Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Last of the Black

You Will Meet a Mysterious Stranger

by Snagret 1 review

2 chapter

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Dumbledore,Petunia Dursley,Snape - Published: 2016-07-13 - Updated: 2016-07-13 - 1746 words

0Unrated
— Why cannot we go shopping by ourselves? — I cried again. — We’ve been to Diagon Alley a hundred of times!
And as I counted, we had enough money.
— Because that rascal, Dumbledore, doesn't know that you're not alone, so he will send somebody.
I learned from my first days with grandpa, that I should not trust that rascal Dumbledore. Dumbledore locked up Sirius Black even though Sirius was banned from the family. Maybe Sirius was my father, grandpa thought about Regulus though - however, it was all guesses. That rascal Dumbledore let my alleged parents die. Actually, Lily Potter was most likely my real mother, judging by our similarities, but I got black hair from the Black family.
To finish, Dumbledore had given me up to be educated by some sadists-muggles.
— If he is such a rascal, then he will know that you are an uncommon dog. Moreover, he won’t let me take you to Hogwarts. Dogs are not allowed if we entrust the list; - I said pointing at the dirty list.
— Firstly, he will not understand that it's me. Just Black can understand that I’m uncommon dog — grandpa began to explain patiently. I rolled my eyes. I just wanted to make him angry, and now I knew that I should listen to his lecture.
— Secondly, he won’t be able to do anything about it and his doubts won't get him anywhere. If he asks questions or objects, you will act surprised, maybe shed a tear. The main point is that you do not forget to put on your pendent.
That will keep my thoughts safe. Supposedly, I found it in Lily’s things that don’t exist in nature – or at least, in the Dursley’s house.
— And stop worrying.
— It is said here that I need to send an owl before the thirty first of July – And it is tomorrow! — I cried.
Meeting with an unknown magician was frightening. Especially since I had something to hide from him. I also got used to suppress my fear, but the meeting truly was frightening.

— Tomorrow is your birthday. Your power will awaken and shortly after you will be able to walk through the Diagon Alley, we will also go to the Black’s house, — the dog said dreamily. I had waited for this day impatiently as well.

— Think about it, Greta.

Well, yeah.

I took newspaper cuttings stuck under a parquet board with moving figures. Once a month, Arc and I go to Diagon Alley to grab newspapers. I cut useful articles, and burn the rest in the backyard when Petunia goes shopping. There were old articles as well – making me wonder about the war in which my family died.
But now I was in need of other types of articles. Photos of teachers from different newspapers. I had mini-files for each teacher. And a thick one still filling up about Dumbledore, of course. A little bit thinner – for Severus Snape. Then – for Minerva McGonagall. These three appeared as the most dangerous guys from what looked like a Hogwarts gang.
I put them back with a sigh. It would be shitty if Dumbledore came. Or interesting perhaps. Did he watched me all these years? Arc thinks so. He suspected missis Figg to be spying on us. She was a squib as we found out when we went to her house at night and have rummaged through the rooms. Actually, I rummaged, Arc stayed outside because of her cats.

Interesting, did someone tell Dumbledore about my altercations with the police?

Applying all my abilities to obscurity charms, I laid on a roof and tried to merge with a tile. Grandpa slept under the bush, pretending to be an ordinary dog. He thought it was a stupid idea, and that I’m just a stupid little girl, but I wanted to see Dumbledore’s messenger before she or he saw me. I hoped that Dumbledore would send the forest warden Hagrid to greet me, who was a half-giant. As far as I knew, giants don't shine with intelligence, so half-giants shouldn't be smart either. I could fool him really easy.
Petunia cooked some tasty stuff with meat, and an astounding smell reached out to me from a window under my observation post. I swallowed. In the morning, I had only a snickers bar for breakfast. And even though it was snickers with double nuts, its super-power effect came to an end. One hour more and I would come down to hunger.
I looked at the sun and wondered what time it might be. If I was right, it was around ten.
And of course at that moment, when I stared at the sun, the magician appeared. Cotton was heard, and I understood that he appeared on the lawn tonsured by Vernon in the morning.
I nearly groaned that surely would have blew my cover.
Dumbledore had sent one of the most difficult problems my way.

