Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Black Heir

One

by emmalizze 0 reviews

The Letter.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2019-08-24 - 1919 words

0Unrated
One

July 31, 1991

The Tonks House

England, London

Today was his birthday. His eleventh birthday, the day he would receive that very special letter that would forever change your life. Hadrian couldn't have been any more excited. He had been waiting for this day his whole life.

"Stay still for a minute, sport, or you'll go running out the door with no letter in the sight." His father chided him, though he was still smiling when he told him so. Hadrian forced himself back on his seat around the dinner table as the house-elves prepared their breakfast, lifting his head with a bright, wide grin when his mother came stumbling downstairs.

His mother's long, red hair was a long, disheveled mess as she stalked towards the kitchen table, sitting beside him on the tall, wooden chair, "Why did nobody wake me?" She inquired them, throwing a mouthful of a toast into her mouth. "You know I have an early trial this morning." She cast an accusing eye at his father then, to which his father merely grinned somewhat innocently, and replied, "The trial had been rescheduled. You've been sleeping when they flooed to notify. So, you still have a few hours of the time before you go."

His mother waved her hand dramatically in the response, almost looking like she was ready to jump in the joy. "Thank, Merlin! I didn't wish to deal with Dolohov and his nasty, snake-like attorney any earlier than I absolutely have to. Do you know he smells like he has just been inside a swamp? Someone really should tell him he should shower." And seeming to only notice he was sitting there beside her, his mother turned dramatically and immediately began to slowly kiss him all over the face. "And how are you, my little munchkin? Have you slept well? You didn't bug your sisters too much, eh?" Sisters? Since when did he have sisters? "I am telling you, honey, Faith and Hope are as bad as those Weasley twins sometimes." His mother rolled her eyes affectionately, as she waved her hand to pour a coffee into her cup. "Speaking of trials, Reggie, when's yours?"

His father flinched as if even the mention of the trial was something both horrifying and just nightmare-like. "Tomorrow." He replied. "Bellatrix. They finally caught her, but not before she murdered four of Potter's squad. And I cannot even begin to say how I'm not looking forward to that one. I mean, why did they have to assign me as her lawyer? And I couldn't refuse either, after my stunt with her husband last month. They didn't like the fact I refused to defend him. Now, I'm stuck with someone far worse. And knowing Bella, she would just insult me along the way."

His father sighed deeply, and seeming to realize they were talking work on the dinner table, cleared his throat and turned to him, "Are you finished with your breakfast? Well, why don't you run along then? Get dressed. We do have a birthday party to prepare."

Just when Harry was about to leave, he could hear somebody screaming in his ear. "Harry, you little tosser, wake up!" Startled, Harry awoke with a start, glaring deeply at his cousin's dark eyes. She was sitting on the ground by his side, quite an innocent smile playing on her face, considering what a great crime she had just committed by waking him up. He was having a very nice dream, and just like always, she went and ruined it. Nymhadora rolled her eyes when she saw the expression on his face, "Dramatic much? I wouldn't have woken you up either, Black, if Mom didn't tell me to. So, quit pouting and get up, or else Mom would come here to drag both of our arses. And we don't want that now, do we?"

Certainly not.

Harry dragged himself off the bed by the force, throwing his pajamas out of his head and swapping it with a newly bought, dark robe that he found he didn't like much – he much preferred the muggle clothes, thank you very much. Nymphadora casually hung around, touching the books that lay comfortably on the bookshelf and the Qudditch trophies that he had stolen from his father's room the one time he had visited the old house in London. "What did you dream about that you've been so upset to wake up from, anyway?"

Harry hesitated for a minute, before he replied, "My parents." Nympadora stared at him for a minute in the response, her mouth slowly gaping open in the realization before she was suddenly by his side, touching his arm. "I am sorry." She gulped. "Hey, I know how much you miss them. And if you want to talk, you always know I'm here when you need me, right?"

"I don't need to talk." He forced a smile as he finished with fixing the corners of his dark robe. "I am fine." He brushed her hand gently away, lifting his head to look at her. "Now, we do have a breakfast to eat, don't we?"

Draco Malfoy didn't like his cousin. Like, at all. He was just not so fun to play with. Who wished to play with a book-obsessed, smarty-ass freak anyway? Of course, he couldn't say so to his mother who adored Hadrian because well, she used to think the other boy's father like a little brother she never had. Draco had a feeling if anybody just asked, she would have gladly taken him up into the family, leaving Draco with a brother he didn't particularly like.

