Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Draco's Detention

by ilex 1 review

Butterbeer run and detention...another unusual combination. The students get their first view of Anna's temper, and it's aimed at Professor Snape.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-21 - Updated: 2006-09-22 - 2206 words

1Original

Chapter 10



Draco's Detention





"Ahhh! Help! Let go of me! Help!"



"What the ..." Anna turned, and then heard Tut's horn honking. "Oh ... someone didn't listen. Well, let's go see who it is."



Smiling, she walked slowly up the bank to the courtyard entrance. Seated on the motorcycle was Draco Malfoy, trying to wrench his hands free from the handlebars while twisting on the seat, but he wasn't having any luck; his hands were stuck to the grips, as was his posterior to the leather seat. Crabbe and Goyle were trying in vain to pry him loose, but they backed off as Professor Twigg-Jones came into the courtyard.



"Well, well, if it isn't our Mr. Malfoy." Anna observed him coolly as she approached, followed by the spectators and players from the lawn, and Professor Flitwick.



"Mr. Malfoy! Get off of Professor Twigg-Jones' machine at once!" Professor Flitwick admonished him.



"He can't Filius, he's stuck there for now," Anna leaned over and whispered to him.



"What is going on out here ... Mr. Malfoy, what do you think you are doing?" Professor Snape emerged from the doorway to the school. "You heard Professor Flitwick, get off that thing, /NOW/!"



"I /can't/!" Draco was furious, not just at being caught, but out of embarrassment at being unable to move. Students were snickering and grinning, which caused him to blush and glare at them.



"You can't?" He turned to Anna. "What is the meaning of this, Professor Twigg-Jones?"



"I should think that is perfectly obvious, Professor Snape. Our young Mr. Malfoy is seemingly incapable of understanding the simplest of orders; '/Do ... Not ... Sit ... On ... The ... Motorcycle/.' Half a dozen words that he obviously thought didn't apply to him."



"That was not my question. Why can't he get off?"



"I haven't told Tut to let go of him yet."



"Well, do so ... /immediately/."



"What did you say?"



"I said release him."



"Are you ... ordering me?"



"Yes."



"Oh ... well ... NO."



"What?"



"N. O. NO"



"Explain yourself."



"Honestly, Professor, you're worse than Mr. Malfoy. Fine...what part of NO don't you understand?" Anna gazed up at Snape and tilted her head, a smile spreading across her face.



"Have that machine release him ... /NOW/. I'll deal with him myself."



"Oh.../I don't think so/," she purred. "Mr. Malfoy disobeyed the rules, my rules, so he has to face the consequences of his actions. You are not going to rescue your little fair haired boy and let him off with a slap on the wrist. I was serious when I said no-one was to sit on Tut. Now," she continued, turning to Draco with a smile, "let's see ... I think a detention and an apology are in order, Mr. Malfoy."



"Professor," Snape growled, but Anna rounded on him and took a step toward him.



"Stay /out /of it, Professor Snape; this is between Mr. Malfoy and me. You, /of all people/, should understand the rules about giving detentions."



Her eyes were flashing and he knew the warning signs of her temper. Taking a step back, he crossed his arms and nodded his head, much to the surprise of the students, especially Draco, whose eyes widened. Turning back, Anna went to the front of the bike and bending over, whispered to the machine. Draco was released and he scrambled off of the seat, to stand in front of Professor Snape.



"Come here, Mr. Malfoy, I'd like to introduce you to Tut," Anna called. "/Come ... here/."



Snape shoved him forward and Draco walked over to stand in front of the motorcycle, which looked him up and down and then shook a little. Because it was mad or laughing, it was impossible to tell.



"Tut, this is Draco Malfoy, a member of Slytherin House. Draco this is Tut. Say hello to the nice motorcycle, won't you?"



Draco shot her a look of pure loathing, and then looked to Snape, who nodded slightly.



"Hello," he muttered in a low voice.



