Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Headaches For The Headmistress

by Emilie_D 1 review

Professor McGonagall's busy day.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-19 - Updated: 2006-09-19 - 2644 words - Complete

1Exciting
Minerva McGonagall removed her spectacles and rubbed her temples wearily. It had been a long day, although a productive one as well. The Board of Governors had notified her that Hogwarts would open again as usual for the fall term, which was a gratifying show of confidence in her capabilities. She wished that she felt more confident in her ability to follow in Albus Dumbledore's footsteps. The opening of Hogwarts in September would bring with it many fresh headaches.

An owl bumped against the window. She opened it, and paid the bird before opening the letter...

"Dear Professor McGonagall,

It's a go! I'm officially on leave from my Auror duties as of 1 August, and I accept your offer to teach DADA for the next school year. My mum still has my old books from my student days, but you've probably updated. Let me know what materials I'll be teaching from, and I'll be ready to roll on September first. See ya!

Sincerely,

Nymphadora Tonks
"

The new Headmistress shuddered at the breezy tone of it, but the young woman had qualified as an Auror, so she must be competent to teach the material. Her lack of teaching experience was worrisome... but there were really no alternatives this year.

Horace Slughorn had agreed reluctantly to remain for another year, and to act as Head of Slytherin House during this time of transition. Sibyll Trelawney was tottering in and out of the school, half-crocked, spitefully grousing about the continuing presence of the centaur Firenze, who was teaching Divination as well as her. There had been several applicants for the post of Transfiguration teacher, but none were up to the job. They were all extremely young, and while youthful enthusiasm was a good thing... in moderation... she had hoped for someone slightly more mature in her old classroom.

White light filled the room, and she was in the presence of Harry Potter's Patronus. She hurried to the stairs, wondering what was happening. She had heard nothing from him since he had brought Severus to see her... three nights ago.

"Potter!" she whispered, looking around the corridor.

Potter, Weasley and Granger all stepped up to her, smiling excitedly. She motioned them to the stairs, and no one spoke until they were safely in the office, seated around the desk.

"Well?" she asked, hoping the smiles meant good news. She needed some good news.

Harry pulled a blackened, bent golden locket from his pocket and laid it on the desk. It had been blasted open, and the inside was charred. She looked closer; the front of it had a large, ornate S on it.

"We found it," Harry said unnecessarily. "One down."

"Excellent, Potter." She looked them over carefully. "Are you all right? All of you?"

"We're fine, Professor," Hermione said quietly. "This one was easy. Kreacher had it; he had no idea what it was, and all Harry had to do was order him to produce it. We took it into the Forest to destroy it, so Kreacher wouldn't know."

"We should tell you, when we came here to find Kreacher, we went into the Restricted Section of the library to see if we could find anything out about how to safely destroy it," Harry said, tired but content. "If Madam Pince noticed, it was just us."

"Well, you are very resourceful, and I am happy that you are all right, Potter. All of you." Professor McGonagall stared intently at Harry. "Potter, Madam Pince has already been to see me, and she told me that there were two incursions into the library. One was three nights ago. What can you tell me about it?"

Harry chuckled. "Professor Snape needed a few books. He said he hoped to return them, but for now they're at Zelda's. She was reading through Nature's Nobility right before we left her house, and she was really interested in it."

"Great Merlin!" She reeled at the idea of a Muggle browsing through that particular book. "What else does she have?"

"Well, I didn't pay close attention," Harry said, "but she has The Philosophy of the Mundane and /Moste Potente Potions/. But I think Professor Snape took that one more for himself. And there was one that had the instructions for performing the Fidelius Charm, but I didn't see what it was." He glanced apologetically at her. "I didn't realize it was important."

"Harry, I am not completely comfortable discussing this with students," McGonagall asked, "but please tell me about Professor Snape and this... Zelda. Who is she?"

The trio looked at each other, Hermione politely suppressed a giggle, and the boys were struggling not to smirk obnoxiously.

"You tell her Harry," Ron said. "You were there the longest."

"Enough, Mr. Weasley!" she said sternly. "Well, Potter?"

Harry knew if Snape had been in the room with them right now, he'd be murdered... painfully and messily - but fortunately, he wasn't. Furthermore, no one messed with McGonagall when she asked in that tone of voice.

"They're er... lovers. It's ...it looks like the real thing," he said, his face growing scarlet as he tried not to blather; "I never thought Snape... I mean Professor Snape could... um ...anyway, she's really funny, and smart, she has two kids but they're grown up and don't live with her any more. She's a teacher, too," he finished.

