Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > The World Has Turned - Part I

Chapter 2

by stevenghost 1 review

Kagome is badly injured in battle. How far will Inuyasha go to save her?

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Miroku, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-20 - Updated: 2006-09-20 - 2059 words

1Insightful
Disclaimer: I am obviously not cool or smart enough to own such brilliant characters such as these. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and the companies that she works with.

Authors note: Despite reassurances from my betas (thank you Silver Wolf Pups and ladyhawk89!), I'm still a little uncertain of this chapter. I'm not a big Kikyo fan and I'm not entirely sure I got the interaction between her and Inuyasha as in character as I hoped it would be. But hopefully it's acceptable and you all enjoy it. Remember, italics represent thought.

Inuyasha flew above the trees in the forest, searching for a sign of Kikyo. Her ever present soul stealers finally caught his eye and he landed lightly on a tree branch. He watched the long dead priestess walk serenely through the wood and at that moment he wished Kikyo and Kagome didn't look so much a like in appearance. The bow and bundle of arrows that were slung casually over Kikyo's shoulders reminded him too much of the past. Kikyo shouting his name, pinning him to a tree...Kagome finally learning to shoot accurately and then falling in battle...

"Are you going to come out Inuyasha or do you plan to watch me walk all day long?"

He started at Kikyo's hollow voice and jumped less than gracefully off of the branch he had been perched on. As Inuyasha regained his balance, his golden eyes burned into her hazel ones. "Kikyo..."

Inuyasha was surprised when her eyes turned cold and dead as they appraised him. "Do you wish to protect me from something as usual or are you fighting with my reincarnation again?"

The half demon blanched, surprised at the bitter tone in Kikyo's voice. He was also annoyed with her choice of words. "She has a name ya know?"

"It does not matter to me. All that matters is destroying Naraku and making sure you never forget me until we embrace death together."

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. "So, which battle are you trying to accomplish today?" he growled.

Kikyo smiled sadistically at him. "Neither actually. Today I'm actually looking for a few souls to keep me alive. Or as alive as a dead priestess can be."

"You never search for souls yourself. You always have your demons do the dirty work for you."

"This one is a bit more...personal." She stepped around Inuyasha and continued towards the village. She threw him a knowing smile and said, "I finally get to take back what is mine."

Inuyasha's fist clenched tightly at his side and his eyes widened in realization. She's going to take Kagome's soul! But how can she? Kagome was getting better when I left her with Kaede.

He watched Kikyo's retreating back before replying, "She'll be better by the time you get to her. She spoke to me before I came here." There was a note of uncertainty in his voice.

"I assure you, she's dying. I can sense it. In fact I'd be surprised if she's not dead already. She was probably thinking of you as Death dragged her into the underworld. Humans do seem to have a curious attraction for you Inuyasha. Or perhaps it is just my soul that makes her love you so."

Inuyasha growled viciously and leapt in front of Kikyo. "I refuse to let you take her soul 'cause she ain't gonna die!"

A memory suddenly flashed in Inuyasha's mind. It was of him and Kagome, near the well on a bright sunny day. It had been so bright, he remembered, that for a few seconds he was blinded by the sunlight. But then it all cleared up and he had found Kagome, waiting patiently for him on the well ledge. He remembered that his heart had sped up because it meant he finally had to tell Kagome goodbye forever, tell her that he was going to protect Kikyo no matter what, and then descend into hell with her when it was all over. I owe Kikyo my life, I realize that. I was scared though. I didn't want to let Kagome go but I knew I had no choice. And I was surprised when I realized that it wasn't fear that made my heart race. It was...pain. Pain at having to tell Kagome goodbye. But then, when I tried to let her go, she wouldn't give me the chance.

She told me, "I can't compete with Kikyo because after all...I'm still alive. I've given a lot of thought about Kikyo. She and I are completely different. There's been all this talk that I'm a reincarnation of her. Even if that's true, I'm still not Kikyo! You see...my heart belongs to me. Here's the thing. I do understand one feeling that Kikyo has. Something that we share. We're alike in our desire to be with you again. I want to be with you Inuyasha."


A small smile appeared on Inuyasha's face. He thought of that day often, particularly when he would watch Kagome when she was asleep. He often wondered what it was about him that made her choose to stay. But he was surprised to realize that he was relieved and...happy when she did, even if he couldn't show her that happiness. And it was thinking of that memory that made Inuyasha realize Kikyo's exact words.

"Stop talking about Kagome as if she was just a soul for you to steal. Even if she is your reincarnation, it doesn't mean her heart and soul are yours to do whatever you want with."

Kikyo stopped in her tracks and whipped around to face him, her eyes narrowing menacingly. "Of course her soul is mine! Why do you think the witch who created me kidnapped the girl? Because she had my soul! But did I get to keep any of the good that used to be in me? No. I get the darkest parts of my own soul-the hate and anger and resentment. But I'm going to get the rest now, because your little wench is dying." She laughed, as if nothing in the world could make her happier.

The fury blazed in Inuyasha's face. "There's no way in hell I'm letting you take it from her." He withdrew the Tetsusaiga from its sheath.

