Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Pizza And The Professor

by Emilie_D 2 reviews

It's a pizza party!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-19 - Updated: 2006-09-19 - 2687 words - Complete

1Original
Pizza was on the menu yet again, when the teens and Michael returned. Ron carried a stack of flat boxes, Hermione carried a plastic tub of antipasto, and Harry had a bakery box in one hand and a box of ice cream in the other. Michael held a bottle of wine and, in response to Zelda's curious gaze, he said, "The kids said it's a celebration, Zel. They destroyed a Horcrux and lived to tell the tale."

Zelda chuckled and said, "As long as my Apparating buddy sticks to Coke, I don't care. I hope you like American pizza, Minerva."

"It's great!" Ron proclaimed fervently. "Pedro's Up North Pizzeria is my new favorite, Professor."

Hermione said, "Zelda, what exactly is Canadian bacon?"

Zelda just laughed at the familiar, silly question.

Michael pulled up enough chairs to the table for all of them, opened the wine and poured three glasses, and Zelda served the pizza and salad. The young people ate as though they were starved, and Minerva found the pizza quite tasty.

"How did you get it all so quickly?" Zelda asked. "It's all from different places. Did you Apparate to shop at five places?"

Harry laughed, saying, "Michael planned it. We Apparated to your house and ordered the pizza and salad. Ron and Michael drove to fetch it, while Hermione and I raided your freezer for dessert. That cake looks fantastic," he said happily. "We fed the cats, by the way. I saw the wine and thought someone should celebrate /something/, since we destroyed the locket Horcrux. And here we are."

"Ah... military precision - applied to dinner," Zelda said, grinning at Michael.

"Professor, after this is all over, Michael said I could come back... and he'll teach me to drive a car the Muggle way," Ron said.

"Don't people here drive on the right side of the road?" she replied, her eyes twinkling. "If you learn it here, please do not attempt to drive back at home... or not without a magical car."

All three looked at her, surprised that she would allude to Ron and Harry's disastrous trip to Hogwarts in their second year. The magical car in question was running wild in the Forbidden Forest to this day, and - as Harry recalled nostalgically - the incident was an especially sore subject for Professor Snape.

"I'd love to have my dad meet you, Michael... but I don't think he should try firing a gun. He gets a little too excited about learning Muggle stuff," Ron said enthusiastically. "Hey did you know that Hermione did karaoke when we were here before, Professor? Muggles do some weird but amazing things."

Minerva turned to Hermione, who had been listening carefully, taking it all in. "And what is a karaoke, Miss Granger?" She asked curiously.

Everyone was talking enthusiastically, and Zelda thought that this was possibly the most successful dinner party she'd hosted in recent memory. In spite of paper plates, mismatched glassware... and the hideously caloric teenage menu, they all seemed to be having fun. She was amazingly relieved that the teens were all right, but she wondered where Severus was, if he was all right, if he missed her... She collected herself with an effort, and put the subject from her mind.

Harry was watching her, and saw her thoughts turn to Severus. He had thought about Professor Snape frequently in the past days, and realized that after years of hating him, he was glad to know for sure now that Snape was on the Order's side. After meeting Zelda, and learning to like and trust /her/, he wanted Professor Snape to be all right for her.

Harry leaned close to her and said quietly, "Zelda, when did he leave?"

"The night after you did," she replied. "Michael brought him here, you know, that day, or rather, they Apparated here."

"Have you heard, is he all right? Will you hear from him?" he asked her, wishing he'd never asked when he saw sadness appear in her eyes.

"I won't hear anything from him, and I don't want him distracted from what he's facing by thinking about me," Zelda said. She looked at him and said, "I wish I could help him, and you too, Harry."

Harry said thoughtfully, "I've thought a lot what an idiot I was before. I was going to attack Professor Snape... I wanted to kill him, Zelda. But you made me listen to you." He smiled. "The reason we got the Horcrux already is because I'm not wasting time hating him anymore. And whatever he's doing now, I know he's actually helping us. So you've done tons."

The others had grown quiet as they spoke, and Minerva listened thoughtfully to Harry's statement. Zelda and Michael had a fresh, sensible perspective to offer their magical world. She pondered how to make use of this unexpected asset to their cause, as the conversation moved on without her.

"Harry, have you all discovered what and where the other Horcruxes are?" Zelda asked, trying to move them forward with their work.

"No. Ever since we blasted the locket, I haven't been able to stop thinking, even though we know one of them is probably the Hufflepuff cup with the badger on it. It could be anywhere, you know." he replied.

