Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Minerva Among The Muggles

by Emilie_D 1 review

Minerva McGonagall and Zelda find common ground.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-19 - Updated: 2006-09-19 - 2805 words - Complete

1Insightful
"You asked if I understand what helping Severus could mean, Professor," Zelda said coolly, ushering her into the tiny living room. "Do I seem especially dim-witted?"

Minerva chose a straight-backed wooden chair and seated herself before replying. Choosing her words carefully, she said, "Magic isn't what it seems in your movies, Mrs. Larsson."

Zelda twitched exaggeratedly and said, "Please call me Zelda. 'Mrs. Larsson' makes me flash back to my classroom." She paused, "...or wonder if my mother's standing behind me. I do have some understanding of what magic is, although if you'll explain more, I'll gladly listen."

"If you'll call me Minerva. It is indeed refreshing to conversing among adults, isn't it?" Professor McGonagall said, unbending slightly. "What age students do you teach?" she asked.

"Sixth grade. Most are eleven, turning twelve." Zelda replied. "I love that teachers always have this conversation and I'm fascinated to find out why people teach. It tells one a great deal, doesn't it?"

"Indeed it does," Minerva replied, warming even more to the conversation. "How is your school organized?"

"The majority of sixth grade students here in the U. S. are sent to what we call middle schools, but I'm lucky to have my class of about thirty students together all day long," Zelda said. "It's an amazingly productive year for all of us, and I love it."

"It sounds like it would be rather stifling to me," Minerva said frankly. "I prefer teaching all levels, seeing my students mature and develop over their years with me."

"We all have different styles, and I've found a niche where I work most effectively," Zelda said. "In my classroom my students learn to work together in different groups and settings. I can... er, assist their social/emotional development at times. It requires trust, and being together every day builds relationships quickly."

"Fascinating," Minerva said sincerely. "I'd like to learn more of your methods, but I must speak frankly, Zelda. I don't wish to see you or your friend killed as a result of our wizard conflict."

Zelda sighed, and said, "I don't want us killed either, especially Michael. But I'm going to try to convince you to leave me alone, because I feel I have a right to retain my memories and act as I see fit."

"It's not your concern," Minerva replied, more sternly now.

"On several levels it's my concern," Zelda replied implacably. "First, Muggles like me are being killed whether most people are aware or not. I read about the Brockdale Bridge last year. Innocent people died and that's... unacceptable. Second," she added, "I have children and I wish the future to be good for their sakes. Third... there's Severus. He's my concern."

They sat in silence as Minerva considered that remarkable statement. Then the sound of gunfire from the practice range penetrated the room, and Minerva cringed. "I cannot believe you sent those young people out to use Muggle firearms."

Zelda rolled her eyes, saying, "Because they're so much more dangerous than your Unforgivables?" She rose and said, "I'm going to make tea, unless you'd prefer to have a Coke, like the kids."

"Tea sounds very refreshing," Minerva said, watching as Zelda placed a large plastic box of ice on the doorstep with a dozen bottles of soda in it.

Zelda bustled around the tiny kitchen for a few moments, and then returned. She carried a tray with two mismatched cups, a glass pitcher of tea with a saucer over the top, and a plastic bear shaped bottle of honey. "Michael's not overly concerned with entertaining here," she explained as she poured the tea, "so please excuse the ridiculous tea service."

Minerva laughed. It was a very odd-looking tea tray. "Zelda, who is Michael, besides your friend? Even assuming that you know what you're doing, every additional Muggle who knows about this is at risk, and may also put my world at risk."

"I didn't want Michael to know, Minerva," Zelda said. "In fact it was Severus who told him. I don't doubt Michael's courage or discretion, but I'd be devastated if anything happened to him. Of course he feels that way about me, so I think we're in it together."

They drank tea together in companionable silence. Minerva had originally wondered if she should Obliviate Zelda in spite of her promise to Harry and the others, but Zelda and Michael now seemed to be of little threat... and if Zelda were partly responsible for Harry Potter's rapid maturation, then perhaps she might be an asset to the Order.

"How's your new job as Headmistress of Hogwarts going, Minerva? I don't think I envy you your new prominence," Zelda murmured. "Will there be a Hogwarts this fall?"

"You're rather well informed about our school, Zelda," she said, recalling the stress of her new position. "But yes, it will open on schedule - assuming I can assemble a full faculty by that time. Severus seemed anxious that Hogwarts not be closed... do you know why?"

"Beyond the fact that educating young people is essential for the future, I can't say," Zelda said, smiling. "Also, I think that he loves it. It must be a remarkable place, having such a long history."

"Yes, it is. I never wished to be Headmistress, though. I enjoy teaching very much. I'm having a dreadful time finding a new Transfiguration teacher to take over my classes."

