Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

DA

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Class begins.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Luna,Ron - Published: 2016-11-14 - 2528 words - Complete

2Insightful
Luna finished planting her flower's over a specific area of the hall before sitting at the Ravenclaw table. Soon the rest of the students were bursting into the room and eating breakfast. Usually Luna was calmly humming a song in her head or reading a copy of the Quibbler but today her eyes were focused on scanning the room. She finally spotted the infamous golden trio and left to sit with them.
Harry was currently oblivious to the world, thinking about his first class being a mere hour away, when he felt someone poking him in the back of the head.
"I think his mind is elsewhere. You know the feeling, right Luna?" Ron joked as he received a glare from his girlfriend.
"I understand you're nervous Harry, but I have something serious to tell you three about Michael Corner," Luna whispered calmly.
Harry snapped back to reality at this. "Wait! What? You know why he's glaring at Hermione...still?" The other three turned to see Michael Corner staring more intently than before.
Luna responded with inhuman speed. "Well he is probably realizing that I'm ratting him out for calling Hermione a Mudblood who has no business being Head girl since he believes Mudbloods are inferior to Purebloods."
When none of them replied still trying to grasp all Luna had said, Luna quoted to them the entire conversation, she had heard, word for word, to make sure they knew where Michael stood.
"BASTARD I'M GOING BREAK HIS..."
"Ron as much as I would enjoy seeing you break Michael's...anything. You do realize that attacking the Head Boy is a perfect way to get expelled," Hermione pointed out logically.
"JUDAS!" Michael Corner was now right at the Gryffindor table seething at Luna.
"For a Muggle hater I'm surprised you know who Judas is Michael. Sounds very..."
"SHUT UP LOONY! ALL THE TIMES I HELPED YOU IN SCHOOL DURING THE CARROW'S REIGN AND YOU CHOOSE THE SIDE OF A MUDBLOOD!"
"That's enough Corner," Harry said standing up trying to hide the anger in his voice. He really wished he wasn't a teacher.
Luna was already responding to Michael. "I saved you as many times as you saved me...actually five times more then you saved me. I also don't appreciate you insulting Muggles and those born of Muggles".
"Yes we know where you stand with Muggles, just like your mother. Extra, Extra, Muggles Rule! Wizards Suck! Was that the gist of it," Michael mocked.
"Muggles are Superior to wizards in every way but magic. You're living proof of it. Muggles have their flaws, they can be quite cruel actually, but they have gone to great lengths to change their ways for the better. While you would have brilliant people like Hermione working as a Gnome exterminator." Luna responded calmly but Harry noticed a hint of anger in her voice.
Michael was losing his temper. "Why am I even debating with Loony Lovegood? Mudblood or not, Granger is still superior to you. No amount of tainted blood would ever weaken someone more than your FEEBLE, LOONY, HEAD!"
"THAT'S ENOUGH CORNER!" Harry intervened holding his temper as he stood between the two. The entire Great Hall was looking now at the scene before them,
"20 points from Ravenclaw for your disgraceful behavior. You're the Head Boy, start acting like it."
"You're going to defend Mudbloods and Muggles Harry? You were raised by Muggles and everyone knows you hated it. Maybe you can fill us in on how bad they were. Oh wait, what about that one Half blood who tried to kill us all, Tom Riddle! He who must not be named! He killed your parents for Merlin's sake!"
"Yes I know. He killed my Father and my 'Mudblood' Mother Michael" Harry growled.
The room was silent now, even the teachers were watching intently.
"Another 20 points from Ravenclaw, and a weeks' worth of detention for your disrespect. Remember who you are talking to. I am your Professor now. You will call me Mr. Potter, Professor or Sir."
"OK SIR!" was Michael's only reply as he stormed off. That changed when he reached the doors of the Great Hall.
"I hope for your sake the You Know Who's curse died with him, or you won't be a Professor for long SIR," and with that the Head Boy stormed out of the Great Hall.
Harry sat down with Luna in silence while she looked between the three of them.
"Well that was most interesting." Luna said simply taking out her books. "Oh I forgot one Accio book."
Harry, Ron and Hermione noticed Luna didn't use her wand when she cast the spell but sure enough a book flew right into her hand.
"Ho...How di...did..." Hermione gasped as Luna got up with a smile.
"I almost forgot my textbook for DADA. First class of the day and I think it's going to be most interesting," Luna hummed as she skipped away with a giddy feeling in her stomach.
It was good to be back in Hogwarts. Luna couldn't wait for what else the day would bring. Today was going to be a great day because she was going to be in Harry's first class. It was going to be just like DA.

