Categories > Movies > Harry Potter > Draco Malfoy X Katherine

Chapter 2

by The-Nerd-Extremist 0 reviews

Summary: Years of Hogwarts spent with a fascination for you. I finally had you, but then you lost me. Now HE has you and we’re all going to die. ~ Draco Malfoy

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2017-08-21 - 4902 words

0Unrated
∞ Chapter Two ∞

Katherine grew older, and her powers did indeed grow stronger through the binding cuffs, however she could never reach her full potential. She was starting to gain her ability to manipulate larger bodies of elements like fire and water, and she could make small animals appear in misty forms, who often sat around and played with her. She would still accompany Hagrid into the forest and became an unofficial part of the centaur tribe that lived there. They let her in because she showed great respect and willingness to learn their way of life, unlike almost every human they had ever encountered. She would regularly meet with them and they would take her to their living areas and teach her about their ways. Teach them about their history, how they learned astronomy, and how they survived and lived in general. In return, Katherine would be allowed to show them some small things she could do with her magic. She would also help them grow their medicine plants faster whenever she was there, and she would help replenish their water to save them time.

Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore continually monitored her. Sometimes Professor McGonagall would use her animagus form to watch her during the night, to ensure nothing abnormal was happening that would pose as a threat. Sometimes Katherine would wake to see a tabby cat sitting on her window sill, she’d open the window and let the cat in, and then pat it and play with it. Little did she know it was Professor McGonagall.

Soon it was going to be Katherine’s eleventh birthday. She was eagerly waiting for her Hogwarts letter. Whenever an owl flew by she would race to watch it, only to droop again when it didn’t stop by or drop mail for her. She eventually began to lose hope that she would be accepted.

Why would they accept me? I’m dangerous, I’m a threat. They’re just waiting for the chance to get rid of me so I’m not their problem anymore.” The thoughts kept floating through her head, one after the other. It made her feel worse, because she believed that it was true, but they didn’t want her to know or to hurt her.

Provoke me more like it.” She corrected.

Little did she know that they were planning her day out to collect her supplies. She awoke the next morning to a sweet smell. She followed it to the dining table where she found a cake, hand-baked and iced, by Hagrid.

“I hope it turned out well, I took it out real early like ye’ said I should so it didn’t burn.” Hagrid sheepishly said. The cake was covered in a purple icing with green writing on top. It read:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHERINE

“Hagrid, it’s wonderful!” She exclaimed happily, slowing coming over to inspect and admire the amount of effort Hagrid put into the spelling and the legibility of the writing. She sat down whilst Hagrid cut a thick slice for her to eat. He carefully put it on the plate and handed it to her with a little fork. Kat saw that the cake was three layers of chocolate cake, with vanilla cream between each layer. The cake itself wasn’t as rock solid as usual, it was a little over-cooked and burned, but she could put it in her mouth and not break her teeth.

“Well, how is it?” Hagrid anxiously asked. He was hoping that he didn’t turn it to stone like he usually did.

“It’s great Hagrid. It’s not rock solid and it tastes amazing. Thank you Hagrid.” Katherine responded, hugging the half giant and squeezing with all her might. She was trying to give Hagrid a bear hug but she couldn’t squeeze enough. A knock at the door broke the embrace as Kat went to answer it.

“Pardon our intrusion on this special occasion but I believe we have something for you.” Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore prefaced before handing Kat a letter, addressed to her exact location in emerald green ink and exquisite handwriting. Kat took the letter and invited to professors inside. She sat down at her place before carefully opening the letter. Inside was her Hogwarts acceptance letter and a list of things she would need for her first year. It read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
UNIFORM:
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupil’s clothes should carry name tags
SET BOOKS:
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Aresenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble
OTHER EQUIPMENT:
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales
Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad
PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS


Katherine squealed with joy, her face lighting up even more, and she bounced around in her chair.

“Is this real? Am I really accepted as a student now?” Kat questioned, still doubting whether or not they would really accept her because of how dangerous she could be.

“Yes Kat, you are now officially a student of Hogwarts.” Professor Dumbledore answered, slowly, but happily. “Which reminds me. Hagrid, shouldn’t you be getting along now and taking Katherine to Diagon Ally to buy her things?” Dumbledore continued. Katherine turned to Hagrid excitedly, bubbling with happiness and overjoy.

“Are we really going to get my things today Hagrid?” She asked eagerly.

“Yes, as soon as I find yeh’ keys to yeh’ vaults.” Hagrid said, digging around in his big overcoat pockets for the keys.

“Keys?” Kat puzzled.

