Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Bittersweet Roses

Chapter 12

by Amaya-san 0 reviews

Please review!

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2018-09-02 - 1924 words - Complete

0Unrated
"I thought the budget had been pulled?" Lia questioned breathlessly to Kikka as they hurriedly packed their bags upon order. She fumbled clumsily with her harness. The Scout Regiment had been alerted of an expedition.


"Supposedly a new one has been approved for reclaiming another base. They hope to make it farther this time. Maybe we'll get some more Titans, eh?" her friend responded excitedly. The blonde groaned and tried to settle the butterflies in her stomach.


This was it- the mission that would define her career. The very idea was nerve-wracking. With some focus, she set her brain to determination instead of anxiety. Kikka was ready in no time, looking positively elated; meanwhile, Lia danced around the room on one foot to try to get her boot on.


"Why don't you just sit?"


"There are items all over my bed!" she replied as though it was completely obvious. Kikka looked at all of the open bunks but said nothing. Finally, looking awfully pleased with herself, Lia stood on two feet again. She fastened her cloak over her shoulders and gathered her provisions.


"Are we ready now?"


"Yep!" the rookie responded happily, though a bit forced. They made their way out and helped load wagons. As they eventually mounted their horses, Kikka gave her a lopsided grin.


"Let's compete for the most kills."


"Let's not. I have other things I need to focus on..."


"I hope we get some fourteen-meter classes."


"You're a complete lunatic."


"I live for this!" yelled the raven-haired woman with her fist in the air and face to the sky. Lia gave her a concerned glance as she patted the neck of her steed. The two ladies rode into file, and waited for the group to begin departure.


Trailers began to move, and the crowd around it followed suit. Lia remained close to Kikka, assigned to the formation group. Levi had been placed near the front, and she could see him seated and slightly slouched as though bored. The Scouts made their way into the streets.


Behind the standard scowling mob, she could make out a few children clambering to see from the back. She smiled and sat a little straighter, finally feeling as though she had business being in her company. The gates rumbled open, and she remembered the first time she had seen the green grass and open blue skies. Had she truly been able to appreciate it then, she would have drank it all in. Now it was cloudy and gloomy, but still, her breath was taken away.


The troops took off at traveling speed and spread out past the gate. Lia inhaled deeply through her nose, let it out through her mouth, and lowered into the saddle as her equestrian companion gathered speed. Kikka rode beside her, her face split in a massive smile of delight. This is where she could feel truly alive.


Focus, Lia. You're going to do this; you have to do this in order to stay at his side. Focus. She tried to give some attention to her peripherals to keep an eye on everything. In a few minutes, they had changed direction four times to avoid Titans. Do we smell superbly appealing today?


"Come on; just let me at 'em!" Kikka fingered her reins restlessly as they saw yet another smoke signal.


"Calm down," Lia warned her.


"Look, there's another one!"


"They've already directed us to move. If we engage now, we're dead. There are way too many."


"You're right," Kikka responded to her, but didn't relax. Her eyes darted back and forth like a cat's when surrounded by fireflies. Lia watched her apprehensively, dreading the inevitable. She silently prayed her friend would not be so foolish as to completely obliterate their chances of survival.


As she turned her gaze back to the front, she spotted Levi looking at Kikka with the same intensity and suspicion that she felt. It seemed they were both preparing for the moment when twitchiness would encompass the soldier and they would be forced to fight for their lives. Once again, the group altered their course.


At last, they seemed to be leaving the majority of the danger behind. It would still be greatly risky should anything happen, but survival was now possible. Lia let her shoulders relax and she assured herself they would arrive safely.


"Shit!" yelled Levi. Lia's eyes locked onto him as he attempted to pull from his section, and she then followed his gaze to discover why. It was exactly what they had both been expecting - Kikka had spotted a larger class Titan and could no longer contain herself. Lia reeled in the reins and turned sharply right, following her comrade.


"Get back in line!"


"Kikka, you crazed broad, don't!" Frantic shouts came from the party behind them, but Kikka's face was alight with psychotic glee as she rocketed from her saddle into the air by cable.


"Woohoo!" she screamed as she spun behind the nape and hit it with a flash of her blades. The Titan glared around for the source of the failed murder attempt. "Whoops!" she laughed and began looping around to try again.


Lia pulled the triggers of her vertical directional gear and began her ascent to assist. Already, she could see other enemies arriving to the scene. It was like sharks to blood in the water.


The breeze whipped around her as she flew between the giant's left arm and ribs. As she turned her body to reverse to its back, she watched Kikka deliver the killing blow. Lia fell closer and closer to the ground as she watched her friend's euphoria as though in slow motion.


