Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Mine

Chapter Nine

by CaptainRiren 0 reviews

Experiments gone wrong.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2018-07-06 - 1566 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Was it fun, beating him up like that?"

The pitiful whimpers and cries only fueled his rage. He kicked harder, curling his lips into a disgusted grimace. This stupid kid, this fucking brat, had the nerve to act as if he didn't deserve the beating he received.

"Was it fun seeing him at your mercy? Feeling his blood on your knuckles? Knowing that he was defenseless against your fury?!"

"P-Please!" Jean cried out. He truly was a pitiful sight - face bruised and bloody, arms bent at awkward angles, snot, tears, and blood mingling and running down his face in a disgusting mess. "Please s-sir - I w-won't tell a-anyone - gahh!"

He let out a pained shout when a foot connected with his face. The raven-haired captain yanked him upright by the hair, nails digging ruthlessly into his scalp.

"I understand you, in a sense," he growled. He didn't sound very understanding. "I know what it's like to be someone's god, to have them completely at my mercy in their last moments. But you chose the wrong fucking victim, Jean." Last names were no longer a thing. Levi didn't care for the chain of command. He didn't care if this was a crime. This was personal.

"Please -"

"'Please' doesn't fix anything, you fucking idiot!" Levi threw him against the wall, watching in satisfaction at the telltale noise of his fractured ribs being further damaged. "Nobody -" He snarled each word, kicking the two-toned kid each time. "- touches - my - fucking - Eren!"

He finished with a final stomp to the face, and finally the aggravating noise that was Jean Kirschstein's pitiful sobbing went quiet. Levi glanced down at his boots, filthy with the boy's blood, and clicked his tongue irritably. He carefully slid out of his boots and stepped away from the slowly growing puddle of blood. He knew he couldn't leave his footsteps. He quickly snatched his shoes and hurried back down the hall towards his room, careful to make sure they didn't drip blood on the floor.

Thankfully his favorite brat was still sleeping soundly, breathing quiet and even. Levi tiptoed to the bathroom, running water in the sink and siphoning the blood off his shoes. He set them in their usual place as if he'd never left, then settled back down with his lover, who continued to sleep like a rock. Levi wrapped his arms possessively around the boy, and Eren responded by snuggling deep into the embrace with a little mewl that immediately had Levi's remaining anger simmering down to a low hum.

He pressed a kiss to the top of his brat's head, falling asleep with the contentment that came with another threat being taken care of.

.-.-.-.-.

Things were quiet for a while, both in terms of people and the murders. Hopeful whispers spoke of the murders having ended, claiming perhaps Jean himself was the murderer and that was why they had stopped. That assumption made Eren feel sick. The other popular conclusion was that the murderer was biding his time, making them feel safe before he or she struck again. Another suspicion was that there were multiple murderers. Eren knew both were wrong. The murders weighed heavily on his shoulders. In one way or another, they were his fault.

His friends still stuck close to him for the most part. Some had been suspicious at first, but after witnessing Eren break down at breakfast one warning, they were pretty well convinced he hadn't done anything. But that only led them to question, who had? It was difficult, not telling them anything. Eren wanted to so badly. Yet above his desire to bring the culprit to justice was the desperate hope that he wouldn't give Levi any reason to want to kill any of them.

Not only that, but was conflicted when it came to telling the truth about Levi. Did he want the murders to stop? Yes, absolutely, with all his heart. Did he want the murderer to pay for what he'd done? Yes, he did. But did he really want that if it was Levi? He didn't know. He didn't want his lover taken from him. There wasn't a single doubt in his mind that Levi would executed for his crimes, either shot or publicly hanged. Perhaps the rest of the corps would lynch him before the central government could even get their hands on him.

The thought made his heart clench painfully.

"Are you listening, brat?"

Speak of the devil -

"... I'm sorry, sir. Could you please repeat that?"

Levi narrowed his eyes slightly in concern, his irritation fading at how subdued Eren was. Usually he would be flustered if caught daydreaming.

