Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

Luna's Secret

by Marvolo666 1 review

Questions are answered Secrets are discovered

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Luna - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2017-01-01 - 3065 words - Complete

0Illiterate
"AHHH TAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT JUST DON'T HURT ME... OH!" The strange man paused, calming down immediately from his panic.

"Oh…It's just you Harry, would you like some tea?"

Harry had known his arrival would be a surprise but didn't expect to scare Mr. Lovegood so badly. The eccentric wizard looked even nuttier than when they last met.

"Sorry to bother you sir but it's important," Harry said panting as he had ran to his fireplace after he had spoken with Hermione.

"No bother at all you saved my sweet daughter from those vile death eaters. I owe you my life even without my...my…" Mr. Lovegood trailed off.

"Trying to sell me out to the death eaters" Harry finished a little harshly. No matter how noble Xenophilius' motives were, you don't exactly forgive someone for trying to sell you off to Voldemort.

"Uhhh...yeah sorry again for that. I know you are here about Luna, I have heard nothing but good things from the school. That she has been excelling in her classes since you started to tutor her." Xenophilius again offered Harry a tea who turned it down.

"Then you know she has gained strange new powers". Mr. Lovegood simply nodded, drinking his tea.

"Then you also know she destroyed and repaired Hogwarts in under 2 minutes without a wand."

Xenophilius had not expected this and spat out his tea, dropping the mug which shattered on the floor. "Dear Merlin it's happening faster than I thought."

"What is happening? You know what's going on don't you" Harry yelled excitedly finally about to find out...

"Yes I do but I'm afraid I can't tell you. It's not safe for others to find out Luna's secrets and I will not endanger my daughter's life." the odd man said sadly as he repaired his mess with a wave of his wand.

Xenophilius looked at Harry and sighed. "There are many things in this world that you are too young to understand dear child. I'm afraid that Luna is doomed to either suffer the fate she fears or try and fight it. If she chooses the latter then she will fail in far worse ways. I will not let my daughter get hurt."

"Who would want to hurt Luna?" Harry asked sensing fear in the man's eyes.

"People who fear change. People who have something to lose from that change. People of Power dear boy. My Dear Pandora stumbled upon something that could change everything. Change is very dangerous child."

"If you tell me I swear I will protect her..." Harry began to say but was interrupted.

"You cannot make such a promise...no one can," Xenophilius whispered ominously. "Please leave me in peace. I will always be in your debt Potter but my daughter will always come first. Please just continue to look after my daughter. I know she is very fond of you and I can see you are fond of her. For this reason more than any other, promise me you will look after her and try to keep her safe. I fear her secret will soon be out anyway. We may let the sleeping dogs lie but eventually they will always awaken to feast."

Harry turned to the fireplace and grabbed a hand full of flew powder when Xenophilius called out "...and Harry please remember. I always encourage people to open their minds but sometimes it's better to close them."

Dear Michael

I'm afraid I cannot tell you anything about the Lovegood child since this is top secret. I'm afraid I was visiting the school for more top secret business and accidentally left some papers in the school library. Please dispose of them and Don't Read Them. I know it might be Tempting to read the papers that may answer your questions but I know you will do the right thing.

From Your Loving Father.

Michael laughed as he ran to the library his father was always a clever one. He always liked to play these games when informing his son on the secrets of the Department of Mystery's.

Michael ran to the library and saw the package in the corner of the room. After the events from yesterday he was even more excited to find out the loony girls secret.

Finally he opened the package. He began to read the documents and burst out laughing. Well this makes a lot of sense. Poor Loony Lovegood was in for a nasty surprise...

Luna was a girl of many secrets, which is why Harry was still unaware of the wizard who seemed to be living in the Hogwarts kitchens. Today was not about secrets however, today was about training.

Mostly there studies had involved reading books and practicing spells. Luna was a focused student with Harry, and took in whatever he taught her.

Luna still never gave this much attention to her teachers. At one point during charms class Flitwick had to perform a Muffliato charm on Luna when she refused to stop humming.

Luna was different with Harry and she knew this. While she often had no interest in her studies Harry would always have her undivided attention. Luna found this odd, though last night's revelation may have something to do with it.

She found it more odd however when the day after the incident, Harry told her to meet him in the room of requirements for her lesson.

Harry was waiting for her and they both entered the room which had become at least as big as the great hall.

Harry turned to her. "Luna, I want you to give me your wand."

Luna reached out to give her wand to Harry but he put up his hand to stop her.

"No," Harry said with a wink and walked back to the other side of the room. He then held out his hand.

Luna's face lit up before she closed her eyes. As her face became more focused she felt the wand leave her hand. She could see through closed eyes as it flew across the room and into Harry's hand. Harry put the wand on a shelf that appeared behind him.

