Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

Family Tree

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Misaki grows; Orochimaru tells of her true family history.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Orochimaru - Published: 2016-07-28 - 1561 words

0Unrated
Any hope of rescue was deflating like a balloon. Her stomach was icy cold yet her breath was hot with unshed tears. Her feet didn't want to move.

No matter how much she resisted, her two escorts clung to each of her shoulders in a grip of steel as she was dragged through the dark corridors that should never be seen. Pain and fear were etched into the very walls; she could smell it.

They were leading her so that she could be handed off. To him. His dark form blended in with the very shadows as he stepped forward.

He's here.

His towering figure loomed over her. She would be no match for him.

Oh, yes.

His touch would elicit screams.

She was pathetically helpless when the tears began to fall.

He reached out a hand...





---





The nightmares had materialized out of nowhere, and Misaki's head was heavy as she lifted away from her pillow. from how exhausted she always seemed to be, she blamed her training. In the meantime, she did not want to tell Kabuto, Karin, the pale man, or even Sasuke. It was probably nothing to be concerned about anyway.

Somehow, some way, everything was going to change. Misaki just had to wait for it. That's all she could do.

Thankfully, once outside, the sunshine burned away the darkness that lingered in her sub. It was a surprise to her that Misaki even possessed jutsus at all. they her had been buried deep by her, but Now, her sensei now brought them to the surface. He wasn't loving and supportive, but he was patient. And efficient. was Misaki had to be a rose and cover herself with thorns or she would be crushed underfoot.

Though Kabuto was enjoying this too much and Misaki could barely defend herself. It was if he wanted to hurt her. She had to pump herself up like a fighter.

But, that wasn't who she was. Didn't they understand that?

Misaki watched as Kabuto sprinted across the dirt as light as a dandelion puff. Kabuto smirked as he drew closer. Another attack was imminent.

"Earth style, Hidden Lily," she proclaimed in the nick of time.

The flower sprouted around her form hiding Misaki's form. As petals of violet closed around her, she became one with the plant. If she closed her eyes, the petals could become her shelter. A cozy purple cottage. She would live here if she were able. Meanwhile, outside, she could tell that Kabuto was unimpressed.

"Chakra Scapel!"

He intended to slice her sanctuary to ribbons. Now was the time to use her offensive jutsu.

"Earth Style, Creeping Vine!"

The ivy shot along the ground to strike. It resembled a snake as it crossed the distance with ease. Misaki wrapped it around Kabuto's waist.

Kabuto looked down. "You should wrap it around my neck," he immediately suggested. "Take advantage of every opportunity that battle offers."

Misaki hesitated. She didn't want to kill or seriously hurt anyone, but she was aware that it couldn't be avoided. In essence, she knew that he was right.

"Don't be afraid of your blooming power, Misaki. It's your chakra and it's at your disposal. Nin are instruments of war not preservers of peace."

Still, Misaki only had three jutsus; Kabuto had an arsenal at his disposal. It wasn't a fair training exercise.

She knew that he was taking it easy on her. In a real fight, she would have been destroyed by now. The thought was sobering.

A medical nin contained the power to heal or destroy. How could Kabuto represent both? Which one was he really? However, Misaki already suspected the answer.

The garden suited her best Though Misaki could be tamed, some unknown part of her was was still wild. It was the happiest part of her.

After another afternoon of training had concluded, her next destination was to the shower.

As she undressed, the atmosphere had changed Warily, Misaki stood under the spray of the shower as she spread her shoulder blades wide while the water flowed in rivulets down the contours of her back.

Something was going to change. Misaki just didn't know if she was ready for it.

Misaki wasn't surprised when someone came to her door. Her blonde hair was damp and the white yukata she wore was loose and flimsy. She was too vulnerable.

"Orochimaru-sama would like to see you now you. Kabuto-san too. He claims that it's important. Come with me," the messenger gestured.

Misaki didn't like this. Still, she complied.

