Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Boys And their Toys

by Emilie_D 1 review

Severus tries a spot of male bonding, Muggle style.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-18 - Updated: 2006-09-18 - 2589 words - Complete

2Original
Zelda was very subdued for the rest of the morning, so Severus did not mention soul bonds any further. After breakfast, she practiced Occlumency with him. She became remarkably adept at limiting his access to her whole mind, causing him to wonder again how a Muggle could be so talented at magically controlling her mind.

"You are uncommonly quiet," said Severus, studying her worried face. "Come and rest."

He led her out to the hammock, where he lay down and settled her comfortably next to him - and she fell quickly into exhausted sleep. She felt so right, even her head fit perfectly between his neck and shoulder. It was easy to forget that he had not known her just one week earlier. He knew they ought to talk, but she was worn out by her mental exertion and he wanted her to rest.

Severus eased out of the hammock, leaving Zelda to her sleep. He looked around at this place he had come to. The summer days were much warmer than at Hogwarts, and the brilliant blue sky seemed full of endless possibilities. He walked through the house and went out to sit on the shady front porch, filling his mind full of every memory he could gather. He had been happy, he believed, every moment here. Zelda had helped him to deal with Potter and his friends; in fact she had helped him to teach them more effectively than he ever had. He wished the Headmaster could know that he and Potter had achieved some understanding. Zelda's love had helped Severus let go of some of the anger and bitterness that had burdened him for so long, making room for... joy.

"Hey, Severus. How's it going?" A man's voice jerked him out of his reverie.

Michael! Severus groaned. He felt completely unable to manage social niceties with this man. "Hello, Michael," he managed to say.

Michael, with dogs in tow, strolled up to the porch and settled into a chair, beaming at Severus.

"Where's your lady, Severus? You two aren't tired of each other already, are you?" he asked cheerfully, as he settled his hounds.

His lady! Severus was ridiculously delighted at realizing that Zelda was indeed his lady. He relaxed a little, hoping that since Michael knew he had a lady, there would be no uncomfortable... overtures.

Michael eyed him for a moment, then chuckled and said lightly, "Relax, Severus. If you're not interested, you're not. It's the story of my life, you know. But Zelda's a happy girl with you, and I wouldn't change that. She deserves some fun."

Severus was somewhat unnerved. He wondered if all the Muggles here were capable of Legilimency. He had to say something, so he said, "Zelda is taking a nap. We were up late last night."

"That's okay; I wanted to talk to you. Where are the kids?" asked Michael, glancing around.

"They are out exploring," Severus replied smoothly.

"That's fine," said Michael, "because I wanted to talk to you alone. Zelda's a grown woman, but I don't want to see you hurt her," he explained. "She's been hurt enough. She'll kill me if you tell her, but I guess I'm asking you what your intentions are toward her."

Severus wondered who this Muggle thought he was, to be questioning him, but controlled his immediate outrage and applied Legilimency. Michael's brown eyes were easy to read, and Severus saw concern and love for Zelda there, along with mischievous curiosity and below that, deep loneliness. He pulled back abruptly... he had no wish to invade Michael's privacy and saw clearly that the man had no sinister motives.

"What did you just do?" Michael snarled dangerously. "Stay out of my mind! Who the hell are you, Severus?" His eyes narrowed suspiciously... he had felt Severus's subtle probing of his mind.

The dogs leaped up, dancing nervously for reassurance in response to Michael's anger, and the moment he spent soothing them gave Severus the chance to decide.

"I am sorry, Michael," Severus said, looking directly into the man's eyes. "I needed to know your motivation and I see that you are honestly concerned about Zelda." He drew a deep breath and continued, "I am not a chemistry teacher and it was pure chance that Zelda found me when I needed help. I must leave here soon, but if I am able to return, I have asked her to marry me."

"And how did she respond to that question?" Michael asked with a knowing smirk, his anger fading.

Severus smiled ironically. The man obviously knew his Zelda well. "I will convince her, when it is time."

Michael studied him intently. "You didn't say who you are. It's not likely that Zelda would discover a criminal or a spy... or maybe, knowing her, it's just what she'd do. You interest me, Severus, but my main concern is Zelda. Will knowing you endanger her?"

