almost instantly, a novice entered with a tea cup. “Master, Ajahn wishes to speak with you.”

“If she is present, let her join me for tea.” Seeing the boy hesitate, Sonam asked, “Something troubles you, young one?”

“Master, is the Lady . . . unwell?”

Sonam allowed himself a slight smile. After all these months, Raven still did not see how much compassion and even affection she inspired. Interest and respect, those she believed she could earn, but not the softer emotions. “There are some situations where even those with the will, training, and strength of the Lady Raven give way enough to show a hint of her anxiety and hope. I am sure Ajahn has come to share a concern akin to yours. Now, be off for your lessons.”

“Thank you, Master.”

*

Two men stood near the little Guardian of Oa. The Guardian turned to the shorter of the two. “All signs indicate that your message will at least go through.” He cocked his head. “This gives you no relief from your distress?”

“As much as I want this exchange, I’d trade it for a guarantee she’d be coming home in fifteen months,” Garfield retorted.

“There are few guarantees, but I understand your point of view,” the being replied blandly. “We have set out all ten of the envelopes, placed short distances apart so that we can see how well the dimensions match up. How quickly each disappears, presuming all do, will tell us the chances of success in the future. Raven should be able to follow the chart we supplied everyone to add to their envelopes. If she can accurately time the exchanges, she will have a close estimate as to her chances.”

*

Ajahn was the head of the women associated with Sonam’s group. Whereas the men numbered 63 monks of various types and 33 attendants, the women numbered only 21 nuns and 27 attendants, not counting Raven. She came into his room and bowed. With a very slight smile and gesture from the master, Ajahn sat across from Sonam and they awaited their tea.

“And how is Raven this morning?”

“Nervous and impatient. She has asked to be left alone until this evening, and that you would explain.” A slight hint of reproof colored her voice. “The Lady seemed a bit surprised you had not explained.”

“You know Raven is not truly of this world?”

“As difficult as it might be to believe she is not from some higher plain of existence, I do accept she is from a parallel world,” Ajahn admitted. “I know she hopes someday to return to it, but that the way could be . . . difficult.”

“Very much so,” Sonam agreed. “Our dimensions rarely come close enough together to allow one even of her power to attempt it. However, at some point, between a few minutes from now and a few hours, they will nearly do so.”

Seeing the conflicting emotions on Ajahn’s face, Sonam hurriedly explained, “No, she is not trying to leave today. The soonest she could attempt to leave is in fifteen months. Somehow, and I admit I do not fully understand how this would work, while close enough to exchange some things, they are not close enough to allow her to attempt to leave safely. She somehow charmed large envelopes before she left, and she left them with five who were close to her. Although sharing no blood, or even being of the same peoples, she described them as her elder brother, her true sister, her mate,” Ajahn’s eyebrows lifted at that,” and their common friend and leader. Their envelopes will exchange with ones she has prepared for them to receive. Somehow, she was able to exchange emotional greetings just after the winter solstice, but this will be a much more detailed exchange of information. The ease of the exchange will also give some indication if the dimensions will be close enough for her to try and leave next year.”

“I admit to surprise at many of these things, including that she is partnered.”

“That partnership was left unconsummated, and remember, not only is she young, but her powers required her to learn discipline that even those at our levels might envy, if those at our levels still envied anything. No, in her heart she yearns for the completion of the bond, and I believe, despite her restlessness, her control is still greater than any I have seen. It appears less than complete because her feelings are so great.”

Ajahn nodded her understanding.

Suddenly, Sonam stiffened.

“Master?” Ajahn asked. She was about to summon aid when she felt it – power, raw power, stronger than what she had felt fifteen months before, if only because the center was so much closer.

After less than a minute, the event was over. However, as the power faded, for a brief moment, an emotion was felt – relief.

*

“Number one is gone . . . two, three, and four . . . . six, five, seven, eight . . . nine and ten. All ten have been exchanged, and in less than eight seconds. Excellent.”

*

The Seeker still sought the Alien. In his dingy single room in the East End of London, he sat up and simply said, “India? No, northern India.” He laid down, content. He would book passage to India in the morning.

*

“Were one or two of the envelopes out of order?” Victor asked.

“It appeared so at first, but the instruments indicated the left in the correct order. While not a perfect exchange, it would appear as if there is an eight-seven to ninety-six percent chance she can come through next year, and a ninety-nine percent chance she will be returned at some point. We will inform you if this interpretation changes, for good or ill.” The Guardian gestured. “All ten came through with no problem. Your envelopes will be delivered to your quarters. We will deliver the other two.” The remaining six envelopes only held identical copies of the charts provided by the Lanterns and similar information, the number used mostly for assessment purposes.

