Categories > Original > Humor > The Nut Job: A New Hero

Welcome To Liberty Park

by MaxTV1234 0 reviews

A 17 year old Human named Alex Hunter is transformed into a squirrel by a mysterious being in order to bring back Alex's true happiness. Alex will make new friends, new enemies, and become a hero o...

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2018-04-14 - 4823 words

0Unrated
I open my eyes slowly only to find myself in a weird place, the atmosphere was smooth and calm. The room I was in was entirely white, much to my confusion. I looked around, trying to find out where am I. I then looked at my hands and saw that I was human again. In case of who I looked like, I have black hair, blue eyes, wearing black sweats and a white sweater and and my red scarf, and I wear red and white shoes. While I was looking at myself, I forgot about how did I end up in here in the first place.

"Alex." I widened my eyes as I heard someone calling my name. But that's not what surprise me, what surprise me is that voice. It felt so familiar. I turned around and saw a woman with black hair with a ponytail wearing a cyan button-up shirt and brown pants. Her skin was white and had blue eyes and she had a white coat on and was wearing black hi-heels.

"Mom?" I widened my eyes to see who it is. I thought that she's...she's...

I started to tear up and ran to her, hugging her while crying. "Mom! Your alive!" She hugged me back and look at me with a warm smile.

"I'm so glad to see you again Alex." I couldn't believe it. How could this..I mean.. Suddenly, she let go of me and gave me a kiss on the forehead. She then started to walk off before looking back at me.

"It's time to wake up Alex...a new life has just begun for you." I became confused of what she meant by that. Before I ask her, a bright light emerge from behind her, this caused me to cover my eyes.

"Mom? Mom!" I tried to call her out but she answered back to me. Suddenly, the light started to grow bigger, swallowing me whole.


Dream Ended

I woke up with a jolt, sweating of what I just been through. So it was all a dream huh? And I guess that she's still gone. I let out a sigh before realizing that I was still a squirrel. Okay so what I happen back with those rats wasn't a dream as well.

"Oh, you're awake!" Who said that? I turned around to see a squirrel coming to the room.

It seemed that squirrel is a female do to its size. She had a pink flower pin on her left ear and her fur color was white and her eye color was green and also saw that a rubber band wrap around her tail, wonder what's up with that? She became surprised to see me awake.

"Oh you're awake, I was so worried that you wouldn't wake up." She rushed to my side and started to touch my forehead. I became surprised to see a squirrel talking, but then again, I heard that rat talk to me last night, at least, I thought it was a dream, but never mind that, I'll roll with it for now

"What's going on? And how did I end up in here?" I asked her.

"Oh you see, I was coming home last night when suddenly I found you on the ground unconscious and your back was starting to bleed so I bandaged it all up. I even brought you here to my home so that you can rest peacefully." I guess that makes sense. I looked at her with a stern look and ask her something.

"Why..would you..save me?" I asked her. She became surprised for me to say that.

"What do you mean 'why did I save you'? I couldn't see you die back there." I made a surprise expression for her to care about me. Normally people just ignore when I either get bullied or hurt. I made a sad look on my face thinking about those times I had back then..as a human.

"Are you okay? You look pretty sad." She noticed my expression as she felt worried about me. I quickly got rid of my sad expression and made it a emotionless expression.

"I'm fine." I got up but my back was still in pain, so it was hard for me to get up. She sat me back down to relax.

"No, your back is still hurt, so it's best for you to rest up." I thought for a while and decided to do that for her. She then grabbed a cup full of water and gave it to me. I was surprised to see a squirrel holding a cup for her size, wait...actually, it was just a leaf with water on it.

"Here ya go, this will make you feel better." She gave it to me, I accepted it and drank the water, it tasted like regular water.

"Thank you..um.." I didn't get her name, so I don't know what to say to her. She must've noticed of what I was trying to say.She smiled and introduced herself.

"Oh sorry, I forgot to introduced myself, I'm Flonne." Flonne? That's..a beautiful name. Wait, did I say that aloud?

"So um...thanks for saving me I guess." She smiled at me for the compliment. "Oh it was nothing..by the way, how did you end injuring yourself?" She asked. I let out a sigh and explain everything to her, but not about me transforming into a squirrel and I was originally human, I only talk about some rat gang and flying away with my scarf and then getting hit by a tree real hard. She became shocked for me to say rat gang.