A slow smile appeared on Zelda's face and Minerva, watching them closely, narrowed her eyes in concentration. She thought perhaps Zelda had something significant to offer and listened intently.

"How did you find Severus when he was at my house?" Zelda asked mischievously.

Harry was amazed. It was so simple! "The Mirror of Erised, Zelda. I know what the cup looks like, and I've been thinking about it non-stop, so the Mirror might show me where it is. You're brilliant, Zelda."

"It might not be so easy, but standard warning, Harry, okay?" She replied, pleased at his quickness. "Take precautions before you Apparate to some strange place. Horrible things protected the locket Horcrux, and the others will be protected too. Tell Professor McGonagall where you're going, check in with her when you return, and don't tell anyone else what you're doing, okay?"

Harry had looked impatient for a few moments, but the last time he had faced Voldemort's protections, he had been with Professor Dumbledore. Now he, Ron and Hermione would have to do it alone. Remembering the defenses, the Inferi, the poisonous Potion....

"I think we should have some things with us, like a bezoar, for starters!" he said thoughtfully, remembering how one had saved Ron's life.

"You may take whatever you need from Hogwarts," Minerva said, deeply pleased with Zelda's ability to make Harry Potter plan, rather than act impulsively. "I'm afraid I'll need to rest before I face the day's business, so I must leave soon," she said. "The Board of Governors insists that the school be gone over one final time, so Rufus Scrimgeour and Kingsley Shacklebolt will be coming soon to inspect."

She rose and went outside, escorted by Zelda. They could hear the others tidying up after the meal, and Zelda said, "They are marvelous young people."

Minerva chuckled. "I believe you have a good effect on them. They're on their best behavior. Will they be Apparating with you back to your house?"

"Yes, of course," she replied. "I'm sorry you couldn't go there, at least I have matching teacups... but no one magical can go there now except the kids." Zelda paused, and looking closely at her said, "Before you go... would you like to try shooting? There'll never be a better opportunity, Minerva."

The witch's eyes sparkled as she replied, "A challenge? All right, Zelda. Indeed I shall, if you will show me how."

Zelda ducked back into the house and returned with Michael's gun bag. As they walked, Zelda took out the Glock, which was unloaded, and handed it to Minerva.

"This is my favorite, Minerva. It's light, but beautifully balanced. Michael's been making me use the shotgun, he says I should expand my area of proficiency." She grinned. "But unlike a guy, I'm not obsessed with size, so I'll stick with the elegant little handgun."

Minerva weighed the gun in her hand. It was indeed light and simple in design. The lines were sleek and practical. They reached the practice area, where Zelda showed her how to load the gun.

Zelda looked at the battered target and laughed. "They were busy out here, weren't they? Well, choose a piece of target, and try it. Yes... hold it like this. Here's the trigger. Okay."

Minerva McGonagall weighed the gun in her hand, then aimed at the head of the target and fired, tentatively. She missed, and realized that it might be harder than it looked. She took more careful aim, and tried again. This time she hit the target, and felt a thrill of triumph. She concentrated harder and her aim became as true as when she cast a spell with her wand.

"That's marvelous!" Zelda said, looking impressed.

Minerva handed the gun back to Zelda and said, "Will you do it now?"

Zelda reloaded and took her stance. She casually fired, rapidly placing one shot after another dead center in the heart of the target.

"Michael's a good teacher," she said, smiling modestly.

"You seem to be an apt pupil, Zelda," Minerva replied, impressed. "We tend not to respect Muggles enough, I suppose. It does seem rather shortsighted of us."

"I won't delay you any longer, Minerva. Will the kids be able to get into Hogwarts without you?" Zelda asked.

"I have turned a blind eye to that until this point," she replied.

""You should at least know how they do it," Zelda chided.

"You're right. I'll speak with them now, before I leave - so I am able to safeguard all entrances," Minerva sighed, turning back to the small house. "This was pleasantly amusing, Zelda. Thank you for my lesson."

Zelda picked up the gun bag and watched as Minerva met Harry just outside the door. They talked, and Zelda watched Harry reluctantly pull the Marauder's Map out of his pocket and tap it with his wand. She waited until they had finished, and Minerva returned to her.

"Well that was enlightening," Minerva said dryly. "I have told him that the passage from the Shrieking Shack will remain accessible, but the other, from Honeyduke's, will be closed. He told me that Severus has used the former, and I will not prevent him, or Harry and his friends, from using it I will set a watch on it, however, and no one else will access it."

