Categories > Original > Fantasy > [untitled]

Beginning of the Afterlife

by Ami-Chan 3 reviews

Samantha, a Young girl from England, moves to a new home after her parents died, a home called 'Matties Orphanage.' A VERY large building with hundereds of rooms and secret corridors. Samantha feel...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2006-09-03 - Updated: 2006-09-04 - 1793 words

0Unrated
"Mother!" The young girl Screamed, She opened her eyes wide, her hands outstreatched groping at the air.

"Samantha! Keep quiet young miss! You gave me quite a fright! Now settle down we're almost there."

The girl named Samantha leaned her head against the rattling window of the carrige, which the rain lashed against violently,and the light was dim on the ceiling of the carrige.

"I had that dream again..." She mumbled, fumbling the black lace of her dress between her fingers.

"Now, Now Sammi, Fret not my dear, I hear Mattie's Orphanage will help you forget all that rubbish." The woman said with a snort, and shifted her large body slightly.

"I don't want to forget my parents Callie!" Samantha cried, burying her face in her hands.

"That's Mistress Callie to you Young Miss! Now, Sit up straight and keep your tongue in check, this place isn't free you know, I don't HAVE to pay your tuition here." Callie folded her thick hands on her lap and stared straight ahead, Her black hair tied back in a tight bun, her brown eyes cold.
Samantha sat up and groaned, her eyes were red from all the crying the past few days, she felt hideous and didn't know how the world could still carry on.

She curled her hair between her fingers, her dark blue eyes staring blankly out the window at the pounding rain, lulling her into a drowsy state.

"Why, Samantha, There it is! Your new home!"

Samantha blinked and averted her eyes to the looming dark mass in the dull rain.

"It's going to be dreadful I just know it, no one ever likes me at school." Samantha pouted,Her bottom lip sticking out.
Callie said mumbled someting incoherent and glanced down at Samantha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't long before the small, horse drawn carrige stopped in front of the large house, the two Bays snorting in the cold.

"My My, It's larger than I expected!" Callie whispered in astonishment as she turned around once she got out, holding her umbrella over her stout frame.

"Come Samantha! Before you get wet! We don't want to be making a bad impression!" Callie grabbed Samantha by the arm with her sausage fingers and pulled her underneath the shelter of the black wire framed umbrella.

"It's ugly." Samantha mumbled, looking up at the dull greyness of the building, It was humongous, with hundereds of windows dotting the sides.

"I told you to keep that tongue of yours in chck, now come on!" Callie pulled Samantha towards the looming black doors.

Callie walked quickly towards the door, which seemed to grow larger as they neared with each step, and Callie's legs being fairly short, it was surpriing that she could move so fast.
As the approached the door Samantha got to notice more of the details she couldn't see before. On the door were huge brass knockers, each looking like a lions head, holding a giant ring in it's fierce teeth. Samantha shivered as she saw on of the lion's eyes glisten. Callie reached her free hand out and grabbed on of the knocers bluntly, and knocked 4 times hard, shaking the doors and making creaking noises throughout the house.
A few moments The right door opened with a creak, and a small face popped out from behind it. A boy around the age of 5, with curly red hair slowly pulled the door open, he watched Samantha with his large,green,unchanging eyes of curiosity, then he blinked and turned around.

"Peter someone is here!" The boy yelled and continued to watch Samantha.

"Shush Simon, We're still trying to get the rest of the childeren to sleep!" A young man around the age of 14 with long brown hair that came down past his eyebrows,came around from behind the door and shoo-ed the little red-head Simon away.

"Hi, you must be-"

"Samantha." Callie intterupted clearing her throat,"The girl's name is Samantha, now where is the woman in charge?"

"Ah yes, Um, she is-You know what? Follow me." He said, clasping his hands together and glancing over at Samantha, knowing now why Simon had stared at her, she was beautiful, her long face came down to a delicate point at her chin, her pale skin looked untouched and her long brown hair slipped past her shoulders as she avoided his gaze,so he didn't notice the redness in her eyes.
He Turned around with a small smile and walked inside the large room.

