Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Pink and Blue Blues

Cold Reality

by zeez5 1 review

Sakura fears she may be pregnant.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Hinata, Ino, Iruka, Kakashi, Naruto, Sakura, Tsunade - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-09-19 - Updated: 2006-09-19 - 1544 words

1Moving
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto

AN: This has been fermenting in my brain for a while and I had to get it out. I'm going to need a better title at some point. This is actually going to be the end (I think) of a sort of trilogy along with Exactly Like You and Ain't Misbehavin', which isn't quite finished yet, although this story could follow after ELY just fine.

-------------------------------------------


Chapter 1: Cold Reality

Sakura sat on the floor of her bathroom with her back against the wall. She had her arms wrapped around her drawn up knees. She squeezed her eyes shut as she let the waves of terror subside. Please, don't let this happen! Please don't let it be true!

Her period was two weeks late. After the first week, she thought maybe it was because of the strenuous training that Tsunade had been putting her through. The fear still nagged at her, but she tried to rationalize it. It would happen. It was just a fluke.

After the second week, it was getting a lot harder to shrug it off. She clutched her head in her hands. The words kept echoing in her mind, no matter how hard she tried to stop them. I'm pregnant and I'm seventeen! I'm pregnant and I'm seventeen!

She had spent her birthday a month or so ago celebrating with her friends, Tsunade having given her a rare day off from training. It was nice to be able to relax for a while. Things had been tense in the village. Sasuke's whereabouts were unknown at this point, as were Orochimaru's. The members of Akatsuki were lying low for now. In a way, no news was good news, but the uncertainty was still a great source of worry. Then Sakura's father had died on a mission some months earlier. The Hokage was now, for all intents and purposes, her guardian, although she was staying on in her old home by herself. Sakura was feeling a little lost and disconnected, and being with her friends helped.

Naruto treated them all to ramen. Ino gave her an enormous bouquet of roses, and Hinata gave her a little enamel flower pendant. She enjoyed her friends' kindness and their company, but the one person she truly wanted to be with was not there. Kakashi was still away on mission, and he had promised to try to return by today. It must have been a hard promise to keep. She missed him deeply, wishing only that she could just be in his arms, but she had to keep those feelings hidden.

Later that night, she dozed off on her couch, wearing a camisole and boxers, a medical textbook lying open across her chest. She was startled awake by the touch of someone's lips on her forehead. Her eyes blinked open and she saw Kakashi kneeling next to the couch.

She gave a gasp of delight. "You're back!" She threw her arms around him and kissed him. With her arms still around his neck, he moved onto the couch, returning her kiss passionately.

"Happy birthday," he whispered in her ear. "It isn't quite midnight, so just like I promised, I didn't miss it."

Sakura pressed her face against his vest, breathing in the cold, fresh scent of the outside air that still clung to it. "I'm so glad your back! I missed you so much!"

"I missed you, too. That was a long two weeks."

"How did the mission go? Are you hurt? Anything bro-"

He pressed his lips against hers briefly, then said, "I'm fine. The mission was easy, just involved a lot of traveling. Here." He bent down and picked something up from the floor. "I had to stop by my place first to pick this up. Happy birthday, Sakura."

He placed a wooden box in her hands. The lid was inlaid with different shades of wood, creating an intricate geometric design.

"Open it."

Sakura lifted the lid, revealing a shallow space lined with dark blue velvet. From underneath the lining she heard a tiny click, and a clear, sweet melody started playing from within the box. The tune was very pretty, although a little sad, almost haunting. She listened to it all the way through, a smile playing on her lips. She looked up at Kakashi.

"This is so beautiful! Thank you! Where did you find this?"

"I actually got it at that little import shop here before I went on my mission," Kakashi replied.

Sakura carefully set the box on the nearby table, then turning back to Kakashi, she flung her arms around him, forcing him back on the couch. Lying on top of him, she pressed her lips against his. Laughing softly, he held her closer to him, sliding his hands down over her hips and up her inner thighs, his fingertips slipping under her shorts. She sighed with pleasure at his touch and kissed him harder.

That was probably the point at which things sort of got out of control, but neither of them would ever have admitted it at the time. Kakashi stood up, and with Sakura's legs wrapped around his hips, he carried her into the bedroom.

Sakura laid her head on her forearms and closed her eyes, the bathroom tile hard against her back and tailbone. She'd do it again, there was no doubt about that. It might have been incredibly stupid, but it had been the most wonderful night of her life. After experiencing the most glorious ecstasy, she lay contentedly in his protective embrace, her cheek against his bare chest. After a while, she glanced up to smile at him, and caught him gazing at the ceiling with a slightly concerned look on his face.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

He looked at her and gave her a hint of a smile. Kissing her lightly on the forehead, he said, "It's a little late now, but I'm not entirely sure we should have done this."

"I'm sure!" she replied in a determined voice. "Kakashi, I love you! I wanted to do this!"

Kakashi sighed quietly. "I did, too. I just hope..." He let his voice trail off.

Sakura didn't want to ruin her happiness by worrying about consequences. She kissed him, pressing her body against his, and putting aside any concerns for a little while longer, they made love one more time before Kakashi had to slip out unseen and return to this own apartment.

She knew she should not be surprised. She knew way in the back of her mind that this could very easily happen. At the time, of course, they were both in a very serious state of denial. Now she just felt lost and alone, and all her shinobi training and self-discipline was being swept aside by the overwhelming and desperate need to be held tightly in Kakashi's arms at that moment and to hear his calm, soothing voice tell her that everything would be all right.

She wasn't even sure how or even if she should tell him. He had been out on missions almost constantly in the last month, and she had barely been able to see him, let alone talk to him. They hadn't discussed the future that much, a ninja's lifespan always being an uncertain thing. It was understood between them that as soon as she turned eighteen they would no longer worry about keeping their relationship a secret. People still might think it was questionable, but they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Beyond, that, though, they had made no plans, certainly not about having a family. She didn't even know if that was something he wanted. That was yet another thing to dread. What if he was angry? No, he wouldn't be, she convinced herself. Not about being a father, anyway. Getting in trouble about it, maybe.

She couldn't keep the thought out of her mind of how Tsunade might react if she found out. Make that when she found out. It was the one thing that had preyed on their minds the most. Sakura wasn't so much worried for herself. Sure, Tsunade would be livid with her. It was Kakashi that she feared for. The Hokage's rage, when aroused, was legendary. If she found out that he had not only been having an affair with her precious student, but had gotten her pregnant, there was no telling what would happen.

Sakura finally got to her feet and stood in front of her mirror. She looked a little pale, but otherwise seemed all right. She was sure that her fear and guilt were stamped all over her forehead. After a few more minutes of consideration, she decided that silence would be the best for all concerned. For now. The future might actually turn out better than she hoped, but it was not likely.

Sakura shook her head, vainly trying to force the worry from her mind. She had to get dressed and get over to the hospital. Things had to stay as normal as they could while they still could.

---------------------------------

AN: In keeping with my sort of musical themes, the tune played by the music box is "Solvejg's Song", a sort of pop classical work from Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt."
Sign up to rate and review this story