"Oh my, well thank heavens that you're okay. You could've been killed back there." Wait, does she know about them?

"So you know those rats?" She nodded her head and explain.

"You see, normally, anybody who encountered them would either to be eaten alive or come back injured badly." Well thank god that I survive from them.

"You know I'm kinda surprised you fought back..that was pretty amazing. Say, who are you anyway?" I guess she wants to know my name. I guess that's alright.

"Alex Hunter." She became surprised for me to say my name. I became confused of why she was surprised.

"What? Is there something wrong?" I blink her eyes and smiled nervously.

"Oh no, it's not that, it just that your name is kinda a nice name." She complimented my name? Why is she being so nice to me?

"Anyway, what's up with that stick?" I turned around and saw that she was pointing at my bamboo stick. I panicked and realized that if she found out that I was a human, she might think I'm insane.

"Oh that..that's just a...stick I found last night, I don't know anything about it." She's seemed to but it as she smiled as she understood what I meant.

"Oh..I see, well anyway, I'm just glad that you're safe." Flonne smiled happily at me. You know, she's pretty cute when she's smiling. Wait, did I say that aloud?

"Say um...you know, it's kinda strange." I became confused of what she meant by that.

"Hmm...what do you mean?"

"Well it's just that I never seen you before in my life, as a matter of fact, I don't think I ever seen you in this park before. So where are you from?" I panicked as she was cornering me. I tried to think and came up with a lie.

"You see..I live here in Oakton, but my parents died when I was young, so I was taking in an orphanage, but no one adopted me, so when I turned seventeen, I left the place and wandered lost from that alleyway." I lied to her, but it would seem Flonne seems to have took the bait as she became sad of what I said.

"Wow, I'm so sorry for your parents lost." I became a little sad as I remember about my life. I didn't care about my dad because I never knew him, but my mom..I let out a sigh and decided to let it go.

"So anyway, where am I?" I asked her. She smiled at me and told me where we are.

"You're in Liberty Park, a national park here in Oakton." Liberty Park? This place...it brings back some good memories in my past. She walked over to me and let other hand, is she trying to help me get up? I grab her hand..I mean paw and got back up, my back still hurts but I think I can manage. We left the room and enter what it appears to be a living room and a kitchen.

She took me outside of her home and walked to the hole on the tree. Once we got out, I saw the outside world and became amazed to see it beautiful when the sun is up.

"Welcome to Liberty Park." I became amazed but I still didn't smile because..well, I mean I'm impressed and all..but don't want to smile because..I never smile in my life before...not since...nah, just forget it. "Come on, I'll show you around!" She grab my hand..I mean, paw, and walked over to a wooden cart and vines. It seemed to be a elevator. We walked to the elevator and Flonne grab a hold of the vine and started to go down of the tree.

We finally arrived on the ground and I have to say, who knew that squirrels could invent something like an elevator, I guess they learn that from humans.

"Come on this way!" Flonne took my hand as we headed over to..somewhere. It took us ten minutes to get to what it seems to be a town. It was a bunch of trees, holes, and bushes. But it seems many animals go around buying some stuff and talking to each other. I looked around and saw many groundhogs, chipmunks, mice, and squirrels as well. I was never interested in talking to any of them as I covered my mouth with my scarf.

"So anyway, what do you think? Welcome to Oak Town." I became confused of the name.

"Oak Town?" I asked repeating the name she said.

"Yep, it's been here since the park was first made. People come around to either to stay in a motel, eat, shop, or just hangout." Huh, that's actually..okay I guess. She walked to one of the markets and started talking to a chipmunk wearing goggles on her head, and it was made out of wood. Okay, what is up with that? I decided to see what's up with that and go see what she's up to.

"Hey Maya, how you doing?" She spoke to the chipmunk whose name is Maya. She scratched her head and let out a big smile.

"Aw, just doing fine Flonne, just introducing my new latest invention to everyone here in Oak Town." She said by putting her paws on her hips. Wait, did she say invention?

"Oh wow, what is it this time?" She asked excitedly. Maya walked out of the market and introduce us what appears to be...something. But, how could we miss this?

