Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

Sharp Thorns

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Misaki is triggered by Danzo; Tobi forms a sudden plan.

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Obito - Published: 2016-09-21 - 1836 words

0Unrated
Misaki had to remind herself in the days ahead that she had wings now. She was no longer bound to the earth now with her new wind chakra. But, as far as she knew, flowers couldn't grow in the sky. They could only grow high and observe the brilliant blue from afar.

Simply put, she was out of her element.

Her new chakra was in the very air she breathed. It conspired in her lungs and as a result they ached and burned. Ibiki encouraged her to try new jutsus on her own even in spite of how much she protested. The sky was too lofty for her. All she wanted to do was reach her roots, but she couldn't even reach herself.

Misaki wondered if she would she have to change. She hoped that she wouldn't.

As the hours turned into days, Misaki became strangely even more discouraged and downcast. To her surprise, Hinata and Kiba took pity on her and took her out at the Korean barbecue from before called Yakiniku Q. Shino was conspicuously absent, and Misaki bitterly reflected on the reason why. Though it made Misaki giggle how Kiba wouldn't leave Akamaru outside and complained until the white dog was seated at table. Hinata wore a bemused expression that suggested that she had seen this too many times before. Akamaru whined and begged until all three were offering him grilled meat.

It made her smile. It made her feel alive.

In spite of this short reprieve, she should have known that she was running out of time. So, she was already in a vulnerable moment when she met him.

Misaki guessed that he was important were when Ibiki stopped in his tracks and stiffened at attention.

The man's face was old and drawn. Bandages completely wrapped around his right eye and his right side. He walked with a cane.

Misaki blinked. "Who is he?"

"That is Danzo-sama. He is head of the Konoha council and the founder of ROOT," Ibiki whispered in answer.

"What's ROOT?"

"Ah, I'll...explain later."

The elderly man was walking right towards them. It was too late to jump out of the way or become a wallflower for her or Ibiki.

Should she panic? No. That would not help. He was a new person, and she had to properly meet him.

"Good morning, Danzo-sama," Ibiki greeted.

Danzo nodded to him. "Same to you." The older man's gaze panned over her routinely. "This is?"

"My niece apparently. Have you heard about her? Her name is Misaki. Morino Misaki."

"Hello, Danzo-sama." She respectfully bowed to him.

Misaki could feel herself begin to wilt under his stare, and she wondered what was behind the bandage. Perhaps nothing but an empty socket. An old war injury?

"Yes," he inspected her thoroughly. "She has turned into a polite and reasonable girl..."

Misaki allowed herself to breathe easy. She silently chided herself that she shouldn't judge someone on how they looked. Hell, she came from the Otogakure.

"...though she is still utterly weak and worthless."

She hadn't expected that. That wasn't fair. No matter how much the comment rang true. It was as if Danzo could strip away the lies and see who she really was.

At the look on her face, a grim smirk formed on his own as he departed. To her, It was as devastating and pointless of throwing a bomb and scurrying away.

As she stood, something shifted inside and pushed itself to the surface like a sharp thorn. Violent anger seized her then. The seeds of rage had just sprouted to life. Weeds were popping up all over her garden. She well knew that she was worthless. She proved it to herself and others every damned day.

Yes, Danzo-bastard. If only you knew who I worked for...

If only he knew of Orochimaru. A powerful shinobi who believed in her and even gave her this assignment. Ninjas who proved themselves to be Genin could be assigned to missions and only D-ranked ones at that. This was what? A B-rank? An A?

Misaki shouldn't care what these people thought. The Otogakure was still her home and that was the place she would return to at the end of her her mission. Hopefully.

The dark rage continued to sear through her. Misaki wondered if she becoming toxic. Or perhaps the poison had always been there. As lethal and permanent as a snake bite.

Then, Misaki remembered that her uncle was present. He wouldn't tolerate that.

"Steady, Misaki," Ibiki advised her as he watched her reaction. "Danzo is unpleasant to eveyone."

The rage stopped. Misaki was confused.

"I didn't know," she replied mildly.

Ibiki hadn't even defended her. Some uncle. But, should Misaki be judging?

"I don't trust him." Ibiki watched him as he walked away.

She suddenly shivered at the look in Ibiki's eyes. Misaki never wanted to be the target of Ibiki's glare.

Her uncle was for lack of a better term "a scary man." At times, Misaki wondered how they could be related. Perhaps she had took after her mother. Misaki wished that she could remember her name.

Well, there was no help for it. Old people made her nervous, especially the elderly. Ibiki was thirty. Not too old and not too young. Misaki would be twenty next year or the year after that. She didn't know her own birthday. Yet, there remained a dim memory of late summer before the leaves turned red and orange.

