Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Bittersweet Roses

Chapter 11

by Amaya-san 0 reviews

Please review! :D

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2018-09-02 - 2374 words - Complete

0Unrated
"It finally happened. Levi and Lia are together?"


"They weren't before?"


"Street thug and the weak link."


"I guess she went straight for the top cat, huh? It's her best hope at survival."


These were some of the common statements drifting around within the first week of the new couple going "public." Nothing had been officially announced, but the two spent more time together than ever, and although Levi remained traditionally distant, he didn't push Lia away so much anymore, and her affection was somewhat apparent. The slight change was like pouring gasoline on a flame. Kikka's smug expression had not vanished; each time she looked at them, it was a silent reminder of, "I told you so."


The only real obvious change to Levi's behavior was that he had taken to stealing things of Lia's, such as items from her plate, or switching his empty tea cup with her full one. He never offered any explanation or remark, no matter how loudly she complained; so she had eventually just accepted it as the new thing and relinquished control over her rations.


Expedition budgets had been pulled for the moment, but Erwin felt confident he would be able to persuade benefactors into allowing one very soon. In the meantime, the troops honed skills, and enjoyed some downtime. Lia was pleased to have additional time to work at her battle tactics.


She practiced without Levi, doing as much on her own as she could manage. She felt that because he wanted her out of danger's way, his offer to assist would be withdrawn. Sure enough, he made no mention of future practice sessions.


It felt like the best clandestine; the opportunity to surprise them all with new moves and techniques was greatly anticipated. She gave the excuse that she was out riding or browsing the village each time her whereabouts were asked after. The truth could not be trusted, lest Levi go to his own efforts to keep her from succeeding.


When she wasn't physically training or in company of others, she buried her nose in informational books regarding battle formations, movements, and Titan research. She was making every effort to ensure her career, and she'd be damned if Levi took that away. At long last, she requested a sparring session.


"How is this going to improve your chances?" questioned Levi suspiciously.


"It will assist in your decision-making. This is part of training, so it still is influential, yes?" He did not respond, taking to merely sitting there and looking unhappy. Finally, he stood, and she pumped a fist into the air in victory.


They made their way outside, but before they got very far, Levi stopped. It was a little while before Lia realized he was no longer with her. She turned to look back and saw him standing on the front lawn.


"Come on," she insisted, waving him over.


"Right here," he stated firmly. She cocked her head with a confused smile, but he didn't budge, merely crossing his arms and raising his eyebrows. She glanced around nervously at the numerous onlookers. Was he intending to humiliate her?


With determination, she straightened her spine, walked back to him, and raised her fists. Levi returned his arms to his sides and waited. A small crowd began to gather.


"Whoa! They're fighting this intensely already? That didn't last long!"


"Do you think she knows her ass is going to be kicked?"


"Ten says Levi wins."


"I'm not taking that bet! That's the quickest way to losing money."


Lia breathed deeply, honing in on her target. In a split second, she was on him in flurries. Levi blocked them effortlessly as always, tilting from side to side as necessary. He whirled his arm to throw off a punch and landed a fist in her stomach.


Lia coughed but had at least braced for it this time. He cut the legs out from underneath her, but she curled her arms and did a backward somersault back to her feet. She fixed him with a glare and inhaled sharply.


Taking a leap forward, she twisted her upper body downward and to the side. In a spin, she was in the air in a sideways flip, bringing her legs down in a double pirouette. Successfully, she caught him in the shoulder and he faltered.


Hastily, she whipped into a downward sweep and brought her legs beneath his ankles. Levi was swept to the ground, and in a split second, her foot was placed on his chest as a sign of victory. For the first time, she had defeated her opponent at miraculous odds.


Murmurs broke out in the surrounding groups. Lia removed herself from his chest and instead stretched out a hand to assist him in standing. Levi looked mutinous, but accepted the offer. He leaned close to her and growled, "This changes nothing."


"That remains to be seen," she replied stubbornly.


"You got adept at a skill that would serve you well in Garrison, or maybe as an MP. It only further concretes my decision. It would do little to help you here."


"I will show you, Levi," she said through gritted teeth. "I'm going to become the best damned teammate you've ever seen." She thought this over and then corrected, "Or at least a pretty good one."


"Exceptional soldiers die too," he said bitterly.


"That's what I'm afraid of," muttered the woman to herself.


---------------- ------------------

Lia lay awake, gazing at the ceiling and wistfully admiring the sounds of slumber around her. Her mind was far too busy to allow relaxation. What if, no matter how well she did, Levi would oust her still? She huffed at the idea and threw the sheets off of her body.


She got up and slowly began to dress in basic military accoutrements, figuring she could at least get some practice done if her mind wouldn't cease whirring. Her belts were done with care lest she wake a fellow soldier. Smartly, she sat down on the bed to get her boots on, having learned her lesson in previous experiences.


Lia then padded quietly to the edge of the room. Just as she started out of the doorway, her shoe caught on her heel and she went down with a loud, "oomph!" Slowly, she turned her floor-planted face to look in the room. With relief, she saw she had woken no one, and rose to her feet gently.


She moved along the walls with creepy goodness, heading for the kitchen in search of a beverage. As she did a thief's sneak into the rec room, she made it about halfway through before she jumped so hard that she fell down for the second time within minutes. This round, she slowly came to her feet, peering out from behind a couch at a familiar figure in a lounge chair.


Levi was in full gear from the earlier day, his head tilted against the back of the furniture and his limbs slack. Lia watched him for a while, waiting to be called out or at least addressed in some fashion. The man didn't move.