This wasn't going to be anything like DA
Harry sat in his empty class room which would soon be full of students. His first class was 7th year Gryffindor's and Ravenclaw's, a double length class. As he waited, the same thought kept going over and over in his head.
"What the hell did I get myself into?"
Suddenly the students began to walk into the class, he saw Hermione which made him feel more comfortable...followed closely by Ron..."Shit. I'll never hear the end of it from him if I mess this up. Ron would never let me live this down."
Luna came in with an ecstatic grin on her face he had only seen once before, the night at the burrow. "She is going to be crushed when this class turns into a joke." At least Michael's not here...he won't get to gloat at this disaster.
What am I talking about" Harry suddenly thought. "I killed Voldemort! I can teach people how to do magic. If only this WAS like DA. Why does this have to be any different from DA?"
...Click! he had an idea
Harry smiled and turned to the class. "Hello, I am Professor Potter," he said chuckling. The reaction from the class was already a mix of chuckling and confusion, largely depending on how well the student knew Harry.
"If you want to call me Harry or Mr. Potter I honestly don't care. I am friends with a few of you in this class." He said looking over the room. He noticed Luna was surprisingly focused on the lessons. "I am not your friend in this room. I am not here to help you get good grades. You get good grades by doing well in this class. I am here to prepare you for the very worst. This is your final year at Hogwarts and the war is over. However if you think the evil in the world is gone your sorely mistaken. One day there will be another war. Maybe you will end up fighting in it, maybe not. If a war IS coming then we need an ARMY!"
Harry waved his wand and all the books on their desks shot back into their bags.
"STAND UP."
Everyone jumped to their feat startled. Harry waved his wand and the desks flew into the wall behind him exploding. Harry waved again and they appeared repaired and neatly stacked. Harry wasn't sure where this confidence was coming from but he liked it.
Ron had a look on this face that one makes when they realize they're in serious shit. This is not going to be as easy as he thought. Harry then started writing words in the air with his wand. He finished them and turned back to the class. The class was full of smiling excited students some were even cheering. Luna had the biggest smile on her face. Her dream had finally come true.
"Welcome, if you weren't before, you are all now official members of...
"Dumbledore's Army"

