Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > The Black, The White, And The Red

Act One: Deadalus & Icarus: Chapter One: Dead

by Slades_Downfall 0 reviews

Jason tried to save his mother and died in an explosion. Batman was faced with another tragedy...A Death in the Family.

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Romance - Characters: Robin, Other - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2006-08-17 - Updated: 2006-08-17 - 1549 words

0Unrated
The Black, The White, And The Red

Discover the origins of Red X. How does he know martial arts? How does he know how to use the equipment? And why would he help the Titans when he only looks out for himself? Here's why, he's someone from Robin's past.

Disclaimer: This will be here for a ton of reasons. I do not own Teen Titans, or the episode "X", or Jason Todd, or anything that belongs to DC Comics, or "A Death in the Family," the comic in which Jason Todd died, which will be referenced a lot in this story. Special Thanks to TheDudeLordOfFantasy who gave me all the info on Jason Todd and helped me with the Comic Aspects of this fic. Go read her Robin centered fic The Impossible Normal Life, it rocks! Technically Jason is NOT Robin in this fic 'cause he dies at the beginning.

Act One: Deadalus & Icarus
Chapter One: Dead


I have to...save her! But why should I...she lied and betrayed me to the Joker..." The boy shook his head. "No, that wouldn't be right. Bruce wouldn't allow it. Even she deserves a second chance. After all, she is my mother...

He strained his badly battered body to reach for the ropes that he could barely see through bruised, battered eyes. His good arm he forced to move so he could manipulate his hands and fingers to untie the bonds that bound his mother "You're free...Run for it..." he managed to gasp for enough air to force the words out of his mouth. She didn't move.

Only forty three seconds. Maybe there would be enough time to escape. Pain engulfed his entire body, he felt himself blacking out. "Go..." he groaned as he felt himself falling to the floor.

He felt his mother's hands grip his shoulders, pulling him up. "Come on, let me help you," she said as she pulled him to his feet and helped him stagger towards the door. By this time the display on the explosive said twenty three seconds. It was almost too late for them. "We're almost there."

Twelve seconds left...His Mother set him down against some boxes. "Stay here while I get the door." The boy nodded. It wasn't like he had much of a choice.

"...What's wrong?" he managed to ask. She was pulling frantically at the door knob.

"It's locked!" his Mother screamed, pulling at the door knob. "The Joker locked us in here!"

Time seemed to slow as he began to attempt to remain conscious Five seconds, four seconds, three. But it was too late. Mom! His mind cried out in despair. NO!

An explosion rocked the building as he was thrown backwards. It was hopeless. He had failed; he couldn't save himself or his mother from the Joker. He saw his life flash before his eyes. He knew it was the end, he let his eyes close, and he knew he probably wouldn't make it.

He flew back, his body bouncing against the wall, with a thud he landed on the floor. Unmoving he saw only a white has as his eyes fell shut.

Minutes later...

The Batman pulled the Joker's supply truck to a screeching halt in front of what once was a warehouse. Rushing out, he began frantically searching for the boy. He had to find him. It was urgent. He had gone off to find his birth mother without his permission. What's worse was that the Joker had showed up and about beat him to death with a crowbar.

"Come on! Come on! Where are you!" He began digging through the rubble and debris, frantically searching for the boy. At last he found him, lying in a bloody, beaten heap beneath the remains of the building.

"No!" Batman screamed. He screamed again, this time his voice was hoarser. "NO!" He looked at the boy's lifeless body. "He's gone, and I could do nothing to prevent it. Gone. I've lost him." Batman lightly placed a hand on his face. "He's already cold to the touch." He was gone, and it was his fault.

Two weeks later...

Alfred Pennyworth stood beside his friend as they placed the casket with the boy's body in the grave, Bruce's butler, was also there, silent and solemn. "I know how hard it is for you to lose him. He was a family member, and we will never forget him." Alfred tried to comfort the man who had trained him. Robin was gone, he had failed miserably. Alfred was also saddened.

Bruce needed someone to comfort him, Dick Grayson wasn't there. He was in Jump City with the Teen Titans. Bruce didn't call him. When Alfred asked why, the only answer he received from Bruce was, "I'll handle it in my own way."

Robin, Dick Grayson, knew nothing about Jason's death. Bruce didn't have the heart to tell him. He had felt that after he had been "kicked out" of Wayne Manor that he had been replaced by Jason. And because of that, they weren't on speaking terms anymore. Bruce tried not to think about all the pain he felt inside.

"I know, Alfred. I know. I wish I could have been there."

"I know, Master Bruce. Sometimes these things happen. I don't understand it either. He was a good kid. He died trying to do the right thing."

Bruce sighed. "Still...I'll never forgive myself for this. It's my fault he's gone."

"It's not your fault, Bruce," Alfred sighed. "He was always very volatile. He went too far. It's rumored he pushed Felipe Garzonasa off a balcony. He violated your code against taking lives."

"But he claimed it was only a rumor, he said it wasn't true. I shouldn't have taken him off duty-"

"You did what you thought was right, Master Bruce," Alfred cut in. "The boy was becoming more and more aggressive. He was starting to rebel against you. He dishonored your teaching."

"I know, but still..."

"You did what you thought you could do." Alfred said quietly.

"I shouldn't have taken him off duty. It just made him worse." Bruce smiled sadly. "I should have let him stay, he loved what he did. But when I put him back on it, he tried even harder than before to do his best for me. If I hadn't left him alone this wouldn't have happened..."

"No need for you to beat yourself up about it," Alfred replied. "He did what he thought he had to do." He walked towards the limo. Batman watched him leave. Turning back towards the grave, he sighed. It was his fault and it would haunt him for the rest of his life.

He stared at the freshly replaced earth. He knelt down and stared down at the grave. "I'm sorry," he whispered to himself quietly. He scooped a fist full of earth and let it slip through his fingers. He let himself remember all they had been through, and what a fine young man the boy had been.

He had caught him trying to steal the Batmobile's wheels. He had sent him to a school for troubled boys. He had then discovered that the school for boys was actually a place where they were being taught to be criminals. Together they had exposed the school for what it was and brought Ma Gunn to justice.

The boy had proved to be an enthusiastic student. Eager to learn and improve. But he was also flawed. His life as a street thief had skewed certain perceptions of right and wrong. Although he had tried to help the boy, old belief systems were hard to change, and they would often clash over morals and ethics.

The climax of it all was when the boy had tracked a foreign national, Felipe Garzonasa to his apartment. He had raped a woman and drove her to suicide. Rumors claimed he had murdered him by pushing him off the balcony to his death.

Batman had taken him off active duty, claiming that the boy had violated the code of ethics he had taught him. Bitter and angry, the boy had stomped off to his old life, where he discovered his mother was not really the woman who had raised him.

He eventually found her and he had gone off to Ethiopia to find her. They had been reunited for a short time before the Joker showed up and beat the boy half to death. It was over before Batman could get to him. And it was all his fault.

Rising to his feet, Bruce turned around slowly. He began to walk away from the grave, leaving the Gotham cemetery behind him. He turned back to take one last look at the grave. Sighing heavily, he turned around and walked away.

"We should be going now, Sir," Alfred called from the limo as he stood waiting for Bruce to return. He climbed into the back seat without a word as Alfred started up the car and drove in solemn, respectful silence, back to Wayne Manor.

He left the grave behind him, the sun shone brightly, mocking him with its warmth and light. The light flashed shadows on the grave. The grave of Jason Todd, Robin II. A life lost in horrible tragedy...
Sign up to rate and review this story