Upon entry into the darkly elegant office, her presence was greeted with praise. The pale man looked up.

"Misaki-chan, dear. Kabuto tells me that he is pleased with your progress. Are you pleased as well?"

Misaki hadn't expected the question. She nodded.

"Yes."

Orochimaru eyes gathered an inner fire. Misaki fliched.

"Tell me, child, what is your name? Do you know what it is?"

Misaki wet her lips. "Mori Misaki."

What else could it be? Were they testing her?

"That is not your name," Orochimaru reprimanded. "You are not Mori Misaki."

She collapsed in the chair was news to her. She couldn't even recollect her own name. Perhaps she truly was stupid.

"You see," Orochimaru's voice was as soft as a shaft of moonlight, "you are of the Morino clan. You are actually Morino Misaki."

"Morino Misaki," she said it to herself as if cementing the notion.

Finally, she had family somewhere. There was an actual family and the pale man knew of them. But, if they couldn't remember her what was the point? It was just two letters.

"So...how did I meet you?" she dared to ask.

"You were sick and delirious while wandering around alone near the Village Hidden in the Grass. Even now, you still maln my care There was a tautness to his words that she didn't want to decipher

Maybe she had been an orphan. Who knows what had happened. Had the pale man, o, been her savior? Why hadn't her family saved her? Had they even been looking?

"My parents?" she asked. She couldn't even properly form the question.

Orochimaru propped his chin with his hand. "Probably deceased."

So. They had been tossed away. Dead stalks in the ground. Misaki couldn't even remember their faces.

Misaki had been forgotten. She had always known.

She wanted to inquire how he knew these things know from how much did they know about her something wasn't right. Yet, she didn' she was aware of the shaky ground she trod on.

"The rest of your family reside in the Village Hidden in the Leaves. There is a Ninja Academy there. In time, I'd like you to enroll as a student."

For now, this was home. She didn't want to go anywhere. At the moment, this is who she was. Then again, how safe was it here? The Village Hidden in the Leaves sounded like a nice place. It would be a good place for her...wouldn't it?

"I'll walk you through it. It's easy enough to pretend." Kabuto assured her.

Misaki stiffened. Why would she need to pretend?

"You're not reuniting me with my family?"

"We're your family too. In return for performing this task for me, you will have two homes. One here as a sound nin and a birth family. We all must help one another. You won't be alone any more, Misaki-chan."

How logical he made it sound. He was placating her. Orochimaru's words were like a beast covered in the softest fur or rather the deadliest snake studded with the most stunning scales. Argument could be dangerous.

And Misaki had the impression she had far less options than what she was presented with. Like insects that watched the world go by from the glass confines of their jar. A world that they could never be a part of.

Just as Misaki clarity was being restored, it was being broken again.

"Don't worry. Others will be sure to find that innocent and special blend known as Misaki appealing."

She noticed that Kabuto was hanging over her closet than he should be. Misaki held her breath.

"You will be my eyes and ears. As you discover, so will I," Orochimaru put in.

A spy. They want me to be a spy.

Misaki doubted that she could pass for one. Real ninjas with far more experience than she could see through any deception. Did she have to take on a false persona to move to the Hidden Leaf?

Of course, the answer was right in front of her. They didn't want to let her go.

However, what Misaki really wanted to know was one thing.

"Who is my family in the Hidden Leaf Village?

"One man. He is a instructor at the Ninja Academy. Kabuto was there for a short time."

"It's a rather primitive place," Kabuto sniffed. "Not challenging enough for me. You have received a better education here, Misaki-chan."

Things were happening too fast. In fact, she couldn't keep up. Typical.

"What is the man's name?"

It would be the first piece in the puzzle of who she was.

Orochimaru's eyes held hers. "Morino Ibiki."

So, she wasn't just a seed lost in the grass. She had roots. Still, Misaki didn't feel a heartbeat.

She was still just a lone seed indeed, but now there was opportunity to grow.
Sign up to rate and review this story