Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Black Heir

Two

by emmalizze 0 reviews

The Sorting

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2019-08-24 - 3108 words

0Unrated
Two

September 01, 1991

Hogwarts Express

London, England

Andromeda Tonks remembered the first day of her Hogwarts very well. It had been quite a special day, after all. It had been the first time she had met Ted — "Well, I must say, it's quite a pleasure to meet you, Andromeda. I am Edward Tonks, but please call me Ted." — the first time she had been forced apart from her beloved sisters — even when they didn't get along most times, she loved them still and even now, decades after, she wouldn't even imagine having anybody else as her sisters. Even when Bellatrix straight out went out of her way to let her know how much she truly loathed her. It was a good thing Bellatrix was nowhere in the sight. Andromeda blinked once, stopping herself from reminding herself why exactly she didn't see her little sister around here any longer. No, that train of a thought would get her nowhere. It would only doom her into a depressive mood.

"Hadrian, remember to write." She told him, fixing the collar of his white dressing shirt. Like Regulus, he did love his muggle clothes. She honestly should stop comparing him to Regulus. They were quite little alike, despite their similar appearance. If anything, Hadrian was probably more like his mother. She didn't know Lily very well, if at all, but who else would she blame Hadrian's often reckless, thoughtless actions on? When he felt somebody was being mistreated, Hadrian always rose up to action regardless of the consequences. She would have admired him for it, if this part of his personality did not get him in a trouble far too often than she would have liked. "And don't get in the trouble. I mean it, Hadrian. Don't take after Dora."

Nymphadora stared at her mother dramatically, mouth gaping open as she faked a wounded heart in her chest. "Mom, I didn't think you thought so lowly of me! How will I live now?"

"You will live." Andromeda rolled her eyes. Honestly, if she didn't know any better, she would have thought she spawned a child with her cousin Sirius. They were so alike, it was eerie. "You always do." She turned to her daughter and inquired her, noting the lack of a tall, red-haired companion by her side. "Where's Charles?"

"Mom, despite what you may seem to think, we are not always together. I have my life. He has his life. So, really, who knows where the ginger wanker is? Certainly not me. I wouldn't care to know either."

Andromeda arched an eyebrow. "You are going to Romania for an Auror Training just because he's going to train there too."

"He's with his family." Nymphadora begrudgingly replied. "His little wanker of a brother is starting Hogwarts too this year. So, he's somewhere around here to see him off. We promised we'd see other at Diagon Alley afterwards."

Hadrian glanced at his cousin with a small, mischievous grin. "Are you two going on a date?" He inquired, looking far more curious than he probably had any right to be. But then again, Regulus used to do the same when he was at Hogwarts, if anything Sirius had told her was true. When there was anything juicy happening there, Regulus knew all about it.

Nymphadora looked as if somebody had just told her she was going to be a Professor at Hogwarts in the future, her worst fear. "Harry, don't be stupid! Of course not!" She made a disgusted face. "Eww! Even thinking about it gives me shivers. Charlie and me? No way in the hell."

"You don't have to be so dramatic, cousin. I was just asking."

Nymphadora glared. "Well, don't ask then." She made a face again, shaking her head, as if that would be enough to erase the picture off her head. "Never ask me that ever again." She chided him, "Bill, maybe? Definetly yes. I wouldn't thank you, however, if you try to set me up with him. But, Charlie? I will throw you off the nearest tower if you even consider it."

Hadrian rolled his eyes dramatically in the response, "Oh, yes, Nymph. We all know about your little crush on William Weasley. Let's move on already." He turned towards her, pleading for a change in a topic. "Andy, where's Ted anyway?"

"An emergency, apparently. Haven't you heard him when he informed us an emergency came up earlier, Hadrian? Something about how a man accidentally gulped his wand into his throat. It was broken, mind you, that's why it had fit inside his stomach so well."

Hadrian stared. "How did that even happen?" Hadrian stared at the clock by the station, frantically staring at it. "Anyway, it seems it's my time to leave. I need to find an empty seat."