“Yes dear. You see, because neither of your birth parents had any remaining family members to pass their vaults on to, you gained access to both.” Professor McGonagall explained.

“I have money?” Kat questioned again.

“Yep. And I found ye’ keys so we can be off now. But yeh’ might wanna get a little dressed. Unless yeh’ wanna go out in yeh’ jammies.” Hagrid announced, holding the two skeleton keys on a single chain. He handed the chain with the keys attached to Kat, and she rushed off to her room to get changed.

Professor Dumbledore gave Hagrid a Portkey. Katherine returned wearing some home-made clothes. She had learned to sew partly from Hagrid and partly from the Centaurs, so she had found material and made herself a rather colourful and odd looking dress. But she liked it and it wasn’t going to break so it was good. Her hair was pale aqua and in two pony tails, one on either side of her head. Her eyes were black and white with gold and silver flecks, and she was carrying her messenger bag (which she had also made for herself).

“I’m ready to go Hagrid.” She said, tucking the list of items safely in her dress pocket. She attached the chain with the skeleton keys to a ring on the inside of one of her dress pockets, to keep them attached to her and safe. Dumbledore explained the Portkey to Hagrid and Kat, then they disappeared from view and were suddenly surrounded by an outside area out the back of a restaurant.

“Where are we Hagrid?” Katherine asked, looking around at her new surroundings with keen interest. She had never been anywhere else but the hut, the forest and the castle.

“We’re out ‘ter back of The Leaky Cauldron, a wizarding place ter’ eat food and stuff. Good food.” Hagrid explained whilst getting out his umbrella. “Three up, two across.” He muttered whilst tapping bricks on the wall, three bricks up, two bricks across. “That should do it. Stand back.” He said once he had finished. Before their eyes the bricks were shuffling and moving of their own accord, reforming themselves into an archway. The archway opened up into a whole new area called Diagon Ally. This was a wizarding community area, with streets here there and everywhere, filled with wizarding shops for all your possible supplies. There were book shops, brookstick shops, animal shops, a wand shop, shops for buying robes, anything you could possibly need to attend a wizarding school, it was here.

“This is amazing Hargid!” Kat exclaimed, grabbing hold of Hagrid’s hand as he led the way to Gringotts, the Wizarding Bank. They stepped inside and Katherine couldn’t believe her eyes. The entire place was filled with Goblins, all working with stacks of Galleons, Sickles and Knuts, some of them even had rare and precious gems that they were counting and recording. They got to the front desk and Hagrid spoke again.

“Vaults 166 and 294 please.” He said sternly, but politely.

“Do you have the keys for these two vaults sir?”

“I have them both.” Kat interjected, pulling up the chain and showing the goblin the keys. It examined them carefully before sitting back in its chair and speaking again.

“Everything seems to be in order. Griphook, come here!” The goblin barked, which caused another goblin to come scurrying in response. “Take these two to vaults 166 and 294.”

“Yes sir. Please follow me.” The goblin, Griphook, stated before walking off towards one of the many doors. He led them to a small cart and they all got in. The cart then hurtled through the maze of tunnels of its own accord, until it stopped abruptly at a vault door. Griphook got out and held a torch over the door and found the keyhole.

“Key please.” Griphook said. Kat pulled out the keys and gave them to Griphook. The goblin looked at them both, before deciding on one and using it. The door lock clicked several times before opening, the door swinging wide on its hinges, revealing masses of galleons, sickles, and knuts.

“This was yeh mother’s vault, 166. Cause she sorta worked a little undercover for the Ministry, she got paid a little more for each job she did. That’s why it’s full. She never really spent ‘er money.” Hagrid informed Kat’s shocked face. Shocked to see so much money. Hagrid helped her fill some bags to last her at least till the start of school next year. Then they closed the door again and Griphook handed Kat the key, which was still in the lock.

Vault 166 – Mother’s” Kat focused on the key which was held firmly in both hands. She focused on engraving this thought onto the key, so she knew what it was for. After a few seconds her hands grew hot, glowing a fierce white before settling and cooling again. She opened her hands and looked at the key. The thought was engraved upon it, in very neat and eligible writing. She put the key back on the chain before getting into the cart again and whizzing off to the next vault, number 294, her father’s. After a few minutes being jerked around sharp corners and up and down many times the cart stopped again outside another vault door. Griphook got out, shone the torch on the keyhole and asked for the key again. Kat gave the goblin the second key and stepped back, ready for the door to swing open again. Inside this vault, however, wasn’t just filled with money. It had weird looking artefacts, strange vials of swirling liquids, and a massive enchanted cage in the centre, suspended in the air by glowing chains.

