Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

The Lovegoods

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Hi Luna, welcome to the family."

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Flitwick,Luna,Umbridge - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2017-03-26 - 9089 words - Complete

0Unrated
"You mean she's..."
"A Squib!"
Pandora nodded somberly. "Unfortunately yes, I'm sorry Xenophilius."
Luna instantly recognized the room she had landed in. It was the scene of her birth.
Luna looked at the newborn in Pandora's hands and shook her head.
She looked so different back then, so small.
"She's a human being and your daughter!"
"How Dare you!" Umbridge screeched glaring at the infant in a way that made Pandora shiver. "That...That thing is not my Daughter.
Luna flinched at her Mother's words, she didn't want to see this, not again.
Luna looked away as the fighting started.
"Pandora, dispose of the creature"
"What?! NO!" Xenophilius cried out. "You can't hurt my daughter."
"There will be other daughters, real daughters that are actually human!" Umbridge sighed with frustration. "Pandora, kill it and make it fast before it gives me a migraine."
Pandora started speaking quickly. "Xenophilius can take care of her, you don't need to have anything to do with her."
Luna was about to leave the Pensive when the Nargles appeared before her. "Why am I here, why do I need to see this again?"
Aναρχία shrugged. "Recap."
Anarhie glared at Aναρχία before speaking. "This is the beginning of the first memory, a memory you did not complete."
Pandora reached out for the child and Xenophilius flinched away holding his daughter protectively. Pandora raised her hands slowly while looking to his eyes. "Trust me Xeno."
Xenophilius slowly handed the child over to Pandora, the two never breaking eye contact. Pandora held the now silent baby in her arms, before she broke eye contact. "Go...I don't want you to see this."
"What?!" Xenophilius gasped as two Unspeakables seemed to come out of thin air and began to drag him out of the room. Pandora was used to this happening in the Department of Mysteries, though her heart broke at the sound of her friend's cries.
"Well...be done with it." Dolores ordered as the baby's eyes looked up and met Pandora's.
"Seems like such a waste." Pandora spoke wistfully not taking her eyes off the child.
"Useless things can't be wasted." Umbridge said with contempt. "That's why it's trash
Pandora struck at the opening chance, meeting Dolores' gaze. "Yes but one man's trash is another man treasure."
"Magic." Pandora blurted before speaking excitedly. "Yes..Yes magic. You know my abilities, give the child to me and I'll make a Witch out of her. I can't promise success, but as far as I'm concerned we have yet to truly study magic as a...thing. Let me try and give her magic, let me do what I do."
Umbridge was clearly intrigued. "Take her to your office, make sure no one knows of this. Pandora I'm classifying this as code black. No record, no knowledge.
Luna glared at Pandora as she felt her heart ache. Seeing the women she loved as a Mother barter with her life like this, still hurt .
Are you still here? Go before someone sees the creature. I'm going to be obliviating half my staff before the day is done, or at least have someone else do it...send my healer back in."
Pandora didn't need to be told twice as she ran from the room...and Luna followed.

Down the hallways Pandora walked at a brisk pace, holding the child closely to her chest. She moved as fast as she dared without calling attention to herself. The last thing she need was to be stopped by an unspeakable. They couldn't know of her assigned mission, let alone her true intentions. She just prayed the infant didn't start crying.
Pandora hadn't realized she had been holding her breath until she locked herself in her office. Pandora gasped for breath as she placed the baby on her desk before allowing herself to collapse from the weight of everything. Pandora was certain she was having a panic attack but at the moment she couldn't fight it, she just had to suffer through it before she could do anything else. She conjured a paper bag and started breathing from it as she slumped to the floor, shaking.
Five minutes later Pandora crawled off the floor and looked to her desk only to see the child was missing. Pandora felt her blood freeze...
"Don't worry Pandora the child is in good hands... they may be a little small...but..."
Pandora turned and saw the one person she wanted to see more than anyone. "Filius, thank Merlin. Wait, why are you in my office?"
Filius smiled as he held the newborn in his arms. "If you looked around, you would realize this is my office. The subconscious has a way of leading us towards the things we need. I assume this is Xeno's daughter. What's the problem child and how can I help."
"She's a Squib...that woman wanted to..."
"I understand, I've worked with her longer than you child." Filius muttered darkly. "You convinced her to spare her own daughter, how?"
"I said I would try to give her magic." Pandora answered causing the Goblin to snort, Pandora looked down embarrassed. "What...It was the first thing I could think of."
"Well then I guess I have one more question." Filius spoke with his high pitched mischievous voice. "Why are you still here?"
Pandora looked up and saw the Goblin smirk. "I need to pack...I have too much research to leave behind...but I don't know if I have time...I just had to get away from that witch."
"I cannot leave...not yet, I helped build this place, and I won't abandon it to that woman. You don't have to stay. You are too good for this place. Get out now while you still can. As for your research. I have some friends in Gringotts, and I am in possession of a Time Turner. Your office is likely already cleaned out as we speak. When you get the chance go to Gringotts and they will unpack your research in your home, which I will also have them ward off. Bring Xenophilius there."
Pandora graciously took the infant back into her arm before crushing the Goblin with the other. "Thank you Filius, I can never repay you for this."
"And you will never need to." Filius replied. "Now go...better yet...grab my hand and hold that child tight. The Newborn might just be the first human to ever travel to a time before she was born."
Filius took out a golden chain necklace and Pandora had to kneel so it would fit around both of their heads. Luna began to stir as Filius fiddled with the watch. Disillusion the child Pandora, and you should be able to walk straight out the door. Stay at my place for a couple of hours, and deliver the child to her Father...Does she have a name yet?
"Not yet, but you'll be the first to know," Pandora insisted as she felt time spin around her, the infant looking around at the moving images eyes wide in wonder.
"You'll need to hide the child's identity, I'll rat you out and say you fled after your spells failed to predict the child's, early demise. Ghastly sounding yes but if Delores believes her child is alive...she'll have her killed."
"It might work but for how long." Pandora asked wearily.
"That is up to you, Xenophilius and this little woman." Filius cooed as he brushed his finger through the infant's hair.