*

Raven quickly discarded the six envelopes from the Guardians after glancing at the charts provided. Assuming she had timed the envelope exchanges correctly, she would be attempting the transfer in fifteen months. She hesitated, and then opened ‘Robin’s’. As she expected, it would turn out to be the shortest. It was a straightforward account of his activities, as he and Starfire had started their training. There were also brief accounts of where the human populations had been settled.

She next opened Starfire’s much more emotive letter, and then Cyborg’s. She was comforted by their sentiments, and she was glad that both Victor and Garfield had integrated so well with the space station. After a moment’s hesitation, she opened the one she wanted to read most. She knew that the Seeker would have detected the exchange, and would be coming for her. Still, she had gauged that he was somewhere in northwestern Europe, almost certainly still in southeastern England. Dealing with him could wait until he came closer.

Garfield’s letter was hand-written, which made it difficult to read, as he did so little writing in longhand, but the first sentence, standing alone at the top of the page, was simply, “I love you with all my heart, Raven,” and then repeated those sentiments in detail before going on to express details of his life on the station.

Throughout the compound, those who were sensitives could feel echoes of her happiness.

*

“Calm down, Green Bean,” Victor commanded.

“Why should I be calm? Raven might be here in fifteen months!”

“I know, and I’m happy for both of you,” his friend agreed. “But you two will have been separated for over two years. You will need to get to know each other again, not rush off and get married.” Garfield’s smile mostly disappeared. “On top of that, Raven will’ve been leading her life in the 1920s, and even though Richard and I sent her some information on how things are now, it will take her some time to adjust to the technology, not to mention finding her way to the way things work in our new society. It took me and Richard over a year to fully adjust, and while, no offense, she was a bit more tech-savvy that you when she left, you’re still finding your way in how to use everything.”

“True,” Garfield admitted. He had been lucky to have his general maintenance job; he really had not been qualified for it. If he had not been waiting for Raven to return near here from that alternate dimension, he would have likely have been placed in the general population resettlement program.

“Raven will be allowed to stay here for up to four months to adjust, by then the two of you will have to have decided where you want to go, and how you’re going to make a living.” Victor did not add ‘if you two are still together.’

“I know I don’t make much here, but I have enough certifications now that I can get some sort of decent job anywhere, assuming no one wants me for my powers. As for Raven, while the jewels she has can be grown on most worlds now, remember she is planning on exchanging those for a fair amount of gold and other stuff that can’t be easily made,” Garfield pointed out. “I don’t know how many gems she took with her, but I understand it was quite a lot. She’ll be able to live off what she has if she manages to trade in most of them.”

“True,” Victor had to agree. Most of the readily available rare metals had been bought up before the destruction of the Earth, and Raven had gotten a fair share, stored in one of the shrunken trunks she had left with Garfield. The rest had simply been taken at the end, and used to help pay for resettlement. She had, however, taken a large number of high quality gems in the last few days before the end for her own use.

Garfield held up his envelope. “Don’t worry. Unless Raven insists on it as soon as she gets back, which I doubt, we won’t get married until we’re ready. Now, I have the day off, and I want to read what she had to say even more than you do.”

Victor smiled. “I understand, Gar. Go read your love letter.”

*

Those around Raven were a bit surprised and pleased at her mood the first few days after the letter exchange. These feelings were tempered by the growing realization that she might be leaving them in fifteen months. Her participation their spiritual and mystical exercises had helped them all grow, and they appreciated that she was learning as much from them as they were from her. Many of the group had even added some of the physical exercises, in a sense an Azarian version of Tai Chi, which she practiced to help them gain a different but complimentary control over their physical selves.

Of course, Raven did other physical exercises that they were mostly unaware of. She did not know what kind of life she might lead should she return to her home universe, but after her years with Titans she did not exclude the possibility of joining an organization similar to the ones Bumblebee, Richard and Starfire had joined. Reestablishing and hopefully completing her bonding with Garfield would be her most important task, but the pair would need to make a living.

For eight days, Raven was at her most content, perhaps for the first time in her life. The previous fifteen months had given her the emotional distance which, along with her meditations, sessions, and lessons with Sonam and some of the others, allowed her to completely work through her past. Her upbringing and her links with Trigon had left a great deal of emotional issues to work through, as had some of things she had seen and done as a Titan. The end of Earth, her roles in that end, and her separation from her adopted family had added issues nearly equal those she had concerning Trigon. That she had actually summoned her father to aid in the end of Earth had of course merely linked all her issues together. That the group centered on Sonam had accepted her so readily and completely had allowed her to concentrate on resolving those issues as much as such issues could be. While she still planned on exchanging as many of the jewels she had brought with her into precious metals as was reasonably possible, she decided that instead of transporting any remaining gems she would donate at least some of them to the group if she was able to leave.