Professor McGonagall was speechless. She had no idea that Severus Snape could ever manage a real relationship, and wondered how much it had changed him. What woman would tolerate such an impossible young man like him?

"I don't really think he's changed, Professor," said Harry, "It's freaky seeing him so... well, um, happy... He's a lot less nasty when he's with her."

"Potter! You're a Legilimens?" she gasped. "How did this happen?"

He grinned. "Zelda taught me. Occlumency too."

Minerva McGonagall was speechless. She had the sense to avert her eyes from him, as she thought furiously... A Muggle could not be a Legilimens, and so therefore could not teach it to others. "I want to meet this woman," she finally said grimly, "Take me to her."

"We can't," Ron said nervously. "Professor Snape performed the Fidelius Charm for her - and he's the Secret Keeper."

Hermione had been watching McGonagall closely. "Why do you want to meet Zelda, Professor?" she asked, "You know that if the Ministry discovers what she knows, she'll be Obliviated. You can't let that happen... she's helped us a lot. She's on our side."

"You too, Miss Granger?" she said, now nearly speechless. "And Mr. Weasley too?"

"That's right," Ron said proudly. "And when we practiced our nonverbals with Professor Snape, I actually jinxed him!"

Minerva feared her head would explode with each new revelation. Severus Snape tutoring his least favorite students... at his Muggle lover's house, even as the Ministry searched for him? She longed, briefly to join Sibyll in a very stiff drink.

"I swear to you, I will not do anything to endanger her, but I must meet Zelda," she repeated, looking directly at them - allowing them to see her intentions. "Do you know if Professor Snape is still with her?"

"He was there when we left, but I don't think he planned to stay much longer," Harry said. He wondered how Zelda was doing, all alone now. She must be really lonely without Snape, he thought sadly.

"Would you bring her here to Hogwarts?" Professor McGonagall asked them.

"Bloody hell! Snape would kill us!" said Ron, horrified. "Sorry Professor, I'm not bringing her anywhere near here. It's too dangerous, for her and for us."

"Hmm... well, what if you arrange a meeting place, and we all Apparate to meet her?" McGonagall said, "You may come with me if you still doubt my intentions. I think she is important, though," she said, "and I believe I should speak to her."

Hermione was more ready than the others to agree. She was not comfortable turning down a teacher, especially Professor McGonagall. "What do you think, Harry?" she asked, apprehensively.

Harry was silent for a moment, trying to decide. "If Zelda agrees, let's do it." he considered the logistics. "Ron, go there now, and if she says yes, find a meeting place. Then come back here and bring us to it. Professor," he asked, "will you walk us to the gates, and let Ron out to Apparate?"

"Of course, Potter." She realized he had no intention of letting her out of his sight during this process. She heard a cynical snort from the direction of Phineas Nigellus's portrait, but she quelled him with a look. A moment later, they were heading down the stairs, and outside toward the gates.

It was a beautiful evening. Ron was trying to estimate what time it would be back at Zelda's place. Sometime during the day, he thought fuzzily - time zones were something of a mystery to him. As McGonagall opened the gates, Ron slipped out - and with the familiar pop, he was gone.

"We may as well wait," Harry said. "It shouldn't take long for him to come back."

Professor McGonagall was startled at the change in Potter since Professor Dumbledore's death. He had suddenly become far more mature and thoughtful than he had been even a few weeks before.

"It's time, don't you think?" Harry asked sadly.

"Potter!" She gasped, startled. "Your manners are deplorable. Your Legilimency is impressive, however."

"Sorry, Professor. But I wish I'd learned these things earlier. Maybe things would've turned out differently." he said, miserably aware of all the things that had gone wrong over the last two years.

"Potter," she began gently, laying her hand on his shoulder, "our world has laid a heavy burden on you. I'm pleased to see you now working so hard - but you'll make mistakes, and you must learn to forgive yourself and move forward."

Harry looked gratefully at her. "It's not easy, Professor," he said, "but thanks." He looked curiously at her, and asked, "Will Hogwarts open again for fall term?"

"Yes, we just received word that we will open," she replied, "There is much to be done before that occurs, however."

With a pop, Ron appeared outside the gates. He had an odd smile on his face, and said, "It's all right, Professor. Hermione, it's Side-Along Apparition, and I'll bring you first, 'cause you've never been there before. I'll come right back for Professor McGonagall and Harry."