Xenophilius was sitting by the fireplace tears running down his cheek and a bottle of firewiskey in his hands. It was already half empty, Pandora could feel his sorrow as she whispered. "Xenophilius..."
He didn't look up, his gaze fixed on the fireplace. "I should have seen it coming, I always knew she could be cold, but I never realized...She used to be different, so full of love and life. I was a Father, for one joyous moment...Why Pandora, I trusted you."
Xenophilius looked up and for a brief moment his eyes were full of hate confusion and betrayal, yet the sight he saw wiped his face blank. Pandora giggled as his eyes drifted to his daughter. "You can always trust me Xeno."
Xenophilius carefully took the baby his arms as he started laughing with joy. Pandora had tears in her eyes as she watched the reunion. Pandora conjured up a crib and Xenophilius placed the now sleeping infant in the bed. Xenophilius then hugged Pandora so hard Pandora swore she bobbed something in her back. "Xenophilius Lovegood, I save your daughter and you respond by breaking me in two!"
Xenophilius giggled like a school girl before hoisting Pandora onto her shoulders, Pandora squealed as she started kicking the laughing Xeno, before he dumped her onto the couch, both of them laughing their hearts out. Xenophilius grabbed the bottle of firewiskey and poured Pandora a shot. "Cheers, to the girl. And to her Godmother."
Pandora gasped, causing Xenophilius to laugh. "Is it really so surprising, we've been friends since we first set foot on the Hogwarts express, you were going to be Godmother long before you saved my precious...daughter's life...Merlin! still don't have a name for her. I know...I'll call her Stardust."
"Pretty but an awful name." Pandora said while shaking her head. The child as if knowing they were talking about her, started crying. Pandora sighed as she walked up to the child and cradled her as she hummed a lullaby, singing the song.
"Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved"
Pandora looked up and saw Xenophilius staring at her in wonder. "You're a natural."
Pandora shook her head. "If you think my singing is that good then you've probably had too much to drink."
"No not you're singing...not that your singing is bad." Xenophilius insisted. " I meant you're a natural Mother."
Pandora snorted clearly under the same opinion as before. Xenophilius stood up and walked up to Pandora with a pleading look. "I can't do this on my own, I will try to if I must, but I can hardly look after myself, let alone a child. I need help, and she needs a Mother."
Pandora looked up wearily. "You're not suggesting..."
Xenophilius, bouncing with excitement said "Yes, Yes I am! Help raise her with me, you can stay with me at the Lovegood cottage outside of Devon. I always wanted to raise my child their but Delores...wanted to stay in the city. I hate this city, I mean don't get me wrong London's a great city but I always loved the country, the wilderness, the wild, the..."
"I get it Xeno, I think raising Luna in the Rook would be a lovely idea, but you really want me to be her Mother?" Pandora asked not believing he was even considering this. "I'm not...parent material, I don't even like kids."
"No, you didn't like your classmates, you love kids." Xenophilius countered with a grin.
Pandora shook her head. "I have a ton of research to do. I'm done with the Ministry of Magic, but I am a researcher. I have so many questions and I will never be satisfied until I answer them all. I will never answer them all. I must follow my calling until I breathe no more."
Xenophilius clapped slowly. "Bravo, you should really join a theater with that amount of drama. You can do both you know. Discover the secrets of magic, humanity and the universe while raising a daughter. You think I'm going to stop the Quibbler, or travel the earth in search of the Magical creatures."
Pandora was silent so Xenophilius continued. "What is this really about, I can tell you love her already."
Pandora looked up her eyes half pleading as they glistened with unshed tears. "I'm scared."
"Me too," Xenophilius replied giving her puppy eyes.
Pandora glared back. "I hate you."
"You love her and you know it." Xenophilius laughed, as Pandora punched him in the arm.
Pandora looked at the baby and saw she was starting back at her. Pandora new that her childhood friend was right about one thing. She was already in love with the baby. She asked softly, "You sure about this? You really want to do this together."
"I'm certain of nothing, other than the fact that we've done everything together for 16 years. We never messed up too bad!" Xenophilius exclaimed causing Pandora to roll her eyes.
Xenophilius eyes twinkled and added. "It is also a family tradition that the Mother names the daughters and the father names the sons. So unless you want my daughter to be nameless."
"Xenophilius." Pandora interrupted he heart pumping. "If you're sure, then let's do this. I'll be Luna's Mother."
"Great!" Xenophilius shouted with happiness before pausing. "Who's Luna?"
Pandora looked at him deadpanned as the recently dubbed Luna cried in her arms, upset by the sudden bursts of shouting. Xenophilius blushed. "Oh...right. Hi Luna, welcome to the family."

