Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Occlumency for Dunderheads

by Emilie_D 2 reviews

A Muggle house becomes Hogwarts for a day, so Hermione and Ron can begin learning Occlumency.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-13 - Updated: 2006-09-13 - 2883 words - Complete

1Original
A delicious aroma of coffee and bacon was in the air as Severus and Zelda entered the kitchen. The table was neatly set for five, and all three teens were busy finishing the preparations. They all seemed unwilling to look at the new arrivals, Zelda noted, and she looked ironically at Severus.

"Splendid. It seems you have acquired house elves, darling." Severus said sarcastically. Everyone turned toward him, startled. The teens had not known what to expect, so he gave them a fresh topic for discussion and hoped they could manage to leave him out of it. His head injury still plagued him.

"House elves?" she asked, looking from one face to the other. Ron and Harry were rolling their eyes at each other, and Hermione obviously looked like she had strong opinions on the subject. "Good morning, everyone. It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"

Harry pulled out her chair and seated her, placing a cup of coffee in front of her. She turned and met his eyes, saying mischievously, "Thanks. This is marvelous. Would you consider letting me adopt you, Harry?"

Severus seated himself next to Zelda, rather jealous that she seemed so fond of Potter after one day. It seemed that the boy had grown up quite a bit... since Dumbledore's death, he thought with a stab of grief. Quelling his own sorrow he looked at the boy again. Zelda was a good influence, he thought dryly. It would have been very tiresome to fend off the boy's attacks if she had not been present.

"Who'll tell me about house elves?" Zelda asked them, as they all sat down and began to eat.

Ron glared fiercely at Hermione and said, "They're magical creatures that serve rich wizarding families and do all the work. They can't leave unless the family frees them, by giving them clothes. But they like it! Hermione started this thing called S.P.E.W. to give them rights, but the elves at Hogwarts don't want any part of it."

Zelda's eyes had grown wide, listening to this remarkable tale. "Magical slave creatures!" she breathed, fascinated. "And you say they like it? That's appalling... and tempting to someone who's been the house elf... and awful. Er... can I get one?"

"Zelda!" Hermione exclaimed, horrified. "Wizards do terrible things to house elves," she said. "The Malfoys were horrible to Dobby, but Harry tricked Lucius Malfoy into freeing him, and Dobby's happy now. They should get paid for their work, but they're afraid. They need education and they deserve respect."

"But Winky was freed by Mr. Crouch, and she's miserable," countered Ron. "The elves at Hogwarts are happy and they don't get paid."

Zelda glanced at Severus, her blue eyes dancing, and he saw that she was fascinated by the discussion, much of which was news to him, especially Malfoy being tricked into freeing his house elf.

She didn't notice that they had fallen silent for a moment and were all looking at her.

"I don't really want a house elf, Hermione. I was kidding," Zelda said regretfully. "I don't think... although I could educate one while the housework gets done for me..." She sighed dramatically and said, "No, I guess not." She rose to refill her coffee cup, saying "Anybody want anything while I'm up?" There was no response, so she sat down again.

Harry looked from Zelda to Severus. "We need to discuss what will happen when we go back," he said. "Professor Snape, will you tell us what you can about your plan? Also, please tell us what you can about Horcruxes." He looked intently at Severus and said, "If you're really going to join Voldemort, we won't be able to contact you, so please tell us what you can now." His eyes sparkled. "...Sir."

Hermione was watching Snape intensely, and Ron was looking at Harry as though he had just approached a hippogriff. Zelda sat quietly, watching and listening.

Severus said mildly, "Perhaps Headmaster Dumbledore was right about you, Potter. I hope so. The plan is simple. I am to stay near the Dark Lord, to assist you when you face him. If I can do anything else to assist the Order, without endangering my mission, I will of course do it."

"If it'll endanger your mission, you'll have to let terrible things happen, won't you?" Zelda asked grimly.

"Yes," he replied tonelessly, without looking at her.

She didn't speak again, but looked straight ahead, a sad, faraway look on her face. The chill that settled over Severus and Zelda affected all of them, and the memory of the recent dark days before they arrived at Zelda's house crept into the room. Zelda shook her head irritably and continued, "What about Horcruxes?" she said. "Do you have any idea how he can find them? If he has to find them before he faces Voldemort, you'll be in for a lengthy period playing the Death Eater."

"I do not know what they are, that was not part of my task. I saw result of the curse protecting the Ring Horcrux, however, and it nearly killed Dumbledore outright." Severus paused and rubbed his aching head fretfully. "I am afraid that whatever protects the others may be beyond your ability to deal with. Dumbledore must have believed that the three of you would be able to manage it. You must be extremely vigilant when you find one."

"Severus, if Regulus Black took the Locket Horcrux, where might he have put it? You don't know if he destroyed it or not. But where would he have taken it?" Zelda asked.