"Minerva," Zelda said, "Do you believe Dumbledore knew about the Map, and the passages?"

"I don't know," Minerva replied slowly. "It seems inconceivable that he allowed it... but Albus left a great deal to... not chance, precisely, but open to individual decisions."

"I never met him, but I think he knew about them. There are things he didn't know," Zelda said, thinking bitterly of Severus's treatment at the hands of the Marauders, "things he chose not to focus on. But these passages... I think he knew, and I think it was important to him that people have access. I'm glad you're leaving one accessible."

"I must leave now, but I'm happy to have met you, Zelda, and Michael too," Minerva said. "I will be in contact with you soon, if that is acceptable. You've helped to clarify my thoughts, and I hope to be able to use you as a resource."

Zelda smiled. "I'm happy to help you, if I can, Minerva. You can't get to my house, but Harry told me that owls can get there." She grinned. "I'd love to have a post owl show up."

"I will find a way to contact you more personally, Zelda. It will be direct from me, however. If a person that you do not know claims to speak for me, do not believe them," Minerva said seriously.

"I understand, Minerva. Take care," Zelda said.

The Headmistress of Hogwarts shook hands with her once more and then Disapparated away.

Zelda went back to the cabin, where the others were waiting for her.

"I suppose you all have to leave soon?" She asked the trio wistfully.

"We need to check in with our families," Hermione said, "Ron and I, anyway. Then we need to visit the Mirror of Erised and see if it can tell us what we want to know."

"You'll take us home first, right?" Michael asked. "You know, I'm really starting to love Apparating!"

They all laughed. Zelda said, "Why do you seem less mature than anyone in the room, Michael? I feel like your mother, half the time."

Hermione took a last glance around the cabin, making sure everything was as tidy as it could be. She nodded to herself and said, "I think we're ready."

They stepped outside, and a moment later they were in back of Michael's house, safely hidden by his privacy fence.

"That was fun," Zelda said wistfully. "I know you have to leave, but I'm glad you came, and I loved meeting your Professor. She's a fascinating woman."

"I was a bit afraid she was going to Obliviate you," Hermione said frankly.

"I was too," replied Zelda. "I'm glad she refrained... this is all so interesting... and when Severus comes back, I'd really hate it if I didn't remember him."

The three looked at each other, wondering if Zelda could be as certain as she had sounded that Snape would make it back to her.

"Don't look at me like that," she snapped. "I have to believe it... and I do believe it, most of the time. It's hard waiting, though."

"You've done a lot, Zelda," Hermione said. "If it weren't for you... well... you don't know how much you've done for Professor Snape."

Zelda looked at her ironically. "Actually I have some idea, but I wish I could do more." She smiled sadly at them. "He's amazingly tough, you know, and clever. A little appreciation from the ungrateful wizards who do nothing to oppose Voldemort would be nice, I think, but I won't hold my breath waiting."

"Chin up, Zel," Michael said, seeing the distress that she wanted to hide from them all. "They have to go now, and find another Horcrux, so say your goodbyes."

"It's been good to have you here again," Zelda said. "You know you can come back any time. Be careful, okay?"

"We will," Ron said. "Thanks, Zelda. This was fantastic." He turned to Michael, and said, "Thanks, Michael. Shooting was amazing, I can't wait to tell my dad about you."

Zelda looked at Harry, as always a little isolated. The Chosen One... she thought cynically. "Give us a hug, Harry," she said with a grin, and he laughed a little and hugged her hard.

Zelda hugged Hermione, saying, "Thank heavens there's a woman along for this ride. Keep an eye on them, okay?"

Michael came to stand by her, and as they watched, the three teens vanished, leaving that strange emptiness behind them.

"It's hard to believe I met Minerva McGonagall today," Zelda said ruefully. "She asked me to help her, so I said I would."

He looked amused and worried at the same time. "They'll be coming back then, Zel. You'd better make some plans, and you'd damn well better be careful. My feelings aside, Severus won't be happy if, after he tried to keep you safe, you walk your Muggle self right into a mess and end up killed."

Zelda sighed; dying soon and horribly wasn't an attractive prospect. She looked at her old friend seriously and said, "You know I have to do this, don't you?"

Michael nodded. "I won't try to talk you out of it, babe, what you have with Severus is worth it. But you're going to find out what war is like... and I'm sorry. You'll hate it," he said bleakly. "But I'm here for you."

"Thanks, Michael," she said simply. Let's get the girls and you can come over for dinner and we'll talk. There's a lot I need to think about."
Sign up to rate and review this story