Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death, Destroyer of Worlds

Harry Meets Death

by LadyFoxFire 2 reviews

Death has the power to take lives or to save them. He's about to do both

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Dumbledore, Fudge, Harry, Lupin, Peter, Sirius, Snape - Published: 2005-06-27 - Updated: 2005-06-28 - 3058 words

5Original
Disclaimer: It's getting harder and harder to figure out amusing little saying in which I state I don't own the Harry Potter series nor to I make any money off of this fanfic.

Bad author note: I hate to say this but I had so much fun making Fudge into a world class jerk. But then again the man does seem to lend himself to it.







Harry Meets Death

by Lady FoxFire

Oct 25, 2003



Arthur was the first to arrive, having been in the building already. He stood in the doorway, nervously running his shaking hand through his thinning red hair as he took in the lavish changes to the normally drab room.

"Umm... Minister Fudge said that you wanted to see me," he began nervously.

"Yes. Do come in, Arthur," the old man replied warmly, and with a flick of his wrist, another well-padded leather high back chair appeared out of thin air. "Please have a seat while we wait for the others. Would you like a cup of tea?"

Arthur nodded his head in assent as he sat down nervously. "With cream, please."

A teacup floated over to Arthur as the old man poured himself another cup. "The gentleman to the left of you is Sirius Black. Don't worry; he's innocent of almost everything they are saying about him." The old man's eyes twinkled merrily when he noticed Weasley's edgy reaction to Black's name. "And I'm Death, your host."

All remaining colour drained from Arthur's pallid face as he sputtered disbelievingly into his teacup. "You enjoy doing that to people, don't you." Sirius pointed out sardonically with a shake of his head.

"One must take one's pleasures where one can," Death replied with a smirk. "So Arthur, how are Molly and the children? Ginny's what... three months?"

"Five. Well four and a half. I... How did you know?" Mr. Weasley asked with bemusement and a trace of panic evident in his voice.

"You have nothing to fear from me, Arthur." Death assured in a soothing tone. "You and your family will play a very important role in Harry's life."

"Huh?" Sirius sputtered in surprise

"Harry? Harry Potter?" Arthur mumbled in shock. "The Boy Who Lived?"

"Molly will be like a mother to him. Ron's a brother. The twins..." Death covered his face with his hand and chuckled slightly. "The twins are almost as bad as the Marauders. Almost. And Ginny..." Death's voice trailed off as a far away look came to his eyes.

"What about Ginny?" Arthur asked as he sat on the edge of his seat, his voice betraying the concern for his youngest child.

The sound of someone clearing his throat prevented further conversation. In the doorway stood Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody with Peter Pettigrew in shackles, flanked by the Longbottom couple. "I was told to bring this maggot here," Moody announced gruffly with a nod of his head towards Peter.

"Ah, Wormtail. We've been waiting for you." With a nod of Death's head a simple yet comfortable wooden chair appeared. Beside this a crude, roughly hewn wooden chair popped into existence. It's metal straps and a metal crown that morbidly radiated death.

Peter yelped in fear as he was ripped from the Longbottom by an unseen force and tossed unceremoniously into the crude chair. The metal straps slid down onto his wrists, ankles and across his chest as the crown tightly encircled his head. "Help me!! Get me out of this thing!" Peter screamed and fought against the straps in a blind panic. "I'm innocent! It was Sirius! He's the one you want. I swear, I'm innocent!"

"Quiet, Peter," Death commanded sternly in a sad old voice. Pettigrew opened his mouth to retort as he continued to fight the chair, but no sound issued, as his proclamations of innocence went unheard. "Much better. Now Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom, go home. Go home and spend some time with your son, Neville. Oh, and increase your wards and defensive system about your house."

The Longbottom shared a brief panicked look at the mention of his young son as Moody took a step protectively in front of the couple. "You're not threatening their child, are you?" Moony growled dangerously as he stared down at Death's reclining form. Moody held his wand lightly in his hand, preparing to do whatever was necessary.

