Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > The World Has Turned - Part I

Chapter 1

by stevenghost 1 review

Kagome is badly injured in battle. How far will Inuyasha go to save her?

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Miroku, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-20 - Updated: 2006-09-20 - 1173 words

1Insightful
Disclaimer: I am obviously not cool or smart enough to own such brilliant characters such as these. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and the companies that she works with.

Authors notes: This is my first ever Inuyasha fic. I'm a bit nervous about it for a few reasons. 1-I haven't written anything of substance in a long, LONG time. 2-Action scenes tend to kill me. 3-I'm very worried about going all OOC on your asses. I am in the market for 2 betas--one for spelling, grammar, and punctuation and one for characterization. If anyone is interested PLEASE PLEASE get a hold of me. All mistakes are my own so far, seeing as I have no beta yet. Oh, italics represent thoughts. And with that, on to the story.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha shouted as the demon knocked her arrow aside and slashed her with his deadly sharp claws. "Damn you! You'll regret ever laying a hand on her you bastard!" Inuyasha's fury was evident in his flaring golden eyes.

The giant demon made another move towards the fallen girl but he was too slow.

"Backlash wave!" The demon gave a roar of agony and landed in scattered pieces across the hard dirt ground.

"Inuyasha! Can you sense the shard at all?" Miroku hurriedly asked, rushing towards his companion.

"Who gives a damn about the shard? Kagome's hurt!" The half demon leapt to her side, ignoring the whimpering Shippo by his side.

"Inuyasha, she's hurt really bad! Look at all the blood!"

Damn it Kagome, I told you to stay out of the way!

He picked up her limp form gently and said, "I'm taking her to Kaede. Get back as fast as you can." And with those words he ran desperately towards the village.

You better not die on me Kagome!
---
Four days later

"Inuyasha, don't you think you would be better off getting some rest? You aren't helping Kagome by exhausting yourself." Miroku rested a hand gently on his friend's shoulder.

"Who gives a damn about sleep? I'm not letting anything or anyone else harm her."

The monk's eyes absorbed the half demon's tense posture, his sullen face and his angry eyes. "Kagome willingly went to battle Inuyasha. She knew the danger and accepted it. Do not blame yourself for her injuries."

Inuyasha's blazing eyes glared at Miroku. "She was an idiot! I told her to stay back but she never listens! I told her to let me protect her but she never lets me! Human's like her shouldn't battle demons!" He stood angrily and crossed his arms, guarding the entryway to the hut. "Now go away monk, before I make you leave."

The brown haired man sighed, frustrated at his friend's reaction to his presence. "At least tell me how she is. Sango and Shippo are worried and you're not helping matters by not letting anyone but Kaede into the hut."

For the first time in four days, Miroku saw Inuyasha's guard fall. His shoulders slumped forward and his eyes were fearful. His voice barely a whisper he replied, "She's dying Miroku. And for once, I can't save her."
---
The inside of the hut was dim, the only light coming from the small fire Kaede had built to keep Kagome warm. The shadows of death filled the room with an uncomfortable and terrifying presence.

Kaede gently pressed the wet cloth across one of the five cuts that had nearly ripped Kagome in two. She felt Inuyasha lurking on the other side of the door flap, anxiously awaiting news. "Come in Inuyasha. Ye do know how to make an old priestess nervous."

"Is she covered up old hag?"

"It hardly matters. Not now, when she is in such a state. Come in. I know Kagome would want ye by her side."

The flap was lifted and Inuyasha hesitantly stepped inside. "How is she?" he asked, his eyes diverted to his feet.

"I'm afraid she is still in grave danger." As Kaede pulled the rag off of the wound, a fresh drop of blood fell in a jagged path down Kagome's side.

Inuyasha growled. "Geez hag, a lot of good you're doing her!" He grabbed the cloth and wiped away the blood.

Kaede almost smiled at the gentle way his hands worked. "I'm afraid that happens often Inuyasha. No matter how many remedies and treatments I try, the wounds will not close. I admit, I am at a loss of what to do for the child now. I've tried all I can think of."

"Well you'll just have to think some more then won't ya?" Inuyasha replied vehemently. His hands shook as he passed the bloodied rag back to the priestess. He looked at Kagome's body and suppressed a shudder. "She has to get better. She just has to."

Inuyasha gazed at her pale face, her dark eyelashes making a sharp contrast against the almost ashen skin. The five gashes littered her chest and stomach, marring the once perfect porcelain skin. Never before had one of their group members been so ravaged by the war. Even Inuyasha, scarred though he was, did not bear the bright angry scars that Kagome would surely have when she recovered. If she recovered.

Inuyasha's body went tight again at that thought. He wouldn't lose Kagome, not after all they had been through.

Deep in his thoughts, Inuyasha hadn't noticed that Kaede had stood until she placed a gentle, wrinkled hand upon his head. "Inuyasha, take her hand. Let her know that ye are here. Don't let her be frightened or alone. I'll leave ye for a bit. I will fetch fresh water."

Inuyasha waited several minutes after Kaede's retreating footsteps had fallen silent before moving. He firmly grasped Kagome's hand in his and raised it. "You're so cold Kagome. Not at all like your usual self..." He pressed her palm against his cheek and shivered at the chill it gave him. "Don't die. Shippo needs you, so does Miroku and Sango. And so do I. So you can't die."

He brushed his lips across her fingers and returned her arm to her side once more. "Damn it Kagome! Snap out of it!" He angrily crossed his legs and fell asleep staring into the red cavernous wounds that went deep into her chest.
---
"Inu...sha..."

It was only Inuyasha's keen hearing that made Kagome's fragile voice audible. He snapped up and cursed himself for falling sleep.

"What is it Kagome? Kagome? Kagome?"

Inuyasha was nearly screaming in frustration. I know I heard her say my name! Does that mean she's getting better?

A twig snapped in the nearby wood and Inuyasha leapt to his feet. "Kaede!" His bellow woke the entire village.

"Inuyasha, what are ye yelling about?" came the old priestesses reply from the corner of the hut.

"Watch Kagome. She said my name, she must bet getting better." He left the hut and prepared himself to leave.

"But where be ye going?"

Inuyasha sniffed the air and said, "To find out what Kikyo is up to."
Sign up to rate and review this story