Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Fifteen: Advancements

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Wow. Sorry about the hiatus everybody, had a summer job to work through, along with moving in to my new place. Updates'll become regular again, now that things are back on track. For those of y...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-09-08 - Updated: 2006-09-09 - 4043 words

0Unrated



"More," Jung growled lowly as he pressed his hand firmly to the ground beneath him.

Enlai looked towards his fellow rider, an exhausted sweat coating his skin as he held another boulder.

Feng hesitated, the scar across his face burning softly as sweat trailed its edge. His deliberation was broken by another growl.

"More," the Demon insisted again.

The former bandits exchanged glances, nodding before each stacked another boulder atop the warrior's back.

Feeling the pressure of the additional weight, Jung lowered his chest again, halting as it hovered inches above the temple soil. Slowly he pushed again, bringing himself back up to his original position. The mask stared coldly at the ground as he commanded more weight be added to his back.

The priests watched from along the edge of the temple grounds, their chores delayed by the display of the Demon's training session. The crowd filled with murmurs and the exchange of rumors.

"An intense exercise," Chin-Hwa noted as he stroked his beard, stepping out from the temple interior.

"Hmph," Min grunted, folding her arms as she watched the display with narrow eyes. "Pushing himself too hard, he still needs some rest."

The old noble smiled, appreciating not the irony of the statement, but of the one issuing it. "You surprise me, Min. I assumed that you of all people would understand his motivation."

The old woman glanced up at him suspiciously, wondering as to what his point was.

"The body will only rest as long as the spirit will allow. A passionate spirit will push the body far beyond the standard measure."

She turned her attention back towards the Demon, considering the words before grunting once again. "Hmph."

"Madame Min, the tea you requested me to watch is finished," a priest stepped out holding a kettle. She had not so much requested as commanded, much to his irritation.

"About time," she muttered as she snatched the kettle from his hand, waving it out towards the three as she cupped her hand around her mouth, yelling. "Hey! Time for a break!"

Jung pushed himself up yet again, the two bandits looking towards the old woman nervously. She had enlisted them both the morning prior to help make tea.

Both had become well acquainted with her temper. So much so, that they had dubbed her "the Tea Demon."

The Demon lowered himself again, paying little heed to her words.

"Hey!" she yelled out, storming towards them. "I said to take a break!"

Enlai and Feng glanced down at the Demon, then towards the oncoming Min. Both considered carefully which one would be safer to defy.

Jung tilted his back, feeling the stones cascade off, dust rising as each hit the ground. He breathed deeply as he stood, gazing down at the aggravated old woman standing before him.

She glared up at him with a stiff upper lip, holding up the kettle and pointing towards it with her free hand. "When I say to take a break, you stop."

The two bandits glanced quickly towards the Demon, curious as to his response.

There was an awkward silence as the warrior stood before her, her stare not faltering for a moment.

"...Hmm," he nodded slowly.

"Good," she muttered, her attention turning towards Enlai and Feng. "You two! What're you just standing around for?! Go help the old hog monkey with the rhinos!" she waved her hand towards the rhinos, "old hog monkey" being the name she had recently assigned to Gang.

"Y-Yes ma'am!" Enlai stood at attention before hurrying towards the rhinos, slowing to talk to his partner. "Man, I thought we were gonna get some tea."

"Our arrival here was not one of peace. We shall do all we can to make penance for the mistakes of our past," Feng explained as he continued towards the rhinos, hardly perturbed the old woman's commands.

The former bandit glanced towards his partner, grinning at his attempt to be stoic. "Is it that, or are you just afraid to share tea with two Demons at once?"

"...Quiet," Feng muttered after an indignant pause.

"Heh, knew it," he folded his arms behind his head confidently as the two continued towards the rhinos.

"Stop pushing yourself so hard," she muttered as she sat in the shade.

"We need to be prepared, in case he returns." His counter had the sound of reserved explanation as he sat beside her, looking out over the temple grounds.

"What good are preparations if they break you?" she argued before taking a sip from the cup.

He turned his head away from her, tilting his mask back as he took a careful sip from the cup. Readjusting the mask, he faced back towards the grounds.