"No, Alastor, I have no wish to harm the Longbottoms nor their child, but there are those who do." Death stood up and strode to the fire. He peered intently into the bright licking tongues of flame. "The Longbottom are well known as defenders of the light. Those... There are those who will search for Voldemort and for the Potter child. If they think you know anything they will come after you." The old man turned and looked at the couple. "Do you want your son to grow up without his parents?"

The couple looked at each other, the concern visible in their eyes. "Go!" snarled Moody "I have a feeling he's right. Get out of here."

Death turned and sat back into his seat. "Thank you, Alastor. Would you care for a cup of tea?"

"No," Moody growled in a firm tone as he crossed his arms in front of him, his wand still in his hand. "I don't think so."

Death nodded his head in understanding. "Constant vigilance, of course. At least have a seat." He beckoned with a wave to the simple wood chair. "It may be useful to have someone not involved in what is about to occur."

Mad-Eyed Moody studied Death for a few minutes before he let out a snort and sat down in the chair next to Pettigrew. "And what is about to occur?"

"You'll find out soon enough." A smug look appeared on Death's pale aged face.

"What is that chair?" Arthur suddenly asked after silently studying it from where he sat. "It looks like something a Muggle might use."

"That is Old Sparky," Death answered simply as if it explained everything, taking a swig of tea. "A Muggle electric chair from America, of course. The condemned are strapped into the chair, a switch is thrown, and a large surge of electricity is sent through the body." An evil smirk appeared on Death's face as he stared straight at Peter's face. "In other words, they cook him."

Arthur paled as he looked at the Muggle device in disgust. Setting his cup of tea down, he muttered, "I don't feel so well." He watched Peter thrust around trying desperately to escape this chair of death.

"Can I throw the switch?" Sirius growled, his eyes never leaving the terrified face of a man he once called his friend.

"Maybe later," Death replied as he bit into a biscuit. "I was never for capital punishment, but then again, we would only be exterminating a dirty sewage rat."

"I think you will find that Wizard law is more humane and just," Albus Dumbledore stated assertively as he swept quietly the room.

Death snorted sardonically at Dumbledore's statement. "Ahh, yes. It's where the guilty go free and the innocent are imprisoned without a trail."

Sirius stood up and stumbled a couple of steps in Dumbledore's direction. "Headmaster?" Sirius interrupted the two older men. "Where's Harry?" he asked, concern for his godson evident in his voice.

"He's safe," Dumbledore replied simply as he eyed Sirius sadly. "You have much to answer for, child."

Sirius lowered his eyes in shame at Dumbledore's words. "I know."

"He has nothing to answer for!" Death growled coldly as he glared at the Headmaster. "But you, Albus, you have much to answer for."

"I do?" Dumbledore asked questioningly. "Perhaps I do, but what I did was for the greater good." Albus sighed deeply, and strode over to Peter with a thoughtful look in his eyes as he glanced over the chair. "And are you judge, jury, and executioner? Will you be judging young Peter and myself."

Death shook his head no. "I am just the executioner, but not by choice. My lot in life was not set by the Gods nor Fate but by the hands of men too cowardly and lazy to do what was necessary."

"I hope you realize that you are taking up my very important time." Minister Fudge snipped angrily as he stormed in, followed by two dangerous looking Aurors. "Weasley, out of that chair!"

"Arthur, stay there," the old man directed as Arthur made to stand up. His piercing eyes scrutinized the Minister and those behind him. "Why are these men here?"

"They are my bodyguards. You don't expect me to be in the same room with a Deatheater without some form of protection," Fudge sneered with wave toward Sirius.

"Actually, yes." Suddenly, muffled pop resounded from behind the Minister. Fudge spun around to where his two guards had been, his jaw hanging. "Don't worry, they're quiet safe," Death asserted as he held up a crystal, the two Auror clearly trapped inside. "They're a bit uncomfortable, but safe."

Fudge sputtered in shock as his glance shifted between the crystal and Death. "You can't do that! That's against the law!"