"Allow me to give you..the Nut Masher 3000." She called it. The Nut masher what? She then pulled out a rope and it appears to be that rope open a capsule that contain a ball in it. it was rolling around a pathway that was made out of twigs. The ball continued on its way until it hit a hammer. The hammer bang on the nut, cracking it in half.

"TA-DA!" Flonne became excited to see her invention work. But I was unimpressed of how she did it.

"That's impressive but..." I grab another nut and bang it on the ground, cracking it open. Flonne and Maya became surprised to see how I did it.

"You could've at least crack it like that." Maya became angry at me. I'm guessing because I just ruined her invention.

"Why you little...look I know others people do that, but I make these inventions so that people don't have to do hard things these days alright?!" I..guess she has a point.

"Sorry." I apologized to her, which she accepted but then she raised her brow at me.

"Say who are you?" She asked. Seriously, she's asking my name now?

"This is Alex, I found him unconscious and badly wound, so I healed him up." Flonne introduced her to me. Maya put her paws on her hips and made a serious look at me.

"Names Maya Chipmunk, nice to meet you." What's up with these names?

"And my name is Alex Hunter." I shook her hand which she joyfully shook.

"Oh, Maya, Alex here is new to Liberty Park, so I'm going around showing him the place." Chip became surprised to hear that I'm new around these parts.

"Oh, so you're new here, I see...well, good luck with the tour...oh, and just so you know..." She gave me a stern look. "Never! Ever! Make fun of my inventions! Ever! Got it?" I looked at her with a serious expression.

"Very well. I won't make fun of your inventions." She then smiled happily and smack me on the back, causing me to wince. "O-oh! What just happened?"

"Good, glad were on the same page. Well, I hope we meet again Alex. You too Flonne." She then walked away back to her booth. I ignore of what just happened as me and Flonne explore more of the area.

"Sorry about Maya...she's really like making inventions and doesn't want people to ruin them like what you did." That explains a lot.

"Well anyway, I'll show you around." She grab my hand and show more of the town to me. There was a hotel, which was a large tree. "This here Hotel Oak, people come to rest up from travelling. It's a very nice place, you should come and sleep at this place if you want." I'll think about it.

Next she showed me an underground hole that leads to a diner, which people go to hang out. I wasn't that type of person to chat or talk to people, never in my entire life. Next, she showed me more of the marketplace, where they sell nuts and other stuff they could find around the park.

"This here is Liberty Market, which of course, we already been here before, but I'll explain it to you. You see, this marketplace was the first to build here since the day Liberty Park was build. It sells many stuff, like nuts, water, and other items you can have." Huh..maybe I could get some next time.

It looks like it was the end of the tour because it seems that there's no where else to explore. Flonne looked around the place, as if she was looking for something.

"Is there something wrong Flonne?"

"Well, I was just making sure I showed you all the places...but then I realized that there's one more place that I have to show you, come on Alex!" She ran ahead of me, much to my surprise. I ran after, you know, for a squirrel, she sure can run fast, but then I realize that she's running on all fours, I decided to do that as well and pursue her. But while running, I accidentally bumped into something. I shook my head and look to see what did I just bumped into. It was a groundhog wearing a black jacket and has spiky hair and has a short goatee, I was confuse of a groundhog is wearing a leather jacket, which is kinda weird, but I didn't pay attention to that.

"Hey, watch it pal!" He told me angrily.

"How about you watch where you're going." I told him sternly. He glared at me angrily for what I said.

"Oh yeah punk?" I glared at him back darkly, trying to intimidate him, also grabbing my bamboo stick. It look like we were about to fight until Flonne stopped us.

"Alex! Jake! Stop!" We turned to see Flonne blocking each other from our fight. "Listen guys, don't fight each other, besides fighting is never the answer." I look at her and she seemed to be serious about it. I decided to listen her as I let go of the handle of my wooden sword.

"I'm sorry Flonne." I apologized to her. She accepted my apology.

The groundhog became confused for her being with me. "Hey Flonne, do you know this guy?" He asked.

"Yeah Jake, he's a new friend of mine, besides, he's been injured by the rat gang last night, so he's in no will to fight anyone." She told him sternly. The groundhog known as Jake rubbed his head in embarrassment.

"Oh man, so sorry about dude, sometimes, I always get angry when people either threatened, or try to punch me or my bros and sis." He apologized to me.