“This was yeh father’s Kat, nasty man when ‘e turned to a Death Eater ‘e was.” Hagrid said, looking sickly from the cart rides. He was leaning against the wall.

“What’s in the cage Mr. Griphook?” Kat politely asked the goblin. It didn’t answer her, so she looked at Hagrid. He shrugged. Kat turned again to face the doorway, and went inside. She walked past all the shelves, stacked full of the weird and wonderful objects that she didn’t have time to observe right now, walked past them all to the cage suspended in the middle of the vault. The chains were glowing a soft red colour. Katherine put her hand out to the lock on the cage and it began to change colour in the glow, from red to a light fairy pink. She touched the lock and it clicked. She looked back at Hagrid and the goblin before pulling the cage door open to reveal what was inside. Swinging the door wide open, she revealed a small shadow in the corner. It moved slightly, as if it were breathing.

“Hello?” Kat softly whispered. The creature moved a little in response. A lump, probably the head, lifted from the rest, aimed at Kat. “I’m not going to hurt you.” She reassured the thing. “Do you wanna come out with me?” She carefully asked the creature. She could barely see it the cage was so dark inside, but the creature moved again. It was getting up and moving towards the open door, but it collapsed in a heap and made a groan.

“Here, let me help you.” Kat said, carefully putting her hands and arms inside the cage to retrieve the creature. When her fingers made contact with it, her entire body stiffened slightly. It felt scaly and dry. The creature stiffened too. Kat could sense its fear. She put her second hand underneath the creature and felt sharp claws and more scales. She carefully lifted the creature out of the cage and into the light and saw what it really was.

“Blimey, it’s a dragon Kat!” Hagrid whispered in awe. He had always wanted a dragon. Kat carefully put the creature to the ground and stepped back a few paces, giving it space to acclimatise to the new surroundings. It was black all over, the scales shimmering faintly in the light. Its wings were crumpled and torn in some places, and the dragon had deep scars all across the body. But they had all healed, so they must’ve been done a while ago. The dragon was skinny, and bones could be seen through the skin. It obviously hadn’t been fed in a while either. It opened its eyes and looked around, blinking a few times from the light. The eyes were a beautiful emerald green, shining in the light. The dragon roared a little and began to cough. There were no teeth, but empty slots for all of them in the gums.

“What happened to you buddy?” Kat whispered, crouching and edging closer to the poor creature. It shrank back a little and Kat held out her hands, saying that she wasn’t a threat. The dragon leant forward and sniffed her hands, then began to lick them. Kat moved her hands to cradle the dragon’s head and the creature leant into it, a low rumbling sound resonating from within the dragon’s chest. Kat moved closer and sat down, the dragon coming to rest in her lap. She noticed the dragon’s tail. It was supposed to have two fins on either side to help the dragon fly better. But one of the fins had been cut off.

“You poor thing.” Kat cooed, stroking the dragon gently. “I’m going to keep you safe, I promise.” She said to the dragon. It nudged its head into Kat’s body further, snuggling. Kat giggled. “I’m going to name you Salazar. Do you like that name?” Kat asked. The dragon lifted its head and slowly nodded.
Kat picked the dragon up and put it on her back, it curled up and got comfortable and held onto her. Then Kat quickly looked around the rest of the vault. She saw a shelf of books and decided to take five, putting them in her bag. She then found a few other strange shaped bags and decided to grab the biggest one, then she took some of the crystal phials and put them in her bag before turning to the door and exiting the vault, the vault door slamming shut behind her. Griphook returned the key to her and she engraved “Vault 294 – Father’s” onto it before returning it to the chain and into her pocket.

After their adventures inside Gringotts, Hagrid took Kat back to The Leaky Cauldron where they ate. Hagrid had a hearty soup and Kat enjoyed a sweet desert she had never heard of before. She asked the bartender if they had any meat scraps for Salazar, to which he willingly gave them meat scraps. At first Kat started to cut it into smaller pieces, before Salazar bared his teeth.

“Salazar, you have teeth?” Kat questioned, moving closer to inspect them. They were sharp and bright, glinting in the candle lights. They needed a clean though. “We’ll clean you up nice and proper when we get home okay?”

After they finished eating Hagrid was looking much better than when they were in the carts. He took her to Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC. Hagrid opened the door for her and a bell sounded, attached to the door, notifying the occupants inside that they had a guest. Hagrid stayed outside and waited, he knew that wand testing could be hairy.

“Coming.” Came the response in a wheezy voice. A large ladder slid towards them from the back of the shop along a dusty row of wand and stopped at the end behind the counter.