Death looked at the crystal and raised an eyebrow. "Yes. Yes it is," Death replied indifferently as he turned back to Fudge. "So what are you going to do about it?" Placing the crystal down on the table next it him.

The Minister's mouth opened. And closed. And opened again. And shut again without a sound coming out. "Moody... Moody, arrest that man," he cried huffily.

Moody looked at Ministry Fudge with contempt. "And exactly how am I to do that?"

"Get some Aurors and..." Fudge's voice trailed off as he once again looked at his bodyguards trapped in a crystal. "Dumbledore. Albus Dumbledore is the world's most power wizard."

"Third," Death said simply as he sipped his tea.

"Pardon?" Fudge asked in confusion.

"I said that Dumbledore is the third most powerful wizard in the world," the old man uttered with a smirk on his face, enunciating each syllable slowly as he watched Fudge's reaction to his news, before his gaze swept across the room and settled on Dumbledore's. The slight tightening of the muscles in his neck was the only reaction Dumbledore allowed as he waited for Death to continue. " Third after myself and Tom."

"Tom?" Sirius asked bemusedly, "Who's Tom?"

"Tom Marvolo Riddle. Better know as Lord Voldemort." Faces paled as Dumbledore calmly spoke the name. Emerald green met periwinkle blue as Death and he played a contest of wills. "I'm curious, why were you not involved in the war?"

"Who said I wasn't," Death countered with his hands crossed in front of him. "What I did during the war was necessary for the Light to receive this small victory."

"Small victory!" Fudge exclaimed haughtily. "I would hardly call the destruction of the Dark Lord a small victory!"

"Voldemort isn't gone. Young Harry was able to banish him, but given enough time, Voldemort will find his way back."

The crackle of the fire was the only sound in the room as everyone but Peter stared at death in disbelief. Peter grinned righteously from the electric chair, knowing he had supported the right side in the war.

"It's the Potter child! The Dark Lord placed his soul into the boy's body! That's how he survived!" Fudge proclaimed with supreme confidence. "That's' why you summoned all of us! So we can destroy him while he's weak and helpless!"

"You'll have to kill me first before I allow you to touch one hair on my godson's head," Sirius snarled, a dangerous glint in his eyes.

"It's amazing that a man with such a minute mental capacity can come up with such amazing delusions. I can assure you, Minister, young Mr. Potter has never been possessed by Lord Voldemort."

"Then how did he survive the killing curse? That has never been done before, not even by the greatest of wizards!"

"That will be explained later. For now, we are waiting for Remus Lupin and young Harry to join us." Death announced with a grin as two teacups appeared on the table. "In the mean time, would anyone care for some tea?" With a snap of his finger two chairs appear. "And please, sit down and make yourselves at home."

"I refuse to sit on that!" Fudge spat in outrage as he pointed at the broken chair in front of him, with a missing leg and large rusted nails jutting through the wood of the broken seat.

Dumbledore's chair was slightly better; it was a rickety old chair that seemed to be barely able to hold the weight of a small child, let alone that of Dumbledore's.

Dumbledore smiled as he turned his gaze to the chair and nodded his head slightly. His normally impish smile suddenly faltered.

"Something amiss, Albus? Can't transfigure a simple chair?" Death taunted with a simple raised eyebrow. Dumbledore straighten his robes and carefully lowered himself on to the chair. "Don't worry about it. It's uncomfortable, but safe." He assured with a raise of his teacup in honour to the two men.

"One could assume that you have a low opinion of Headmaster and outright hatred for our Ministry if their chairs are any indication of what you think of them," Moody commented thoughtfully as he silently watched the interplay between the men.

"One would be correct in one's assumption."

"But why?" Sirius asked as he looked back and forth between Dumbledore and Death. "I mean, I can understand hating Fudge, but why don't you like Dumbledore? I mean he's Dumbledore. You can trust him."

"I have my reasons," replied Death with a frigid voice.