Luna was crawling around all by herself at the age of four moths. This though rare is not unheard of. Magically changing the colour of one's hair most certainly is, especially when the baby was a Squib.
Pandora had been spending all of her time with Luna since the incident and though Pandora was thrilled to be able to spend more time with the Little Luna, Pandora also had research to do. Life at the Rook was far from peaceful, but compared to her life as an Unspeakable, it was one long vacation.
Xenophilius was also observing, Pandora's work had shown Xenophilius very quickly that her friend had an imagination that was borderline madness, but she often got results and Xenophilius was certain it would help him find the house hippo."
"I don't think it's a house hippo." Pandora spoke up randomly while jotting down notes of Luna's activities. "It's a big ugly Moon frog...or a rat. I'm not certain which."
Xenophilius shook his head wondering how she always seemed to read his thoughts. "Whatever it is you better not feed it before midnight."
Pandora bit her lip but said nothing as she started scribbling some more. Luna had tilted her head, staring at her adoptive Mother. Pandora started blinking frantically at her and Xenophilius had to speak up. "Um...What exactly are you doing?"
"Testing something," Pandora uttered, her eyes strained as she resisted the urge to blink.
"You're not going to change Luna again are you?" Xenophilius asked hesitantly.
"I doubt it, she smells fine." Pandora answered with a cheeky grin.
"No I meant-"
"I know what you meant but I never changed her Xeno." Pandora said with a smile. "She changed her hair colour by herself. I'm waiting to see if she does it again. If she does it will be soon. My notes say so."
Xenophilius peeked over her shoulder and read her notes. "Pandora, this is just numbers."
"Arithmancy, is all I need." Pandora boasted as she stiffened. Luna's eyes met her own and again her head tilted in confusion. Pandora started speaking to her in an encouraging tone, though the actual words held no meaning to the baby. Pandora blinked twice and for a moment nothing happened. Then Luna blinked ..And the eyes staring back at Pandora's were not brown, but silver.
Pandora practically screamed as she rushed over Luna and scooped her up into her arms kissing the top of her blond hair. "I knew you could do it Luna, I'm so proud of you Luna, my baby girl."
Xenophilius looked at her in wonder. "How?"
"I don't know, at least not yet." Pandora whispered, "But this changes everything. Our daughter despite being a Squib, has performed magic thrice."
"Thrice?"
"I can't be sure but I think her elbow is thicker." Pandora pointed out.
"Thicker you say...It's certainly possible..." Xenophilius drifted off as he looked between Luna and Pandora. "She has your hair and now she has your eyes."
Pandora looked at Luna closely with wonder. "Merlin...you are right...how...why?"
"You need to understand people, no mind is simpler than an infant." Xenophilius chuckled softly. "They care for food, sleep, to be cleaned and their parents, especially their mother. It is the one true unconditional love. Luna loves you Dora, she wants to be just like you. Now she looks just like you...only smaller."
Pandora's eyes brightened. "That narrows down the list of possibilities, I'm getting closer, give me time and I can...wait you mean..."
"Luna really is your daughter," Xenophilius whispered. "She has been since you first held her in your arms, only now she is proving it to you."
"I...I really am a Mother aren't I. Merlin...I...Oh...I think I'm going to cry," Pandora gasped as she buried her face into Xeno's shoulder. Xenophilius held her close while Luna squirmed in her arms. Pandora cried as she looked at Luna and whispered. "Don't worry Luna, Mommy's got you, Mommy loves you so much."
Pandora looked into the eyes of Xenophilius and uttered softly. "Thank you Xeno, for everything."
"Thank me, I should be thanking you. If..."
Pandora cut Xenophilius off when her lips reached his. Xenophilius broke away wide eyed. "Pandora?"
Pandora paled as Xenophilius grabbed Luna and placed her in the crib. Pandora followed desperately as she stuttered. "I...I...I'm sorry I didn't mean to. I...I just, got excited...and...I..."
Pandora's eyes widened as Xenophilius rushed towards her and kissed her flush on the lips. This time as they parted it was Pandora who was left in shock. "Xeno?"
He reached out and rested his hand on her cheek with a tenderness she had never known. Pandora felt all her fears and worries vanish in the blink of an eye. She wondered how her life could have changed so much in such a short time, four months ago she was a loner, now she had everything she ever wanted. Somehow she had found her family. "Xeno..."
"Dora..." Xenophilius cupped her cheeks and tenderly kissed her, melting Pandora's heart. The two friends knew that their friendship had changed forever.

