Categories > Movies > Star Wars > The Resistance

Chapter One: Nothing

by Studentwriter666 0 reviews

Reylo fan fiction that takes place after the events of The Last Jedi

Category: Star Wars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2018-01-02 - Updated: 2018-01-02 - 1802 words

0Unrated
Chapter One: Nothing

Still panting with exhaustion, her chest rising and falling rapidly, the sweat pooling on her face, Rey stood in shock. Kylo Ren staring back at her, beseachig her with the dark pools of his eyes to accept his offer, to join him. Around them lay the scattered bodies of Snok’s praetorian guard.

She could feel her heart sinking, sinking with the pain that she failed him, with the knowledge that her heart was broken before she had even known or understood her true feelings.

Suddenly the scene vanished, as if wiped away from her vision, and what replaced it was a set of familiar closed lids. His head angrily turning from one side to the other against his pillow. Eyes closed she could see the small movement of his troubled mind turning his eyes; tear stained eyelashes shaking beneath the movement of his distraught sleep. His forehead glistened with sweat, his mouth quivered.

Abruptly his eyes sprung open with hate and fire spewing from his dark irises. “GET OUT OF MY HEAD” he roared, sitting up and reaching out with a tense hand and grabbing her throat.

Liv clutched her throat gasping for breath as she awoke, sitting up in her creaky wood bed on Endor. The connection had been broken as soon as she had awoken, but her throat was still on fire from the constricting clutches of his mind. Her fingers reached up and gently stroked where she had felt his fingers mentally wrap around.

This was why she was afraid, afraid to sleep at night. Although Snok’s death had indeed severed their connection, at night, when her mental shields were down, she could feel him. He wasn’t always asleep, at times training with his lightsaber or sitting in silent contemplation. She had never been able to enter his mind again since that day, but she still was there. Never able to catch him in a decisive moment to help The Resistance, and now Rey feared she now never would. She hadn’t known he knew she was there. He never gave any indication, even as he sat silently at his desk, fingers clenching and unclenching around the arms of his chair, the leather of his gloves straining. She would hover with her mind just in front of his face, close enough to feel his hot breath on her lips. Looking into his agonized eyes she would reach out in her sleep with everything she had, with every ounce of power she felt within her from the force to get inside, and yet she had been barred. Now she knew, he had been there with her the whole time.

She shook with the knowledge, thinking what that could possibly mean, when the door of her small room suddenly crashed open with a thud.

A furry figure ducked into her doorway and cried out.

“Yes I’m sorry Chewi, I must have fallen asleep. Is General Organa still expecting me?” She wiped the sweat from her brow, getting out of the small bed and throwing on a woolen cloak.

Chewbacca cried back at her before turning around and beckoning for her to follow him.

Rey rolled her eyes with a smile, grabbing lukes retrieved lightsaber, now hers, and tucking it into her belt before rushing out to join Chewbacca.

It was raining outside in the canopies of the abandoned Ewok settlement that the remnants of The Resistance had taken up as a hideout. The wood was rotting and many of the small homes had to be rebuilt, but it had begun to feel like some semblance of a home a month after the few members of The Resistance left had escaped Crait aboard the Millennium Falcon. They had been chased at first through the planet's atmosphere by the First Order, before being able to jump to lightspeed.

Rey looked up at the towering treetops, rain trickling past the leaves and falling onto her face. It was a sensation she was still getting use to after the dry sands of Jakku. She pulled her hood on and rushed to catch up with Chewbacca.

*
“Something has been troubling you.” General Organa stroked her chin while clutching the end of her cane.

Rey looked away, unable to meet General Organa’s eyes. “I’ve told you everything General.” Rey sat opposite Organa, her legs crossed atop her chair. The two were situated in the largest room of the abandoned settlement, now the meeting place and headquarters of general Organa.

“You have, yes. But despite all that has happened, despite Luke’s passing and our retreat, I cannot help but feel that the heart of your troubles lie with what transpired with Ben.”

Rey looked back into the aging generals eyes before her vision blurred with tears. “I told you what happened. I lost him. He belongs to the dark side now. I should have known it wouldn't be possible.” She wiped away her tears with the back of her arm. “There was nothing I could have done. Nothing.” Her voice lowered to a whisper. “I come from nothing. I am nothing…” Her mind echoed his words.

