Categories > Original > Horror > Life With a Monster

Dangers

by Catgirl1 0 reviews

Brynn realizes what she has to deal with.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2018-12-23 - 1936 words

0Unrated
I sat on my bed when I heard a knock. "Brynn?" Karma whispered.
"What?"
"Come out." He said. I stood and walked to the door. When I opened it, he stood there, wearing sunglasses. I glared at him. "You can take those off. It's nighttime."
"Fine, but it's dinnertime." he told me. I sighed and walked down to the dining room after him. To my surprise, eight other kids my age were downstairs. "Why are you introducing me to them?" I asked. The kids stared at me. I didn't know what to do, so I just followed Karma and sat down by him. "Who is this?" A girl with short spiky white hair asked. I didn't want to say anything. "This is Brynn. She was brought here by me."
"Kidnapping now, are we, Karma?" asked a boy with a piercing on his chin. Karma ignored him. I just stared at my plate. "You can speak, right?" another boy with a tattoo on his shoulder asked.
"Yes, I can talk." I said, quietly. Karma looked at me, stoically.
"I think Brynn is still trying to get used to here.
"Yes, I am, but I didn't want to be kidnapped in the first place!" I snapped.
"You keep telling me that, but you can't go home."
I glared at him, then looked back down at my plate. "Anyway, I think we should just eat and get to bed or something." Karma said. It was like he bossed these kids around. I just focused anywhere but at anyone else for the rest of dinner. Afterwards, I sat curled up by the fireplace in a parlor nearby. "Hey."
I looked up at Karma. "What do you want?" I asked.
"No need to be so rude, Bree."
"Don't call me Bree!" I snapped.
"Why not?"
"I hate you and it was what my mom called me."
"Those seem like okay reasons. But, why do you hate me? Is it because you can't go home?"
"Yes. Why can't I leave here? I don't want to get to know your friends and I don't like you!"
"That isn't nice!"
"And why am I here exactly?"
"Because the mayor wants to question you."
"Because I'm with you?"
"Not exactly. Because she wants to question you about last year and then get rid of you."
My eyes widened. Last year my brother had disappeared and returned a few months later with cat features and abilities. "How does getting rid of me make any sense?" I asked.
"Partly because of her boss. Listen, Brynn. The mayor has a suspicion about what I am and what Hiro is."
"How do you know about my brother?" I asked.
"Because my parents caught him. Don't worry, he's fine." Karma said, seeing my face.
"Have you seen him?"
"Yes. My father tortured him, but he made it out alive."
"Where is he now?"
"Your brother? In hiding. Boys who look like he does would be tested on if they get caught. "Does he know you?"
"Yes. I'm the one who let him out before he was killed for not being able to be sold."
"What?"
"The people who my family couldn't sell were murdered. Your brother is still alive." Karma sat next to me and I hugged him. "Thank you."
He just dug his face into my shoulder. "Next week he's coming here."
"He is?"
"Yeah."
"Do you know if he still has his girlfriend?"
"Amy Warner? Yeah, he's still with her and you know when she does something he likes because he purrs really loudly."
"Yeah, Hiro did that when I pet him."
"Just the fact that he sheds his fur all the time is weird."
"Says the kid with strange eyes who can become a monster."
"Fair point." Karma agreed, smirking. He was hot even without trying. His black hair had white streaks in them, probably from his torture, he had pale skin and his fingernails and toenails were dark gray. "Do you paint your nails?" I asked.
"No. I don't." Karma said.
"I'm guessing this is another side effect?"
"Yes."
"Well, that makes sense."
"I guess." We sat together, enjoying the warmth of the fire. "About the mayor..." I said.
"Yeah?"
"You said she has a boss."
"Yep. It's a really evil woman named Obsidian. At least, she calls herself that. She takes labrats who turn out like me and Hiro and tests them on her followers. She's about six feet tall and her skin is made out of the rock. She can summon any type of weapon and put them where she wants, in a person, on a table, anywhere, but it has to be made out of obsidian. Obsidian has killed many people, but the government covers it up."
"So, you're saying that she has control over the government."
"Yes."
"But, why?"
"Because she-"
"That's quite enough, Karma Black." a male voice said. We turned. A man that looked a lot like Karma with the exception of the eyes and the nails. He also had bandages on his arms and legs."
"Dad." Karma said, holding my hand tightly.
"You kidnapped the girl Obsidian wanted? Bad boy."
"Karma isn't a pet!" I said, angrily.
"He's mine."
"He is your son!"
"No, he's a freak."
"Thanks, dad." Karma muttered.
"He's under my control and it stays that way, doesn't it, Karma?"
"Dad, please don't make me-"
"Shut up!" Mr. Black roared.
Karma went quiet, except for his whimpers. "Karma, are you okay?"
"He's going to make me transform. Help me." he begged. I didn't know what to do. This was the first time he acted this terrified. Actually, he never got scared. "I've decided to punish you." Mr. Black snapped. Karma's eyes widened.