Misaki wondered how she would live until then.

She couldn't fool everyone forever...





---





The clouds about her were gloomy gray just like her mood. Low and swollen with rain, they nearly brushed the tree tops just like her mood.

A gust of wind ripped through the golden sheet of her hair, She couldn't see what was in front of her. On the surface, she was like the sun, but inside dwelled a shadow. Her appearance was misleading to most.

She wondered if Kabuto like the way she looked. What he saw?

A slip of a girl? A spy? An outsider?

She didn't have to wait long until Kabuto approached.

Misaki had no idea how to approach him. The memory of his lips on hers were still vivid. She wondered if it would be that way for him too would. Would Kabuto be awkward?

Before she could even utter a word, Kabuto held up a vertical halting hand.

"Don't bother giving me a report. I already know you came empty handed."

Kabuto walked right up to her. Close enough to touch. Still, Kabuto seemed more somber than annoyed.

"Orochimaru-sama is ill, and he will take some time to recover.," Kabuto explained. "You'll be on your own for a while."

Misaki was frantic. "But what do I do until then?"

"Are you dense? Gather information. What else? Don't you have anything for me?"

Misaki decided to say the first suspicious topic that bloomed in her mind. "Danzo is the head of the Konoha council. He has one eye covered and walks with a cane."

There. She had reported something. Misaki left out that he wasn't nice to her wouldn't be important

Misaki's nails were bit into her skin due to holding them together so hard.

Kabuto rolled his eyes up to the turbulent sky. "Everybody knows what Danzo looks like and who he is. Why do I bother asking you anything?"

Misaki gazed up at the clouds as well. She wished that she and Kabuto could look up at them together when the sun was shining. Or the moon. Kabuto would probably prefer the moon. The dark to her light.

Still, all Misaki had in reality was an unrequited crush that would lead her heart to ruin.

Misaki wondered if he would kiss her again. It might make her feel better.

She also noticed that he wasn't playful like before. Kabuto was distracted now. Which was understandable.

"I have to go. I'm in a hurry. I have to return to Orochimaru-sama."

"What exactly is wrong with Orochimaru-sama?" Misaki dared to press.

"He's gravely ill," he repeated. "I need to return to him." Kabuto checked over his shoulder to confirm that he wasn't being followed.

Could the pale man die? Where would that leave her? Would she be stranded in the Leaf? For how long?

Yet, wasn't that what she had always wanted? Misaki was no longer sure.

Of one thing was certain. The moment she and Kabuto shared hadn't even existed for him.

How could she be so stupid?

More and more, the others were treating her like she was transparent or something they could mold into a new shape. Misaki didn't even know what her genuine shape was.

Yes. Maybe the Otogakure had been more accepting. But, she couldn't return there now. And she would have to leave Ino, Sakura, and Ibiki behind. Naruto too.

Misaki couldn't even stifle a sob as she stumbled out of the forest clearing to another night in her apartment alone.





---





Misaki wasn't alone. Another knew of her torment. He was so aching close as well. He wondered if she would be relieved if she knew.

Tobi waited until she was out of sight to raise himself to his full height just as fat rain drops collided with the earth.

The masked man had been on his knees in despair; the little medic was always so cruel and the girl was always so hurt.

Tobi should teach that mean medic a lesson one day. He really ought to.

Tobi clamped on both hands sides of his head like a vise. He was overcome. Visions of his past collided in his mind as the rain soaked into his resounded overhead. Obito hated the rain. It was so wet and cold. And lightning made him jump out of his skin, it did.

"Poor girl. Lost little flower."

He knew that the girl was in pain. It was etched her face like deep scratches scored into wood. Mean medic. Nasty.

Tobi well knew the sting of unrequited love. The kunoichi known as Rin was now cold in the ground, and there was no way to bring his rainbow back. Only her perfect memory would remain.

Tobi sometimes wished he and the blonde girl could bond, but it would be too risky. After all, talking never hurt any one until after the conversation ended and Tobi got bored. Tobi-no-Madara couldn't afford to have any evidence left behind should he reveal his true identity and past.

But, Tobi tried to be a good boy. It would only be proper to take her out of this mess and at last put her mind at ease. MIsaki didn't know it, but she had an angel watching over her.

Just as well. Tobi's mind would never rest.

As the leaves overhead quaked in a wind gust, Tobi formulated a plan that he should put it into action as soon as possible.

There. Tobi felt better already. Maybe to would finally be able to sleep tonight...
Sign up to rate and review this story