“Ah, Miss Katherine. I’ve been wondering when you’d be coming in to see me for a wand.” The old man rasped.

“Are you Mr. Ollivander sir?” The curious girl asked.

“Yes indeed I am. I knew your mother and father. I gave them both their wands. A mahogany wand with a unicorn tail core, 8 inches, sturdy was the wand that chose your mother. Your father had a wand chose him that was very different. 7 inches of birch wood with a phoenix tail feather core, flexible. Both powerful wands. Both put to very different and powerful uses.” Mr. Ollivander said gravely. “But,” he continued, “I wonder, perhaps, if you should be chosen by a stronger wand?”

“Why do you think a more powerful wand would choose me?” Katherine asked.

“Because the witch is more powerful than average. You are an extraordinary young witch my dear, you are already almost as powerful as a graduating student from a wizarding school. However, with the binding cuffs that’s a different story, but still. You are a very powerful witch and therefore it would seem likely that a very powerful wand will take liking to you. Perhaps, it will be even more powerful than both your mother’s and your father’s wands.” Mr. Ollivander answered.

“Now,” Mr Ollivander continued after a pause, “Shall we see what wand chooses you my dear?” He asked before climbing down the ladder and hurrying over to a shelf three rows to the right, and taking down a wand box. He came back over to the counter and carefully presented the wand to Katherine, who took it gently but eagerly.

“Is it safe for me to try it?” Katherine whispered, slightly scared of what could happen.

“I should think so my dear. Give it a wave.” Mr Ollivander calmly responded. Kat did as instructed and gently waved the wand at the floor. The wand in her hand sparked violently at the tip, and sprouted flames across the floor. Katherine dropped the wand on the counter and doused the flames with water she created.

“I don’t think that wand likes me very much.” Katherine said after the flames were out. Mr. Ollivander agreed, and rushed away to the ladder, climbed it, and pulled out another wand box. Returning again to the counter he presented the wand to Kat, who took it. She waved it again, but this time at the flowers near the door. The flower pot exploded, sending dirt and flower plants flying everywhere. Kat dropped the wand again and fixed the mess she had made.

“Definitely not this wand.” Mr. Ollivander said, turning abruptly and heading down the back of the store. “Perhaps.” He said to himself quietly, pulling out a wand box from amongst many scattered across the back floor, and returning once more to the counter. “Try this wand.” He said, gently lifting the wand out of its case. Kat took it and it immediately glowed a golden colour, the air swirling around her. The wand settled.

“I think it likes me.” Kat said, looking at the beautiful wand in awe. It was 11 inches of a black stained mahogany, with carvings of skulls and bones at the holding end.

“The core is a basilisk fang.” Mr Ollivander said. “It was incredibly hard to get and it is the only wand in the world to be successfully made of it. There hasn’t been a basilisk in centuries, and trying to harvest the magical properties was incredibly dangerous work. This wand is the only wand with basilisk fang as any part of the wand, let alone the core.” He continued darkly.

“Why did it choose me?” Katherine asked, slightly worried. “Maybe the rumours that I’m going to turn evil will come true?” She thought.

“Because, despite the evil look and contents of this wand, it does not want to be evil. Despite the intricate design and the basilisk fang core and the incredible power it contains, it does not want to be evil. That’s why I believe it chose you. Because despite the rumours and how dangerous people believe you are, you do not want to be evil yourself my dear girl.” Mr. Ollivander continued gently. “I, however, did not craft this wand. I usually craft all the wands I sell. But this one was given to me by the creator because he no longer wanted it. The experimenting was too dangerous to create a new brand of wands, so they stopped the experimenting. It has chosen you now, please look after it carefully. It costed many their lives to make it.”

With her new wand paid for and Hagrid happily sharing a cuddle with Salazar, they continued shopping for Kat’s school supplies.

“Last thing now is yeh robes.” Hagrid announced, stopping in front of Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions.

“Can we still look at an owl and maybe look at the broomsticks Hagrid, please?” Katherine begged.

“We’ll get yeh robes first an’ then we’ll see if we ‘ave time. But I’m going the wait outside, I’m afraid I’m a bit big to wait inside with yeh.”

“Okay Hagrid.” Kat said, entering the store alone. No sooner had she stepped inside had a squat, smiling witch had come up to her.

“Ah, here for robes my dear?” She asked.

“Yes, I’m going to be at Hogwarts.” Kat replied.

“Ah, we’ve got everything you could need dearie, come with me I’ll fix you up.” The small witch said. “I’m Madam Malkin.”

“Oh, hello Ms Malkin, I’m Katherine.”