"See, that wasn't so bad. Now... about your detention. I think there's no time like the present for you to serve it," Professor Twigg-Jones said, walking around and settling herself on the bike's seat. "Get on."



"What?" Draco went pale. "Get on?!"



"Yes, Draco, get on. You were keen two minutes ago. We're going into Hogsmeade on a butterbeer run. Would you all like some?" She looked around at the crowd of students, whose faces lit up. "You have been playing hard, so we'll just go get something for you to drink at the halftime break. Spectators, too. And it's my treat. Come on, Mr. Malfoy, get on, we haven't got all day."



Draco looked to Snape again.



"Do as Professor Twigg-Jones says Mr. Malfoy." Snape spat at him, shooting Anna a thunderous look. "She has the right to decide your detention. It's out of my hands."



Anna put her wand in the holder and held out her hand for Draco's. He hesitated, so she turned and looked him straight in the eyes.



"I'll say this once and only once Mr. Malfoy. When you ride on Tut, your wand goes in the holder for its own safety; to keep from being dropped, broken or lost. Now give it to me and /get on/."



Reluctantly, he gave her his wand and swung his leg over the seat to settle in behind her.



"We'll be back in twenty minutes or so," she started the engine and glided out of the courtyard, and then gunning the engine she tore down the road to Hogsmeade village.



X # X # X



As they rolled down High Street, witches and wizards hurried to get out of the way, with looks of shock and amazement on their face. However, the Hogwarts students who were in the village just smiled and nudged each other. Some even called hello and waved. Professor Twigg-Jones returned the greetings and wended her way to the /Three Broomsticks/. She signaled Draco to dismount. After getting off herself, she stepped around the back of the bike and opened one of the saddlebags. Digging in her pocket, she tossed Malfoy a couple of Galleons.



"Go in and get four, no, make it six cases of butterbeer and bring them out here."



"What .. carry all that by myself? The barman can do that," Draco grumbled.



"You will carry at least two of those cases, Mr. Malfoy, or you'll carry all of them up to the school, on foot, /one bottle at a time/. Now go." Professor Twigg-Jones fixed him with a stony stare.



He glared at her but went inside, having to push his way through a growing crowd of patrons jamming the door, who were trying to see where all the noise was coming from. Madam Rosemerta elbowed her way through, her face showing annoyance at the disruption to her business, until she saw who it was and the scowl turned into a big smile.



"Anna? Anna Twigg?'



"Madam Rosemerta, how absolutely marvelous it is to see you!"



"I heard you were back at Hogwarts, but on staff this time. The shoe's on the other foot. Bit of a change for you, that."



"You haven't changed a bit, though, not one bit. How do you do it?" Anna walked over to the door to give and receive a big hug. "What a darling gown. Who made it?"



"Madam Malkin, of course, I won't buy my gowns from anyone else. But my dear, what /ar/e you wearing?" Madam Rosemerta looked at her in dismay.



"If you're going to ride," she indicated the motorcycle with a sweep of her hand, "you need to go for practicality, not style. However, I am also a devotee of Madam Malkin. She's been my preferred gown maker since I left school."



"Come inside and have a drink," Madam Rosemerta invited Anna into the pub, but just then Draco appeared, straining under the weight of two cases of butterbeer. The barman followed, easily carrying the other four cases.



"Can't right now, I've got to get this lot back to the school. A gang of thirsty students are waiting. Hold on a minute there, Mr. Malfoy." Draco staggered to a halt, shifting the cases and grunting.



Anna reached into the open saddlebag and pulled out a miniature side car. She set it down on the street and taking her wand, tapped it and stepped back as it grew, quickly, to its proper size. Tapping it again, the sidecar reached out and attached itself to the connections on the right side of Tut.



"Put your cases in the front. Carefully, Mr. Malfoy, carefully. Now ...my change, please."



Draco dug in his pocket and handed over the sickles, which Anna in turn gave to the barman as he straightened up from depositing his cases in the sidecar.



"Thank you, Miss," he bowed and went back inside.



