Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Ghost of a Rose

A Red Gleam

by FenikkusuAi 0 reviews

Misaki is caught.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Obito,Orochimaru - Published: 2016-12-30 - 2454 words

1Ambiance
Misaki was calm. Happy even. She felt so free and accomplished.

Silently, she took in her surroundings.

She immediately recognized the interiors recognized as or castle.

So. She had made it back after all. Maybe she had at last completed her assignment with honors and had tracked down the illusive information. She was now safe and content. She was where she should be. A home.

All of a sudden, she heard soft footsteps approach her.

Anxiety began to uncoil within her.

A hand extended itself in her field of vision and offered a white rose as white as the pale man. As white as a ghost. It was like the ghost of a rose.

Misaki knew that it was rude not to accept a gift especially from this place. Orochimaru often reminded her of gratitude as he had been the one who had found her barely surviving in the dense woods.

Her fingers closed around it, and predictably the thorns cut her into her skin. She hissed in pain.

"I warned you," Orochimaru's voice told her in a quiet tone.



---



Immediately after she woke, she was still pondering what Orochimaru-sama meant. Misaki wondered if she should put more stock into dreams.

What did he want to warn her about? Did something terrible loom on the horizon? Again?

Did the dream denote her death?

However, at this late hour, there were no actions she could take except wait for morning. Secretly, she wished that she wasn't alone in her bed. If only some timely company would arrive and take her mind off...everything.

Every so often, she would glance at the door. He wasn't coming. Not tonight.

Misaki was aware that her hopes were unrealistic. He was concerned with Orochimaru-sama. Orochimaru-sama was their master. She could wait.

Kabuto probably wouldn't show up for quite a while. In spite of herself, Misaki wondered what she would do with herself until then.

The afternoon wasn't any better than the morning. Misaki knew that by the end of the day that she would genuinely fear for her safety and very sanity.

"Watch out, Misaki-chan!" Hinata cried out

A strip as thin and white as a bandage had slithered in front of her. As white as the pale man. As white as a ghost.

As white as that rose.

As white as death?

"A snake?" she asked herself dumbly.

But, what is it doing here?

Misaki could confirm that it was a summon. Why was a summon out here in the open? Wouldn't the Otogakure have more discretion?

Then, it was gone. It erratically skidded off the path and into the brush like an unattended runaway toy.

"It's gone now." Hinata sighed in relief.

Ino shook her head. "That was weird. It's a little cold and dry for snakes."

Misaki wondered if Ino was suspicious of her too now. Misaki was mortified.

Rather than add to the conversation, she crawled again inside her skin even though there would be no relief there.

Misaki did not train with Ibiki and instead went directly home because of the simple reason that she didn't feel like it. It was as if everywhere she walked today a miniature earthquake followed her under her feet. It threatened to pull her under. She didn't need Doton jutsus to mimic that feeling.

Just as well. Misaki was only here in the Hidden Leaf Village by scheming. Mental manipulation with aims as high as the was nothing supporting her feet. She was at the mercy of her environment.

Plants that weren't rooted well didn't survive.

After sunset, Misaki got tired of pacing her apartment and decided to study for the Academy the next day. She had to do something productive with her time.

It was late when Misaki glanced up from her book to fetch a glass of water. It was almost time to get ready for bed.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. An unexpected yet timely knock.

The book slipped from her hands

He's here.

She sighed.

Misaki wasn't surprised when she saw the silver-haired shinobi. The moonlight reflected off the lenses in his glasses.

"Ah, Misaki." His eyes roamed her face.

"What about Orochimaru-sama?" she blurted out. "Is he all right?"

"He's fine. A false alarm. He got lucky."

As usual.

As it turned out, she had just been having an ordinary bad day.

"Did Orochimaru-sama just send you?" Misaki's throat was parched.

"Yes. I've-we've-decided to help you." A gallant smile graced his features.

"With what?"

"Actually obtaining information of course! I'm an experienced spy, and there is actually something you could help me with."

Misaki supposed that she had no choice. Still...

"Wait," Misaki ordered.

"Why?"

"I'm thirsty."

Kabuto was mystified yet patient as he watched her drink her water. Misaki didn't know how long she would be gone.

