Categories > Original > Drama > The Accomplice

Getting Together

by PacoDust 0 reviews

This chapter gives a little bit more back story from Zays point of view. After searching for Indi at the party he tells us about some of his family. After the night ends we get a little bit more in...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2018-12-07 - 1654 words

0Unrated
I refill a bowl in the kitchen with punch. There are people everywhere in the house, if I wasn't six foot I probably wouldn't be able to see over everybody. Out of all these people I notice she's not here though.. Keep cool Zay, she's not here yet. Did Jason remember to invite her? Well I'm certainly not going to ask, he'll say I'm sweating her too hard. Besides by now he's probably lost in his mix. Back in middle school our parents had taken a night out together, his older sister went too and they left me and Jason home with our other cousin supervising. Our night went as usual, until they didn't come home. Our cousin Olivia, college aged at the time, had stayed up all night making phone calls trying to find out what happened. Then about 4 AM when we should have been asleep someone knocked on the door. I snuck out of bed and crept to the top of the steps to listen as Olivia opened the door. There was a policewoman standing there hat in hand. I heard her mention an accident, but before I could finish eavesdropping Olivia moved the conversation to the porch and closed the door. I headed back to bed and told Jason what I'd heard. "They're okay," he'd said. "If they weren't someone would have called forever ago". I accepted this as fact and laid back down, but before I could go back to sleep Olivia entered the room. She'd been crying, it was obvious and I knew Jason had been wrong, it wasn't ok. I was right, the policewoman had broken the news to Olivia who now had to break the news to us. On their way back home our parents had hopped on the highway and were driving along when a silver car came speeding up behind them. This car had begun a high speed chase a few exits back and of course had multiple police cars behind it. So in an effort to escape the silver car had shot the tires on a semi truck it flew past. The semi swerved and blocked traffic just like they wanted, but it had also knocked our parents car off an overpass. His sister was in the ICU undergoing surgery after being pulled from the car. Everyone else had been pronounced dead at the scene. We had lost our entire family other than his sister,and he did not handle it well. Could anybody really handle that well? He spent most of his time hustling and any down time he got was spent under the influence. He'd smoke weed with me, but when he got to popping pills and shit I was good. I felt bad for him, but if it hadn't happened we wouldn't be who we were now. That might not be so bad though, my cousin was barely functioning and probably had more hennessy than blood in his veins. I head into the living room where Jasons Iphone is hooked up to the speakers blasting music. I pour myself another drink and go sit on the couch. I open the little drawer on the coffee table and take out the paraphernalia inside: a pound of weed, plenty of backwoods and of course a torch. I start stuffing backwoods and when I've got a decent amount I light them and start passing them to whoever. Once we've got plenty of blunts in the air I make 3 more for myself, pack up everything and head upstairs to my room. I unlock the door, go to the closet and pull out my safebox. I open it up inside I keep a glock, a stack of money, some crack and now a bit of weed is being added. While we're on the topic, no I do not smoke crack, I just sell it. I lock the box back and put it away before locking my door and heading down the steps. I'm halfway down the staircase when I see her coming in the door. I'll be the first to say the first time I saw this girl I thought she was beautiful, but she looked beyond good right now. She was about 5'5, with black hair that she'd gotten french braided and her skin was so dark, like a dark chocolate hershey. She had on a cyan blue dress that stopped above her knees with a slit on the side that had small diamond chains swooped across from either side. It made her pear shaped body look perfect.  She had on black heels, a diamond choker and one of those nose rings that hooks to her earring to match. I light one of my blunts and head down the last few steps to meet her. I get through the crowd and catch up to her in the living room. "Nice of you to join us", I say as I step in front of her and pass her the blunt, "smoke?" She smiles and I can see all of her pretty white teeth. "Well I wouldn't want to miss this exciting event", she says taking it from my hand and inhaling. I sit on the couch and she sits with me. I ask her if she wants a drink and she says no, apparently drinking isn't her thing. She likes to smoke weed and that's it, she only drinks on occasions. "Well you wouldn't consider this an occasion?" I ask her playfully. She giggles as I pass her the blunt again and shakes her head. We sit for awhile just talking until someone cuts up the stereo too loud for us to hear each other. I motion for her to follow me and we go upstairs to my room and sit on the bed. I lean back and light another blunt and we continue our conversation where we left off.

Jason-
I wake up from my coma like sleep to the smell of bacon cooking. There's asprin and a glass of orange juice on my night stand. I assume Claire put it there for me once she got here and saw how out of it I was. I take them and try to remember at what point she got here. I drank so much and last night was so much like so many other nights. I remember playing beer pong, refilling the snacks and grabbing a blunt someone said Zay had fired up. I went looking for him and noticed him heading up the steps with Indi. Damn I thought you'd barely noticed her? That was quick, but whatever I didn't want to interrupt. I'm not really sure at what point the party actually ended, so I can't be sure how long Claire was here, but it doesn't matter, as long as no one saw her. I hop out of bed and head to the kitchen where I see her at the stove cooking. Zay is sitting on a bar stool drinking coffee as they carry on basic conversation. I slide into a spot next to him and poor myself a cup too. "Good morning, how long y'all been up?" I ask mixing in sugar with a plastic spoon. Claire stops cooking long enough to reply, "I've been up for about two hours, came down and started cooking about forty minutes ago and Zay came out shortly after." She takes the last of the bacon out of the pan and starts on pancakes. I turn to my cousin, so I can mind his business for a moment. "I see you got some ass last night boy." I said referring to him disappearing with Indi last night, "Was it good?" He shakes his head at me, "I didn't have sex with her dude, she wasn't down." He says as Claire places plates in front of us. I thank her, but don't start eating because I'm too focused on Zay. "You expect me to believe you tripped off of that girl the whole party. She came in here dressed like that. You followed all that ass up the steps. And didn't smash?" I look at him eyebrows raised and he shakes his head, confirming what I said. I refuse to believe him though, " So what? You're trying to tell me y'all just talked?" He nods again and puts down his fork for a moment to speak. "That's exactly what we did. I fired up a blunt and we talked. We talked about everything." He says and begins reminiscing to me about his night. Claire hops onto a bar stool and starts digging into her plate and we both resume listening to Zay. "She's interesting and amazing and.." He stops for a moment and gazes off out the window, "and I love her." My eyes go wide and Claire chokes on a little piece of pancake. Did he really just say that? "Bro did you really just say that?" I have to ask out loud to get over my shock, "have you ever even spoken to that girl before last night?" He takes a sip of his coffee before addressing my question. "Yes, once she let me copy her notes in Geometry." He can't be serious right now, he's insane, "You took Geometry an entire year ago." Zay throws his hands up defensively and attempts to explain himself. "That is true, but I've been thinking about that girl every day since." He says and begins shaking his head to himself as if he's confirmed something to himself in his head. "And talking to her last night was exactly how I imagined, she's fascinating. I'm going to her game Wednesday and then-" I cut him off before he can finish, "And then what? You gonna ask her to marry you?" I chuckle. He smirks a little and continues, " No, then I'm gonna take her to dinner smartass." He says finishing off his food and tossing his plate in the sink.
Sign up to rate and review this story