"This is the Greeting Chamber, This room has access to all the rooms in the house. So if you ever get lost it's always good to be in this place, now there's the library over there, and up these main stairs is where you'll find the floor, and there are 3 more floors, but Madame Mattie lives over here." He said, leading them up the stairs and poining to the areas of where he was spaking of.
They walked quickly down the corridor and Peter quickly turned to the right down yet another hallway. Samantha looked around as she moved quickly over the soft cusion like carpet, she noticed the doors she was passing. They were rooms, and this must have been the girls wing since there were girls in all of the rooms she saw.
Each room seemed to have it's own elaborate style and the roomates all seemed to get along real well, as if they picked a room with their interests and shared only with those like them. The paintings on the wall were paintings of fairies and famous queens and horses.
But,Her eyes lingered on a Unicorn picture, It was painted so well the unicorn seemed to be really moving though the golden spring with fairies and sprites floaing about, the silky main of the unicorn flowed in the wind and bounced with each step The Unicorn's eyes intelligent, unlinke any horse she had seen.
Then Peter stopped so suddenly that Callie did as well, and Samantha, who was watching the painting, ran right into Callie.

"Watch it young miss! This is a nice place you've got here and you'd better treat me with more respect or it's back to the streets with you!" Callie turned to Samantha, waving a stuuby finger at her.

"Sorry..."Samantha blushed and clasped her hands behind her back and looked at her feet. Her bangs covering her eyes.

"This is where Madame Mattie lives." Peter said quckly as he knocked on her door and there was a severe amount of rustling, and Peter stepped back a bit, motioning that the ladies do the same. The door suddenly opened with a rushing swing, it just barely missed Samantha's nose by a few millimeters.
An Older woman who appeared to be in her forties appeared from the door, her hand still on the handle.
Her hair was tied back in what was a tight bun on the top of her head, but her hair still looked like a big gust of wind went through it.
Her Dress was almost as wild as her hair, it was a dark maroon and covered her entire body, it had long sleeves that ended in a point on her hands, which had long and bony fingers with long fingernails that were painted to match her dress.
The woman also had big circular glasses that englarged her already large green eyes.

"Hello there! I'm Mrs. Mattie! Madame. Mattie, If you will!" She said with a crisp luminous voice that echoed down the halls, she shook Callie and Samantha's hands at the same time, making Samantha have to jump slightly in order to catch up with her arm that seemed to be yanked away by the long thin woman.

"Sorry about the mess,I've just been finishing up some papers."

She pointed behind her at the large stack of papers pile up on a small wooden desk, some of the papers had found their was in a trash tin beside the table, and on the floor, and the large queen sized bed, covered with dresses and even more papers and ink.

"Well, anyways, You must be Miss Samantha! Very nice to meet you! Now, Peter." Madame Mattie added as sheturned to the boy.

"Take this young girl to her room." She said with a crooked smile.

"Yes Madame!"He bowed his head slightly then motioned for Samantha to follow.

She walked behind him watching his feet. Her thoughts racing about what this place would be like now that she had seen the inside, and she wondered what her room would look like, would it be as nice as the others?

"So, Samantha, I never go to properly introduce myself."

Samantha looked up at the back of his head as they walked, he flipped his silky hair out of his eyes often.

"No, you didn't, but I didn't either so it doesn't-"

"I'm Peter, 14, 172 centimeters, Male, Favorite color, Blue, and I Love to draw and go on adventures in this house." He said cheerfully, then turned on the spot and stopped in front of Samantha, who stopped just in time before she ran into him, she stepped back a bit then looked down,

"I'm Samantha, 14, 165 centimeters,Female,Favorite Color, Green, and I Love to write and...." She mumbled, her dark bangs covering her eyes again.

"Oh your no fun you just copied mine! you need to make up your own." He stepped to the side, took out a key from his pocket and pushed it in the door beside him with a click, it opened smoothly. Revealing an elaborate room with many shades of green.
The bed had neatly folded sheets and comforters all green.
The bed frame itself was a dark forest green, and the silk fabrics hanging from the ceiling above her bed was a light elegant green.
She gasped and looked at the large desk placed beside the window, it was a dark green with papers piled neatly on it for writing.

"Wow......." Samantha whispered astonished as she slowly walked in. Her black hoop skirt glided back and forth with each step, making her appear to be floating.
She traced her fingers delicatly across the desk, moving towards the seat that was on the windowsill, She ran her fingers over the dark green suede cusions.

"It's wonderful." She sighed and sat on the seat and looked back at Peter.

"I'm glad you like it. Well, I'll be seeing you around. Sleep well!" Peter exclaimed and he bowed and closed the door.
Leaving Samantha alone sitting on her cusions.

She stood up, deciding to get ready for bed, finally excited about what would happen next.

"This place doesn't sem to be so bad after all!" She sighed and begnan to undress hurridly.
Sign up to rate and review this story