"Yes, possibly," Severus responded. He had seen that under the light-hearted surface was a tough-minded man, who cared deeply about Zelda and needed honesty more than reassurance. "I shall do what I can to protect her before I leave. I did not intend it, but she is at risk."

"What can I do?" Michael asked. "I'll help you to keep her safe." He saw Severus raise a curious eyebrow and said, "You wonder why I'm offering?"

"Zelda and I have had other things to talk about besides her friends," Severus said. "I do not believe you know what this entails, and I think it wiser if you forget this entire discussion. I shall make sure of her safety."

"Where you come from, do people walk away when a friend is in trouble?" asked Michael coldly. "I'll be keeping an eye on Zelda - whether you like it or not, but I'd like some idea of what we're up against."

Severus had not meant to insult this man, who only wanted to help Zelda, and he realized sourly that he shared many of the prejudices against Muggles that were prevalent in his world. He decided to take a small chance, knowing that he could Obliviate Michael if he was wrong.

"Can you leave the dogs out here? I'd like to speak with you inside." Severus said.

"We'll put them in the kitchen, they're used to it. Zelda takes care of them for me sometimes, you know," Michael said. He led the way through the house, found a large bowl in cupboard and filled it with water, which the dogs began to slurp noisily. As they were about to close the kitchen door, the white cat leaped jauntily through, ready to play with her guests.

Severus smiled at the gentle chaos of Zelda's house. Her happy acceptance of life was in complete contrast to his own life, and her home felt rather like a children's playground to him, where all kinds of innocent things were possible.

They entered the living room and sat down, and Severus watched Michael closely as he said, "I am a wizard, Michael. Where I come from we are at war, and if Zelda is discovered the danger to her will be magical and deadly."

Michael gazed thoughtfully at him, and said slowly, "Are you prepared to prove it?"

Severus drew his wand and blasted Zelda's television screen into shards. He met Michael's eye, and then repaired it. The television stood as if untouched.

Michael looked horrified at the casual power of Severus's demonstration, and then chuckled reluctantly. "Good example. She hates TV, you know."

Severus smiled. "She has remarkably good taste." He waited for the reality sink in to Michael's mind.

"Can you do that to people too?" asked Michael, his voice steady and calm.

"If I must," Severus said, matching his tone.

"And are they like you, these enemies of yours? Michael asked. He was silent for a moment, and asked, "What about the kids? Zelda's so-called nephew and his friends?"

"Magical," Severus replied briefly.

"Well... I can't do magic," Michael said. "What would happen if I shot a wizard?"

Severus was startled. "Er... Do not miss," he said. "Do you own a gun?"

"I collect them. I've also taken Zelda shooting over the years. She loves it and she's a natural, but she refuses to have a gun in her house," Michael said.

"I know nothing of guns," Severus said, intrigued. "Would you show me?"

Michael was surprised. "Now?" he asked. "They're all at my house."

"Just a quick look, if you don't mind," Severus said. "Can your neighbors see into your back garden?"

"No, I have a privacy fence around it," Michael said.

Severus rolled his eyes and said, "I cannot believe that I am doing this. Visualize a clearing in your garden and look at me."

Confused, Michael pictured his back lawn as he had seen it an hour ago. He was startled when Severus grasped his arm and suddenly they were there, in his yard. He recovered quickly, saying, "This way. We should try to get back quickly, I suppose."

He led Severus into his basement, where he had two large gun cabinets, and then gave him a crash course in various kinds of guns and their uses. His guns were gleaming, deadly and all perfectly maintained.

Severus was amazed. "Is this all legal, according to your Muggle government?" he asked.

Michael shrugged. "We go through endless debates, but, yes, mine are all legal. I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon too. Not everyone who carries a weapon bothers to do it legally," he said, "If we had time I'd take you out to try it. I have a piece of land up north, that's very isolated, where I go to play with my toys."

Severus, his curiosity stimulated by the Muggle weapons, was eager to try it, and suggested, "We do have time Michael. Choose the weapons that you wish to take with us, and then visualize an open space there."

Michaels's eyes lit up and he laughed. "Magic. I wish I could do it, man." He pulled out a small nylon bag, put two handguns and some other things into it, and they were off.