"Harry —,"

"I know, I will write." She smiled in the response, kissing him lightly on the cheeks before he was stolen away by Nymphadora who hugged him as if she didn't think she would ever see him again. "Nymph, let me go! I can't breathe!"

Nymphadora reluctantly let him go with a slow smile on her face, "I know." she told him. "Don't get on Professor Snape's bad side, wanker."

"Who even is Professor Snape?"

"Never mind." She ruffled his dark hair. "Just, try not to get in a trouble, eh?"

"Look at you. Trying to act like an adult."

Nympadora looked offended. "Hey, for your information, I am an adult! I have the certificate and everything."

"It doesn't make you an adult. You actually have to grow up for that, Nymph." He grinned at them both boyishly, "Besides, how well did trying to stay away from a trouble work for you anyway? So, please, save your breath. It would save us both the time when Professor Dumbledore would call on you for the trouble I wound myself into."

Nymphadora considered it. "That's fair."

"Now, I really have to go." And then, having hugged them both, he turned on his heel and walked away.

"They grow up so fast. Yeah, Mom?"

Andromeda turned towards her daughter. "Tell me that when you've raised at least one rascal like you."

Nymphadora smiled. "I am sure I would someday, Mom."

"Just don't let Charlie knock you up."

Nymphadora made a face. "Eww, Mom! We are not like that!"

Andromeda arched an eyebrow. "I am just saying. You never know what could happen in Romania."

Nymphadora looked scandalized. "Mom!"

"Neville?" Hadrian looked at the small, blond-haired boy worriedly, having opened the compartment door to be welcomed by quite a worried looking Neville Longbottom and a rather short, brown-haired witch whose hair wasn't like anything he had ever seen before. Hadrian reminded himself to tell her a spell that could help her to fix the problem. "What happened? You do not look so good."

"I've lost my toad!"

"Hey, mate, come on. We'll help you look for it, won't we, Miss?"

"Hermione Granger." The small witch told him with a pleasant looking smile. "And you are Hadrian Black, I know. The scar is a dead give-away. You probably shouldn't have styled your hair quite like that, though, unless you wish for people to start talking."

Hadrian merely shrugged. "They'll talk with or without my help." He informed her. "Shall we look for it, then? If you are up to it, of course."

Hermione smiled. "Always." She jumped to her feet and then opened the compartment door, closely followed by them both. "So, Harry, you wager you'd end up a Slytherin like your dad?"

Hadrian shook his head. "I'm not much of a Slytherin, to be honest." He said. "I rather think I'll end up in either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. My Aunt Andromeda always says I am more like my mother than I am like my father. So, Gryffindor, probably."

Hermione nodded her head. "There's a fair chance we'll end up in the same house then." She then, turned to Neville and asked, "What about you, Neville?"

"Probably Hufflepuff." The other boy replied somewhat sheepishly. "My nana always did say my papa should've been a Hufflepuff." He said. "And I'm not brave or smart enough to make it into any of those houses like my parents."

"Hey, don't be like that." Hermione turned towards him disapprovingly. "I am sure you are just a wonderful person."

"Thank you, Hermione, for saying so. Even if it's not true." Neville had an insecurity problem. Not much because he was actually an insecure person, but more because his grandmother made him feel like less. It was one of the reasons why he didn't like the older witch much, regardless of how much people respected her in the wizarding community. "How about that one?" And they opened the compartment door open, only to be welcomed by Ron Weasley and Seamus Finnigan, and some other boy he didn't recognize.

"Weasley, have you seen a toad around here?"

Weasley shook his head, and tried to speak, even though his mouth was full of a food. "No toad." He said. "Who's your friend?"

"Who's your friend?" Hadrian countered.

"I am Dean." The tall, dark-skinned boy replied. "Dean Thomas. And I am guessing you are Hadrian Black? Ron told us all about you, about what great friends you are. Honestly, seeing as I don't know anyone here yet, I am really thankful that someone here at least has some friends."

They weren't friends.