Ok then, Severus Snape, former henchman of the Dark Lord. Spy. Betrayer. One of the possible culprit for my parents' death, and to summarize, of the sad course my life had taken. He teaches Potions, leads a scheduled life. Clever, cunning, evil. And, judging by some articles in "Potions and life" and "Modern poisons", an extremely boring man.
And he has dirty hair.
He knocked on the door, looking with his tenacious eyes at the bushes and stopping them on grandpa. His shifted eyebrows moved even stronger, but Petunia opened the door.
— S—S— — it seems like she began to stammer. I wanted to look at this more closely, but they would see me if I approached.
— Petunia, — said Snape coldly and poisonously. A vague suspicion crept within me, that they knew each other. Interesting. With simple arithmetic calculations, I counted that Snape was of one age with Lily. Maybe, they used to hang out together and that's how he was introduced to Petunia?
Anyway, I had no time to think about that. Snape came in, and I went to the opposite side of the roof, hung over its edge and jumped into my room. I thought for a moment that I should have trained on this technic — in a few years I will grow up, and it will become more difficult to do such tricks.
— Gertrude! — Petunia began to yell from below.
I smoothed the braid that got disheveled in the wind and spent a little time doing respiratory gymnastics to calm heartbeat. Nervousness, nervousness, it became stronger and stronger.
God, even my thoughts stopped because of nervousness.
— Why is it taking so long?! — Petunia screamed, and this squeal gave no irritation for once but fear instead.
She was afraid of Severus Snape. He stayed in the middle of the room. Petunia has clasped her shoulders with her own hands and looked at a door as if she expected Vernon and Dudley to curiously return from the center at this exact moment.
And then Petunia didn’t expect to see the wizard in her house. Frankly speaking, the Dursleys didn’t know that I received a letter.
— H-hi, — I muttered, stopping far away from Snape. I didn’t like him either.
— Miss Potter, — coldly and even more poisonously said Snape.
Wow! There was so much hatred in that guy!

— Mister – obviously – professor? — I raised my eyebrows, struggling with the desire to recede from a step. Calm down, Greta. Remember how you stood up against a gang of teenagers, a year and a half ago. It was terrible, but you didn't back down. This is only the professor that is here right now.

The memories of the broken rib I got from the meeting with the gang, however, didn't add to my enthusiasm.
— For you – professor Snape.
— Hmm— cool. Ok, shopping then? — I came to take care of this business. Then Petunia tried to say something and opened her mouth. I didn’t want to hear any intrusive questions. Snape grinded his teeth, looking like he was trying to burn a hole through me with his look, but I just shrugged my shoulders and went outside. Arc stood up and came up to me, waving his tail. Ha, he can pretend really well.
— This is Arc. I will take him to school by the way. — I announced, introducing the dog to Snape.
— There are no dogs allowed on the list. And if you didn’t read it carefully… -
I cut his cold bilious voice short:
— I’m afraid that I won’t go to school in this case. It’s time to make your old list anew.

I built up some courage and winked at Snape. My hands were actually becoming cold from his cold stare and my aping had been urged to cover up my nervousness. He opened his mouth to pour over me the next dose of poison, but I didn't allow him to do it:

— Will we go with bus?
— You have another option? - He growled through his clenched teeth.
— I thought you were going to create something cool with magic, - and again I didn't let him start a sentence: - Or we can take a taxi.
Grandpa was saying that conservative wizards don’t know much about muggle’s world. Taking in consideration Snape’s old suit, he was a conservative wizard.
Snape's pale cheekbones turned pink, and I decided that it was probably out of anger. He didn't even answer, he only waved a hand to invite me to follow him. I hesitated but went out on the road. Everything seemed all right, I spotted the yellow shade of a taxi.
I whistled loudly, and Bobbie started the engine.
— Whistle again, young lady, - Bobbie curiously looked at Snape, when grandpa and I took the back sit and Snape took a front one. — When will you learn some manners?
— This year I am being sent to an institution for young ladies, — I talked rubbish. Bobbie understood that I was nervous and interrogatively raised his eyebrows. — Well, everything was still OK — I reassured him.
— Where do we go?
— London, — Snape answered, when I looked at him waiting for the answer... Bobbie is cool, Bobbie is the good fellow, and he guessed that he shouldn't talk too much near Snape. That’s why I love Bobbie.
And just then, I realized that Snape said nothing about the fact that Arc was coming with us. Maybe, I just pissed him off with my speech.
Sign up to rate and review this story