Having reached this centering, Raven was not pleased to realize that the hunter had finally left Britain. From his rate of travel, he was aboard a ship. If it turned out he was traveling to find her – he had likely sensed the exchange and so at least had a general location for her – she would, reluctantly, have to do something about it.

*

“What’s wrong, Gar?” Victor had found his friend just staring out one of the many windows into deep space. “Something Raven wrote?”

After a moment’s silence, Garfield replied without turning around. “No, what she wrote was pretty wonderful. It was something else the Guardians left.”

“What was that?”

“Offers for what we could do once she gets back. Besides the resettlement options all the . . . survivors have I mean.”

“And?”

“There are really only twelve we have together, if we want into the different programs like Karen, Richard and Kori went into. I don’t know if either of us would want to keep that up, and I really don’t see us going into any of the basic resettlements either.”

“Oh.”

I do have six other options besides staying here, but they’re all for me entering into research projects basically to be studied, which I don’t want to, and there wouldn’t be anything for Raven unless she would want to study at the institutes, which I don’t think she would want to do either.”

“That’s rough.”

“On the other hand, Raven has over two hundred offers.”

That Raven would have options of her own didn’t surprise Victor, that there were so many, however, did. “That’s a lot.”

Garfield nodded. “I don’t want to stand in her way, but there are a lot of them I wouldn’t be welcome at. Not that I think she would want to go to some of those.”

“Just some?”

“She is welcome on the new Paradise Island, for one.”

“No, I don’t see her wanting to become an Amazon,” Victor agreed. “Still, there might be more on offer by then.”

“Maybe. I also have to talk with Commander Shiatari and Captain Jones sometime soon.” Jones was the human in charge of the station, while Shiatari was an alien in charge of the solar system’s security.

“Why is that?”

“Raven reminded me that her powers might be in flux for some time after she gets back. They’ve left all those secured cells in place, just in case we have to hold some powerful aliens before they are transferred for prison or trial. We’ll need one prepared as some sort of room for her to adjust in, so she doesn’t damage the station.”

“We haven’t had to use one yet; so hopefully there won’t be a problem.”

“I suppose so.”

Victor put his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Cheer up. Things will work out.”

“I hope so.”

*

June 20, 1921

Sonam had delved deeply into the mystical world; he had years, decades even, of experience in understanding himself and the world around him. His discipline over his mind and body was as close to absolute as a human’s could be.

Yet this morning, he was surprised.

Raven often met with him, and he appreciated her gifts and her soul. In some ways, he was her master, as she was studying with his group, but in most ways, he considered her his equal, and even his superior when it came to applications of the mystical arts. Yet this day, when she came to him, she had supplicated before him as if she were an errant novice, and that had surprised him, and even, he had to admit (for he was well able to admit his weaknesses) worried and shocked him.

“Daughter?” he asked. Generally, he addressed her by name, but he realized she now needed someone she could submit a problem to. He just hoped it was a problem he could help her with. “What troubles you so?”

“The Demon Hunter has left London and is on his way here, Master.”

“Ah.” That would be a concern, especially considering the title she gave the man. “And yet, you are no demon, my daughter.”

“If he did not believe it at least possible that I was a full demon, I do not think he would be coming. And, as much as we may wish to ignore the fact, I am demon-spawned.”

“I see. Please sit up, child. No matter how you feel, you are not a novice. Do you fear him?”

Raven sat back on her heels. “No.”

“Just ‘no’?”

“In the sense I believe you mean, he presents no physical threat to me. On my world, I could not have tracked him, but on this world, he will always stand out like a bright electric light on a cloudy night in a field where there are little candles. I do not fear him as a threat to my well-being, although he could be if I am not careful. I fear what I may have to do to stop him from being a threat, a threat to my leaving or even as a threat to you.”

“I do not fully understand.”

“If he tries to kill me, I will have stop him.”

“Ah.” Sonam had not considered that. “Do you intend to confront him?”

“I do not see any way of dissuading him without meeting him,” Raven pointed out. “It is possible that he does not have a precise enough location to find me, but perhaps it would be best to meet with him as far from here as possible.”

Sonam almost frown in concentration, but then asked, “If I recall, you have the power to travel through your powers here as we do in some of the mystical realms?”

Raven nodded. “I would travel by train to Bombay, transport myself to him, meet with him, and transport back to Bombay. I can insure that he cannot easily trace me from there to here, but it would not be impossible for him to do so.”

Sonam nodded. “Let us meditate on this for two days and see if we can find as many alternatives as possible, to insure that the . . . meeting ends well.”

Raven nodded her agreement.
Sign up to rate and review this story