"And they are?" Arthur asked nervously as he looked back and forth between the two powerful wizards.

"Moo. Moo." A child's voice echoed down the halls and into the room.

"Yes, Harry." A tired voice replied as the sounds came closer. "Harry... Harry, please... Please stop pulling my hair. Harry. Please. Stop. Please."

Sirius covered his mouth as he snickered. "You know better than to have your hair down around Harry." Sirius called out to those in the hall. "For some reason, Harry just loves to pull Remus's hair." He explained to everyone else.

"Sirius?" The voice that could be only Remus queried cautiously.

"Mr. Lupin, please come in and bring young Mr. Potter with you. I guarantee both of your safety."

Remus approached the doorway like a weary wolf looking for a trap. He slowly took in everyone in the room, his eyes resting on Sirius and Death for a moment but his jaw dropped when he saw Pettigrew. "Umm... is that a Muggle electric chair?"

"Yes it is," Death affirmed with pride in his eyes. "I thought to put him in an iron maiden but for some reason this seemed more appropriate."

"Remus," Sirius called to his friend, taking a step towards him and Harry. "I did not betray Lily and James. I wasn't the Secret Keeper. Peter was."

"Sirius, I..." Remus shook his head in disbelief as he pulled Harry towards Sirius into a warm embrace, his eyes never straying from his friend. "I don't know what to think. The only thing I know, is that if they try to send Harry back to that house... I'll rip their throats out." Remus took a deep shuttering breath as he forced his inner wolf back. "It was awful. They had locked him in the cupboard under the stairs. He had the same cloths on from that night. I don't think they even fed or changed him."

Sirius's eyes hardened at his friend's words. "You," Sirius turned and snarled at the Headmaster, "You did this! You placed my godson-Lily and James's son-with those... those... monsters!"

The Headmaster's eyes widened at Remus's words. "I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation," he began as he tried to calm the situation. "Perhaps they were hiding the child in fear of another attack on the family."

"Or it could be they think he's a freak but are to scared of wizards to drown the child," Death countered with a smirk, placing his cup on the table.

"Sirius?" Remus prompted in a voice slightly louder than a whisper.

"It's ok, Moony. I trust him. Don't ask my why, but I do," Sirius replied, laying a comforting hand on his friends' shoulder

"Perhaps we should get introductions out of the way. I am Death, your host. And you are Remus Lupin, one of the three remaining Marauders, soon to be one of two remaining members," Death stated his eyes quickly glancing over at Peter. "And that, is young Mr. Potter, hero of the wizarding world."

Harry looked at Death and held his arms out to the old man.

"Come here, Harry." Death beckoned as he held out his arms to the young boy. Harry clapped his hands as he floated out of Remus's grasp and a cross the room, giggling the whole time.

Remus tried to grab Harry, to keep him from going to the old man, only to be stopped by Sirius. "Trust him," Sirius whispered.

"You can't do that!" Fudge sputtered. "You can't do magic in this room!"

Almost everyone rolled their eyes at Fudge's inane comment as the man ignored the transformed room.

Once Harry was in Death's arms, a soft white glow enveloped both of them. The glow seemed to pulse like a heart for a moment, before being absorbed back into them.

Sirius swallowed nervously as he edged his way closer to his godson. "What was that?" his asked, his cracking voice betraying his concern.

"What was what?" Death looked over at Sirius, his brow furrowed in confusion.

"The glow," Remus added as he mirrored Sirius and edged closer to Harry. "When you touched Harry, both of you began to glow."

"Oh, that," Death replied as he turned his attention back to Harry. "It's nothing for you to be concern yourselves with."

"That's my godson you have in your arms," Sirius growled as he stepped forward until he was face to face with Death, "That makes it my concern." He barked as he watched Harry giggles and plays with Death's hair.

Sirius gasped suddenly as he stumbled back. His eyes widened in disbelief as he stared at Death, who just beamed at him knowingly and nodded his head.
Sign up to rate and review this story