"We might have to stop at a bathroom," he jested.

At least Kabuto was in a good mood.

Maybe she really had been worried for nothing. What awaited her was a night of excitement and danger. What could go wrong?

Kabuto addressed her hesitation.

"I'm with you," Kabuto assured her. "What could happen?"

Outside, the moon was waning. It hid half in shadows while the other half was bathed in a sliver glow. It was on the verge of transformation. The new moon was looming. A new cycle.

"What's the target?" Misaki asked once she had regained her wits.

Kabuto chuckled. "Clever girl, aren't you? They are finally are teaching you something at this place."

Still, Kabuto delayed to give her an answer. Instead, he led her down silent deserted streets and darkened buildings. He was careful not to be spotted. Surreptitiously, he slipped his hand in hers.

Follow the leader.

Misaki knew where they were going. In minutes, they were standing in front of the Ninja Academy.

"In there. The information we need is in there."

Misaki's eyes widened. "I'll be seen. I go to school there."

"Don't be silly. We won't get caught. No one is in there now. We'll get what we need and get out."

Misaki was uneasy. "But...how do we get inside?"

"Like this."

She watched in amazement as Kabuto picked the lock using a jutsu. To her knowledge, the Ninja Academy was impenetrable. Misaki wondered just exactly what jutsus Kabuto knew. Most likely a numerous amount. Some of them obviously forbidden.

"Oh!"

"Shhh!" Kabuto shushed her. "Come on."

Misaki scurried in after Kabuto.

How odd it was with no people around. The two had entered the twilight world of training rooms and classrooms. No one was there except she and Kabuto. No instructors. No students. No laughter. Even the problem students that populated detention had been dismissed hours ago.

Misaki knew that they should not here, and she began to feel her heartbeat accelerate.

"We're close," Kabuto reported. "We need to go to the library. The administrative section to be precise."

"I know where it is," Misaki said.

Kabuto rolled his eyes. "Fine."

It was her turn to be the leader. She was pleased with herself when the wooden doors came into view.

"You did it!" Kabuto whispered. "You're not completely useless, are you?"

Suddenly, Misaki found herself against the wall. One hand snaked down the small of her back before it cupped her rear. Apparently, Kabuto really was overcome with gratitude. Misaki was in paradise, but it was too bright. Too uncertain.

Did she know the way she felt about him?

All of a sudden, Kabuto reached up and seized her hair. "Never cut it."

Misaki's face burned hot. "O-o-okay."

Misaki had always wondered just what Kabuto had wanted to do that day in the examination room. How far he would have gone. She wondered if she would let him now.

As she expected, Kabuto broke away too soon. They had a job to do after all.

Both of them entered the library. The doors swung shut behind them.

"What are we looking for?" Misaki thought to ask.

The sooner they could find it, the quicker they could get away.

"A book of course. Well, a handwritten diary of plans. It should be in a private section..."

"The administrative section?" she parroted.

Kabuto was sheepish "Well, yeah."

Yet, did she really want to this? Misaki knew that critical moment of control was slipping away, but then, Misaki had never had it in the place.

She walked away from Kabuto towards the back of the library so that she could properly scan the bookshelves. He would correct her if she was looking in the wrong place. Kabuto must have been familiar with many libraries.

"Which book is it? What does it look like?" she asked him.

Kabuto didn't answer.

"Kabuto? Am I in the right spot?"

Silence. Misaki began to worry.

"Kabuto?"

She turned back to look at him. He stared back at her.

"Allow me to assist you, Misaki-chan."

Kabuto's eyes gleamed red.

For a precious moment, it was as if time didn't exist.

All of a sudden, she heard running footsteps. A door crashed open. Misaki froze as a rabbit would in the sight of a hungry predator. She wondered if it had been kicked open.

Who was there? Had Kabuto been caught? Had they been caught?

Indeed. ANBU members flooded into the room. Five of them.

This wasn't part of the plan. They had already seen her face.

Terrified, Misaki looked to Kabuto for help and instead discovered a log in his place. It mocked her from when it laid on the floor. She recognized it as a Substitution jutsu. He had tricked her.

She felt so stupid. Kabuto hadn't even been real.