She crept forward until she stood directly in front of him. His eyes were closed, and black strands of hair hung in his face. Her mentor was fast asleep, suited up and seated.


Why doesn't he use a bunk? she wondered silently. Her eyes traveled over this astonishing warrior's resting body. Although he was thin, she could see he was actually quite athletically built. The uniform was not clingy, so details were easily missed; but there in the filtered moonlight with time to notice, Lia could absorb as many things about her love's appearance as she wanted.


Levi looked entirely at peace, a light wind ruffling his hair and his face cast in a white glow. Earlier, Lia's mind had been stuck on the present dilemma of remaining in the Scouts. Now however, she drifted back to the stormy day on the training grounds.


Another kiss had not happened since then, and at this point, it all felt to her like a dream. Sure, he had acted more at ease with her since, but he had made no further mention of his feelings other than his stubborn decision. As she gazed at his mouth, she tried to relive the moment of his embrace.


It had been so shocking when it occurred that she hadn't the chance to really enjoy it. In fact, she hadn't even returned the gesture. She now wondered if he had noticed, and if it had mattered. Surely, he knew that despite her attempts not to, she cared for him.


Gingerly, Lia brushed a few fingers along his lips as though in a fantasy. Levi's mouth twitched and he shifted his head to the other shoulder. Of course, this small movement sent the girl into a sheer moment of panic, and she dove for a place behind the chair. He did not move again however, so she relaxed and continued to the kitchen.


A kettle was on the heat in no time. Lia absentmindedly tidied the counter space until she heard the familiar whistle signaling boiling point. She happily scooped a teacup from the cupboard and threw a pinch of tealeaves to the bottom. No sooner had they fallen that a warm hand snatched the porcelain from her and turned it upside down into the herbs. New leaves were thrown in just as quickly, and it was handed back to her, with water poured just seconds later.


She stood staring at it blankly, still processing what had just happened. Slowly, she turned and spotted a pair of blue eyes she knew very well that were watching her intently. Gradually, she frowned in suspicion and raised the drink to gesture it.


"Levi...is this poison ivy?" she said, dubious. He put his fingers beneath the cup and forced it upward. She continued to stare, obviously not trusting him. "Are you trying to make me sick?"


"Just drink it," he insisted, exasperated.


"That's what you tell someone when you're trying to poison them." His face hardened with a scowl. She quickly lifted the tea, sniffed it, and took a sip. It smelled and tasted of light floral accents. "What is it?"


He ignored her and instead went forward with, "Do you mind telling me what you're doing at this hour, and in full uniform?"


"It's not full uniform!" she defended, looking herself over. There was a pause of silence. "I couldn't sleep. Besides, I'm not the one guarding the living quarters."


"I like my chair," he said simply. She stared at him for a moment before leaning against the kitchen surface.


"I have to ask, because I've been wondering...did you mean what you said in the rain, or were you just trying to shut me up?"


"Both," he replied with complete honesty.


"So...you do care for me, and it's not just..." She cleared her throat, feeling a hue in her cheeks. "...In a friendship sort of way. Because you know," continued the blonde with awkward laughter, "friends don't often kiss one another."


"They don't? Shit!" Levi feigned surprise and she smacked him in the arm. "Why are you asking?"


"I don't know...it's hard to be affectionate with a military job, I suppose, but I wanted to be sure." He raised an eyebrow.


"Is there something you had in mind?"


"No," she said in a rush, quickly opting for another drink. "Ouch!" hissed Lia just a second later as the cup sipped and soaked her shirt through. She set down the tea and peeled the wet fabric from her skin, starting to unbutton the shirt.


In a split moment, Lia was rapidly fumbling to redo the fastens after she remembered her audience. He stopped her by grabbing her wrists, and a twinkle danced in his eyes. She felt her heart quicken as her muscles seized. It was suddenly very apparent how alone she was with him, and how precarious of a position she was in.


Her body began to shiver, and it had nothing to do with the temperature of the room, but rather the frozen condition she was locked into as he moved close enough for her to feel his breath dust her face. Slowly, he leaned in, closed his eyes, and pressed his lips to hers. Electric shocks ran up and down her spine, and she leaned back into him.


Levi lifted his palm to cradle the side of her face as their kiss grew deeper. After a short period, he inhaled deeply through his nose and pinned her against the cupboards. Eagerly, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. A strong pair of hands hoisted her onto the counter and his breath became erratic.


Lia's legs cradled him, and she felt his hips move farther into her thighs. His mouth left hers and moved to her damp collarbone. His teeth nipped her and she gasped loudly. Slender fingers danced over his shirt, and as her hands grazed and wandered over a now bare chest, he returned to her roughly. The sensation of him hardening against her made her stomach twist with anxiety and arousal.


Heat traveled through her, and she fought the desire to see more of him. Her hands wound their way through his hair, and they pressed their bodies fervently against one another's. Each felt alive with carnal fire, reveling in the taste of each other and all but becoming one form.


Suddenly, a cough from a few feet away made the pair split apart immediately. Both stared sheepishly at Erwin, who stood and examined them from the kitchen doorway. Lia gripped the top of her shirt together, slid from the counter, and jogged past the commander with a casual mock salute out of humiliation.


Levi glared at the man for a moment, the two of them in a silent stare down. He then began to head back for his chair, but Erwin stopped him with a hand to his chest. He looked at his soldier sternly.


"Bunkers tonight," came the order. Levi sighed and changed direction to the men's sleeping quarters. "And Levi..make sure this is not a distraction." With an annoyed stare to the ceiling, he left the room.
Sign up to rate and review this story