If anybody asked him if he would rather be stuck in a room with Draco or Weasley, he would choose Draco any day over him. At the very least, he didn't have the urge to hit the blonde every time he watched him eat his food. They were mutually well-mannered, thank you very much.

"I suppose." Hadrian told them hesitatingly, turning to leave before Hermione started to introduce herself. He didn't wish to spend a minute longer here. "If you excuse me, I have a toad to find."

"Harry, are you really friends with him?" Hermione inquired, running to catch up with him, clearly judging his choice of friends.

"Of course not." He replied. "He was lying." He then led them towards the next compartment, "Come on, let's try this one." He opened the compartment door, only to be welcomed by the sight of Draco and Theodore playing muggle card games — Ted had taught Draco and him when they were seven. "Draco, have you seen a toad? Neville lost it."

Draco shook his head. "Not at all."

"But we would make sure to tell you if we do, Hadrian." Theodore added with a wide, beaming smile. "Who's your friend, though, mate? I don't think I have seen her before."

"I'm Hermione Granger." Hermione spoke before he could, smiling warmly at them as she offered them her hand to shake. Theodore gladly obliged, "Pleasure, Granger. I am Theo. And this loser here is Draco. Mind you, he's only brooding because he knows he is losing the game."

Draco glared. "I am not losing." He protested, and seeming to realize he had a company, put the cards on top of the table and stared at them, looking as if he was torn between asking them to leave, and afraid of sounding rude. "I am not."

"Sure." Hermione perked up. "I believe you." She did not sound as if she believed him. "Can I play?"

"Sure, after I finish wiping his ass in this round." Theodore smirked, only earning Malfoy's glare. "You do have to stay, though. You will not mind, wouldn't you, Draco?"

Draco merely shrugged. "I really do not care."

Hermione looked at him regretfully. "I am really sorry, Neville, I know I said I would but —,"

"It's fine." Neville shrugged his shoulders. "He'll turn up. Like he always does." He then turned towards him, "Harry?" Neville looked as if he was afraid that he would decide to stay too. He didn't have to be afraid. Draco didn't mind Hermione's company because he didn't know her, despite her muggle-born status —having divorced from Lucius, Narcissa did her best to avoid getting her son having any of those old-fashioned, traditional ideas — but he would mind if he decided to stay. He might prefer the blonde's company over Weasley's, but they weren't exactly on the best of the terms.

"I'm coming." He then followed Neville out of the door.

Scotland, Hogwarts

"Black, Hadrian." Anxiously, Hadrian stepped out of the line and started to walk towards the dusty, old hat. He gulped, fear starting to take over his head, wondering of what would happen if he got sorted and didn't get along with his housemates. Because that would be just unacceptable. "Oh, yes. A Black. I haven't had one of those in decades." The hat started talking in his head when Professor McGonagall put the hat on top of his head, "Your father wasn't exactly the pleasant sort. He threatened to set me on the fire if I dared to sort him into anywhere that's not Slytherin. Can you believe the nerve of him? You wouldn't do the same to me, would you?"

Hadrian frantically shook his head. It seemed that his father had done a number on the hat. "Well, good." The hat sighed in the relief, "Now, let's see. Much like your father, it seems, we are going to have a difficulty here. Tell me, boy, would you rather be a lion or a snake?"

"Put me where you think I shall fit in the most, where you think I would just belong."

"Well then, GRYFFINDOR!" And smiling, Hadrian jumped off his feet, stalking toward the Gryffindor, ignoring the hushed whispers that followed his sorting. Not everyone knew his mother was a Gryffindor. "Welcome, mate," A rather tall, brown-haired boy welcomed him. "I am Oliver Wood." He then, immediately went down to a business. "Say, how good are you at a Quidditch? Because we are looking for —,"

A small, brown-haired witch nudged him in the ribs. "Not now, Wood!" She scolded him. "Besides, have you forgotten? First years aren't allowed to play." Oliver cursed under his breath, mumbling something about stupid rules that didn't make any sense in whatsoever. "Ignore this dolt. When his mind is filled with Quidditch, which is most days, he doesn't think of anything else." She smiled pleasantly at him, "I am Katherine Bell, by the way. It's nice to meet you, Hadrian."