Zelda said, "I can imagine how difficult it would be for me to be in your position. I hope it works out for you."

Silence had fallen, and after a while she added, "I'd like to see what's happening outside, will you come along?"

Minerva rose with her, and they headed out to see what the others were doing.

"Minerva, is Harry all right? Did they find the Horcrux?" Zelda asked as they walked. "He may be The Chosen One to all of you, but I just want the kid to survive this somehow."

He's fine, thus far," she replied. "He has the blasted thing with him, in his pocket I might add, although I hope he'll find a safe place to stow it soon. If he is discovered with it, all hope of his task being concealed is lost."

"What's the safest place? Harry said that Professor Dumbledore destroyed one, a ring. What about Tom Riddle's diary? Where are they?" Zelda asked shrewdly.

Minerva was startled at the Muggle's boldness. "They must be somewhere in the office, but I must admit that I didn't think to look. There is so much in that office, and I am overwhelmed by work. Perhaps I should conceal the locket. Hogwarts is the best protected magical place in the world."

As they drew close, Minerva saw the students turn to watch them approach. She took a close look at Zelda's friend. He was tanned and sturdy, and as she watched he casually raised the small gun in his hand and said, "What order now?"

Ron turned back excitedly and said, "Heart, left arm, right ear, right knee and left foot."

Michael shot each designated part perfectly, and so quickly that Minerva could hardly see what he had done.

The three students laughed, all extremely impressed.

"Michael was a sniper in our military, Minerva," Zelda explained in a low voice. "He's behaving ridiculously, but as Muggles go he is very dangerous. As long as he has the element of surprise, in case of a wizard, I suppose."

"I see," the Headmistress replied thoughtfully.

Michael handed the gun to Harry, and said, "Reload it, and you try again. Must be the wand practice, because you kids are good, for beginners." He walked toward the women, and simpered, "Girl talk all finished? I wanted to dish too!"

"I was about to tell Minerva that you aren't a complete idiot, but why bother now?" Zelda said, glaring at him.

Michael watched Harry step up and slowly began firing at the target, and he gently steered the two women back to the cabin, so they could converse uninterrupted.

"Sorry, Professor," he said with a smirk. "Sometimes I can't control my obnoxiousness." His brown eyes twinkled mischievously. "Zelda's told me, Severus too, that I stand to have my memory adjusted if I don't behave, but I dislike being given good advice."

"I don't believe I heard your last name, Michael," Minerva said firmly.

"Michael Fletcher, at your service, Professor," he said, saluting with military precision before leading them back into the small house.

"Are my students safe there, unsupervised?" she asked. "We're unfamiliar with Muggle firearms in our world."

"They're careful, so they'll be fine," Michael said. "But I want to know why you wanted to meet Zelda."

Minerva was pleased with his directness. Her conversation with Zelda had jumped from topic to topic, and she wished to arrange her thoughts. "I wished to see the Muggle woman who saved Severus Snape's life, and then taught Harry Potter and his friends Legilimency. I needed to see if she's a danger to our world. Happily," she smiled, "I'm reassured, so unless you wish it, Mr. Fletcher, there'll be no memories modified by me today."

Michael beamed at her and said, "That's a relief. Now can we talk about your ragtag 'Order of the Phoenix'? Are you in charge now? If not, who is? You're faced with a serious threat; I don't understand what your Ministry of Magic's about. Why does a small group of private citizens mount the only effective opposition to your Dark Lord?" he asked.

"You have many questions, and I can't answer all of them." Minerva responded. "Our society is different from yours. I believe our bureaucracy is not as extensive, and perhaps we believe in relying more on individual initiative to solve our problems more than you may do."

"I don't see much difference," Zelda said acidly. "In our world, Muggles sit on their asses expecting governments or God to solve their problems, and your people seem to sit on their asses waiting for Harry Potter to solve their problems."

Minerva's lips twitched. The woman indeed had a way of cutting neatly to the heart of the matter. "How is it that you can teach my students Legilimency? Muggles are..."

"Are not capable of Legilimency... blah, blah, blah," Zelda finished. "Every single witch and wizard I've met so far has told me that, but you're in the company of two undeniable Muggles who are extremely good at it."

Minerva frowned. She had no explanation for it, and her own ability at Legilimency was very sketchy. "Will you please show me? I'm by no means a gifted Legilimens, but allow me to try you." Zelda nodded her agreement and allowed Minerva to face her.

Minerva McGonagall gazed into Zelda's cold blue eyes, and her mind met a blank wall. She turned to Michael and found his brown eyes were blank and cold. She looked again at Zelda, who changed her expression slightly, and saw a memory, of an unconscious, naked Severus Snape. His skin was grey-white, and blood ran from a wound on his left arm as he lay under some scrubby plants in a forest.