Severus had given this some serious thought since reading that scrap of a note. "Potter, have you visited your inheritance recently?" he asked thoughtfully. "Perhaps it is hidden there. Regulus did not live for long after becoming a Death Eater. He may have taken it to his home."

The teens exchanged considering glances, wondering if it could possibly be so easy.

"Any other questions?" Zelda asked Harry.

"Well... yeah," Harry said slowly. "Professor, you told me, when you taught me Occlumency, you said that people who can't control their emotions don't stand a chance against Voldemort." He met Severus's eyes severely. "After this, can you face Voldemort without giving her..." he nodded toward Zelda, "...away?"

Severus was jolted by fear. He had not doubted his Occlumency until now. He looked from Harry to Zelda, shaken. Was he wrong?

"He won't give me away, Harry," Zelda said simply. "Sev..." she held out her hand to Severus under the table, and he twined his fingers with hers, gazing into her eyes. "Never doubt your Occlumency, dear boy... I have no doubts. You're the best."

Severus wrapped his other hand around hers and said in a low voice, "I must know that you are safe."

A tiny smile touched her lips and she said quietly, "No one can do your job but you. Get it done, and then please come back to me."

There was a pause, and as usual, Zelda broke the silence. "I don't think you should hear how they'll proceed on the Horcruxes, dear boy. If you think of something useful, tell them. Otherwise, the division of labor's clear, isn't it?" She sighed and said, "Are you considering going back to Hogwarts, Severus?"

Severus looked cautiously at Harry and said, "Is it absolutely necessary, Potter?"

Harry nodded. "Professor McGonagall should know the truth." He continued, "I'm going back with you to make sure she listens, and you should come back here before you actually go to Voldemort."

"Very well," Severus replied quietly, shocking his listeners by agreeing so easily. "We will go to Hogwarts tonight." He turned to Hermione and Ron, saying, "You must both begin today to learn Occlumency. I hope that Zelda will begin with you, if you agree."

They both nodded, and Ron's look of relief was so blatant that Zelda rolled her eyes. She turned to Harry and said, "Will you help me, Harry? I think it'll go better with you."

Severus sat quietly, still holding Zelda's hand in his. He asked mockingly, "You've disposed of their time, now do you have any suggestions for me?"

"Ah... I always have suggestions, but most people ignore them," Zelda chuckled. "You may wash the dishes."

He began clearing the table, while Zelda led the others into the tidy living room.

"You cleaned up after yourselves, children," Zelda said, with a beaming smile on her face. "I, Zelda the house elf, thank you."

"Now Harry," she continued, "Let's review what we did yesterday, shall we? Hermione, Ron, just watch... not that there'll be much to see, and then we'll explain." Zelda and Harry made eye contact, and she said, "When you're ready, close your mind, Harry."

Harry now found it much easier to close his mind, and quickly achieved the empty state he needed. Zelda reached toward him with her mind and found a firm barrier. She tried to press, to find a weakness, but lacked the experience needed to test him. "Good, Harry," she said. "Go a bit longer, but try not to exhaust yourself."

Zelda turned to Hermione and Ron and said; "Severus will have to test Harry, since I'm too new to this to do it." She said, "Harry, stop now and get us some chocolate, please."

"Do you both understand what Occlumency is?" Zelda asked.

Hermione said, "We know what Harry told us when he was supposed to be learning it last year. You close your mind so a Legilimens can't access your thoughts and feelings."

"That's right," said Zelda, approvingly. "When I worked with Harry I did the opposite, and opened my mind to him. The process of opening your mind will help you learn control, and with practice you'll be able to open or close your mind. There's more to be learned too, but this is where you start." She smiled mischievously and said, "There's trust involved in this. If I open my mind to you, you'll be able to access my thoughts and memories, and if you open yours to me, I'll be able to do the same to you. I'll try not to intrude deeply, and I hope that you'll do the same."

They both looked at her, Ron was obviously doubtful, and Hermione's eyes were wide. "How can you be doing this, Zelda?" Hermione asked. "When Harry took lessons from Professor Snape last year, he had headaches and felt awful afterward. You're doing it differently. Why?"

"Professor Snape learned the way he tried to teach Harry. I don't know why Harry couldn't learn that way, but this is how I learned from Severus."

Zelda continued thoughtfully, "I like it because if it works you'll learn some of Legilimency and Occlumency. Harry also said he'll be more able to do nonverbal spells now. Are you ready to try?"

Hermione looked doubtful, but Ron said, "Okay, let's do it. How do I start?"

Zelda said, "We make eye contact. Try to relax your mind, and then we'll see." She looked into Ron's eyes, inviting him to see her thoughts. He met her mind with a jolt, and began probing to see if she was telling the truth. "I'm not lying, Ron, no secret agenda here," she said in his mind.