Anna smiled at Madame Rosemerta. "I'll bring the empties back this evening and take you up on that offer of a drink."



"Wonderful, we've lots to talk about. It's been a long time," Madam Rosemerta smiled, pleased at the thought of the coming gossip session. Then turning, she shooed her customers back inside.



X # X # X



Anna got on the bike, then Draco. She leaned over, grabbed a butterbeer and held it out to him.



"Have one, Mr. Malfoy. It's on the house."



"No ... thank you."



"Oh, come on Draco, lighten up. That was the shortest and easiest detention ever given at Hogwarts and you know it. Relax and enjoy life, it's a lot more fun that way."



She started the motorcycle, handed him the bottle and turned the bike around to head back to the school. As she navigated the narrow streets of Hogsmeade, Anna reached for a bottle of butterbeer for herself, twisting off the cap which she flipped into the sidecar. She stopped for a minute at the railway crossing.



"Tell you what, Draco, I propose a toast: Here's a cheer to butterbeer, having fun on weekends and being able to brag you've had a ride on Tut." She held her bottle over her shoulder and Draco clinked his with it.



"Cheers ... ah, Professor?"



"Yes?" Taking a long drink of her butterbeer, she twisted around to look at Draco.



"Swear you won't tell anyone"



"Sure ... I swear ... What?"



"It is fun, riding on this thing...not a word, ok?"



"Draco, I'm a Gryffindor, my word is sacred." She smiled at him, but as she turned around, he smirked, shook his head and took a swig from his bottle. What he didn't see was Anna mouth, 'Draco, one day you'll understand."



X # X # X



Driving slowly up the road to the school, they saw the footballers were playing again. Ron made a great diving catch to stop Dean from scoring. He spotted them coming and called, "Time out! They're back!"



Tut rolled smoothly onto the courtyard cobbles, where Anna parked. Then she and Draco dismounted. Everyone gathered around the motorcycle as they handed out the butterbeers. The students drifted away to sit and enjoy the cool drinks and rest a little. Professor Snape stalked up and Anna spun around, bottle in hand.



"Butterbeer, Professor Snape?"



"No ... thank you. Are you finished with Mr. Malfoy?"



"Just one more little thing: he still has to apologize to me for disobeying the rules I set down about my motorcycle."



"Very well ... apologize, Mr. Malfoy."



Taking a deep breath, Draco straightened up, glanced briefly at Anna, and then intoned, with as much sincerity as he could muster, "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you about not sitting on your motorcycle."



"Apology accepted." Leaning closer, she whispered just loud enough for Snape to hear her, "I don't think I need to worry about Professor Snape ever breaking my rule, he's scared to ride on it, you see."



She winked at Draco and then turned and smiled sweetly at Snape.



"I heard that," Severus growled through clenched teeth.



"Ooops," Anna put her hand to her mouth. She wrinkled her nose at Snape and then laughed out loud.



"Absurd woman. Come with me, Mr. Malfoy." Snape ushered Draco toward the school.



Harry walked over to Professor Twigg-Jones, watching as Malfoy and Professor Snape crossed the courtyard and disappeared through the door.



"Do you really think Malfoy's sorry, Professor?"



"Harry, the only thing Draco is sorry about is getting caught. This is going to get interesting; paybacks being what they are."



"You don't really believe he'd try to get back at you somehow?" Harry looked at her, aghast. "You're a teacher."



"That won't matter. I'd bet even money he and Severus are discussing ideas, as we speak." She giggled at the thought. "Mark my words...it'll be a while before it happens. Plotting and planning takes time. I don't think Severus will let him go overboard though or Draco could get expelled but some stunt, at my expense, will be forthcoming. Tell you the truth I'd be a bit disappointed if he didn't try something, being his father's son. Still, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.



"Hand me one of those butterbeers, Harry. It's been a busy morning and I still have to talk Professor Flitwick into taking a spin on Tut. Maybe he'd consider going for a ride in the sidecar. Oh, Filius!"




Sign up to rate and review this story