Kikka twirled and grinned, giving the blonde a thumbs up and a wink as her kill fell rapidly beneath her mid-air position. As she lowered her arm to launch the next attach, an Abnormal leapt through the air and caught the side of her body within its jaws.


"No!" screamed Lia, fumbling her gear to try to move closer. Her legs collided with chest, and she felt an arm secure her in place. After her body fell over a shoulder and she finished collapsing against a cloaked back, she looked back up with watery eyes.


Kikka's green optics swam with pain, her faze frozen in an O of shock. The Titan bit down, its teeth crushing a portion of her skull and severing half of her body from its counterpart. Crimson exploded in the air and dripped heavily down the beast's chin.


Lia screamed and struggled against her captor. Levi, having caught her, was tightening his grip and making a determined escape. She pounded fists against his back and squirmed to attempt to reach her fallen friend as the horse pulled them farther away.


Behind them, the Scouts were scattering and retreating. Kikka's irresponsible disobedience had been enough of a distraction to cause pure mayhem. Levi had also ignored direct orders to hold position, but he would deal with it later.


"Let me go!" screeched the woman in his possession.


"There's nothing you can do."


"Kikka! Levi, release me!"


"She's gone, Lia. The most we can do right now is stay alive."


"She can't be dead," came a whimper. He stared at the back of her legs, wondering if it might be safe to get her riding on the horse like a normal person rather than a hostage. He could feel the vibrations of her sobs through his body and stifled his sympathy, choosing to focus attention on finding a safe place to allow her to mourn.


They were the only two in their direction, but it wasn't clear of hostiles quite yet. The rest of the regiment was becoming a small black line upon the skyline. Levi glared at the last remaining Titan still in pursuit, but knew Lia was in no condition to ride on her own. Nothing could be done to eliminate the creature, and they would have to outrun it.


He steered his steed right so they could at least be fleeing in the same general direction as the rest of the military and would be closer to the walls. Even if he could no longer see them, there was little sense in increasing distance. He wondered distantly how their absence would be addressed, and where they could find a safe haven for two.


He scanned the horizon for any sign of trees, knowing it would be their best hope. At last, he spotted one with branches they could take refuge in until nightfall. Concern was then shifted to the broken individual draped over his shoulder like fresh kill.


"Lia, I'm going to need you to position yourself on the saddle and get ready to tree yourself." The sobs stopped briefly as she slowly lifted herself and tried to figure out a way to make his request happen. Levi lifted her legs, making her squeal as she was forced into the back.


It was a miracle she remained on the horse as she twisted and somersaulted into place. Her face was buried between his scapulae as she tried to regain enough focus to get them out. Levi's call brought her back, and he leaped off of the saddle, and she then made pursuit.


The pair cabled to a large upper branch of the designated tree. Lia immediately relinquished hold of her blades and dropped to her knees. After ensuring they were indeed safe and out of reach, Levi kneeled beside her and watched her as though expecting her to tell him what to do. She looked up at him with a face contorted in pain and tears streaming down her cheeks.


"She didn't deserve it. Why didn't that stupid thing take me? I was right there!" she sobbed.


"You idiot. That's why I don't want you here in the first place."


"You don't want me...?"


"You know what I mean," he snapped, stressed that he could not fix this. "Kikka did shit she wasn't supposed to do, and shit happens."


"How can you be so casual about it?" she screamed at him. Levi took her shoulders gently and made her look at him.


"I know what this feels like," he started more softly. "Those bastards took from me too. We need to make sure they don't get us next." Her head dropped as she gave into agony again. Awkwardly, he shuffled to her side and draped an arm around her, looking immensely uncomfortable. She leaned into him and he then allowed her time to work through it.


After a few hours, he gazed at the sunset and shook her awake with care. She had worn herself right into slumber. Lia's hazel eyes widened and she looked at him in alarm.


"Let's get home," Levi suggested. She groaned and pressed her face into the crook of his neck.


"I'm so tired...can we wait until morning?"


"There are only two of us. It's going to be too dangerous for that."


"Oh please, Levi," she said impatiently, pulling away. "I have seen you take down a Titan. We will be fine. Tomorrow." He glared at her, not fond of the idea, but gave in nonetheless.


"Fine. But I'm not sleeping in a tree." They stood and, by the fading light, traveled farther into the forest with maneuvering gear. As short way in, they dropped beside a cave. "This will have to do. We need to conserve gas." Gingerly, she touched his arm and looked at him with silent gratitude before leading the way in for the night.
Sign up to rate and review this story