"I will slow if it becomes too much," he surrendered the point, setting the cup back down.

Where a statement of victory was expected, there was none. Min simply stared forward, embarking on an awkward quiet between the two.

He turned his attention towards her slightly, disturbed at her untypical silence.

"We brought all of your belongings from the cave here," she started as she gazed sternly forward.

"I'm grateful."

"Everything is here. There's nothing to go back there for."

The mask turned towards her, now curious as to her meaning.

"You're a hero, in Bai-Jing. They still gossip about you in the tea house," she snorted softly, humored by the fact.

"Wen Lan has told me."

"...Stay in Bai-Jing."

A sudden and powerful silence passed between the two, the mask staring down at the old woman in cold confusion.

"...It would be best for you to be closer to Wen Lan."

He turned his attention back towards the temple grounds. The notion of staying in Bai-Jing, close to the one he loved, was more than appealing yet carried with it the worry that such actions were too forward.

"My place is among the mountains, guarding over the valley."

"Every morning I gather up ingredients for the tea," her response seemed to completely ignore his. "Sun has whined every day for the last few years that I'm getting too old for it."

The mask tilted towards her again, uncertain of her point.

"You can stay at the tea house and gather ingredients for me in the morning. That way I won't have to listen to her complain at me every morning."

"My place is in the mou-"

"I'm old," she interrupted.

Silence.

"I don't have the energy I had when I was younger...I can't walk as far as I used to. And my hands..." she glared down at them, as if disappointed.

His attention turned towards her hands.

"They hurt," she spit the words softly, hatefully, narrowing her eyes. "Always, they hurt."

Slowly, he looked back towards the temple grounds.

"I will stay in Bai-Jing."

She looked towards him, her expression slowly altering from one of surprise to relief. "Good," she answered softly.

"Hmm," he remained stoic, lifting the cup of tea.

"So," she smirked as she faced forward, lifting her cup to take a sip. "Have you kissed her yet?"

His body twitched as his hand tightened, shattering the cup as tea drenched his hand. He remained rigid, completely stunned by the old woman's forwardness.

"Yeah, you kissed her," she grinned knowingly as she lowered her cup again.



"Admiral Kano, welcome back. They await you in the war chamber," the guard bowed as he greeted the admiral, stepping aside to allow him entry.

"My thanks, my thanks! I trust all has been well since my departure?" Kano approached excitedly, smiling as he greeted the guard. His wounds had been treated, some bandages marking areas of his body that still needed time to mend.

"Yes sir," the guard nodded.

"Splendid, absolutely splendid!" he nodded as he entered the war chamber, smiling in greeting towards the other commanders of the Fire Nation army. "Greetings, one and all!"

His excitement was greeted in cold silence, his brethren already well aware of his defeat.

Undaunted, Kano made his way to his seat. Looking over the map before him, he brought his finger towards a defeat marker near Kun valley. "Ha, I see someone's already taken the liberty of marking the result of my battle!"

The flames at the far end of the room grew taller.

"Admiral Kano," a powerful voice called out slowly. "Have you any excuse for wasting the resources of the Fire Nation on an endeavor we were constantly hesitant to support?"

Kano's cheerful visage was broken by the voice, as he bowed his head obediently. A slight smirk remained on his face as he narrowed his eyes at the memory of those he fought. "Only that I have successfully gauged the enemy's resources, and return with the most valuable of commodities, Fire Lord Azulon. Information and insight."

"You will share them now, so that we may evaluate whether your failure was as grievous as your lieutenants have described," the Fire Lord glared angrily towards the arrogant admiral, his poise remaining calm.

"Of course, my lord. I have eliminated our initial target." He made careful note to kill his lieutenants later.

"The butcher Dak-Ho has been dealt with, then?" A general turned his attention towards the admiral.

"Slain by my own hand," Kano smiled, entertained by his own lie.

"You were asked to secure him as a prisoner," the general glared as he spoke lowly.

"It could not be helped, he saw fit to resist until his survival was no longer an option," the corner of his mouth grew as he slipped out of the confrontation.

