Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Last of the Black

The Curious Case of Arcturus Black

by Snagret 0 reviews

1 chapter

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Draco,Dumbledore,Hermione,Snape - Published: 2016-07-10 - Updated: 2016-07-13 - 1814 words

0Unrated
Chapter 1. The curious case of Arcturus Black




— Great. Six years of searching were a waste. Just imagine – this is a girl! A gi-rl! What’s an absurd!
You are not especially strongly surprised by a speaking dog in five. But when a big, shaggy animal comes close to you in desert dark park and starts to lecture for the fact that you are a girl – at least it strains. However, I was so terrified then by point that I have been lost, so claims from dogs’ side were just an addition to my moneybox of despair.
I do not know even what was I thinking about at that moment, but I used my so much loved method. It always worked on passerby, and me, five-year-old, then hasn't come to mind that dogs — quite another case. However, for girl of my age I was extremely bright.
I have flopped on my butt and have burst out crying. Loudly and inconsolably.
— Great, — commented the dog and took a seat nearby. With a skeptical muzzle, he has begun to look at my sobbing, and already at that moment, I have understood that he won't get such tricks.
I have quickly realized that nobody is going to feel sorry and rescue me so I have become silent.
— Well. If these degenerates didn’t left me any choice, and you are the only successor, then I will present myself. I am Arcturus Black.

So that is how my acquaintance with Black grandpa started.

To be precise I should say that Arcturus was my grand-grand-grandfather. He made a lot of children and named them in his honor, and died in age of a little bit more than sixty years. But his soul, excessively anxious with destiny of a sort, it didn’t calm down. Still during lifetime he has sworn an oath to glorify Black family through centuries — that, by the way, the quote — and therefore he remained on transitory earth to look after his descendants. And here, when the last hope for a reproduction, Regulus Blek, has tragically died, the spirit of the old man has risen from an illusive coma and has moved off in searches of the successor. During his life he was an cool animag, and for some incredible reason he got appearance of the dog, which wasn’t common for ghosts.

— Generally, it is typical for the most powerful thoroughbred magicians, — noticed grandpa, looking to my notebook. I have covered it with a palm.

— Don't disturb me! You complained that Blacks have thrown the family chronicle!

— Is this chronicle?! — The dog has bristled up. — Don't dishonor a family name! What is written here — more than sixty? Fifty-eight! Give the pen!
He tried to snatch out my pen with his teeth, but I have evaded and have pushed him off from the bed under grumbling "nothing respectful" and "the ill-bred little girl". I have read written again and thrown the notebook on the floor. Yeah, it is really hogwash.
Gravel has rustled, and the car approached the house. The engine was switched off, and in a minute, the call trill was heard below. Windows of my room came to other side of the house, and therefore I didn't know who has come on a visit. But I guessed.

— Good afternoon, mam, it’s police.

I was on legs after half of a second. I have quickly twisted a notebook in a tubule, grabbed a jacket and opened a window.

Ha-ha-ha!
And now let’s imagine that we fly.

I’m not afraid to jump from the second floor. I learned that in the first year after moving from closet to cool room upstairs. Children learn fast. But successors of the Black sort – even faster.

Arc landed in the nearby. He didn’t like this name, but he didn’t like to be named “grandpa” more. We have silently slipped through bushes and were that.

— I said that it was imprudent!

I smiled and stole long crackling loaf from bag of my neighbor. Oh yes, I learned that fast as well.

We came to park and I gave half of the loaf to Arc.

There have passed six years from the date of when Arc has found me in the park alone - frightened and lost. I have got lost. And that happened to me because I have run away from home. Yes, I was five, and I have run away from home, cheerfully, true?

But really there was nothing so cheerful. I broke up half of the kitchen when my cousin Dudley poured out boiled water on my leg. I just started to yell because of pain and suddenly the glassware began to blow up. We were there together and when Vernon came - the Dudleys’ father — Arc forbade to call him the uncle, rejecting relationship with maggls — the cousin was all cut with splinters, and on me except a burn, there was no even a scratch. And when Vernon began to hit my face, I felt devilishly uncomfortably. That’s why I have run away.