They were suddenly in a quiet clearing in the forest, in brilliant sunshine. A small house was nearby, which Michael glanced at briefly, before leading him away from it. There were targets up at the far end of the clearing. He showed Severus how to load the gun, and quite casually placed several shots in the heart of the target figure.

"May I?" Severus asked. He had watched Michael carefully, and managed to hit the target, but was not even close to Michael's precision.

"Impressive," Michael said. "And you've never shot before?"

"I never touched a gun before this," Severus said. "I never needed to, but this is quite fascinating. Wizards generally think of Muggles as pathetic and powerless, I suppose, but I see that your defenses are not as bad as we think."

"Do wizards pay attention to... what did you call us, Muggles... when we have wars? We've caused a hell of a lot of destruction and death, Severus," Michael said pensively. "Hey, we should go back. Zelda won't be too surprised if she wakes up and finds us gone, and the girls in her kitchen, but she may think you've gone over to the other side." He smiled mischievously.

Severus smiled faintly, feeling a little safer and able to appreciate the man's absurd humor. "Do you ever stop, Michael?" he asked curiously.

"You're obviously not gay, if you have to ask that," Michael answered, as he packed up his toys. "It's fun to make you a little nervous, and at my age, I take my fun as I can get it. You seem like a decent guy, and I don't think you'd hate me because I'm gay. I'm a tiny bit annoying, however, and not everyone appreciates that." He grinned. "Zelda likes you too, and I trust her judgment. Does it bother you?"

"Less than I thought it would," Severus said. He remembered too well what it was to be hated, merely 'because he exists.' "Are you ready?" He held out his arm, Michael grasped it, and they Apparated back to Zelda's living room.

They went to the kitchen, Michael to check on his beloved pets, and Severus to check on Zelda. She was still asleep where he had left her.

They returned to the living room and Michael sat on the couch with a dog curled up on either side of him. Severus sat in a chair with the white cat rubbing against his chest.

"A gun may help as a last resort, Michael," Severus said seriously. "But if you missed, it would be the last mistake you would make, and I do not wish to think what would happen to you. As well, if you made your shot, you would then have to deal with your police."

"I know. It would be a last resort, and God knows, I don't want to do it," Michael said grimly. "But I was a sniper in Viet Nam, so if I shoot, I won't miss."

Severus looked at him with increasing respect. He felt that no protection was enough for Zelda, but he felt better knowing that Michael was aware of her situation.

A door opened in the back of the house, and a second later, Zelda walked into the living room. She stopped in the doorway, taking in the situation, and smiled fondly as the greyhounds leaped up to greet her. "Michael. What a lovely /surprise/," she said pointedly, petting the excited dogs.

"Just having a chat with the magic man here," he responded, snickering as her eyes flew to Severus in shock.

Severus was amused by her shocked expression, and his amusement seemed to soothe her anxiety. "Come here, my girl," he said with a smile, brushing off the cat to make room in his lap for her.

Zelda sighed, tired of stress and worry. She relaxed against him and said, "I have to believe you know what you're doing, Sev."

"You didn't say that I know what I'm doing, Zel," Michael said mockingly.

"If you can't say anything nice..." she said, curling her lip. "I'm tired Michael, but I'm glad to see you two having fun. Um... how much fun are you having?" she asked mockingly.

"I showed him my gun collection," Michael said, smiling, "and then we went shooting up north."

"Severus! You Apparated with Michael?" Zelda sat up and looked reproachfully at him... not just shocked, but also deeply jealous. "You've never done it with me."

He looked apologetically at her. "It was necessary, my girl," He put his hand to her cheek and kissed her mouth tenderly. "If you can think of any place better than this, we'll go there now."

"Oh Severus, am I your first Muggle?" Michael gushed. "I'm so flattered!"

"Shut up, Michael," Severus said coldly, watching as Zelda deftly hurled a pillow at the man's head. "No wonder Zelda throws things at you. I could hex you, you know that."

Michael smiled benevolently at them and said, "I'm going to leave you two sweethearts alone now. Come on, girls," he said to the dogs, which had followed him adoringly to the door. "Will I see you again before you leave, Severus?"

"I don't know. Possibly... Stay out of trouble, Michael," Severus said repressively.

"I'll see you later, Zel," Michael said, blowing a kiss at her. "Have fun, children." The door closed behind him.
Sign up to rate and review this story