"Enough," the flames grew briefly, the Fire Lord irritated by the failure to follow instruction. "What else have you discovered?"

"The dreaded Demon of War," his expression faded from one of cunning satisfaction to disappointment, annoyed that the Demon had survived his treachery.

The other commanders turned their attention towards Kano, intrigued by this.

"I have discovered that he is no spirit, but rather, a man. One that can be cut, one that can bleed. More importantly, one that can be burned," he grinned slightly as he imagined the scene, the Demon lying before his feet, writhing as flames clung to his body.

"What else have you to report?" the Fire Lord sat attentively, his eyes narrowed as he awaited any further news.

"A powerful and disciplined opponent, one who may prove to be a definite threat to the Fire Nation in the future. A general named Seung."

"Enough," the Fire Lord interrupted the thought. "You will not waste our time with a personal vendetta against an opponent who defeated you."

Kano's eyes narrowed as he bowed his head again. "Yes, my lord."

"Admiral Kano," an old general asked from the far end of the table. "Based on the outcome of the battle of Kun Valley, what course of action would you recommend?"

There was a quiet pause as the other generals listened. Kano had been the one to recommend the initial invasion of Kun Valley. It was he that had argued time after time for its consideration. Quietly, the commanders hoped that the defeat had taught him a well deserved lesson in humility.

"I would recommend a second invasion, with twice as many soldiers."

There were mutters if disapproval as the commanders reacted to the suggestion.

"You must be mad," an admiral grunted, turning his attention back towards the map.

"You lead hundred of our own soldiers to death, and then ask for more?" another quipped, folding his arms.

"Insulting," another muttered.

"Enough," the general closest to the Fire Lord stated, stroking his beard.

Obediently, the war chamber became quiet as Kano glared. This particular speaker had been the first to disapprove of the initial invasion proposal.

The general turned his attention towards the other commanders.

"The Kun Valley is a peculiar place. It is cradled by treacherous mountains and a river that is impossible to navigate without being discovered by scouts."

Every word carried a torturous sting to Kano.

"If we were to conquer Bai-Jing, it would not provide us with any advantage. We would be trapped in an area unfamiliar to us, vulnerable to any retribution the Earth Kingdom would see fit to answer with. You are correct admiral, the area has advantages. But only to the Earth Kingdom."

The statement had no insult to it, yet brought Kano to clench his teeth.

"This village is not occupied by soldiers, but civilians and nobles. It is much like the Demon of War. It will do nothing to bother us, so long as we avoid provoking it."

"So you intend to conquer the Earth Kingdom, save this village?!" Kano snapped, making no effort to restrain himself.

There was a nervous quiet in the war chamber as the other commanders looked towards the Fire Lord.

"You misunderstand, admiral. Someday, we will have reason and resources to invade the Kun Valley. For now though," he turned his attention towards the Fire Lord. "It is my recommendation that we avoid it."

Kano glared at the general, his attention broken as the Fire Lord spoke out to him again.

"Admiral Kano. No second invasion shall be mounted. You shall remain here in the Fire Nation until your wounds have healed, at which point you will be dispatched by my order. Furthermore, you will apologize for your outburst here and now." His tone had a hiss behind it, one of offended aggravation.

The admiral glanced from side to side, the eyes of the other commanders upon him. Slowly, he lowered his head, staring hatefully towards the table below him. The opponent he had always hated had defeated him not with flame, but with words alone.

"My apologies, general Iroh."

The Dragon of the West nodded his head, smiling softly. "It is fine admiral, I take no offense."



"You're sure you'll be able to find your way?" Chin-Hwa looked up towards Feng as they reached the crossroad.

"I am sure. We are grateful for your concern," Feng nodded his head to the old noble from atop the rhinoceros.

"I wish you well, then. Should you ever find yourself in Bai-Jing, you shall be welcomed in my home," Chin-Hwa nodded his head politely as he smiled.

"Thanks!" Enlai waved at Chin-Hwa as his rhino passed Feng's, a kettle of tea strapped proudly to its side.

With a nod of his head, the former bandit bowed his head towards Chin-Hwa, his rhinoceros tearing down the path as he dug his heels into its side.