"Likewise." He shook her hand. She then turned her head towards a very familiar looking redhead, scolding him, "Weasley, book off the table!"

Percy Weasley turned his attention off his book, averting it to the brunette instead. "Need I to remind you that you are not, in fact, my mother? You cannot tell me what to do."

"Sure, I can." Katherine Bell smirked. "I am sure you really wouldn't wish for Penelope to know that crush you have on her now, do you?"

"Fuck you, Bell."

"Oh, please. You are not my type."

Oliver made an exaggerated sound. "Children, please. Mind your language." He lectured them both. "There is a child under the age of fifteen present here."

"Oh, go off, Wood!"

Percy Weasley glared at Oliver. "Shut up, Oliver!" He snapped. "He has Nymphadora Tonks living with him in the same house. She and Charles are as crude as any drunkard. If you think he is going to be scarred by our use of a language, then you are incorrect. He is already scarred for life."

Hadrian gave them a tight smile. "Well, he is not really wrong." She can be quite crude. "So, you three are friends?"

Oliver grinned at him boyishly. "Oh, yes." He admitted. "The best of friends."

Percy glared. "Like hell we are." He grumbled. "Just because I am forced to put up with you lot, doesn't make us friends."

"As you can see, Hadrian, he's loath to admit the undeniable truth. But, don't be fooled, despite his less than pleasant attitude, Percy just loves us." Katherine grinned, pinching Percy lightly on the cheek.

Percy glared, looking as if he was about to open his mouth to chide her. "Kate, how many times do I have to tell you? Stop touching me!"

"Oh, yes. Only your mother is allowed."

Percy growled, making the point of pushing his glasses further into his nose. "Kate, one day, I swear I am going to murder you."

"So, you say." Katherine snorted into her drink disbelievingly. "However, we all know how much you adore me. I mean, who would not? Just look at me."

Hadrian laughed slightly, turning his head toward the center of the Great Hall, just in the time to see Hermione Granger waltzing towards the Ravenclaw table. She looked pleased with the result of her sorting.

"Oh, yes. We are all painfully aware exactly how much Miss Katherine Andrea Bell is in love with herself." Percy droned on, clearly not interested in the topic. "Let's move on, people." He then turned to Oliver, "Have you heard anything about this year's Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor?"

Oliver shook his head. "No, what about you?"

"Me neither."

Oliver blinked his eyes. "Then, why did you ask me?"

Percy merely smiled misheviously, his blue eyes only spelling a trouble.

"Longbottom, Neville."

"Gryffindor!" The hat yelled, and Neville ran towards their table with a wild, beaming grin, somehow managing to not fall along the way.

"Neville, welcome to Gryffindor, mate." Hadrian grinned, patting him on the shoulder affectionately.

Neville bit his lips, smiling somewhat anxiously. "Thanks, Harry." He said.

"Neville, are you —,"

"Oliver, get it into your thick head," Percy chided, looking wildly annoyed. "He is a eleven-year-old, which means he ain't allowed to play Qudditch out there on the field." Then, almost as if nothing happened, he resumed his reading.

Oliver looked like he had just witnessed someone kicking a small, helpless puppy. "Kate, did you hear? Percy is being so mean to me!"

Percy glared. "What are you, five? Grow up already."

Then, after the sorting ceremony was done and over with, Albus Dumbledore rose up from his seat and started to speak, "Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you." Hadrian rolled his eyes dramatically at the speech, wondering if there was any hidden meaning behind the speech. Though, as hard as he tried, he couldn't find any.

"Harry, have you tried this?" Neville asked, pointing at the pumpkin soup. "Come on, try. It is simply delicious."

Hadrian nodded his head and jumped into the opportunity to eat as much as he could before the night was over, and he would be forced to head to the dormitory.
Sign up to rate and review this story