"We can't hide her forever." Filius uttered as Pandora and Xenophilius sat around a table. "It's no life for a child, even a Squib needs friends. She's already one years old and believe it or not she will get older."
Pandora looked fearfully up the stairs where Luna slept. "But if Delores discovers her daughter's alive..."
"Then the consequences will be severe." Filius spoke darkly. "She would destroy Luna before she let her shame be known."
Xenophilius sighed. "I still can't comprehend Delores would do such a thing."
"Hatred, often triumphs over love." Filius replied mournfully as he scratched his long nose. "Once prejudice and hate buries itself into one's heart, it will corrupt them. Hatred allows the best of us to do unspeakable things. Umbridge was never the best of us..."
"She wasn't the worst of us." Xenophilius replied. "I loved her once, enough to bloody marry her. She could be cold but...she has a heart."
"Had...but no more." Filius cut Xenophilius off. "I remember teaching her, she was a nice girl. She was also cut off from others, an outsider struggling to fit in above all else. Umbridge was a half blood and with the rise of the Dark Lord Delores suffered in school. Then she lost her mother and brother when her father exiled them from the Wizarding world. Her Father never forgave her mother for disgracing his family with a Squib and focused that hatred on his daughter's young fragile mind. Umbridge began to hate herself and the Muggle taint in her family yet despite herself she never forgave her Father for taking them from her. Umbridge lost everything but her desire to be loved. It is shocking how something as pure as wanting to be loved can result in such evil.
"Umbridge has risen far in the Ministry and while you loved a person who needed that love, she lost sight of her motives. Power became her end game, life wasn't fair to her so she wanted to control it. She lost her humanity and when she begot a Squib her hatred only increased. Now her hatred for anyone not pure of blood has become an obsession."
Filius looked slowly towards the window of the kitchen. "Dark things are happening in the Department of Mysteries, Delores has blamed the Squibs for her daughter's death, and I assure you that finding out her daughter lives and is one will only make it worse. There are experiments taking place in the catacombs of the Ministry that would make you wish you were dead. I do what I can but I am only human...or Goblin."
"What do you suggest then?" Pandora asked as she looked between the two Wizards.
"As I said before, hatred often triumphs over love. It goes both way though, and it would be most refreshing to see a little love in the world." Filius smirked with mischief as his eyes met Xenophilius who gulped. The Goblin chuckled. "I suggest you go through with your plan. Luna always struck me as a honeymoon child."
"What?" Pandora blurted out in confusion.
"By the time Luna is five you could pass her off as a three year old, you told me yourself that Luna will be small. Change her birthday too, not too much mind you." Filius cackled as he strutted out of the room shouting. "I'll be back tomorrow with some firewiskey to celebrate!"
"Xeno?" Pandora asked cautiously. "What in Merlin's name is...what are you doing?"
Xenophilius got up from his chair and dropped down on one knee. Pandora's eyes widened and mouth dropped as she realized Xenophilius was holding a ring in his hands. "Pandora, this past year has been the happiest of my life. You have always been the light of my life and I was fool not to see it before. I love you with all my heart, you're my best friend, my soul mate. The...the mother of my child. I always felt weak, you make me feel strong. I used to be scared of the world, now the only thing I fear is losing the two girls that have become my family. Nothing would change if you married me, I wouldn't want it to, life's too perfect, but I love you and that's all the reason in the world to ask you to please be my wife."
Pandora looked at the ring in his hands then back at Xenophilius. "So you want to own me?"
Xenophilius paled. "What...n...no Dora, I swear...I...I..."
"You want to stick a shiny little ring on me and parade me around as your wife." Pandora hissed.
Xenophilius was now gaping like a fish, wondering how this could have gone so wrong. Then Pandora smiled. "Yes."
"Pandora I...wait what?" Xenophilius shouted confused.
Pandora started laughing. "Yes, I will marry you."
"That's great! That's...That's...Pandora you...you Witch!" Xenophilius exclaimed as Pandora started laughing her heart out. "That wasn't funny, you scared the hell out of me. You cruel...cruel...FIEND!"
By this point both of them were laughing as Pandora kissed Xenophilius on the lips and asked. "If I'm such a fiend you could always change your mind."
Xenophilius took the ring slipped it on her finger. He looked her suddenly damp eyes and uttered with certainty. "Never."

It was a magical day for Pandora and Xenophilius Lovegood, as they were now called. They had just been married and couldn't be happier. Of course what was meant to be a small wedding had become quite the event as Reporters, Journalists and Ministry workers were quick to attend their colleague's wedding. The problem was they had not even been invited to the ceremony. Not that the newly married couple cared, nothing could spoil their happiness...but one thing came pretty close.
"Hello Headmaster, it's an honor to have you attend our wedding". Pandora gushed happily.
Dumbledore grinned. "I haven't been your Headmaster in quite some time, please just call me Wulfric. I try to attend all my students' weddings, at least the ones I'm invited to. I dare say you make the most unique couple."
"The Daily Prophet has already declared us the odd couple." Pandora rolled her eyes with amusement
"I couldn't think of a higher compliment." Dumbledore uttered reverently.
Pandora blushed as she nodded in agreement as Xenophilius rushed up behind her. "Pandora I have to introduce you to someone."
Pandora giggled as Xenophilius spun her around and she found herself face to face with Xeno's idol.
Newt Scamander bowed slowly as his back cracked. "Hello, there, it is a pleasure to meet you two."
Pandora giggled at Xenophilius as he bounced like a child on Christmas. "I should probably be jealous that meeting you will be the highlight of my husband's day."
"I understand that you plan on having a child shortly, but maybe in a few years he would like to join me on one of my expeditions, that is if my back can still take it."
Xenophilius looked like he was about to faint as Newt slowly wandered off, Pandora was less worried about the old man's back as she was his life expectancy. Xenophilius whispered "I admit meeting Scamander might be the second best thing to happen to me today.
"Then what's the best thing that happened today?" Pandora asked with a giggle.
Xenophilius replied with a wink. "Meeting Nicolas Flamel."
The two burst out laughing causing the guests to give them strange looks.
"Ahem." A feminine voice coughed behind them causing to the couple to whirl around. Delores smiled politely as she took a bite from her biscuit. "This has been a rather enjoyable evening, I would like to thank you for having such wonderful Hors d'oeuvres."
Pandora felt her husband squeeze her hand in fear so she spoke. "I don't seem to recall inviting you Umbridge. Why are you here."
"I don't think anyone was invited, I just thought I'd join the wedding crashers and wish you both a happy marriage." Delores said sweetly.
Xenophilius plastered a fake smile on his face as he spoke through gritted teeth. "Thank you for you kind words Delores."
The couple made to turn around but were stopped by the familiar sound of "Ahem"
Delores smiled as she walked up to the couple and held out her hand. The Lovegoods glanced at each other as they eyed the hand warily. Delores giggled. "It's not going to bite."
Xenophilius reached out and slowly grasped her hand. They shook hands stiffly, before Delores pulled him into a hug. She kissed his cheek before letting him go and turned to offer the hand to Pandora.
Pandora took the hand, felt Umbridge dig her nails into her palm as she tightened her grip. Pandora smiled as she pulled Delores into a hug. Delores whispered. "You think you won, he's still mine."
Pandora smiled as she whispered. "I'm surprised, jealousy is so beneath you."
"This has nothing to do with jealousy or feelings," Delores uttered sinisterly. "You can have his heart, I own his soul."
Delores stepped away from Pandora and grinned sweetly. "I'm afraid I have to be off, have a wonderful life together."
Delores strutted away leaving the newly Married couple glaring at her. Xenophilius huffed. "She does know I could hear your entire conversation right."
Pandora couldn't stop herself from laughing, calming herself just enough to give her Husband a kiss. "You always know what to say don't you Xeno."
"Something like that." Xenophilius mumbled as they were approached by their next guest, the Wizard who gave Pandora away at the wedding.
Filius grinned as he spoke. "Congratulations to both of you."