"Do you think they will be alright?" Seung stepped up behind his old friend, watching as the two rhinos made their way down the path.

"I suspect they will," Chin-Hwa smiled as he turned towards the general, walking along the forest path. "And what of you?"

"Hmm?" Seung walked alongside the old noble, not understanding the question.

"Something seems to have been weighing down on your mind, these past few days."

"Ah," he looked towards the path ahead of them. "Now that my men have had the time to heal, I've had time to consider the challenges of the future."

"The return of the Fire Nation," Chin-Hwa guessed, tilting his head up.

"...Yes."

"You cannot let such things trouble you, old friend."

Seung turned his attention towards the old noble, curious as to his meaning.

"Since I have known you Seung, I have been aware that you train each day, exercise your mind and body, even if only slightly. Something that your soldiers have taken to doing as well."

"I believe it is best to begin each day with the proper foundations."

"Yes. And I feel it is for that reason that you will rise to each challenge. Even that of the Fire Nation. Do not let your worries of the future perturb you so much that you fail to appreciate the beauty of the present. Especially when they are challenges you will be well prepared for." There was softness in the old man's face as he looked out towards the trees ahead of them.

The general followed his trail of sight, observing the sunlight as it poured through the leaves above them. The observation quickly grew into admiration as a gentle confidence came to him.

"I suppose you're right," he mused.

"Indeed. I would also advise bringing your soldiers to my estate, tomorrow. I feel that training with Gang will be of benefit to them."

"Due to his being a firebender?"

Chin-Hwa looked towards the general with slight puzzlement. "No. Because the man is insane and will push each of them well beyond their physical limits in the interest of strength."

"Ah," Seung smirked, agreeing completely with the statement as he glanced back towards the party trailing behind them.

Gang laughed as he stroked the rhinoceros's side, Xiu scolding him as Min rode atop it, arms folded and staring forward defiantly.

He noticed a sudden change in Xiu's expression as she noticed him through the corner of her eye. A soft blush came over her face as she trotted quickly behind Gang, a hand on his shoulder as she peered out towards the general.

The sheer sweet innocence of this action brought his cheeks to flush as he admired her features, turning back towards the path ahead with a gentle smile.

"We will expect you sometime in the morning then," Chin-Hwa smiled knowingly.

"What're you hidin' from?" Gang looked over his shoulder towards the typically outspoken girl.

"Quiet," Xiu whispered, still blushing.

Min glanced down, studying the scene before looking ahead towards the old man and the general. After a brief and quiet deduction her eyes lit up, her face warming with what lay before her: another match to be made.

"Hidin' from your boyfriend?" the old man teased as he made kissing motions towards her, laughing as she smacked him in the back of the head.

"Boyfriend?!" Min's eye lit up as she began her assault.

"He's not my boyfriend!" Xiu protested, her face growing redder.

Gang leaned in towards the rhino, patting his side as he explained. "She starts blushin' every time she sees him."

"Shut up, stop telling the rhino stories!"

"Don't call it 'the rhino,' he has a name!"

"Eh? I thought 'Rhino' was it's name," Min looked down at the beast, who proceeded to snort loudly.

"What're you naming it?" Xiu raised an eyebrow curiously.

"Easy! 'Boots'!"

The two stared at him with disdain, Xiu breaking the silence with a calm and polite point.

"That's the stupidest name I've ever heard."

"Why would you name it 'Boots'?" Min inquired. In her mind, the beast was still named "Rhino."

"Because that's his favorite snack," Gang tilted his chin up, giving an air of superiority in regards to his naming skills.

Xiu glanced down at the old bodyguard's feet, only now noticing his lack of footwear.

"Dumb hog monkey," Min muttered, breaking the pause.

"Tea Demon," he grumbled as he patted Boots' neck again.

The rhino nodded its head towards Gang, jutting its tongue out to lick his hand.



"Admiral Kano, did your meeting in the war chamber go well?" the lieutenant stood at attention as Kano boarded his ship.

"Lieutenant, did you give information in regards to the outcome of the battle of Kun Valley?" Kano stared at the soldier, his composure rigid and frustrated.

