Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Last of the Black

The Devil's Advocate

by Snagret 0 reviews

Greta meets mysterious advocate

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2016-10-25 - 1703 words

0Unrated
I was spending all days in the house. Fortunately, Dursleys got used to see me at home at 10 o’clock or not seeing me at all – and didn’t pay attention to my absences. I examined Blcks’ stuff for hours. Especially I was interested in life of Regulus and Sirius, but first one died at the age of eighteen and second ran away from home when he was even younger. And one of them could be my father, so I couldn't but be interested in their life. Then I was spending a lot of time in the library. Now I wasn’t limited by grandpa’s censorship and could examine any work I wanted, so first days I was just walking near racks confused by the wide choice.
And of course I was practicing with my new wand. There was a special room for improving such skills. It was located in the cellar and all walls, ceiling and floor were strengthened with special way.
I expected that I could do everything easy – at least I could do something even without my wand, but everything appeared to be much more complicated.
Spells didn’t go well at all or glitched. Nevertheless I learned pair of easy spells in a week. Grandpa tortured me by making me do magic non-verbally. For now, it was just sparking when I tried to do Lumos. I needed to adapt to the wand.
The ritual of dedication came inevitably quickly. The day before date x grandpa has said something incredible:
— I can disappear after the ritual.
To say that I was upset meant to say nothing. I Сказать, что я была расстроена — не сказать ничего. I performed a real hysterics, and declared that I could live without the ritual for hundred years. But Arcturus was relentless. He thought that we should have the ritual now, not a month later.
— When danger for the family will disappear, there will be no need in me. But it doesn’t mean that it will disappear after the ritual.
On the next day when I still was impressed by revelations of previous day, there was another surprise waiting for me.
— What do I need to do? — I asked when we came to the cellar. I was asking that millions of times but grandpa decided to reveal that just before the ritual.
— Nothing special. Cut your palm with the ritual blade, put hands to the Stone of the Family and say some words.
— Which words?
Arc sniffed and let me go to the secret room with Stone of the Family. It was transparent raw stone with size about a fist. It laid at the head of a long stone table in the middle of the room. I I had a late thought that this table is similar to an altar for sacrifices. And crimson spots in cracks of an uneven stone confirmed it.
— Memorize this. Accept me, oh, a glorious Black sort if I am worthy. If I am not, then ruin me.
— Holy shit! — I was indignant.
— Don’t be afraid. The Stone kills just not true successors.
— Holy shit! Maybe I’m not true successor! How can you know? I am bastard!
— You can’t run away! — hound was standing between me and the exit. It seems like if I object to finish the ritual he will definitely kill me.
I hemmed and took a ritual blade. I stood near the stone and interrogatively looked at Arc. He nodded with his shaggy head.
It was not very solemn. Maybe we should have lit candles?
— Do it. Full moon is in dive.
— Fuck you, — I cut my palm and put bloody hand on the Stone. At that moment, it turned red and it seemed like it tasted my blood. Jesus Christ.
— Words. — Arc reminded, standing in thrill of anticipation that looked ridiculously for a dog.
— Accept me, oh, a glorious Black sort if I am worthy. If I am not, then ruin me, — I uttered rapidly.
Really, nothing that solemn.
For a second nothing happened. And then I was absorbed by the Stone.
Farewell, my young life!

The fascinating short film about Black's life since the basis of a sort was impressing with the blood and cruelty. To kill someone after the breakfast was normal. In jail near the ritual room, someone always was groaning. Dark arts were normal. Grandpa Arcturus differed by irrepressible cruelty and rich imagination. There was no life of last two generations in this funny whirlpool of pictures.
— No comments, — I croaked, returning to real world. I was lying on the floor and worrying Arc’s muzzle was hanging over me. Thank Merlin this sadomasochist was still here.
I stood up and touched my head. A cone on the nape became swollen. The scar on the forehead pulsed with burning pain.
— The movie was cut by the way. There was not a word about Regulus.
— Because no one put memories inside. Irresponsible fools!
The hound helped me to go upstairs. Kreacher was waiting in the parlor. He gazed at me with his big eyes and clapped with ears-locators. I fall down on the sofa and put cold hand to the scar.
— Can I command now? — I asked Arc. He nodded and I said to the elf: - Bring me maybe some tea, knock-out.
I wanted a pie with eleven candles but for now, it was fine. Elf didn’t grumble anymore and disappeared in a moment so I decided that I became true Black for sure.
Cool.