Luna Lovegood has been Born.
Dear readers, I your humble editor Xenophilius Lovegood and my darling wife Pandora Lovegood am overjoyed to announce the birth of our daughter Luna Lovegood. All we ask of you is privacy during this time as we raise our daughter. I shall be continuing my exhibition soon. I promise you Bigfoot will be found though it is my belief the Muggles have just mistaken it for the Waffeler.

Filius laughed as he read the Quibbler, he needed a good laugh. It was rare when a plan came to fruition so perfectly. Luna was actually celebrating her second birthday but by the time Luna was even seen by other Witches and Wizards she would be five and easily passed off as a child of three. "Not to throw water on my own fire but what if Luna looks her age. What if your calculations are wrong."
"They aren't" Pandora said her expression vacant as she stared into the candle light. Filius kept his home dark, it helped connect him to his Goblin brethren beings that lived deep beneath the earth. "My numbers are never wrong...ever."
"What is it child. I can see suffering in your eyes. Surely this is a happy occasion." Filius asked as he patted her lower back, the only part he could reach even with her sitting down..
"I see things Filius, remember what I told you about the Potters." Pandora whispered softly. "How I saw the scar on the child's head, it has happened again and again I will do nothing. I see that the Minister is dying, I saw it through his picture in the Daily Prophet yet I will do nothing."
"Good reason I suppose."
"If I alerted him of his illness he would have survived, three days later he would get trampled by an Elephant."
Filius stared at Pandora as he deadpanned. "Elephants?"
Pandora shrugged. "I just do the Arithmancy Filius, it doesn't have to make sense to me."
Filius smiled slyly, "I would have very much liked to see that."
"Oh really?" Pandora asked her eyes alight with mirth.
Filius shrugged. "I'm sick of his short jokes, I would love a chance to look down on him for once."
Pandora shook her head as she laughed. Filius chuckled before muttering darkly. "Pandora, if you knew the things I knew you would wish him death too."
The air in the room suddenly felt heavier as Filius looked to Pandora with tired eyes. "Things have gotten worse, since the supposed death of her child, Delores has become even more...Well...like herself to be honest. The Minister is under her control and I am certain the next one will be too, she has been seen speaking to some Fudge fellow. I have been around for too long not to see the signs, he will be the next Minister, and Umbridge will he his undersecretary. Right outside his office...but we all know who will be running things. If only I could tell you what I know."
Pandora was silent for a moment before whispering. "How much can you tell me without breaking your..."
"Nothing," Filius replied. "This unbreakable vow is locked tight, I whisper an ounce of truth and I drop down dead.
The silence that engulfed the room was broken by the Goblin's haggard cough. "Enough about me, you were telling me about these visions."
"They're not visions." Pandora retorted. "Arithmancy is the art of creating spells, wards, and predicting the future through numbers. I see numbers everywhere. I can look at you and see all the thousands of numbers. I can glimpse into the future just by looking at these numbers.
Pandora looked up and Filius could see the child she once was as she uttered. "It frightens me."
Filius nodded, intrigued as he whispered. "You were always brilliant at Arithmancy but what you speak of is madness."
"I can take it further if I wanted to, but all I want is the family I finally have." Pandora said with a sigh. "Xeno was my friend and you were the closest thing I had to family. I have so much now, I don't want to lose it."
Filius nodded as he waited for Pandora to continue, she did. "Yet as much as I want to avoid the research...it's what I do, what I've always done, since I was a little girl going to Hogwarts."
Filius smiled tenderly as he spoke. "Ambition doesn't have to cost you your family child. You are not like your Father, nor are you like Delores. It is our choices that define us but the choice need not be so final. You have a family so treasure them, you have a gift so pursue it. It is our duty as living beings to pursue these gifts, our privilege. Yet it is our families that make our lives worth living."
"What if something happens to me?" Pandora whispered under her breath.
"What if you don't use your gifts and something happens to you anyway. We only live once Pandora, one must not waste it fearing death." Filius laughed.
"You don't seem to be so ready to die." Pandora exclaimed.
"No one is ready to die, but it need not matter. Ready or not death will get you HA." Filius snorted as he laughed. "Now enough of these morbid matters. I got some firewiskey around here somewhere. Let us to drink to life, to Luna, and her long lasting happiness."
"You drink too much." Pandora chided with a smile.
"And you don't drink enough." The goblin coughed as he summoned the bottle and poured Pandora a glass. "Drink to the truth, the truth I cannot speak and the truth you do not wish to know."
Pandora took a small sip while the half Goblin started chugging the bottle. Then Filius froze and slowly turned towards her lowering the bottle from his lips. "Truth...I cannot speak the truth but...
Filius turned swiftly to the Witch with a mischievous smile on his face. "Pandora...I have heard the most remarkable tail...Your husband just has to hear it...the Quibbler could use a scandal of this...peculiar nature."
Pandora intrigued leaned forward. "And what is this scandal?"
Filius chuckled. "The Ministry has been kidnapping...Goblins."
"That would probably start a war." Pandora retorted but Filius just cackled with humor.
"Yes it would. You see the Ministry has been making them...into pies." Filius laughed so hard Pandora couldn't help but join in. Filius continued. "They have been experimenting, coming up with different ways to make pies, they make some with potatoes and rhubarb, and they make others into the Pie's crust though I dare say it's revolting. They even make pies with Goblin Sausage HA!"
Pandora burst out laughing as Filius wheezed with mirth. Pandora smirked. "I'm assuming that you aren't really speaking of Goblins and pies."
Filius rolled his eyes. "You have proven yourself a true Ravenclaw, Pandora Lovegood."
Pandora finished her notes then looked at what she had written. Filius spoke up his voice serious once more. "Reality and a harsh truth we are likely to ignore, forget about the jokes what is the result?"
Filius looked at his story and thought to himself, no Goblins and no pies what is left. That's an odd word he used...experimenting. These non Goblins are..."
Then it hit her and Pandora looked up suddenly pale. "How many...Goblins?"
Filius sighed and whispered harshly. "Hundreds."
Pandora gulped. "The Ministry would never do this to Wizard or Witches and I pray they aren't eating them in any form. This is about what Luna is?"
"Or what Delores thinks she is...or was in her eyes."
"They are experimenting on and killing Squib's and Muggles. Filius, no sane Witch or Wizard would believe this." Pandora replied as she looked up at Filius with wide eyes.
"No they wouldn't. They wouldn't want to. You tell them the conclusion you have reached and they will dismiss it as lunacy and reject it with scorn. But everyone will hear my scandal and though most will laugh, they will not reject it. They will find value in its humor and who knows, some might even see the truth within the lies. People are funny that way, they will believe lies simply because the truth is stranger than the fiction."