"I don't understand," Ron said, not realizing he was speaking directly to her mind. She smiled in response, and his eyes grew wide as he realized what was happening. In his excitement he looked deeper and saw her dragging a filthy, unconscious Snape down a forest trail.

"Don't go there, Ron," Zelda's amused voice said, but already he was seeing Snape cooking, Snape playing a video game with Harry, Snape kissing Zelda... Suddenly the contact broke. He was unable to see her thoughts. He shook his head, disoriented, and looked toward Hermione, who obviously had no idea what he had experienced. Harry entered the room, holding a large chocolate bar, and looked interestedly at them.

"Incredible..." said Ron. "Zelda, I'm sorry, I didn't mean... I didn't know what I was doing. But that was real, wasn't it?"

She nodded, smiling slightly. "You need to work on control, Ron, but you're on the way. Take a minute to think about what just happened, and then try it with Harry. All right, Harry?"

Harry nodded, his mouth full of chocolate. Zelda turned to Hermione and said, "Are you ready?"

Hermione looked very nervous, but nodded quickly.

"It's okay, "Zelda said. "Let me know, just think it, if you want me to quit."

"If Harry and Ron can do it, I can," Hermione said. "Hurry up and do it, Zelda."

Zelda looked into the girl's eyes and saw fear. Without delay she opened her mind, offering good intentions. She allowed her to see the memory of Ron's first experience. Then she thought of singing Karaoke together the night before, and Hermione smiled.

"I'm going to close you out now, Hermione," Zelda said in her mind. "Stay with me and pay attention." Zelda slammed down her thoughts faster than before and stayed that way, feeling Hermione exploring thoughtfully.

"Now, I'll open to you, and you try to do it to me," Zelda said gently, and she waited, allowing Hermione into her mind. Their minds met, mutually opening at the same time, and Zelda stayed on the edge, not intruding. Hermione managed to do it with remarkable control. "Excellent. That's enough," Zelda said.

They both sank back on the couch, looking pale. Harry handed each of them a chunk of chocolate and said, "Eat all of it."

Severus entered the living room, surveyed the scene, and knelt in front of Zelda. He looked at her carefully and reached out with his mind to examine hers. Their joining was gentle, and he said to her, "Try to block me, my girl."

Zelda instantly emptied her mind, as she had just done with Hermione, and held against his pressure for far longer than before. He withdrew, feeling her mental exhaustion, and said, "I wish my actual students showed as much desire to excel. That was impressive. Rest now."

Severus turned to Harry, who slammed down barriers and held him out for a much longer time. Severus quit before breaking through, and looked at Ron, who met his gaze defiantly, but only held out for a few seconds. Still, Severus thought, it was a start, and he knew that Weasley would have the hardest time controlling his impulsive mind.

Last he turned to Hermione, sitting next to Zelda, and stared into her eyes. She flinched, then recovered and hastily emptied her mind, holding him out for a moment. He began to press harder, but stopped, not really wanting to invade the girl's thoughts.

"Sev, she hasn't actually done it before, and we just finished, so let her rest, please," Zelda interrupted gently, closing her eyes and leaning back. "I'll make tea in a minute. Perhaps this is a good time for you all to review the experience." She grasped the arm of the couch and stood up, but Severus put out his arms and enfolded her in a hug.

"Would one of you make tea, please?" He asked, and all three walked excitedly to the kitchen, eager to discuss what had happened among themselves first.

"I thought they would never leave," Severus commented irritably, sinking to the couch with her and kissing her. She opened her mind to him, so he could see what had happened with each of her students. "Take care, my girl," he said, eyeing her narrowly. "You must practice yourself before you exhaust yourself by teaching three students."

"It's a unique opportunity," Zelda replied softly. "Do you know what good cop-bad cop is? I'm an amazing 'good cop,' and you, my dear bad cop, make them offer far more than they would otherwise. Besides, this is a way I can help you."

He tightened his arm around her, trying to grasp that he had someone on his side, wishing him well. The warmth of it... He had never known this before and he felt disgracefully smug.

Zelda leaned her head against his shoulder, "Have I mentioned yet today that I love you?" she asked.

Severus pulled her into his lap, and said in a low, wondering voice, "I know it, Zelda. Your love resonates in my soul. I feel in my bones that I was meant to find you, somehow. You are part of me now and if we had more time I wonder what we could accomplish together."

Zelda opened her mind to him, inviting him to her memory of making love in the back yard that morning. He saw himself through her eyes, felt himself through her body, and re-lived the whole mad interlude with her. A surge of desire washed through them, and Severus no longer knew where he ended, or where she began. There was no separation.

The sound of Hermione bringing a tea tray wrenched them back to reality, and Zelda only had time to slide out of his lap, smooth her dress, and say impishly, "You don't disappoint, Professor Snape."

His black eyes were alight with amusement. "You do not disappoint either, my girl," he whispered. He kissed her lightly and then turned his attention back to the job ahead.
Sign up to rate and review this story