"5 points from Gryffindor for reasons that should be obvious." Harry said as he helped another student with the expeditious spell.
"Come on, what did I do Harry?" Ron whined.
"You know exactly what you did. Now Ron, you work with Dean, and Hermione can work with Padma." Harry ordered as Ron sulked away from a glaring Hermione.
The class was going swimmingly. All the students were thrilled to be out of their desks and practicing spells. By the time the class had ended Harry was certain this would be everyone's favorite class.
"We did some review today, but now that you've got a good idea of how classes are going to be, the spells will far more difficult. Class dismissed." Harry said with a smile as he noticed Ron was walking quickly out of the class, followed by a very stern Hermione.
Harry turned to one particular student before she left. "Luna can you see me in my office."
"WHAT THE HELL!" Harry heard Ron scream in the hallway and other kids laughter following.
Luna looked at him curiously "Shouldn't you look in on that?"
"Hermione's just good at payback. Besides I never heard a thing. I was in my office talking to you." Harry said with a wink.
"But we're not in your office yet," Luna replied confused.
"Then we better get in," Harry chuckled as they did just that.
"You're a strange teacher Harry," Luna said thoughtfully wandering around the room.
"Well you're a very strange student so we should work together just fine," Harry joked but almost took it back thinking he might have hurt her feelings. Except it caused Luna to do something he only heard her do once before...Laugh.
It was a strange laugh fitting a strange person. A dreamy laugh fitting a dreamy person, but most of all a beautiful laugh fitting a beautiful per...
"Wait! Where exactly am I going with this?" Harry thought to himself as he offered Luna a seat. Luna seemed to consider it before choosing the seat opposite from it.
"Sat there yesterday, might as well switch things up."
"You like being different don't you," Harry said with a knowing smile.
"Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result," Luna hummed.
"Pardon?" Harry asked confused,
"A Muggle once said that was the definition of insanity," Luna sung with a smile. "Muggles are so much smarter than wizards. Without magic they have achieved things we can't begin to comprehend."
"They also don't accept things as fact without proof. They don't believe in dragons or Wrackspurts," Harry didn't know why he was testing Luna but he was genuinely curious to hear her response.
Of course Luna didn't disappoint. "They are wrong though, those things are real."
Harry swore she winked at him. That was very un-Luna like. She suddenly spoke up again.
"Why am I here? You said you wanted to talk to me about something," Harry blinked, it had been 10 minutes already and Luna was missing her lunch, he better hurry up.
"I wanted to talk about when we should have our tutoring sessions," Harry said in a matter of fact tone, but Luna was definitely confused by this.
"Flitwick never asked you about this when he tutored you, did he." Harry asked
Luna shook her head "He already had dates set...No one has ever asked me anything like his before."
"What do you mean?" Harry asked.
"No one really asked me anything before that wasn't a yes or no answer. Just, Luna are you really loony? Luna are you OK? Luna do you want to go to the dance?" Luna said smiling at the last example.
Harry smiled remembering that strange dance of Slughorns from 6th year but then he felt a sudden sadness. "No one's really asked you what you want?"
"I wouldn't always have an answer," Luna said smiling.
Harry pushed a calendar towards her and told her to mark the days she wanted to study. "What do you want?"
Luna looked up and opened her mouth but shut it. "That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me."
She then just drifted off into her head again. Harry waited for her to finish checking dates before she answered, her face focused in deep thought.
"Wanting my Mother alive is an easy one but I can't change that. I want to prove Mother right about Nargles. I want to one day finish her work. Oh I also want to go to the moon like the Muggles."
Harry couldn't help but laugh at this with Luna laughing too. "I'm not joking though Harry, I want to be the first witch or wizard to go to the moon."
"I know you mean it. I just know how much you loved the moon, I should have known you' would want to go there."
Luna's expression changed to a thoughtful smile. "But really, what I really want is more friends as good, kind and selfless as you Harry."
Harry was not expecting the last answer. He had expected more friends but the way she mentioned him..."You have friends like me. You have Ginny, Neville, Ron and Hermione."
"They are nice Harry but I don't know if they are really my friends. Besides I will never have another friend as good as you and no one ever will. You're the best person I've ever met."
Harry was surprised to realize he wouldn't have been able to hold back the tears from this "I think that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me Luna."
Luna slid the calendar back to Harry and got up to leave but froze.
"Y…Y…you left my picture up," Luna stuttered in shock staring at her food painting from last night.
"I thought it was beautiful Luna. I'm going to keep it up for as long as I'm here" Harry whispered. "How did you paint this with just food?"
Harry was interrupted when Luna ran over and hugged him, Harry was frozen in shock before hugging her back. Harry realized she was crying into his chest, ACTUALLY CRYING!
If Luna had done un-Luna like things before this was definitely the biggest one yet, he just patted her back. He felt wonderful...for making Luna this happy...and for her to make him so happy...He wasn't sure anymore why he felt so happy but he just knew it was because of the blond haired witch who suddenly ran out of the office without a second glance.
For some reason Harry felt confused. He really wasn't sure why. Something about Luna just made him feel different. Harry's thoughts were distracted when he saw the calendar he had Luna mark and just laughed.
Luna had doodled a picture under every date of the calendar, and underneath each doodle was a range of times, most being 3 hours long...
Sign up to rate and review this story