"Hadrian." Draco greeted awkwardly as the two boys glared at each other from across the living room, and Draco forcibly pushed the gift into the other boy's arms. "Happy Birthday."

"Draco, thank you." There was that awkward silence again. "How do you do?"

"I'm good. Thank you for asking." And then he was forced to think of a way to remove himself from the boy's presence without looking rude. "You know, I think I see Theodore there. You don't mind if I go to greet him, don't you?"

"Not at all. Feel free to do so." And then, with much relief, Draco went to his best friend's side for an escape. He nudged him in the rub when it seemed like the tall, dark-haired and mildly tanned boy looked as if he was only a few seconds away from bursting out laughing. "I would murder you if you laugh, Theo." He threatened defensively. "It's not even funny. Do you know how difficult I find it to not act like I can't stand him in the slightest?"

"To be fair, though, Draco, I've heard Regulus and Lucius couldn't stand each other either. Every time, they interacted, everyone went quiet as if somebody had cast a spell, and everyone would just wait until someone made the first move of the power play. Usually, they just glared at each other until they left to seek for a better companion."

"You speak as if it was that interesting."

He couldn't see how two people glaring at each other like they wished to rip each other's throat out would be as interesting as the other boy was claiming.

"Oh, believe me, seeing as how my father talks about it decades after, it must have been." Theodore grinned at him wickedly, gulping down his pumpkin juice until there was not a single drop left. "As you may already know, my father isn't impressed that easily."

Draco rolled his eyes dramatically in the response, "Oh, we all know that's a fucking lie. Your father is impressed easily. Just the other day, he was quite impressed by Mrs. Zabini's boobs, I am telling you."

Theodore made a face, "Mate, couldn't you have warned me?" He asked scandalously. "Now, I have to watch my father's every move, so he won't fall into her charms like every other man before him. I don't wish to end up an orphan, you know? Look at how well that's turning out for Hadrian."

He considered it. He had a feeling he wouldn't along much with a newly orphaned Theodore. If Hadrian's orphaned status was anything to indicate, it did more to one's mentaility than just a newly found fame. Though, to be fair, Theodore wouldn't be infamous either. Mrs. Zabini losing a husband was hardly a news in the wizarding community. "Yeah, we definitely do not want that." He commented. "You would murder Blaise before the day is over, and we really don't want that, do we? That bloke is useful when he can be. He won't be if he is dead."

Theodore glared at him, "Had anyone told you that you have a rather morbid humor?"

"Plenty."

Theodore rolled his eyes, and then left him to refill his glasses, leaving Draco alone to fall prey to Pansy's needless gossip.

Andromeda,

My brother had officially left home. I don't even know why I am surprised that he decided to leave. I've seen it coming from ages ago. He wasn't happy here. It was best that he left. I suppose, I just didn't think he would abandon me here too. I don't know why I am surprised by that either. We haven't been getting along as well as we used to before everything changed, and I couldn't even recognize him when I looked at him anymore. He isn't the brother I know. Something, or rather someone had changed him. I am not entirely sure I like the change either. Do you know he has been bullying those of my house that were unfortunate enough to fall under his radar, like Snape? Those group of Marauders has been helping him too. And we are supposed to be the bad guys, right? Yeah, right.

I am sorry for rambling. It's just, the recent events have gotten to me more than I thought they did. The next time I write, there would be less rambling, I promise.

R.A.B.

It was the last letter his father had written to Aunt Andromeda. Hadrian grasped the letter gently in his hands as he read again and again, studying every unique curve of the letter, the frustration he must have felt at his brother's abandonment. Hadrian imagined being in his father's place, with far too many responsibilities on his shoulders at the mere age of fifteen, always being watched by those who would gladly take him down. He imagined what it must have been like to meet his mother, the first person ever who didn't even think to judge him, who he could always be himself without a fear. He imagined and imagined, and just a little more, he thought he understood his father.

Suddenly, the window creaked open and an unfamiliar looking owl burst inside, carrying a letter in its legs. It landed by his side on the bed, and quite swiftly, Hadrian retrieved the letter from his legs. He held the letter anxiously in his hands, slowly grasping it open and he began to read.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find an enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress
Sign up to rate and review this story