"I don't know how you are able to do the things you do Luna but we are going to find out," Harry said walking across the room back to Luna. "We are also going to find out what you're truly capable of," he said with a grin.

Luna kept her eyes closed and started counting "1...2...34...456...7."

"What are you doing?" Harry asked confused

"I'm counting to how many time you blink," Luna said opening her eyes with a smile.

Suddenly a piano appeared in the room. Luna began to wave her arms like a conductor and the piano started to play itself. It was a Strange, Bouncy, Happy song. Before Harry could realize what was going on Luna had run over to him and started dancing with him.

Harry's surprise was soon replaced by laughter as the two danced around the room, which was supplying more instruments for Luna to add to the arrangement. Soon the entire room was full of music and laughter. The music seemed to get faster and wackier as Luna added her own unique touches.

Harry couldn't help but be amazed by the madness. Luna then lifted Harry into the air...far in the air. In fact he was levitating 20 feet above the floor.

"Luna please put me down!" Harry begged as Luna laughed at his predicament. Luna snapped her fingers and he fell ten feet before stopping and landing gently on the floor feet first.

"That wasn't funny," Harry said laughing.

"That was very funny Harry," Luna barely got that out as she was laughing harder than she had her whole life.

"I guess you're capable of a lot," Harry chuckled "Is there anything you can't do."

"I can't control people or read their minds," Luna said her face then turned sad. "I can't bring back the dead. I guess it's for the best... But I can do other things."

Luna approached Harry and put her hand on his chest Harry froze. "What are...?"

"Listen Harry," Luna interrupted her voice a whisper. "Feel you heart Harry."

Harry put his hand over Luna's and realized he couldn't feel his heart at all.

"You stopped my heart from beating," Harry whispered stunned.

"People put so much importance on the heart saying it's responsible for love. The heart is just a pump that keeps you alive. Love is in the mind and soul," Luna hummed.

Harry suddenly felt his heart beating again...very fast. He quickly took his hand away while Luna's lingered a little longer before backing away. Her face showing conflicting emotions.

"It doesn't matter Harry. Times almost up. Soon it will be midnight and I shall have to flee the ball. I won't be able to leave any glass slippers to help me get back in."

And with that Luna left the room leaving Harry in stunned silence.

Harry sat in his office alone trying to come to terms with that strange girl. One minute she was thrilled to show off her newly acquired powers the next moment she was running out the door.

"Harry are you listening?" Harry jumped, startled, turning to see Hermione at the doorway.

"How long have you been there?" Harry asked.

"5 minutes you even said Hi! to me. Are you OK?" Hermione said looking concerned

"Sorry Hermione I have a lot on my mind lately." Harry yawned with exhaustion.

"You mean with Luna?" Hermione said, giving Harry a close look.

"Yeah she really is a second job with ev...Hermione? What are you doing here? Its 11:00 since when did you break curfew?" Harry asked.

Hermione sat down and took a deep breath. "I go to the library sometimes to read at night. I've been doing it for a few years and I never say anything because I know you guys would find it hilarious but I assumed you would be more mature about it now so I thought I come over and say Hi," she finished that winded explanation in under 10 seconds.

"Now no more changing the subject. What's going on with you and Luna?"

Harry just put his hands over his eyes. "She is a handful, she is frustrating, exhausting, and she does whatever she wants when she wants. She is also the most brilliant student in this school...next to you Hermione. She just needs to focus. I think she could be even smarter than you, but I don't think she wants to be. She keeps going on about Nargles and some ominous threat coming with them. And it's disturbing and worrying. I know something is wrong but no one will tell me what it is or how I can help. It's so crazy it's maddening," Harry then looked over and saw Luna's picture, still on the wall.

"But Luna's worth it. I never met anyone like her. Well who has? She acts like a child but is wise beyond her years. She is a one of a kind, an individual and she's has a beautiful laugh. I guess Luna's amazing really. Knowing that I'm helping her and getting through to her, makes me feel...WHAT?" Harry realized he had been rambling and Hermione was giving him a smug knowing look.

Hermione smiled "Harry I have known you for 8 years. I have never heard you talk this way about anyone."

"What are you implying" Harry asked pointlessly. It was pretty obvious what Hermione was implying.

"You love her don't you?" Hermione said looking in Harry's eyes.

"What? No I don't, she's just a friend, she's...she's..." Harry paused realizing to whom he was speaking. Harry ran his hands through his perceptually messy hair before answering.

"I honestly don't know Hermione. I thought I loved Ginny and you remember how that ended. Hell I thought I loved Cho Chang once. I'm not sure I know what love is but I know one thing." Harry paused looking past Hermione. "I have never felt this way about someone before."