"It's alright, I'm sorry for what I said." I said bowing to him.

Flonne let out a sigh and made a smile at us. "Well, at least you guys don't try to fight each other again alright?" We nodded our heads in agreement. I became confused of how does she know this guy.

"Hey Flonne, do you know him?" I asked trying to make sure.

"Oh yeah, that's Jacob Bruiser, but everyone calls him Jake. He's the oldest member of the Bruisers, the strongest animals in the park, and he's the leader of Liberty Park's Bike Gang." I became surprised to hear this groundhog is a Biker, how is that even possible?

"Yeah that's right, I looked around in search for tough people to join the Bruisers." He said in a happy tone. I guess this guy is really like this when he's not being threatened.

"So anyway, what are you doing here Jacob?" She asked him.

"Oh you see, I was just taking a stroll that's all, I also heard that Maya made a new invention, so I came to see her." Okay seriously, how do animals do that all this stuff humans can do?

Oh, okay, well it's nice seeing you, oh by the way, this is Alex." Flonne introduced me to him. He smiled happily at me.

"Well I hope we can become good friends." He then opened his paw in front of me. I looked at him like he wanted me to shake his paw. I decided to do that and shook his paw slowly until he shook my paw real fast, causing me to be dizzy.

"Well anyway, I better get going, see you guys later!" Jacob then ran off back to Oak Town. Flonne look at me with a happy expression.

"You know, I think you two would be great friends." Friends? Since when did I first hear that word? It's been so long since I hear that word and I never had a friend in my life before.

"Is something wrong Alex?" I widened my eyes in surprise as she realize my expression. I looked away from her and covered my mouth with my scarf.

"It's nothing." I said ignoring her concerning expression.

Flonne smiled warmly at me and said "Well then, come on let's go, there's something I want to show you!" She grabbed my hand and took me to a very tall tree. Once we arrived there, I became...amazed. I saw the entire place. I saw an old abandoned Mill, another real large tree, but this one was clearly an oak tree, I even saw Oak Town. This place..is feels so nice. We sat down on the ground and look at the place.

"I always come here when I feel a little sad or frustrated, its very nice to come here, mostly everyone comes here to see this beautiful spot." I had to agreed. It was a beautiful spot to see, looking at the bright sun, it was so beautiful. While I was looking at the sun, Flonne brought out something and it appears to be an ice cream, wow, these guys are amazing, I guess they admire humans very much.

"Thank you." I accepted her ice cream and took a bite out of it. It tasted like peanuts, but it was still delicious. We looked at the sunset and it was still beautiful. I thought that maybe I should know her more.

"So..um, Flonne, what do you do for a living?" I asked her.

"Oh, you see, I'm a nurse, I go around Liberty Park to help out anyone in need to see if they're either injured or sick." I see, that's a very nice job, well for a squirrel.

"I see..you know..you seem to know Maya and Jacob very well." Flonne became surprised to hear me bring that up. She smiled warmly and explain about it.

"Oh you see we met in elementary school and we've been best friends ever since, so sometimes they seemed too busy to hang out with me, like Maya is too busy with her inventions, and Jacob is too busy hanging out with his brothers and sister and searching for new members to his gang and the Bruisers." So she's all alone huh? I know what it feels like to feel alone.

"Say, what about your parents? How are they doing?" I asked her. Flonne looked sad as I ask her that question. Wait, don't tell me that they..died?

"Well..you see...my family died in an accident with a human when I was two and my mom died from an illness, I was all alone until a human saved my life." A human saved her?

"This human really did that?" Flonne nodded her head and continue.

"Yes, you see, she took me in and thought of me as family, that is..until she died." Ouch..that's kinda sad.

"I live alone on the streets until I came to Liberty Park, the people there gave me a home and everything, it was kinda nice of them." Wow, I didn't know Flonne went through all that. I begin to think about my parents...I really missed her so much, I wished I could've done something.

"So Alex, what's your story?" I became surprised to hear that she wants to know about me. I started to grow worry that she'll think of me as a monster if I told her what I was.

"I-I'm sorry, but I can't." Flonne became surprised to hear that I won't tell her my backstory. "Why not? I told you my story, why can't you tell me yours?" She asked in a confuse manner.

"Because...I'm afraid."

"Afraid?" She asked.