There were two weeks left before first September and I was rereading big list of things that we should have finished before that day. With every day, this list was even longer and longer.
I made Kreacher think about reconstruction of the house and there was special list inside the main list for that. Arc wanted to renovate Protective Enchantments, I wanted new wallpapers and electricity, Kreacher wanted to keep family artefacts in safety. After long arguing Arc decided, that we should employ construction crew. The most reliable and confident but at the same time the most expensive was “Vronski and sons” and their office located in Knockturn Alley.
At the same day Kreacher gave me key from family safe and me with granpa were going to visit Gringotts.
Goblins didn’t say anything. In my opinion they didn’t care at all that a little girl came to take money. Everything that they cared about was key and positive reaction of the safe to my blood.
I counted 200 galleons of cash advance for “Vronski and sons”. Then counted big amount for second elf. And another 500 galleons for guy named Haver Stranger. Fellows I wanted to have business with were serious and didn't take checks.
I moved apart a neck of the backpack that I bought two years ago in Diagon Alley and put three heavy bags there. It was expensive purchase, and I was saving money for it for two months, but it was worth it. Capacity is hundred liters, loading capacity is two hundred fifty pounds, and simplification of weight is tenfold. I could put a human there/ and I tried to pile in there for interest. Nothing special.
Vronski had luxurious light office. Everywhere was gold and soft sofas. I wanted to live there which was sign of good advertisement. The elder Vronski suspiciously looked at me but our relationships improved shortly after I gave him advance.
Arc carefully read contract, especially paragraph about confidentiality and we decided to at “place” as Vronski named my house on the following day. I liked Knockturn Alley because when you pay for something, people don’t care about your age and other stuff.
I wanted to go to Black market the most. It was locating in the other part of London and I thought of it as of interesting and dangerous place.
My expectations were right when in first five minutes someone tried to rob me. Arc bit his hand and I stole his wallet becoming richer for 15 sickles.
From that moment, I had less enthusiasm and I started to look around more carefully. Unfortunately, grandpa didn’t let me walk around and we came to dark place where elves were selling. Young Pigly was hte tenth elf we saw and I had enough money for him.
We came back home and I left Pigly with Kreacher and went to dinner to Palace.
I called Haver Stranger from a public telephone. He was unusual advocate - protecting in court the most influential clients of the magic world, he lived in a penthouse in the muggle area, drove the coolest muggle car and put on the newest cloths of muggle fashion. He was the best.

Haver Stranger was surprised when saw a girl.
— Let’s not talk about unimportant stuff, — I offered.
— You introduced yourself as Gertrude Black, Miss Potter, - he noticed. – I like to hear truth from my clients.
— I’m going to change last name in the near future, — I said, trying not to look around. I was in such a gorgeous restaurant for the first time and talked to such serious man for the first time as well. Even Vronski wasn’t so impressive. Haver Stranger was very good if taking into consideration that he recognized me. And my photo never was in wizarding newspapers. — I will double payment if you forgive me this uncertainty and keep my name in secret.
— You are unusual girl, Miss Black, aren’t you? — I understood that he agreed. I don’t know why but I thought that it wasn’t because of money. He was curious.
I shrugged.
— You guessed why do I employ You? — I asked, taking menu.
He didn’t say anything.
— Sirius Black, my godfather is in Askaban. I think no one even tried to unravel his case.
— You know my requirements. If he is guilty, I double the price.
I nodded.
— There is another requirement for which I pay hundred galleons. You should unravel negative part of Albus Dumbldore in this story.
— Publicly? — asked Haver, looking at me with interest.
— Yes, and firstly I want Sirius Black to know about it.
He postponed the menu.
— Two hundred galleons.
Well, I liked Haver Stranger more and more.
Sign up to rate and review this story