Categories > Cartoons > American Dragon: Jake Long

Alcohol Consumption Can Cause Alterations In The Architecture And Function Of The Developing Brain

by RyePhillips20 0 reviews

I use this blog for finding out Alcohol consumption can cause chang

Category: American Dragon: Jake Long - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2018-02-16 - 617 words

0Unrated
Alcohol consumption can cause changes in the structure and function of the blossoming brain, which continues to mature into an individual's mid 20s, and it might have repercussions reaching far beyond adolescence.

In adolescence, brain development is defined by dramatic changes to the brain's architecture, neuron connectivity ("circuitry"), and physiology. These changes in the brain affect everything from developing sexuality to emotionality and cognitive ability.

Not all parts of the adolescent brain mature at the exact same time, which might put a juvenile at a disadvantage in certain circumstances. The limbic areas of the brain mature earlier than the frontal lobes.

The way Alcohol Alters the Human Brain
Alcohol alters an adolescent's brain development in several ways. The repercussions of underage drinking on particular brain functions are discussed below.
Alcohol is a central nervous system sedative. Alcohol can appear to be a stimulant because, to begin with, it suppresses the portion of the human brain that regulates inhibitions.

CEREBRAL CORTEX-- Alcohol reduces the cerebral cortex as it works with information from an individual's senses.

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM-- When a person thinks of something he wants his body to undertake, the central nervous system-- the brain and the spinal cord-- sends out a signal to that part of the body. Alcohol slows down the central nervous system, making the person think, communicate, and move slower.

FRONTAL LOBES -- The human brain's frontal lobes are necessary for advanced planning, creating ideas, making decisions, and employing self-discipline.

A person may find it tough to manage his or her emotions and urges once alcohol impairs the frontal lobes of the brain. The person may act without thinking or may even become violent. Drinking alcohol over an extended period of time can injure the frontal lobes permanently.

HIPPOCAMPUS-- The hippocampus is the portion of the human brain in which memories are created.
Once alcohol reaches the hippocampus, a person might have trouble recalling a thing she or he just learned, such as a person's name or a telephone number. This can take place after just one or two drinks.
Drinking a great deal of alcohol rapidly can trigger a blackout-- not having the ability to remember whole events, like what exactly she or he did the night before.
A person might find it tough to learn and to hold on to information if alcohol harms the hippocampus.

CEREBELLUM-- The cerebellum is important for coordination, thoughts, and attention. Once alcohol goes into the cerebellum, an individual may have difficulty with these skills. After drinking alcohol, a person's hands might be so shaky that they can't touch or grab things properly, and they may fail to keep their balance and tumble.

HYPOTHALAMUS-- The hypothalamus is a little part of the brain that does a remarkable variety of the physical body's housekeeping tasks. Alcohol frustrates the operation of the hypothalamus. After a person drinks alcohol, blood pressure, appetite, thirst, and the urge to urinate intensify while body temperature and heart rate decrease.

Alcohol in fact cools down the body. Drinking a lot of alcohol outdoors in cold weather conditions can trigger a person's physical body temperature level to fall below normal.

An individual may have difficulty with these skills once alcohol goes into the cerebellum. After drinking alcohol, an individual's hands may be so unsteady that they can't touch or grab things properly, and they might fail to keep their balance and tumble.

After a person alcoholic beverages alcohol, blood pressure, hunger, being thirsty, and the urge to urinate increase while physical body temperature levels and heart rate decline.


Alcohol in fact chills the body. Drinking a lot of alcohol outdoors in cold weather can trigger an individual's body temperature level to drop below normal.
Sign up to rate and review this story