Hermione turned to see Luna's food picture still on the wall. She took Harry's hand before speaking. "Whatever you feel for Luna, I know for a fact that she's been crazy about you since she first met you. Don't look at me like that, you aren't that oblivious. You know she worships the ground you walk on, you're the first person to ever give her the time of day next to Ginny and she just pitied her. You actually cared for her."

Harry thought about what Hermione said "I always knew she was more open to me than others but I didn't really think...She didn't seem to be too interested in anything of this world."

"Harry you ARE her world! I've seen the way she looks at you. I say you should do something about it. You want to help her? You can start by giving her the one thing she's ever truly wanted."

"What does she want?" Harry asked causing Hermione to whack him on the head with one of his scrolls. "Hey!"

"You can be so thick headed Harry. She wants to love and to be loved. Her father is always off on expeditions and after her Mother died she was alone. She cut herself off from people because the only person she ever loved died right in front of her. Now for the first time since her mother died she finally loves someone else and it's you. Maybe I'm wrong but from what I've seen this is true love. So don't waste anymore time like Ron and I did. Go find happiness with each over."

Hermione was starting to tear up and so was Harry. Hermione always had a way of hitting the nail on the head and then pounding it in for good measure.

"Thanks Hermione," Harry whispered as they hugged.

Hermione got up to leave now exhausted when Harry called to her. "10 points from Gryffindor for staying out after curfew," Hermione rolled her eyes and left. Harry then waited for her to be out of ear shot before adding "30 points to Gryffindor for being a good friend."

It was the next morning and it seemed like it was going to be another normal day. Harry was eating with Ron and Hermione while Luna was sitting by herself reading a relaxing book on goblin wars. Then something strange happened, someone sat beside her.

"I'd ask if this seat was taken but...you know," Michael sneered as Luna turned from him reading her book. Michael reached over and took the book from her.

"Loony...I can call you Loony right?" Michael asked smugly. No one would beat him today he was on top of the world.

"I don't care what you call me, your opinion means nothing to me," Luna said coldly.

Michael just reached into his pocket and pulled out one of the documents he had been given, slamming it on the table. Luna's eyes widened as he pointed to the parchment.

"So you don't mind if I call you this? I can tell them for you if you like. It makes so much sense now. You aren't just a Loony YOU'RE a BLOODY FREAK!" Michael yelled the last part causing the room to go silent.

The cocky boy got up the table and started waving the document around like it was a message from god. "EVERYONE, I HAVE THE ANSWER! WHY IS LOONEY SO DAM WEIRD?"

"WHAT GOING ON?" Harry yelled has he approached the Ravenclaw table. Michael smiled wickedly. Harry was close to losing it, if Harry cursed him now then Harry would be out of the Job. Michael will have finally beaten him once and for all.

"I'm going to tell them all just what Luna is...wait you don't know either do you. HAH! this is priceless. How about you staff members. Do you also not know Loony's big secret?" Michael asked walking up to the staff table followed closely by Harry and Luna.

"No, only Flitwick knows," Luna whispered as Michael gaped at her before smiling.

"Well Loony dear, allow me to change that, EVERYONE, YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY LUNA IS SO WEIRD. YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY SHE DOESN'T FIT IN. IT'S BECAUSE SHE IS A..." Michael's voice was suddenly gone and his jaw was the sealed shut.

Luna walked up to him slowly before speaking calmly. "You know, I'm not sure but I think I hate you."

Luna then blinked twice and Michael fell to the ground stiff as a board.

"He's right though, I am a freak. Harry I should have told you sooner but maybe it's best to just let everyone know right now. I'm sick of living this lie," Luna whispered as she walked down the middle of the great hall. Everyone was staring at the eccentric witch.

Luna then spoke to the entire room and for the first time in her life, everyone was listening. "My mother was a great witch. No one accepted her because she stood up against the evils of the Ministry. Everyone called her crazy but she was brilliant."

"She was working on her life's work when I last saw her. Mother wanted to know why some people become wizards while others don't. Mother never could understand how 'brilliant muggles' don't have magic while incompetent idiots do," Luna smiled again as she continued.

"Mom believed that that we should all work together Muggles and Wizards. That we could achieve great things beyond our imagination. She also knew that neither side would ever be excepting of the other. So she made it her life's mission to find a way to give magic to the world," Luna voice started to crack as she exposed her secrets to the school.

"She found incredible power with the Nargles but it backfired. She couldn't control it and it killed her. People assumed that the experiment didn't work...but it did. It worked on the one person she wanted to give magic too, more than anyone..."

"ME!"

There was a muttering of voices when Luna interrupted, tears running down her cheeks. "I don't belong here. None of it's real. I will soon lose all of my magic again and become what I once was..."

Luna broke down into tears.

.

.

.

.

"I AM NOT A WITCH"

I AM A SQUIB"
Sign up to rate and review this story