"Dad, I'm dangerous-"
"SHUT UP, YOU PIECE OF FILTH!" His dad shouted. He held up a piece of tech. "Makes him transform when I want." The gangster explained.
"No, no, no." Karma pleaded. But, his dad pressed a button and Karma started screaming. His nails grew longer, sharper, his teeth had become fangs. His ears became pointed at the tips, his skin was turning white with black markings. His hair became longer and his shirt ripped open as two black wings sprung from his back. A tail grew and he screamed even louder as he grew short horns at the top of his head. Karma fell, half conscious, onto my lap. "Mr. Black, stop it." I said as Karma shook. I could tell he was in pain, but I didn't know what to do with him. "Never. That monster can suffer for what he did." Mr. Black yelled as Karma screamed as his neck and shoulders sprouted odd tentacles. His hands and feet were claw-like. I wondered what else would happen before he stopped transforming. I stroked his back to try to give him some comfort, but found dragon scales around his wings. "Stop. Please. Karma could hurt someone, including himself." I begged.
"No, it doesn't stop until he's fully transformed."
"What do you bring out of this?" I asked.
"My pleasure of this. This child murdered my wife because we were trying to make sure a drug could be sold."
"And used him to test it on?"
"Yes, of course. I bet you didn't realize that when he's full monster that he needs to eat human flesh."
Of course Karma did. It was so predictable. "Brynn... help... me." Karma's voice wasn't recognizable. "I'm trying, Karma, I promise." I said, knowing that I'd probably gotten Stockholm syndrome.
"Brynn as in Brynn Evans? Your mother is worried for you. I can bring you to her." Mr. Black said. I did want to see her, but he was trying to hurt his son. He wouldn't be any better to me. "Sorry, but you're trying to hurt your son."
"But Obsidian would love to meet you." Mr. Black said, pleadingly. I glared at him. "I don't like the idea of her."
"No, you will. She wants to bring a new world for us."
Karma stopped screaming, but he was panting from the pain he was still having. "K-Karma? Are you okay?" I asked. He shot up and lunged for me with his claws. "Karma! Stop!" I yelped. Karma stopped and stared at me. "B-Brynn?"
"Yeah, yeah, it's me." I said. He stopped trying to scratch my face off and looked at his father. He walked over to him. "Oh, yes, the freak tries to gain my trust? I see!"
"No, I don't want your trust. You kill people."
"And so do you, freak."
"Stop calling me that. Yes, I do kill people, but with reason." Karma snapped. He stuck his claws into his father's leg. Then kicked his dad in the face. "Goodbye, dad."
"K-Karma, son, please..."
"Now you call me your son? Because you feel that if you do, I won't kill you?" Karma asked. I ran forward. "Karma, no!" I said.
"He'll take Obsidian to this place and he'll kill you and everyone else if Obsidian doesn't."
"Can't you go back to being almost human?"
"If I was forced to be a monster, then no."
"Then we get you back to human and then we kill him, okay?"
"You do one or the other, freak."
"Turn him back to human." I ordered, quickly taking and hiding a pocketknife from Karma's pocket.
"Okay." Mr. Black pressed another button and Karma fell to the ground as he slowly turned back, his clothes torn.
"Good doing business with you." He said.
"You too." I said, smiling, opening the blade. Before Mr. Black could say anything else, I stabbed him in the hand. "What the-" I stabbed Mr. Black more in different places- the face, the neck, the stomach, and the heart. He fell to the floor dead. I began sobbing. I had just killed someone. Karma groaned and sat up. "Brynn?"
"K-Karma..." I hugged him, crying into his neck. "Brynn..."
"I-I'm sorry, I-I k-killed him." He cradled me in his lap.
"Sh, it's okay, it was my goal to kill him." He said, quietly.
"I want to go to bed."
He carried me upstairs and put me in my room. I changed into my pajamas and fell asleep.

When I woke up, it was still dark out. I heard screams coming from a different room. Realizing they were Karma's, I got up and walked to the source of the screaming and walked in a room. It was insanely huge and had a king sized bed. I crossed the room into the bathroom and opened the door. Blood was all over the floor and Karma looked up at me. "K-Karma?"
"What are you doing in here?" he asked, coldly.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"I'm a monster. I'm a psychopath. I deserve the pain."
"So you resort to this?"
"I have too!"
"No, you don't!" I said.
"Yes, I do. I'm a terrible monster. I killed those people and tore them apart and ate them. I ate my own parents. I ate my father after you went to bed! I'm such a horrible person, but I'm not a person anymore! I'm a terrifying, monstrous, ugly, psycho freak!" Karma wailed. He saw me looking at his face and turned away. "Don't look at me!" he screamed.
"Karma." I didn't know what to do other than hug him. "Karma. I know you're scared of yourself. You must be terrified of what you could do. I just want you to know that I am not scared of you." I began to get up, but he took my hand. "Please stay." His voice was so broken that I had no choice. "Okay."
Sign up to rate and review this story