Many have been questioning if the eccentric Xenophilius has finally lost his mind, as a string of stories has left the country gasping tears of laughter. However a portion of the United Kingdom, and particularly Sweden and France believe there is some truth to the tabloid's tall tales.
The Witch, Hogwarts professor Filius Flitwick once declared to be the greatest magical prodigy since Dumbledore, is now the wife of Quibbler owner Xenophilius Lovegood and a former member of the Unspeakables. Pandora has witnessed a staggering fall from grace. Leaving the highly esteemed Ministry branch to elope with the former husband of high ranking Ministry official Delores Umbridge.
Now she is reportedly performing highly illegal experiments in her own home while supposedly whispering secrets of the Ministry to Mr. Lovegood. The mad Witch's stories have caused the Quibbler's sales to skyrocket so maybe there is a method to the madness.
When questioned, The Head Unspeakable, who is of course anonymous, sent us the following statement.
"The Quibbler's stories are nothing but absolute rubbish. The stories have caused us nothing but unnecessary grievance as we handle protests against nonexistent conspiracies of Goblin pies and gum diseases. Also, Stubby Bordman is not imprisoned mass murderer Sirius Black, Mr. Bordman died from drinking fifty pepper up potions in three hours.
"I have nothing but sympathy for Pandora, her work clearly caused her to have a mental breakdown, it is sadly far too common in our line of work. I do fear for her new born child however. With an unstable mother, the baby's life could be endanger..."

Xenophilius turned off the radio and looked at his angry wife. "You've done it now love."
Pandora looked up heatedly. "Me? What were you doing, you wrote the articles I just passed on Filius' tales."
Xenophilius patted Pandora on the head saying, "Let's agree to disagree."
Pandora couldn't stop the smile from appearing on her face as she swiped at it him playfully. With an exasperated shake of her head Pandora shut off the Wizarding wireless.

...Trampled by no less than seven Elephants. Funeral arrangements are being planned for the Minister and will likely take place after Ministry officials have unpeeled his body from the concrete.
I guess what they say about Elephants is true...

Pandora looked back at Xenophilius as the wireless shut off. "At least we are causing her problems"
Xenophilius looked uneasy. "Is that necessarily wise, to anger her. She already blames you for her child's supposed death. You don't want to make enemies with Umbridge. Trust me on this, if what you say is true..."
"You suggest I do nothing?" Pandora yelled with anger.
Xenophilius pulled her into his arms. "I suggest you keep her eyes away from our daughter, less she find out the truth."
Pandora looked to her daughter who had crawled into the room. She picked her up and held her as she spoke to her husband. "You're right...we have to protect our Luna."
Xenophilus nodded with a sad grin. "We've done a good thing, but this is not our fight. I'm a Magizoologist and you may have left the Unspeakable's but you are still one of them. We are not fighters, we are researchers...and parents."
Pandora nodded and soon both Lovegoods were captivated by their daughter. Yet her mind continued to wonder...as long as people like Umbridge existed...Luna would never be safe.

That night Pandora walked into her daughter's room and softly calmed down her daughters crying. "What's wrong dear did you have a nightmare?"
"Mama?" Luna mumbled causing her mother to smile lovingly.
"Yes Mummy's here." Pandora cooed softly. "Mummy's always going to be here Pandora. Nothing's going to harm you. I swear to you, I will never let anyone hurt you..."
Pandora heard a sound from the doorway, Xenophilius looked with a sad smile as Pandora felt tears run down her cheek. Luna fell asleep as Pandora whispered to Xenophilius. "There is no future for her...unless I help her."
Xenophilius looked at her daughter as he spoke. "She will have a bright future, I know you worry but she'll be fine."
Pandora wished she could agree, she really did.