His voice hadn't been real. His lips hadn't been real. His hands...

Misaki wanted to know why. She wanted to scream in confusion and frustration.

At the moment, Misaki had so many regrets she just wanted to wring out of her.

But why? How long had Kabuto had been untrustworthy? Had she displeased the pale man? Was this his way of eliminating her?

"I warned you..."

"Don't move. You are now under arrest by the ANBU under authority of the Fifth Hokage, Senju Tsunade." the ANBU captain recited smoothly

There was no way to fight them. Not with her weak jutsus. She had already been seen. Her hidden lily jutsu wouldn't work here. According to Kabuto and Ibiki, it had never worked anyway.

Obviously, Kabuto had planned this straight from the beginning.

Misaki was too shocked to struggle. She was locked in handcuffs as she was taken into custody. As she was arrested.

It was over. The game of playing spy was over. As well as Konoha resident and a student.

"Your uncle is going to love to hear this," one of the men chuckled in her ear.

Everyone had been secretly waiting for this moment, it seemed. For her to fail.

Misaki was quickly briefed. Her name was recorded and her fingerprints had been taken. She was informed that her answers would be verified later.

So. She might be going to T & I, but first, it was the ANBU's turn.

Shortly, she and the ANBU captain both sat at a table. He wore the mask of an eagle. Miskai wished that she could see his face. Misaki felt small.

"Do you know that man?" the masked man across from her began.

Misaki was taken aback. The interrogation had already begun and she was poorly prepared.

"No," she lied.

"This man." The ANBU member turned to the page in the dreaded Bingo book to a picture of Kabuto.

"I don't know who he is." Misaki's voice broke from the strain.

She was lying. Lying badly. And obviously.

The ANBU member sat back in his chair. Clearly, he wasn't satisfied with her answer.

"Then, why were you following him?"

She could almost hear his smile.

"He promised to help me with something." Misaki fibbed.

The masked ANBU leaned in closer to her. "I'd change your story if I were you sweetheart. I'm warning you. You're a little too..." he clicked his tongue "...delicate to survive here."

How perfectly he echoed the pale man.

She was caught. Instead of being a sprawling wildflower. She was now a potted plant. The vision the image conjured was both funny and sad.

She then realized that she had never been free. Misaki brushed away the wetness leaking from her eyes from the sheer heartbreak of the revelation.

The ANBU asked more questions, and Misaki maintained her innocence. It sapped quite a lot of energy from her. All she really wanted to do was sleep.

Suddenly, the eagle stood up.

"This is going nowhere." He seemed disgusted. Take her to T & I. Let her stew in this cell until morning. It isn't worth Morino-sama waking up for this. The ANBU have done what they can here."

Beside herself, Misaki allowed them to transport her to T & I and push her into the cell. They securely locked the door behind her.

Clang.

The interrogators at T & I were different from the ANBU Black Ops. The two were dressed similarly to Ibiki in their charcoal gray suits and black trench coats. The effect was sinister, but at least one could see their faces.

"Are you even surprised?" one of the interrogators scoffed. "I never believed this story. Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you." The man spread his fingers wide at a very dazed sad girl.

"Well, we can't do anything until the boss arrives. Even though won't even be our shift." Disappointment laced another's voice.

Yes. It was such a shame that they would have to miss out on the mayhem and her torment.

Through the bars, they continued to talk about her outside like she wasn't even there. She had been trapped again. It was deja vu.

She learned that she would be staying the night until her uncle found her in the morning. The plans wasn't spoken to her, but she overheard. Her ears still worked.

Finally, they moved away to leave her to her misery.

Defeated, Misaki slumped on the cot. In one night, she had lost everything. Now, she was in a cell. She had ended up exactly where she had started. Appropriate for whatever sick god who controlled her destiny on this earth.

Misaki ended up in the fetal position. As a child would, she curled up to calm herself. It wasn't working.

She had lasted just over two months. She wondered how long she would stay here. She might even miss the winter. She would miss the glittering snow on pine trees and the red-crowned cranes flocking together over the ice.

Mentally, she calculated what the date was so that she would remember.

It was now October 27.
Sign up to rate and review this story