Kikyo abruptly stopped laughing. "Do you intend to kill me again Inuyasha? To protect my reincarnation? Some girl you can't even bring yourself to love? What happened to you 'always protecting' me?"

"Damn it Kikyo! I never killed you! It was Naraku all along! Now leave Kagome alone. I don't want to fight you but I promised I wouldn't let Kagome get hurt again."

"I will have her soul, even if it means fighting you. In fact, it will make taking it from her so much more enjoyable." She hooked an arrow in her bow and threw a knowing glance at Inuyasha. "Should I pin you to a tree again for another 50 years?" She let go of the arrow and Inuyasha leapt out of the way, over Kikyo's head, and slashed her sleeve open with his sword. She looked at the tear with indifference and said, "I see. So you really intend to fight me?"

Inuyasha was breathing heavily, out of frustration. "If you promise to turn around and leave Kagome alone we won't have to!"

"Attack me Inuyasha. Try to hurt me. Because I refuse to leave willingly."

He did not want to fight her but he saw now that he had no other choice. Kikyo's soul stealers wrapped themselves around Inuyasha's sword handle and pulled it out of his grasp. Damn it! Two others attempted to hold his arms in place but he shouted "Iron reaver, soul stealer!" and they fell in pieces to the ground.

Kikyo was quickly preparing her bow again but her eyes widened as she realized she was going to be too slow. Inuyasha launched himself at her, regret, anger and frustration evident in his eyes. "Blades of Blood!" Before his attack could reach her, he turned his head, not wanting to see the damage he inflicted upon Kikyo's body. He heard her give a soft "Oh!" of surprise and then she fell to the ground, silent.

I'm sorry Kikyo! I didn't want to do that but you left me no choice! This time I have to protect Kagome first...

He fell to his knees as a surge of guilt washed over him. Why was it always like this? Why is it when I hurt Kikyo I feel so guilty and yet I can throw harsh words at Kagome and the rest and feel no different? Does this prove that I love Kikyo? Or is it because of what Naraku did to us? Do I feel guilty because of what happened 50 years ago?

Inuyasha knew that the soul stealers would heal Kikyo. He had not hurt her badly enough to warrant her demise and yet he felt just as badly about hurting her as he did about allowing Kagome to be injured during the battle. He could hear Kikyo's minions pick her up off of the ground and he glanced over his slumped shoulders to watch them disappear back into the deep forest.

He stood up, resolved. It didn't matter right now that he had hurt Kikyo. The consequences for that would come later. For now, he needed to get back to Kagome, to make sure Kaede was treating her well, to make sure that she made a full recovery.

Drained of energy, he began the trek back to the village.
---
"INUYASHA! INUYASHA!"

Miroku was in a panic. He had searched the entire village twice, gone to the Bone Eaters well and the tree, and looked in the forest but there was no sign of Inuyasha anywhere.

He watched as the old priestess lifted the door flap on the hut. "Lady Kaede! Has he returned yet?"

"Not yet Miroku. Fear not. He'll be here soon."

The monk was not appeased by the priestess' words. He walked to the edge of the forest and continued shouting Inuyasha's name. "Inuyasha! Inuyasha! INUYASH..."

"YEAH YEAH, I'm here all right. What the hell do you want?"

Miroku looked anxiously around and saw the half demon walking towards him. "Inuyasha, it's Kagome. You need to come to the hut immediately."

Inuyasha looked at his companion's face and replied, "Yeah I know. Kagome's getting better. I heard her try to talk to me before I left."

"Inuyasha...that's not it. I think you need to go talk to Kaede." Miroku's face was red from the effort it took to hold back his tears.

"What are you talking about Miroku?" Miroku placed a hand on Inuyasha's shoulders and looked him straight in the eyes. Something about his stare made Inuyasha uncomfortable and he felt his stomach turn queasy. "Miroku..."

"Go to the hut Inuyasha. Now."

He ran as fast as he could to the hut and saw that the door flap was open. "Kaede! What are you doing? You said if the door didn't stay shut then Kagome would get sicker!" He stepped inside the dark hut and saw that the fire had been extinguished. "What are you doing? She's going to get cold!"

He bent down to inspect the fire pit and it was then he noticed Shippo and Sango sitting near Kaede, each of them crying quietly. "What...what's going on? Shippo? Kaede?"

The little fox demon and the demon slayer were crying too much to give Inuyasha an answer. Miroku appeared behind Inuyasha and once again placed a hand upon his shoulder. "I'm sorry Inuyasha. But Lady Kagome..."

For the first time since entering the hut, Inuyasha stared at Kagome. He noticed that her chest wasn't moving up and down like it had been before. And her wounds, while still a deep red, had stopped looking so fresh and new looking. Her skin was even grayer than it had been before and Inuyasha saw the look of pain and fear that was on her face.

"Kagome." He grabbed her hand. "Miroku, what happened to Kagome? Why isn't she better? She was getting better when I left!"

Miroku found that hearing Inuyasha's confusion and pain was more than he could take and let his tears flow freely down his face. "I'm sorry friend but after you left...Kagome died."
Sign up to rate and review this story