Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > 67 Days

Chapter Six

by CaptainRiren 0 reviews

The aftermath.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2018-07-05 - 2968 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Check his vitals."

"How is he?"

"His pulse is weak -"

"What are the damages?"

"Sir, we can't really tell when you're -"

"Are there any other survivors?"

"Nile, if you don't back the fuck off and let search and rescue do their job, Marlo is going to be the only survivor!"

Damn right, Levi thought idly when he heard Erwin's snapping tone. Shove a spear up his ass and stick him over a fire.

It took him all of five seconds to register he was conscious, another two to feel the hands on him, and another couple for the pain to flare in his abdomen. Then he was screeching, an inhuman noise tearing from his throat as he began to flail, knocking the foreign limbs away from his wound and attempting to scoot backwards. He couldn't move. He resorted to covering the wound with his forearms, snarling viciously at the people kneeling around him.

"Where's Erwin?"

The ravenet's eyes darted around, vision blurred. The figures were faceless. He couldn't see - was going blind - had they given him something? Was he dying? His breath quickened, chest heaving, and suddenly the pain in his stomach was doubling, tripling, until he was crying out in agony.

"Hold him down!"

His limbs were being forced to the cold concrete. He couldn't move. The strength he'd been known for was completely depleted.

"Where is he?!" Levi demanded again, voice considerably weaker. "I know I heard him!"

"Levi!"

A ray of hope. The voice he knew so well, sounding relieved.

"Administering tranquilizer!"

His muscles relaxed nearly instantly, and his eyes rolled into the back of his head as the world went black again.

.-.-.-.-.

Eren awoke to a black world, gasping for air and heart pounding, feeling as though the organ would tear out of his chest. He grasped blindly in the dark for the switch to his lamp. When light finally flooded the room, breath finally filled his lungs properly, and his heart started to calm from his dream.

Light. Amazing how something so simple was so soothing. So taken advantage of so often by so many people elsewhere.

Eren ran a shaking hand through his hair and idly noted he needed a shower. He couldn't even remember the details of his dream. What could possibly affect him so badly? What could bring him to such a panic upon awakening? And yet he knew he shouldn't question it, shouldn't try to remember. He didn't want to remember. It would only make things worse.

How long had it been now that he had been suffering chronic nightmares? Days? Weeks? How long had it been dark? How long since he had spoken to his sister or friends? To Levi?

Levi. The realization hit him like a brick wall. He checked his phone in slight panic. Just when had he gone to sleep? How had it been nearly two days since he called? How long was he awake before he passed out? All he could remember was the concern keeping him awake, and then . . . and then what? Why was it he could only remember a few hours after their conversation? Their brief conversation where Levi had not so reassuringly reassured him, and they . . . they . . .

They got to see each other's faces for the first time.

It probably shouldn't have interrupted his concerns, but it did. Eren should have been more focused on other more concerning things, but he couldn't help it. He wished he had tried to memorize the features, rather than gawking like a fool, but he couldn't forget those eyes or the way those jet-black locks fell over them. He remembered the feeling of being mesmerized. He remembered how warm his cheeks had been, and they were heating up now.

Eren didn't believe in love at first sight, but crush at first sight? Let's just say he wasn't opposed to hearing more of that voice saying his name and watching those smooth lips move. But he wouldn't ever get that if Levi died, and Eren found his heart dropping immediately. The mission would be done by now, but would Levi be available if he was alive? Was he alive?

The answer hit him suddenly, and he felt so stupid for not thinking of it before panicking. Hanji. Hanji would know. He'd never pulled up Skype so quickly.

"Eren. I was about to call."

She picked up on the first ring, as always, but the greeting was much less exuberant than usual. The woman sounded tired, distressed even. The relief that had hit him moments before was smothered instantly with concern that made his stomach churn.

"How's Levi?"

A burst of static that signified a heavy sigh, and then, "Stable, now."

"Stable?" Eren echoed, the feeling of dread intensifying. "Hanji?"

"He was shot in the stomach twice." Her voice shook, and she sounded as though she was about to cry. "We almost lost him."

"But he's okay now, right?" Eren asked hopefully. "Stable is good, right?"

"It is good," Hanji confirmed. Her voice still quavered, but she seemed to be composing herself quickly from that moment of weakness, as though it hadn't happened. "But there may be permanent damage. He'll live, but . . . "

"But?" Eren pressed. The fear had just started to fade, and now it was back. "But what, Hanji?"

"He might not ever walk again. One of the bullets was damn close to his spine; I was kicked out before they started operating, so I don't know what condition he's in."

Eren was speechless for a moment. To lose mobility of one's legs . . . it sounded horrible. A terrible punishment for doing no wrong.

Swallowing dryly, the brunet asked, "You'll keep me updated, right?"

"Of course."

Silence was Eren's response, and Hanji made an effort at consolation.

"They're going to do their best to save him, Eren. It'll be okay."

Eren let out a shaky sigh. "I hope you're right."