“Pleasure to meet you dear, now will you please stand on this stool for me and stay still.” Said Madam Malkin, before waving her wand. A massive robe fell from above and covered Kat whilst she stayed still. Madam Malkin hobbled around her on the stool, pinning the robes in the right place. Once she was finished she let Kat wait out by the counter before she finished making all the robes she would need. Once they were carefully packaged in brown paper and paid for, Kat re-joined Hagrid outside.

“A’right I s’posse we have time the’ look at some things.” Hagrid said. He took Kat first to Eeylops Owl Emporium to look at owls. They were all beautiful. Kat went straight to the back of the store, where she saw a strange coloured bird. The shopkeeper explained that it was an exotic bird, but it wouldn’t let anybody near it. It took one look at the dragon and squawked really loudly. Kat moved away and looked at a regular brown owl, very fluffy but it also had a very strong beak (as Hagrid found when it bit his finger). She bought it and Hagrid took her around to different shops where she looked at the strange and wonderful things they contained. Salazar was enjoying exploring too, he would sometimes get a little too excited and leap out of Hagrid’s arms or off Kat’s back. But he couldn’t fly so he’d fall to the ground in a heap.

The last shop she wanted to go to was the Broomstick shop. Hagrid left her there because he remembered he needed to get something for himself. Salazar went with Hagrid to keep him company. Kat entered the shop and was suddenly in a heavy crowd of kids, all looking at one brookstick, the Nimbus 2000. Latest racing broom on the market. Kat tried to move around the crowd to the other side of the shop to look at other things when she bumped into a boy and they both fell over.

“I’m really sorry I didn’t see you there.” Kat began stammering, helping the boy up. He was pale and had a slightly pointed face. A man in a black robe with a silver topped cane turned to face the pair. He had long blond hair and sharp blue eyes.

“Draco, be a gentleman. You should’ve been helping the girl up and apologising.” He said sharply. The boy, Draco, shifted his head slightly and responded.

“Sorry, I should’ve been less in the way.” He said, uncaringly. He didn’t sound very sorry. He wasn’t even looking at her. He was eyeing the Nimbus 2000.

“It’s okay, you’re not even looking at me so you couldn’t have seen me coming and moved.” Kat retorted, snapping at the boy. Draco looked at her directly in the eyes this time after being challenged. His face was hard, and he was about to start an argument back when his eyes actually fell on her face. His face cleared and he was stunned. Kat took this opportunity to push past him and examine the books and broom care kits on the opposite wall. Kat came out of the shop and Hagrid was again, waiting for her.

“Yeh bought a broomstick.”

“Yep. But it’s not the Nimbus 2000.”

“But yeh not supposed teh have one it says so on ye-”

“But Hagrid I need it. I need it so that I can help Salazar fly properly again. Besides, I don’t need the racing broom, so I just got a second-hand Cleansweep.”

After a long pause Hagrid sighed and gave in. He pulled out the Portkey and they returned to the hut. Kat took her things and packed them away into her Hogwarts trunk, which was waiting for her on her bed. Salazar was on the ground, slowly trying to walk around and explore his new home.

“Well Kat, time teh’ go.” Hagrid announced.

“Go where Hagrid?” Kat came out of her room looking confused.

“Teh’ the train station. Gotta pick up the first years and take em over the river the’ Hogwarts.” Hagrid explained. Katherine was excited. “But yeh’ need the’ be in yeh’ robes, an’ yeh’ leave yeh’ trunk ‘ere. It’ll be taken up teh’ the castle later.”

Katherine looked happily up to the half-giant, but then her smile faltered.

“Why would my trunk need to be taken up to the castle Hagrid?” The girl asked.

Hagrid’s face fell. He hadn’t wanted it to come to this, Kat leaving to live in the castle. He feared that she would slowly forget him and stop coming to visit or see him again. He didn’t want that to happen. He had grown quite fond and attached to Katherine over the years, and he really didn’t want her to leave.

With a hefty sigh Hagrid explained that she would have to live in her house dormitory in the castle once she got sorted. Katherine didn’t want to leave either, but there was nothing neither of them could do about it, rules were rules.

“I promise I’ll come back and visit every chance I get.” Kat stated, rather forcefully. She felt like she needed to say it forcefully so that Hagrid believed it and took her promise seriously. The proud fatherly figure of her life smiled a sad smile once more.

“Come now Kat, we best be off teh’ the train station for the first years.” He said, a little sad that he’d have to be leaving Kat behind at the castle after the dinner ceremony, but he believed her when she made her promise. He believed, and sincerely hoped, that she would be back to visit him.
Sign up to rate and review this story