Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death, Destroyer of Worlds

Touch of Magic

by LadyFoxFire 1 review

Death has the power to take lives or to save them. He's about to do both

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dumbledore, Fudge, Harry, Sirius, Snape - Published: 2005-06-27 - Updated: 2005-06-28 - 1539 words

5Original
Disclaimer: I own a 5 yr. old computer, a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am and a shit load of debt. Suing me for this fanfic is not an option.

Bad Author Notes: Someone pleases save me from my son and my two nieces. They're 11 months apart. 8, 7, 6 years of age and they are driving me crazy!





Touch of Magic

by Lady FoxFire

October 18, 2003



Sirius squirmed nervously in the hard, uncomfortable seat as he watched the man called Death lounge languidly in his chair. The older man had his legs stretched out in front of him with his ankles crossed. His piercing green eyes were hidden behind closed lids as if he were asleep.

"This place never changes, does it?" Death asked casually, breaking the silence that has existed between the two men since he first spoke his name, "Same industrial grey walls. Same uncomfortable chairs."

Sirius smiled at the man's comment of the Ministry's lack of comforts. "Hard to believe they hired a designer to make this place into an area where one can relax and drop their guard," Sirius drawled in a snooty tone of voice.

Death opened one eye and peered at Sirius. "So when do they start?"

Sirius shrugged as a smirk tugged on his lips. "This is what the designer came up with," he explained sarcastically with a grand sweep of his arm. "This wonderful setting is from the creative mind of the Ministry's designer. Wasn't cheap, either."

The old man snorted at Sirius's antics. "Must have been a relative of Fudge, or did Fudge decide to pocket the money and do it himself?"

"Do I detect that Death has a low opinion of our beloved Ministry of Magic?" Sirius teased

"Pond scum rates higher than Fudge," the old man explained derisively with a snort as he stood up to pace the floor. "And right now, that piece of rubbish is trying my patience."

"Well don't forget he's trying to put off an appointment with Death, after all." Sirius replied with a smirk.

Death chuckled at Sirius's bad joke, before plopping back into his chair. "Well, if we're going to have to wait for that hypocrite, we might as well be comfortable. And sitting on these torture devices they call chairs and staring at these colorful walls is far from what I would call comfortable." The old man's hand began to glow slightly as he waved it casually in the air.

Sirius let out a startled yelp as his body sunk into a thick, heavily cushioned chair. "How... How the fuck did you do that?" He panted as he leapt from his seat and gaped incredulously at the well-padded leather high back chair

"It was just a simple transfiguration spell," Death explained nonchalantly with a curious look on his face as he watched Sirius. "Didn't Professor McGonagall teach you how to do that?"

"Of course she did!" Sirius snapped. "But there are anti-magic wards on rooms like this!"

"Oh," The old man said simply as he chewed on his bottom lip ponderingly. "Well those things never really did concern me," he explained as the dull grey stone wall changed into rich wood paneling. Another wave of the hand prompted the appearance of a roaring fireplace with a cracking fire appeared and a final gesture caused the bare flooring to vanish under thick vermilion carpeting.

"Who. Are. You?" Sirius sputtered in awe as he took in everything that no wizard should have been able to accomplish in such a heavily warded place.

The old man looked at Sirius with great sadness in his eyes tinged trace of hope. "You actually know who I am, Sirius. You just don't recognize me, yet. You could say that I've changed quite a bit since the last time you've seen me." Death leaned forwards as if to emphasize what he was about to tell Sirius next. "I need you to trust me, Sirius. I am here to protect you and your godson. He's in grave danger, and only you can save him."

"Harry?" Sirius voice trembled as he slowly lowered himself back into his chair. "What... What do you need me to do? I'll do whatever is necessary to protect him."

"I know you will," the old man replied softly. With a wave of his arm a tea set appeared with a plate full of scones. "Tell me, Mr. Black, what would have happened to young Mr. Potter if Pettigrew had succeeded in his plan?" Death asked in a very formal tone as he poured the tea.