"What is magic." Pandora asked herself as she looked at her numbers and runes. Pandora had been slaving over this question for the last five years, yet she refused to give up. Her mind continued to drift to her conversation with her old friend. The power of love, that's what Lilly said. Pandora had a different theory, and now she was going to test it.
Her numbers had created so many spells, but the results were never what she desired. Every now and then she invented a useful new spell, but most Witches and Wizards did not understand the usefulness of conjuring goat horns onto your head. All that spell got her was a warning from the Ministry and a small fine for illegal unsanctioned spell crafting. Some of the Muggleborn Wizards seemed quite alarmed by the horns anyway so Pandora called it off as a misadventure.
Pandora made sure the room was warded off as she raised her wand and aimed it at the wall in front of her. Pandora took a deep breath as she uttered the most recent spell she had created, hoping it would work.
Imaginatio Potestatem
A silver light appeared in front of her. Pandora frowned, she had not calculated this. Pandora looked at the silver light with vested interest as it seemed to take shape and form. Pandora gasped as images appeared within the silver light, even as it turned into a silver substance similar to a penseive. First Pandora saw her old scrap book, then, the creatures in them. They seemed to come to life before her. She saw the Crumple-Horned Snorkack, the Heliopath, and the Blibbering Humdinger.
Pandora then saw something fly across the silver light, it was the strangest thing, a cross between a Pixie and a Fairy that made Pandora's heart stop. "Nargles."
The Nargles started flying in circles causing the silver substance to create a whirlpool effect before the Substance seemed to take on the qualities of a mirror. Pandora saw herself in the mirror and most hypnotically reached out with her free arm to touch it. Then Pandora saw something that stopped her heart. She was not alone in the room. There was a young woman in the room with her watching...
Pandora looked over her shoulder but saw no one there. Pandora looked back into the mirror. The girl behind her looked so much like her yet she also looked like Xenophilius. Even bruised cut and dirty there was no mistaking who this specter was. Pandora gasped as tears fell down her cheeks. "Luna..."
Luna looked on in shock as her Mother looked at her through the silver substance. Luna wasn't sure how it was possible but stepped towards Pandora slowly. "Mother."
Pandora was still looking in the substance as she noticed something else about Luna, there wasn't much of it, but she could see it, her daughter had magic. Pandora cried, swearing she was seeing the future and swore to herself she would make it a reality, no matter what-
No sooner had the thought entered her brain that the silver suddenly flashed a myriad of colours spinning and flashing in epilepsy inducing speeds. Suddenly three bolts of light shot out of the substance and hit Pandora rapidly on the head, Pandora went rigid before she began to fall. Her wand fell from her hand and the Silver exploded. Sending Pandora flying through the air and into the wall; on the other side of the lab. Pandora collapsed on the floor unconscious as silence and darkness consumed the room.
Luna watched in horror at the image before her, but before the memory cut to black,
Luna could hear the familiar sound of laughter.