"Look on the bright side, Eren. He's still going to survive, regardless. He's stable. He's okay. There's no damage to his brain." There was that, Eren acknowledged silently. Even if Levi's legs never worked, he was still going to live, and he would still be the same cranky asshole. "And, hey, if he has to wheel himself around all the time, he's not going to be going out and risking his life anytime soon, you know?"

"Hanji, that's morbid," Eren immediately scolded, but found himself laughing nonetheless. He was shocked at how nice it felt to laugh, how the tension from his shoulders relaxed and the anxiety overwhelming him lessened ever so slightly. He found he couldn't stop himself, and the giggles continued, despite Hanji's words having not even been funny.

"I'm serious," she insisted, her cackling joining Eren's, and he realized she must have been experiencing the same emotions - probably more intensely, as Hanji and Levi were best friends. "Oh my god, imagine him in a wheelchair, spitting threats and shaking his fists at everyone."

"He'd probably try to run you over for laughing at him."

"Oh, on the daily."

It was nice, Eren realized, having someone there, talking and laughing with him. When was the last time he'd laughed? The last time he'd let himself laugh? He couldn't remember. Had he really ever laughed with Levi? He didn't know. Had he last laughed with Levi? With his friends before they left? Far before that? He didn't know. But regardless, he was laughing now, and it felt amazing.

"Hey, Hanji - "

Just as Eren started to speak to thank her for the stress relief, she interrupted in an excited tone, speaking almost too quickly for the brunet to understand.

"Erwin just told me I can go in! I'll get right back to you, okay? I'll message you with updates."

"Oh," Eren found himself saying, eyebrows drawn together in confusion. It took him a moment to fully register what the woman had said, and then he was perking up, hardly managing his words without a stutter. "Oh! Yeah, go! Tell me everything, okay?"

"I will! Be careful, Eren! Go shower and eat if you haven't already. I'll be right back!"

How had she known? But then again, Hanji was stressed, too, and probably wasn't doing much of either herself.

"I will," Eren promised. "You too, Hanji."

"I will later," she promised in return, and then she hung up.

Eren let his hand fall to his lap, and then he was falling back onto his bed, eyes sliding shut as he processed the information he was given. Levi was okay. Mostly. Maybe some spinal nerve damage. May lose use of his legs. Still okay. Still mentally fine. Still functioning. He was going to be alright.

With that knowledge fresh in his mind, Eren curled onto his side, wrapping himself up again in his blankets. He would shower and eat later; for now, he was going to shoot for sleep, while he was still calm and relaxed.

This time, he didn't dream.

.-.-.-.-.

Levi's return to consciousness was like waking up from an unplanned nap; he was groggy, dehydrated, and he didn't want to move or open his eyes. But there were voices to his left, and they kept him from falling back asleep, a constant drone in the room. Like an alarm clock he just couldn't reach, but he tried nonetheless, extending an arm out to grasp blindly at his bedside table.

"Levi?"

The drone lessened slightly, and for a moment, words were discernible. A hand held Levi's reaching one, and the ravenet furrowed his brows slightly, eyes still closed. Hands? On an alarm clock? What sort of drugs was he on?

"Levi, how are you feeling?"

Levi swiped at the foreign thing, and he could have sworn he felt a face and glasses under his hand. Dismissing it - confused as he was, he couldn't quite bring himself to care - he grumbled, "Shut up and let me sleep, you weird ass clock."

What a weird dream, he thought idly as he nuzzled back under the covers to drift off again. But then the alarm started up again, and he let out a mildly distressed grumble. Hadn't he hit snooze already? Fifteen minutes couldn't have passed yet, could it?

"Clock? That's a new one!" Finally the words were becoming comprehensible, and Levi gave an instinctual groan as the familiarity clicked. "Man, they must have had to seriously drug you."

"Shut up," Levi nearly whined, refusing to open his eyes. "I'm trying to sleep."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Ackerman, but it's time for a checkup," an unfamiliar voice crooned, and he heard light footsteps and wheels creaking. "I'm going to need you to sit up, okay? Do you need any help?"

"Oh, fuck me," the ravenet croaked, cracking an eye open and wincing at the bright light. Like ripping off a bandaid, he encouraged himself as he forced both eyes open. He took a few minutes to observe his surroundings before he realized where, exactly, he was, and uttered a quiet, "Oh."

"Surprise!" Hanji shouted, waggling her fingers. "You're in the hospital! Glad to know we're all on the same page now!"

The hospital . . . so he was badly hurt. The details of the mission were blurry, but he remembered death and gunfire. Things must have gone awry, and he was injured, but he only had one real concern at the moment.

"Was the mission a success?"

Hanji hesitated before answering, "The objective was completed."

"Ah," was the only response Levi had.

He knew what Hanji's phrasing meant: heavy casualties. Immediately, he recalled how Petra's head had literally exploded, and a spike of sadness pierced his heart. There was a possibility the others were alive, but not likely. Levi had learned not to hope for much. Had his entire squad died like that? An execution?

He shook his head slightly; he would mourn later. For now, he had his own health to worry about. Levi gripped onto the metal bars on either side of the bed to help hoist himself up. The nurse darted forward to help, but she was too late.