Hermione passed through the gates and gave Ron an odd look as he took her hand in his. "Is everything all right, Ron?" she asked, curious about his smile.

"You'll see," he said, with a smirk. Then they were gone.

A few minutes later, Ron was back. Professor McGonagall looked at him rather strangely. She was unused to letting her students have this much control - and Weasley had a streak of silliness in him that gave her cause to hesitate. He looked into her eyes and saw her doubt. "That's cold of you, Professor! You can trust me."

He looked at Harry closely, and she realized they were communicating with each other in a very sophisticated magical way. Harry must be learning their destination, and would Apparate on his own. Then Ron held out his arm - formally, as a courtier escorting royalty, she noted, her lips twitching slightly. She took it, and off they went.

Harry had the picture in his mind, but he'd never been there before. Ron was confident that it would work though, so he concentrated hard and disappeared.

Harry found himself in the midday sun, standing in a large forest clearing, surrounded by huge trees. He looked around him, and saw Professor McGonagall squinting in the bright sunlight, still wearing her Hogwarts robes. She looked strange here, but he was distracted from staring at her at the sound of Zelda's voice.

"Hey, Harry," she said, smiling happily at him.

He turned, and saw her walking toward him, dressed in jeans and a tank top, with a baseball cap over her hair. He laughed in relief and gave her a brief hug. She kissed his cheek, and he realized that she was not alone.

"Instead of Zelda's nephew, you're something totally different, eh, Harry?" Michael, Zelda's friend, was walking up behind her, his brown eyes bright with interest, and shook hands with him.

Harry was shocked to see Michael, but he trusted Zelda a lot, and he was worried about how Professor McGonagall would react to the situation, so he turned to her and said, "Professor, this is Zelda Larsson, and her friend, Michael."

Zelda looked appraisingly at the new Headmistress of Hogwarts, and said, "I'm happy to meet you, Professor McGonagall - and I hope you'll refrain from Obliviating us before we have a chance to talk together." She offered her hand, which the stunned witch accepted and shook, while looking thoughtfully back at the young woman. Minerva looked intently into intensely blue eyes that seemed to see right into her mind. "Are you indeed a Legilimens?" she asked sternly.

Zelda's lips twisted into an odd smile; "It's not my /fault/, you know," she said, "It consoles me to know I'm not insane - and that's what I thought before I knew what it was." She looked penetratingly at Minerva, and continued, "You're all wondering why Michael is here, but Severus suspected that Michael might also have this gift, and in fact he seems to have a very powerful talent."

Michael interjected, "It's hours later in the day where you're coming from, why don't you come into the house and sit down."

"Thank you," Minerva replied.

As they walked toward the small house, she looked again at Zelda, not seeing what she had expected. The woman had a brisk energy that made her seem young, but she seemed to be at least as old as Severus Snape, upon closer inspection. There was bright intelligence in her eyes, and she was a pretty woman - not classically beautiful, but still very pleasing.

"You can ask me, you know," Zelda said with a smirk, "About Severus. If you ask anything truly outrageous I'll refuse to answer. But he did tell you essentially what happened."

"He did not tell me why you helped him, however," Minerva replied. "A strange man, and you were alone..."

"Oh, do magical people find it easy to walk away from a helpless, injured person?" Zelda asked brightly. "I'll admit that things turned out rather differently than I'd expected, but I would at least have taken him to a hospital so he wouldn't die. He was quite persuasive at convincing me not to, however."

"Severus Snape never asks for favors from anyone," said Minerva, startled.

"Perhaps he's found that occasionally it's necessary," Zelda said dryly. "I gather that you all despise the abilities of Muggles, but I'll do what I can to help Severus, and these kids too."

"Really." Minerva said, truly surprised now. The woman seemed sane and serious, in spite of her mundane appearance. "Do you have any idea what this could mean for you?"

They had reached the door by now. At her words, however, Zelda looked piercingly at her. She paused briefly, and turned to Michael and the teens.

"Michael, why don't you take the kids out and show them how to play with your 'toys' for a bit?" she said, "I'd like to speak with Professor McGonagall - just girl talk. No need for you to be bored with it. Harry, I'll put out cold drinks here, and you can summon them when you want them." She snickered, "Accio, Coke, right?"

Harry laughed, and said, "No problem. But... what toys?"

Michael asked casually, "Have any of you used a gun before?"

All three were riveted by his words, so they followed Michael, eager to try the deadly Muggle devices. Professor McGonagall was left alone on the doorstep with Zelda, who said politely, "Please come in."
Sign up to rate and review this story