Organa, placing her weight upon her cane slowly arose from her seat and walked over to the nearest window, her back to Rey, as she looked out at the rain and the familiar surroundings of her youth. “Have I ever told you about my father?”

“Darth Vader? Yes I’ve heard about him. He was a Jedi who betrayed the Jedi order and joined the Si -”

“Yes, yes, we all know that story. But did you know he too came from nothing? The son of a slave on Tatooine. He did not even have a father. He was borne from the force but was raised with nothing, in nothing, and amongst nothing. Anakin was lured to the dark side, not only by his inner weakness but through fear. He feared so strongly of death, the death of his mother, and later the death of mine; this then drove his mind to be twisted and warped. But, he was not lost, he never was. It took years and Luke to bring his back to light.” Organa turned to meet Rey’s gaze. “You are not nothing, and I can’t explain your continued connection to my son…” she bent down before Rey and gently grabbed her hand, holding it securely between her own, “But Rey, I believe that the force brought you two together for a reason, and I believe it is in you, like it was within Luke, to help return Ben to the light.”

Rey bent her forehead to meet Organa’s, closing her eyes with the matronly intimacy of the moment.

*

Ren paced forward and back in the large chamber aboard the Star Dreadnought, the homebase of the First Order’s Fleet. The chamber was lined with sleek black and packed full of high ranking officials in the army, including General Hux.

Suddenly his voice, a booming base, shook the chamber. “Snok once spoke to me of a signal, emitted from the outer unknown regions of the galaxy. This signal, first discovered by Darth Sidious, was almost pinpointed before his passing. It is where Snok hailed from, and it is where I will now travel. It is the source of the the dark side of the force. Upon my return I will have brought with me the full force of the dark side and perhaps find allies whom we may need to quelch the last of the damned resistance.” He stopped his pacing and faced his subordinates. “In my absence I leave general Hux in charge.”

A small murmuring broke out amongst the officials. It was no secret that Kylo Ren and General Hux had had their disagreements as of late.

Kylo lowered himself onto Snok’s former throne. “Now leave us.” He eyed Hux to stay.

The chamber slowly emptied along with the dull noise of marching boots. Hux, watching the procession leave, stepped forward toward Kylo as the last of the officials left. His arms linked behind his back, he bowed for Kylo to say his peace.

“I trust you will keep the First Order along its intended path, and finish off the last of that thorn in our side lead by my mother.” Ren grumbled.

“Of course.” Hux replied, still surprised about his new status in the army.

“The Jedi Order once believed that Darth Vader was part of a prophecy. A prophecy that spoke of an individual, strong in the force, that would bring balance to the force. It was believed Darth Vader was that individual, but he brought destruction to the force.” Kylo smirked, “As he should have. But I now believe that one member of the rebel resistance, the girl, Rey, is that prophesied individual. I want her captured.”

Hux bowed, “We will destroy her in your absence master Ren.”

“No!” Kylo growled, standing up and looming over Hux. “No,” he repeated more calmly, “you will capture her.”

“But sir, that would require we isolate her from the rest of the resistance.”

Kylo placed his face inches from Hux, “You will do as I say. You will capture the girl and imprison her until I return.”

“But-” Before Hux could utter another word he buckled to his knees, clutching his neck for air, a gurgling sound escaping his now blue lips.

Kylo released him and turned, returning to sit on the throne.

Hux collected what dignity he had left, stood, straightened out his suit, and bowed again at Ren, before turning on his heal and marching out of the room.

*
Kylo starred in the mirror at himself, eyes focusing on the puckered red scar slicing down his cheek and to his neck. He glowered. She had been getting stronger at night. At first, it had been a faint tickle at the back of his mind, then he could feel her at the edges of his being, hovering over his shoulders, peering into his eyes, lips inches from his own. He hadn’t wanted her to know he felt her, it kept him in control, but last night, last night he had felt her mind prying into his dreams, nightmares, a frightened boy fending off his master, the searing pain of a lightsaber on his cheek, the feeling of a warm hand in his, and then the rejection of her dark eyes as she refused to join him. He couldn’t lay there and let her see in, he had to throw her mind out.

An angry heat rose in his chest before he let out a roar of rage and threw his fist into the glass of the mirror. “NOTHING!!!” he roared again, sending his fist into the mirror again and again, “NOTHING!”
Sign up to rate and review this story