"Fuck my ass!" Levi ground out as pain exploded in his abdomen, and Hanji's cackles assaulted his ears. He immediately spat at her, "Go fuck a cactus!"

"I should have warned you," the nurse fretted as she helped Levi sit. "I'm so sorry! I'm sure that really hurts - "

"Bit of a fuckin' twinge, yeah," the man snapped, and Hanji laughed harder. Levi narrowed his eyes dangerously at her, snarling, "Shut the fuck up before I shove my foot so far up your ass you'll be the cripple!"

"Mr. Ackerman, please calm down so I can accurately take your blood pressure!" The nurse looked extremely nervous at all the threats. "And I highly advise keeping your feet out of Miss Zoe's bottom while you're still healing!"

Unable to control herself, Hanji's knees buckled and she grasped the bed railing, weak with mirth. Levi let himself fall back against the pillows the nurse had propped up, sighing slightly as his anger faded. He reached out and ground his knuckles against the top of his friend's head.

"You're a nut, you know that, Four-Eyes?"

"Well at least I'm tall."

"Shut the hell up." Levi held out his arm for the nurse to wrap the cuff around his bicep, and threaded the fingers of his other hand through his hair. "What other casualties were there?"

Hanji hesitated, but she knew there was no point in dramatizing it. "You entire squad died. Marlo was the only survivor of squad Dreyse. Marlo reports that you . . . you killed all of them. Every member in that gang. Then you shot the leader in the head, several times. You didn't stop until you were out of bullets."

She sounded oddly intrigued, wide brown eyes on his face, watching for a visible response. Levi sighed, closing his eyes as the nurse pulled off the cuff and pulled a stethoscope off a hook on the cart she'd brought in. "At least they're gone," he said. "The last thing we need is for them to regroup."

"That's what Erwin said, too," Hanji replied, watching with curiosity as the nurse pressed the tool to Levi's chest and listened. "Nile threw a fit over the casualties, but the job got done."

"I don't blame him," Levi said grimly, glancing at his lap guiltily. "That's a big sacrifice to make, even if it's for the good of humanity." There was no response, so he turned his focus to his stomach. "So what exactly am I looking at here?"

"Two 9mm rounds fired point-blank, to quote Marlo." Hanji shook her head, looking both bewildered and fascinated. "You shouldn't have survived, honestly, but you did. Not to say that's a bad thing or anything! I'm glad you lived."

Levi snorted. "Thanks." He prodded at the bandage around his abdomen experimentally. "Will there be any lasting damage?"

"Your stomach ruptured, but we got that fixed right up," the nurse piped in. "A few spinal nerves were damaged. We're not certain how that will affect you, nor how long. Can you move your legs?"

Apprehension crossed Levi's features, and suddenly he was hesitant. Could he move his legs? Suddenly, he couldn't recall if he'd used them to push himself upright. First, he shifted his right leg; an odd tingle - like pins and needles - ran down the appendage, but he could feel and flex it. He bent his knee and rolled his ankle, just to be sure. The odd feeling persisted, but it faded into the background.

Then came the left. The room's occupants all held their breath. Levi furrowed his brows in concentration, and, breathing in deeply, commanded his muscles to move.

Nothing.

After several moments, his hands came up to cover his face, and he let out a shuddering breath.

"Levi . . . "

"Fuck," he whispered, voice cracking slightly. "Fuck. Fuck . . . "

"Levi," Hanji repeated, stronger this time. She pulled at one of his hands, lacing their fingers together. "Levi, it'll be okay."

"I can't even feel it. I can't - " He jabbed his leg harshly. " - feel - " He slammed his fist down on his left thigh, anger consuming him. " - anything!"

"Levi - "

"How am I going to be of any use like this?!" Levi spat, glaring at his lame limb in disgust. "I'm a fucking gimp, Hanji. I'm useless now - "

"Levi, shut up," Hanji interrupted, squeezing his hand as a sort of reprimand. "It'll be fine. Yeah, you're a cripple. So what? You're still one of our most brilliant officers. Erwin will find you a desk job."

"I don't want a desk job," Levi snarled.

"Uhm . . . if I may?" the nurse intercepted hesitantly. They both shifted their focus to her, and she looked away, unable to meet either officer's eyes. "I'm not a doctor, but I think you have monoplegia? Which can sometimes be temporary. Which means with some physical therapy, you could be walking around like nothing ever happened."

"See, Levi?" Hanji said, beaming. "It'll be fine, like I said!"

"W-Well," the nurse hurriedly corrected her, "not necessarily. But it's still likely some sort of recovery can happen. Maybe you won't be running anymore, but you could probably walk with a cane."

"A cane," Levi echoed, still furious. "Great. Just great. I'm too young for this, damn it."

"At least it's not a wheelchair," Hanji pointed out. Levi grumbled in response. She was right - it wasn't the worst that could happen.

"I guess." He leaned back, sighing in exhaustion. "High hopes, low expectations."

.-.-.-.-.

Riiing . . . riiing . . . rii -

"Levi?!"

A low chuckle answered Eren, one that had a wide smile spreading across his face and his muscles tensing in excitement.

"Long time no see, kid."
Sign up to rate and review this story