I nodded my head and explain to her. "You see..If I told you what I am..you'll be afraid of me and think of me as a monster." Flonne became surprised to hear me say that.

"No, I won't think of you as a monster, I promise..I'll believe you." I became surprised to hear her saying that. Someone will actually listen to me..that's pretty nice.

"Okay..I'll..talk." I let out a sigh and started to talk. "You see...I'm...a human." Flonne became surprised to hear that I was a human.

"You see my life..was fine back then..my mom always cared about me, she loved me with the bottom of their hearts, but for my dad, I never knew him, he left back when I was two, it was okay for me, so for five years, I love helping mom at the vet and I thought that I could be with her forever, but then one day..." I clenched my fist in anger as I started to remember the day that she...she...I couldn't even say it in my head. Flonne touched my paw and smiled at me.

"It's alright, you can do it." I looked at her in surprise as she was still listening to me. I then looked down in depression and continue.

"One day, there was a fire, and she died in it.." Flonne became surprised what happened to my mom. I started to feel depressed upon explaining my backstory. "After my mom's death, I was send to the orphanage, but once I got in there, I was bullied by other children because I was weak and couldn't defend myself."

Flonne made a sad look while I was continuing my story. I paused for a sec and decided to continue with it. "Over the years, nobody adopted me, and while there, when I was eleven, I started to become a child caregiver and took care of the smaller children." Flonne became surprised to hear that.

"Wow, that's amazing." Flonne said happily.

I looked away and said "It's not that amazing..." I told her. Flonne became confused of what I said that.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't like children, they're just..weird. Always coming towards me and that, it's just frustrating." I told her with a emotionless expression.

"Well, either way I still think that your amazing as a child caregiver." Flonne told me smiling at me. I looked away from her and continued my story.

"But even if I became a child caregiver, I couldn't take the constant bullying from the older kids, so I ran away and decided to never come back. Over the years, I started to take care of myself and wanders the streets of Oakton, until then...that's all I can remember. I told everything to her. She's probably thinks I'm crazy after explaining that whole thing to her. But I was wrong as she hold my paw and look at me with a worried expression.

"Alex...I believe you." I became surprise for her believing in me. "I know that maybe your life was terrible back then, but I just know that you can fix your mistakes and build a brighter future for yourself." I thought for a while and thought that I should keep that in mind. I look at her with a emotionless expression but I appreciate her advice.

"Thank you...Flonne." She smiled happily at me.

"Your welcome." We continued to stare to each other until we realize that we stared at each other for too long. We looked away from each other as I blush real hard from her. I just hope she didn't know that I was blushing.

While then, I notice that the sun was setting. "Sunset already?" Man, times sure flies.

"Oh wow, I forgot to mention that you were out for almost the entire day." Flonne explained it to me. That explains why the sun is setting so fast.

"Well we should probably head back to my home, and if you like, you can stay with me until we can find you a home." I nodded my head to her as we headed back to her home. We went up the elevator and enter her home. She offered me the guest room, which I accepted.

We headed to bed as night time finally arrived. Flonne came to the room I was sleeping in as she wished me goodnight.

"Goodnight Alex, I'll see you in the morning." I noticed her in my room and said goodnight as well.

"You too Flonne." Flonne smiled warmly at me and headed to her room. You know what, maybe she's right, I had to forget about the past and fix my mistakes, and I'll do that first thing in the morning, I promise and maybe what that Mysterious Voice said is true. I will make new friends and have adventures in my new life and this is what she was talking about. I promise Flonne, that I will make up my mistakes.

Flonne's POV

After I wished Alex goodnight, I headed to my room and sat on my nest. I looked up at the night sky, letting out a sigh. I then looked around, taking off my pink flower pin, I smiled warmly of the memories I had with her. "Who would've thought that he went through all that...I know that maybe he doesn't remember me yet, but he'll soon remember and I promise Erika that I will protect him.." I hold the pink flower pin close to my chest, I wished I could've done something to help him, but I'll try to think of a way to do that.

I'm so happy to finally see Alex again, I'm just so..happy. "I promise that I will..for you." I put my flower pin down on my nest, and went to sleep bed. I just hope that Alex will found out who I am and I just know that he'll have the best day of his life.

To Be Continued
Sign up to rate and review this story