Filius ran as fast as his little legs could carry him as he smashed his face into a gurney. Filius snarled as he grabbed his bent nose. "Watch where you're going!"
The Saint Mungo's Healer glared at him before carting off the patient who didn't seem to be in good spirits, probably because he was dead.
Filius ran a little slower before he burst into the Hospital room that currently hosted the Lovegood's. Filius saw Pandora was awake in the bed and smiling, causing Filius to instantly sigh in relief. "I came as soon as I heard, what happened?"
Pandora smiled as she held the sleeping five year old Luna in her lap. "My wand just had a strange reaction to a spell I cast."
Filius frowned. "That wand has never failed you-"
"Filius!" Xenophilius hissed from his seat beside his life.. "Think about where we are."
Filius looked at the many healers running back and forth outside the room. His eyes widened with acknowledgment. Mentioning Pandora's illegal spell crafting would not be wise. "My apologies, I'm a little flustered right now."
"We all are." Xenophilius muttered as he gripped Pandora's hand tightly.
Pandora sighed as she rested her head on her pillow. "I'm sorry I scared you all but I'm fine really."
Filius glanced to Xenophilius who shook his head. "She's be fine after they heal up her cracked skull!"
Pandora flinched as Filius nodded calmly. "Xenophilius, could you please take Luna and leave the room for a moment."
Xenophilius looked like he wanted to object but after looking at how frightened Pandora seemed, simply smiled and said. "You know what, that sounds like a lovely Idea. I'll get Luna some Ice cream."
Luna woke sleepily as Xenophilius took her into his arms and left the room. Filius quickly warded the doorway as Pandora started speaking. "I know you're mad at me but-"
"How did you sustain a cracked skull from your spell crafting?" Filius asked with an eerily calm voice.
Pandora flinched, "not that I can remember that part happening but from what I can tell the spell must been broken and sent me flying head first into the wall at a velocity of..."
"Go on," Filius uttered sternly.
"I placed a cushioning charm on the wall before I-"
"Yet still cracked your skull meaning the velocity was way over 20 Kilometers per hour, likely at 50 Kilometers per hour . So that would mean that the spell you were crafting had a power rating of...?" Filius trailed off.
Pandora answered weakly. "At least 7 but-"
"At least 7!" Filius shouted causing Pandora to wince. "The power rating of spells only goes up to 7."
"It could always go higher?" Pandora replied.
"You're not helping your case girl. The first thing I taught you as a child, never perform newly crafted spells with a rating higher than three without highly trained experts. Why didn't you just call me with the flu powder? You know I am always willing to help you with your work, Unspeakables be dammed. You could have, no should have died!"
Pandora nodded before saying. "I have to do this alone Filius."
"That is Kikasck and you know it." The Goblin cursed in gobbledygook gook.
Pandora glared as she rose from her bed. "I am working on magic beyond even your understanding Filius, I am tapping into the very edge of what is possible. I am doing this for my daughter and for people like her. I do this because I'm the only one who can. You will just slow me down."
Filius glared as he shouted. "I am not asking to help create spells, I am asking to help you make sure your daughter doesn't grow up without a Mother!"
Pandora froze before slumping back onto her bed. Filius hopped onto the seat Xenophilius had vacated and looked Pandora in the eyes. "You are not alone Pandora. You have family now, you still have me. Tell me please, what's wrong."
Pandora sighed sadly. "I can't trust you Filius, as much as I care for you, I can't trust you with my work."
Before Filius could retort Pandora quickly added. "It has nothing to do with your character, you are too close to Delores. As long as you continue to work with the Unspeakables, I can't share my work with you. It's dangerous enough you know of Luna's birth mother...but if Delores ever extracted information of my work...the consequences would be dire for us all."
Filius sighed sadly as he uttered. "I understand, I really do. I can't quit though, I am the only one protecting..."
Pandora looked up with a wink. "Helping The Goblins escape the pie factory."
Filius snorted at the joke. "Yes...but you must promise me you will do no more of these dangerous experiments on your own."
Pandora chuckled at that. "Don't worry about that Filius, we are not alone...not anymore..."
Filius frowned. "What? What do you mean we?"
Pandora smiled. "Just trust us Filius."
"US?"
Suddenly the door opened as Xenophilius enter holding Luna in one hand while vanishing the wards with his other. Luna yelled happily as she held out her hand. "LOOK MOM ICE CREAM!"
Later that night, Xenophilius reluctantly left to take Luna to bed. Pandora didn't, she just needed rest. Yet as she closed her eyes she heard a voice.
Hello Mother.
Moon Mother
Pandora tossed and turned in her sleep as she muttered. "Who are you."
We are your children.
The Children of the Wise
Pandora found herself in a white plain in the landscape of her mind. She looked around to take in her surroundings but found there weren't any. Pandora walked forward yet could not feel the earth. She shouted out into the emptiness. "Hello? Where am I?"
In your head Moon Mother
Pandora shook her head with a chuckle as she turned away. "I'm hallucinating, I have sustained a head injury and this is a natural result of it."
Who are you trying to convince Moon Mother.
Pandora started laughing. "I've gone mad haven't I."
No you are not mad, but we are.
Pandora noticed three dark silhouettes in the emptiness. Pandora slowly approached them as she whispered. "What are you?"
The answer to your deepest desire
We hold the knowledge you seek.
We are the Nargles
Pandora's eyes widened at this. "Nargles...but that's impossible, your just...your just."
Nothing is impossible, isn't that what you always said
Well now you have proof.
You wish to understand the secrets of magic,
You wish to enter the path of knowledge.
You wish to burden yourself with power.
To help those you love
Then accept us into your heart and we shall show you how.
Pandora approached the Nargles as her mind pondered what they offered. Her answer was never in doubt. Pandora reached out towards the Nargles as she muttered. "I must be dreaming."
WE ARE DREAMS GIRL
WATCH AS YOUR DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES COME TRUE
With that Pandora felt herself be sucked into darkness. Pandora could feel her spirit fly through lights and sounds beyond her comprehension. She saw numbers in everything, the same runes and Arithmancy that had allowed her glimpses into the future was now flooding her mind with knowledge. Pandora felt as if her spirit was soaring across dimensions, across space and time, across the very fabric of magic.
Pandora saw images of a past she wished to forget. She saw her Father behind papers, focused on his work. She saw him insult and belittle her like he had always done when she was young. She remembered the worst of his insults as he blamed her for her Mother's death. She remembered him attempting to strike her only to be blasted back, it was the very moment Pandora discovered she wasn't a Squib. Pandora watched as she ran away from home that very night, and never looked back.
Pandora saw herself as at only 10 years old when with an accidental burst of magic, apparated to Hogsmeade where her grandmother lived. She remembered how she became like a Mother to her, and the day she first met Filius, when the Goblin joined her grandmother for tea. Pandora remembered the day her Grandmother died and how Filius took her under his wing. She remembered Hogwarts and befriending Xenophilius. She remembered getting a letter from her Father as she neared the end of her 4th year, apologizing to her for his actions and how her Mother's death was not her fault. She remembered burning the letter and joining Filius as an Unspeakable.
Then Pandora saw images from a future she did not recognize, of fire and death. She saw war of nuclear bombs and horrific spells killing millions. She saw Witches and Wizards gunned down. She saw a green light wipe out a city of Muggles. She saw Goblins butchering all they could find. She saw dragons setting the skies on fire. Then she saw something different, it was a faint image of the world itself and its beauty brought her to tears. Then she saw her Daughter surpassing even the earth's beauty softly wishing she could go back.
Pandora saw images of her daughter, lonely and ostracized, she saw images of her daughter suffering yet she also saw hope. She saw a young boy with her. She saw Luna with friends and one in particular who seemed to be more.
Then she saw something that made her heart stop. Luna returning home to her Father, the two of them going on an expedition together. The two of them...but Pandora was not among them. She wasn't sure how she knew but as soon as the thought entered her head she was certain. Pandora knew her days were numbered.
Pandora woke up screaming in the hospital. Nurses quickly sedated her as they tried to find out if something was wrong, blaming it on the painful progress of healing a cracked skull. Pandora would leave the next day, but she would never again be the same. Some blamed the head injury, but Pandora knew the truth. From that moment on, her life was no longer hers. Pandora's life belonged to magic.

Please Follow, Favorite and Review. I love reviews, and I love all of you.
Lyrics of song Love by John Lennon.
Next Chapter: What happened the night Pandora died...
Sign up to rate and review this story