"Ummm... I.... I expect that Dumbledore would have placed him with Remus, or with a wizard family-someone he trusted," Sirius explained as he accepted a cup of tea. "I know Dumbledore has Harry right now. I expect he's the toast of Hogwarts, " he continued with as sad smile before taking a sip from his cup.

The old man watched Sirius pensively out of the corner of his eyes as Sirius raised the cup to his lips. "What would you say if I told you that your beloved headmaster has placed Harry in the care of his aunt, Petunia, and her husband."

Scalding tea sprayed out of Sirius mouth. "WHAT!!!! They hate magic! They'll... They'll..."

"Yes, they will." The old man affirmed softly as he stared meditatively into the fire. "They'll lock him into their cupboard under the stairs. They'll feed him just enough to keep him alive. They'll work him from the moment he awakes till the moment he goes to sleep. He'll never know a moment of love or happiness until he goes to Hogwarts." Death calmly took another sip of his tea before continuing as steadily as before. "That's what I'm here to prevent, Sirius. I'm here to make sure Harry has a chance to grow up with you and Remus."

"How do you know all of that?" Sirius whispered in shock. "Are you a Seer?"

"What! What the hell is going on here?" A whiny voice screeched stridently from the doorway.

"Ah, Minister Fudge." Death greeted calmly he placed his teacup down. "We're been expecting you for some time. It's very rude of you to make us wait."

Fudge haughtily looked down his nose at the older man. "I am a very busy man. I don't have time for crackpots and Deatheaters."

"True. That is very true, Minister. But then again, you could never tell the difference between an innocent man and a follower of Voldemort. You were always more concerned with your own image than with protecting the wizarding community."

"How dare you!" Fudge shouted furiously, bearing down his full intimidating presence upon the old man. "I am the Minister of Magic for Great Britain. I have never done anything to threaten the safety of the wizard community. That man," he bellowed, pointing accusingly at Sirius, "is a danger to the wizarding community. He betrayed his friends. He betrayed all of us."

"Oh, shut up, Fudge." Death drawled coldly as his emerald eyes glinted dangerously. With a wave of his hand, a ball gag appeared in Fudge's mouth, halting his long-winded tirade. "Now, I would like you to summon Albus Dumbledore, Remus Lupin, Arthur Weasley, and Harry Potter. I want them here within an hour."

With a nod of Death's head, the gag vanished. Fudge swallowed a few times, trying to remove the vile taste of the gag from his mouth. "And if I refuse?" he asked, trying to sound defiant, but failing miserably.

"Then I will destroy everything in London, starting with the Ministry until they're brought before me. Is that understood?"

Fudge paled as he began to realize just how powerful this man was. "You wouldn't dare," Fudge whispered, cowering slightly in fear.

"Oh, I would, and I could," Death countered with a smirk on his face. "On second thought, Fudge, I want Remus to get Harry. I'll give him two hours to bathe, feed and cloth the child before bringing him here. Also, have Moody bring Peter here."

"But... But Lupin is a werewolf! He's a danger to the child," Fudge sputtered indignantly.

"You're more of a danger to Harry than he is. Time is ticking, Minister. You'd better hurry," Death uttered with a flutter of his hand, dismissing Fudge from his sight.

"You wouldn't really destroy London, would you?" A pale Sirius turned to Death after Fudge had shut the door.

Death settled calmly back into his chair, a soft smile on his face as he calmly sipped at his tea. "In a heart beat." Death sat silently in his chair ignoring the horrified look Sirius was shooting him, a small knowing smirk on his lips. Suddenly, he sprang forward in shock. "Damn it! How could I forget about him?"

"Forget about who?" Sirius asked warily.

"Snape," Death answered. "We'll need him. I can't believe he slipped my mind."

Sirius sat in silence for a moment. "Snape? Severus Snape?" He asked looking down at his teacup. "Why him? You do know he's a Deatheater, don't you?"

"He's more than a Deatheater, Sirius. He's much more." The old man replied as he returned to his tea. "And if you are to protect Harry, you will need his help. You need to end this old rivalry before one of you dies."
Sign up to rate and review this story