"Why, yes sir. I-" the words bled into shrieks as Kano bathed the lieutenant's head in a stream of flame.

"Ah, that relieved quite a bit of my pent up anger. Can't have me becoming cranky, that benefits no one!" the admiral smiled as he explained to the writhing lieutenant.

"I assume the meeting did not go well, sir?" another soldier asked calmly, having been witness to seven lieutenant executions by Kano's hand. It was for this reason that he never made any attempt at gaining a promotion.

"Indeed! So poorly in fact, they've refused to grant me the resources necessary to capture Bai-Jing!"

"My apologies, sir."

"Why, at this rate, no one will ever force dear general Seung to watch as all those he protects are murdered before his very eyes! I ask you, where is the justice?"

"Unfortunate, sir. I assume we will be giving up in our pursuits to capture the valley, then?" There was a hint of hope in the soldier's voice, wanting very badly to gain the opportunity to transfer to another unit.

"Oh, by no means! Just because the Fire Lord has forbidden it does not mean we will heed his orders!" Kano smiled warmly towards the soldier, the treason of his implication having no weight on his manner.

"...Sir?"

"Not now though, certainly not. I'm sure there are multiple eyes on me, making sure I play nice. Soldier! Take a message on my behalf!"

"Yes, sir?" the soldier stood at attention, still not quite sure what to make of Kano's intentions. "Who am I to make this out to?"

"The only one I would entrust to act as my own hand!" There was an exclamation of pride in Kano's words.

The soldier felt a terrifying stillness as his mind began to suspect to whom it was the admiral was referring.

"My pupil," Kano smirked.



"So you will be living in the tea house?" Wen Lan smiled as she walked alongside Jung, far ahead of the others.

"Yes," he smiled gently towards her. They were far enough ahead that he was comfortable removing his mask.

"That is excellent, I think you will enjoy it," she smiled as she looked forward. "Will you miss your cave?"

"No," he stared forward, his mind sorting through the worthwhile memories, finding none but those shared with her. "The only good to have come of the cave was the time spent with you."

The young noble blushed, her hand lifting to brush some hair aside.

"In Bai-Jing, near you...I will have that, still. There is nothing to miss." He blushed faintly.

"...There is one part that will always stand out to me," she reminisced.

"Hmm?"

"Each time, when I would return to Bai-Jing...There was an outcropping of rock that would cut off my view of you as I walked down the path. Each time, just before it divided us, I would look up to you." She blushed again, her eyes trailing to the path as she smiled.

He smiled at the memory, very familiar with it.

"I will always remember it, and appreciate the memory."

"As will I," he noted.

There was a quiet between the two as she looked up at him, smiling.

"The Fire Nation will return," he stared forward, his expression looking distant.

"Yes, I suspect they will," she nodded softly as she fought off the memories of his wounded body.

"...I will train harder than I have before, each day. So that I never cause you to worry like that again."

There was sweetness in the notion that brought elation to her heart, her face warming. Looking towards him, she smiled confidently.

"We shall protect this valley."

"Yes," he nodded, grinning gently.

The two continued on, the conversation turning to stories and legends of the two nations.




"Sir, this message arrived for you a few moments ago," a soldier presented the paper to the young man, bowing before making his way back down the garden path.

Kazuki opened it carefully, his long hair hanging freely. He smiled pleasantly at the contents, turning to make his way back towards the interior of the estate. He frowned as he noted a bit of dust on his clothing, concerned that such an imperfection should be permitted nowhere near his person. Brushing it off, he continued along.

As he entered the interior, his subordinates looked up from the edge of the garden. The gaze of each was fixed upon the message.

"What is it? An order?" the largest of the group grinned hopefully. His huge axe remained strapped to his back, ever ready to charge into action.

"Now Iwao, what have I said time and time again? Patience is key."

"I know, I know! But I want action!"

"Then you're in luck, loyal warrior." Kazuki grinned, waving his hand gracefully as flames began chewing away at the message's edge.

The other members of the group looked up towards him, listening carefully.

"Dear teacher Kano has a task that must be fulfilled."
Sign up to rate and review this story