Then I was living in an abandoned hotel for a week. I had enough fortune because a lot of children that were from dysfunctional families were living there. They were older than me and from the beginning wanted to expel me, but then realized that I haven’t lived better than them. Firstly Arc frightened them, when didn’t let them come closer to me, and then they even listened to me and let me stay. They even gave me blanket and food. So that is how I got new friends - first friends in my life. Since that time we meet periodically and have troubles together.

— Write it word for word – every week. - The grandpa interfered peevishly.

I wanted to object, but after thinking I managed not to do it. And wrote what he said.

Then there was an interesting story with agencies of guardianship. I came to police and told that I was lost. Arc ordered to behave the same as with him at the first meeting. I smeared tears on cheeks and answered all questions of the uncle police officer with naivety of the dear child. Adding juicy details about life in a closet, housework and constant feeling of hunger.

— Phantom hunger still pursues you — Arc Told and scratched behind his ear.

— Just don’t do it, ok? You ate you half of loaf, though you are the ghost!
Arc wanted me to return to Dursles house on more favorable conditions. At least I would get a shelter. But I could run away from it. Arc was very cunning dog.

— All right, all right, I’ll cross it out. – and I crossed last words out, when the teeth clicked over an ear.

We did it. In passionate desire to hide shameful rumors about niece abuse, Dursley’s certified agencies of guardianship about the good attitude and let me move to the room above. And even allowed the grandpa to lodge with me — in exchange for the promise not to tell bad things to uncles police officers and aunties from agencies of guardianship who often came to know now how am I living.

In general, when we have returned to Dursleys, absolutely another life has begun. Now with me there was grandpa who, though he was a dog cared for me in his own way and I had friends from the street. Also there was something still. Magic.
It was wonderful opening. Missing piece of a puzzle. All my life was filled with sense. And though I was only five and it has been loudly told — but so it was. Nothing ever made me such happy as training of magic.

Grandpa had a full house filled by books about wizardry. It was also my house, but I was bastardy, moreover - I carried a surname of another sort, and therefore couldn't get inside the house. Grandpa told that as soon as my force will be in the natural peak that occurs on the eleventh birthday — not without reason children are taken in magic schools from this age — I will be able to see the house and get inside. For now, Arc periodically vanished for several days to arrive home and drag me new books.

When in my pockets there was money acquired not absolutely by fair means with my friends, I could buy tickets for the bus and go with Arc. In a backpack could be put much more books, than in the grandpa's mouth.
The more books I studied, the more wanted to know. And even stronger I wanted to test everything in practice. Arc refused to get a wand. According to his age-old theory children until eleven years can't use wand with not to weaken natural abilities of magic. But he strongly encouraged me to develop the intuitive magic abilities. Grandpa could conjure without wand during lifetime — for old magicians it was norm to overcome themselves and learn it.

— Now hothouse children learn nothing in these allegedly schools — agreed Arc, beginning the favorite subject. — Presently everyone has been obliged to be able to create about twenty different witchcraft without using anything, except own gift!

First of all I learned to jump from the second floor — otherwise night walks with friends would be impossible. Then, of course, the bar has been cleared above — now I can jump off from the fourth floor though it is frightening.

— Though you have also dislocated an anklebone a month ago — Arc reminded caustically.

For reading those nights that I wasn't unsteady around the city I learned to cause light sphere. At first, it rushed over the room and went out in five seconds, but now burns for hours. Also I learned silent walking that was especially difficult, and “magic fingers”.

— You learned to steal from bags, but better don't write it — grandpa has noticed.

From the very first day I try to learn speed. In a fight speed is very important, but I cannot move quickly though it gets better with time. Especially after Sam dragged all of us to the hall of martial arts three years ago.

— You can distract attention — helped Arc.

Still I can make others look away.

— And therefore sometimes you sleep at lessons.

And therefore sometimes I sleep at lessons, but the teacher doesn't notice.

— And lovely ladies don't notice too how you pull out their purses. Don't write it.

— Not so often I pull out someone's purses — I have waved away. I need money only for the most necessary. Chocolates, for example. Sneakers. The ticket to London.

I thumbed pages of a notebook and have pulled out the letter put between them from dense parchment.

"Dear Gertrude Potter! We are pleased to inform you that You have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry..."

— Here is the reason of melancholy. — Arc commented.
Sign up to rate and review this story