Minerva gasped. She tried to see more, but there was only the one memory. "How did you do that?"

Zelda smiled ironically. "I'm still figuring it out, Minerva. I never understood this until Severus explained it to me, and that was only a little over a week ago. But I wondered if you doubted my finding Severus. It's a strange story, but it really happened."

Minerva turned to Michael and asked, "Can you do it too?"

"Look," he answered with a smile.

She took out her wand, pointed it, and said, "/Legilimens/." Michaels's mind was blank, except for a memory of Severus Snape. He was in an unfamiliar place, wearing baggy blue jeans and a black T-shirt. He was shooting one of Michael's guns at a target, with a hint of a smile touching his harsh features.

Minerva withdrew from his mind and pondered what she had learned. They had no wands, they did not think magically, but they had a powerful ability to magically control their minds that few wizards could match.

"Did you say, Zelda, that you believed that you may have been able to do Legilimency before you discovered Severus?" She asked, feeling as though she was on the brink of a remarkable discovery.

Zelda replied calmly, "As long as I can remember, Minerva. As a child I could see people's thoughts and intentions, and it scared me. I became very withdrawn, because I hated seeing things, sometimes ugly, mean things, in the eyes of people around me..." she explained. "I thought people could see into me the same way. I asked my mother about it, when I was very young, but she didn't understand me. I learned to use it, somewhat. For a teacher and a mother, it's very handy, of course. But now, after I've spent this time practicing it properly, I'm amazed."

Minerva turned to Michael. "What about you?"

"Different details, but in essence, the same. I was doubtful when Zelda first told me. Severus is a deep one; he didn't tell me about Legilimency. But he was right," he said thoughtfully.

Minerva noticed that the silly persona of earlier was nowhere to be seen. This Muggle was a quick-witted, powerful man. "I must consider this," she admitted. "I never imagined that this was possible."

Zelda said, "You probably can't stay much longer, Minerva, but we can find a bite to eat, if you'd like. I haven't had a chance to talk to the kids and I'd like to spend a little time with them."

Minerva considered. She had so little time, and she wanted to see more of these remarkable Muggles. Perhaps if they were willing, they could even help the Order in some way. They already had, she thought in surprise. "I believe it is night at Hogwarts, isn't it? I'd like to stay a little longer. This visit feels like a holiday to me, which says something about my life."

Zelda turned to Michael and said, "Why don't you and the kids pack it up out there, and you can all decide on food and conjure something up. We'll wait here."

"Bossy, aren't you, Zel? I sure don't envy Severus, babe. Set the table and we'll be back soon." He smirked as he left them.

Zelda turned to her, a slight flush on her face, and said resignedly, "Where's a good House Elf when you need one?"

Minerva was not to be distracted; she said musingly, "I think I rather envy Severus, Zelda. I admit that I was shocked to learn that he had become involved with you. You do know that it can often be a difficult situation when a wizard becomes infatuated with a Muggle woman and, regrettably, I never considered that Severus Snape ever had such a wish for love or happiness. But... are you sure?"

"Quite sure." Zelda said flatly. "I also had no faith and no interest in love before this. I don't know what will happen to us, and I think your people could easily live with Severus dying for your cause... which doesn't improve my attitude toward wizards. I don't doubt my feelings, however, and I'll do anything to help him."

"Will you help me?" Minerva asked impulsively. "I can't imagine how, but I think you may be able to, at some point."

Zelda stared, one eyebrow arching upward. "Depends on who's asking," she replied thoughtfully. "A representative of the Ministry, Headmistress of Hogwarts, or a member of the Order?" She looked piercingly at the witch, who realized that this was Muggle was a powerful Legilimens indeed.

Minerva paused to gather her thoughts, realizing that this moment would determine her future relationship with the woman. "None of those," she said deliberately. "I am speaking for myself, an individual who wishes to see Voldemort defeated for the good of all. I ask your help knowing that you will risk your life to some extent. I won't force you to act against your conscience, nor will I allow your memory to be Obliviated, if I can prevent it." She then smiled slightly. "I too wish to see Severus survive this, if possible - and you may be able to help make that happen."

There was a pause, during which Minerva wondered if she had gone mad, asking this of a Muggle... and knowing as well that if anything happened to Zelda she would regret it as long as she lived.

Zelda looked thoughtful and withdrawn, and a little sad for a moment, but then her gaze met Minerva's unwaveringly and she said, "I'll help you, Minerva McGonagall."

Each of them extended her hand at the same moment, they shook them firmly... and it was done.
Sign up to rate and review this story