"It's time for you to head up to Hanji's office," he said slowly, "remember? She apparently has a special experiment to run." He scowled slightly at his words, obviously very irate at the fact that he hadn't been let in on the details. "She'll fill you in when you get there."

"Oh. Yeah." He vaguely remembered telling the scientist he was fine for experimenting that morning. Eren uncurled himself from the couch in Levi's office, stretching briefly and groaning when his joints popped. It was unhealthy to stay in such a position all day, not to mention several days in a row, but he hadn't been able to bring himself to do much else unless ordered to. "I guess I'll see you later, then, Captain." He made his way for the door, doing his best not to drag his exhausted feet.

"Eren."

The brunet glanced back at Levi. "Yes, sir?"

"Don't hesitate to tell her 'no,' got it? You're not in any condition to strain yourself."

Eren blinked at him, surprised. "I know that, but don't you trust her, Captain?"

"I don't trust anyone but you."

"Hanji may be a titan fanatic, but she won't do anything that won't help us learn more about my titan form. And besides, if I get hurt, I'll just heal anyways."

Levi sent him a withering glare. "Don't say shit like that. You shouldn't have to bear through abuse just because you can take it. Technically speaking, she has power over you, but don't take her shit. If you want her to stop, make her stop."

There was a threat in his words, and Eren knew it wasn't directed at him. He lowered his head and opened the door. "... yes, sir. I'll see you at dinner."

.-.-.-.-.

Eren blinked awake sleepily, Levi and Hanji's faces swimming into view above him. Neither of them were focused on him. Someone was shouting, Levi looked angry. Eren's mind was hazy. What had just happened?

"Are you fucking insane, Hanji?!"

"You've always said I was."

"Don't fucking kid around! What the fuck made you think this was a good idea?!"

"Levi, calm down!" A new voice, and Eren struggled to put it to a face as the fog slowly began to lift.

"I am not going to calm down! What would you have done if I hadn't come fast enough, huh?! You fucking idiot! Are you suicidal?! You almost got yourself and everyone around you killed, what if -"

"Captain Levi, calm down, that's an order!"

"Erwin -" Levi cut himself off, looking absolutely furious, and released Hanji's shirt. He looked down just in time to catch Eren blinking blearily up at him, confused and a bit frightened.

"C-Captain? What's going on?"

His body was hot and his limbs were mostly numb, a faint ache present. He tried to wriggle his fingers and toes, only to find they weren't there. As details became clearer, he saw there was blood on Levi's face and coat, blood that was rapidly evaporating. Erwin's face came into view and his three superiors looked down at him with concern.

"I think I'd like to know the same thing," Erwin stated sternly, looking between the squad leaders. Levi gave Hanji a pointed glare, and she relented.

"I was just experimenting. Eren gave his consent, and he never told me to stop, so -"

"Hanji," Erwin said warningly. "Details. What was the experiment?"

"I was injecting him with different chemicals to see if they could force him into shifting," Hanji explained, looking anywhere but at her comrades. "Acidic things, to induce pain, and of course, to see if he would heal from the internal damage. That was a success. The pain didn't seem to last long at all. But one of the stronger acids was enough, and, well, he shifted."

"And lost his damn mind," Levi spat. "You put the entire fucking headquarters at risk!"

"Levi, stand down. Take care of Eren. I'll deal with this."

Levi glared harshly at the commander for a moment but relented, scooping Eren up in his arms. Already he was halfway healed, but he was dizzy and feverish from the high heat. Eren nestled into the smaller man's chest, eyes drooping. He couldn't bring himself to care at the moment. He was tired, nobody was hurt, and Levi had him.

But just before he drifted off, he heard a quiet mumble:

"... fucking kill her..."

.-.-.-.-.

Captain's concern is crazy sometimes. I already knew he was overprotective, but he was pissed at Hanji. Technically she hadn't done anything outside of her power, but...

... I hope Levi doesn't take any drastic measures...
Sign up to rate and review this story