Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Paybacks are...fun

by ilex 0 reviews

It wasn't a matter of IF...but WHEN and HOW. Revenge, for Draco, is sweet...and orange and very messy.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-23 - Updated: 2006-09-23 - 2021 words

2Funny

Chapter 11



Paybacks are ...fun





"Ta-Da!"



"My goodness, don't you look festive. Your Madam Malkin has outdone herself this time!"



Christopher put down his book and sat up straight in his chair to check out his widow's new outfit; a dark, burnt orange gown with a duster of burned-out velvet, patterned with multi-colored autumn leaves. Anna descended the stairway, twirled around a few times and struck a pose by her desk.



"Isn't it divine? Cost a sack full of Galleons, but I figured - why not - I'm worth it!"



"I'll second that, you most certainly are. Has Severus seen it yet?"



"No." She shook her head. "I just brought it back with me from London last Sunday. I'll be unveiling it at the Halloween Feast tonight. You know, I think I'm actually starting to educate him about fashion, whether he realizes it or not. Fabrics, textures and design are not in his frame of reference, but they will be if I have anything to say about it. And I do."



"I warned him about you and your devious ways." Christopher settled back and regarded Anna with a smile.



"/What/? When have you been talking to Severus?"



"Well, it took me the better part of six weeks to find just the right place where I could 'ambush' him, without anyone seeing, so I could have a talk with him. He knew I was in residence, having heard some of the younger Slytherins talking about my portrait hanging in your classroom, but he didn't know I was able to wander around. He assumed that, being a Muggle, I wouldn't have the power of movement, you see."



"I totally forgot to tell him about your portrait! We only see each other at meals and then we can't talk much. Is he very upset about that?"



"No, I shouldn't think so. He knows you've been extremely busy, with your exhausting schedule, and extra activities. He is wondering if you've overextended yourself a bit, perhaps. I told him that it's just the opposite. The more you have to do the more energized you become, up to a point. That's when you need a break and it looks like the end of term holiday will be just at the right time for you to get some rest."



"I can hardly believe we're halfway to Christmas already," Anna remarked. "Between classes and the D.A. sessions, I'm sleeping like the proverbial rock. So far, so good; at least I'm rested, physically. Mentally, well, there's a lot going on I could worry myself sick about, but if I can't control it, why worry about it, right?"



"True. Deal with things as they happen, otherwise, let them take care of themselves. Oh, I have told Severus I know about you two getting involved with each other and that I approve." Christopher smiled at her. "I explained that I could hear some of what happened that night, but being wrapped up, wasn't officially a resident; not until I was hung on the wall, next morning. He accepted it with good grace, especially after I had a laugh with him about that slap."



"Just how often do you two get together to discuss me, may I ask?" Anna regarded him with one eyebrow raised.



"Well, that first conversation was a long one, as he had a free period and we didn't have to worry about students overhearing us, you see. Since then I've managed to find my way down to his office, where there's a small painting in the corner. We decided to use it as an easy way to contact each other if the need arises. The dogs can hear him if he calls me, and I can send them down to see if he's there, if I need to reach him. They're much quicker than I at getting around.



"I should have had you order a couple of years knocked off me when you had this portrait painted," Christopher chuckled. "These old bones are creaking like rusty hinges. Anyway, we've decided to meet and have our conversations in the teachers lounge, during his free period. There's less chance of anyone being around then, student or teacher."



"That's a smart idea, but darling, the good news is that you're not getting any older, as opposed to the rest of us. You were always young at heart and in my eyes. Our age difference never mattered, you know that. At least now the gap is closing," she added, smiling at him.



"Right," he nodded, agreeing with her. "Give it another twenty-five years and we'll be even. Then you'll become my senior and I can brag I've got an older woman wrapped around my little finger." Christopher broke into song. "Bum .. bum .. bum .. just a gigolo .." Anna rolled with laughter.



"Oh, no!" she exclaimed, seeing the time on the clock on her desk. "I'm going to be late!" She ran to the door. "See you later!" Anna called, as out into the hallway she flew.



X # X # X



"I wonder what entertainment we might have tonight. Sir Nicholas hinted the ghosts have some new synchronized flying formations," Neville revealed as the Gryffindors neared the Great Hall.



"Maybe we'll have some music, too." Ginny peeked in the door. "I don't see anything special set up."



"At least the desserts will be extra special!" Ron grinned at the prospect.



They entered the Great Hall, passing Draco Malfoy and his gang, who were lounging by the hallway entrance to the dungeons.



"It'll be special all right." He smirked meaningfully at the other Slytherins, who snickered and poked one another in the ribs. "This'll be one feast she'll wish she missed altogether. Ah, speak of the devil!"



He gazed up the staircase and watched Professor Twigg-Jones came rushing down. She skidded to a halt on the last few steps, smoothed down her gown, patted her hair into place and walked sedately through the door.



"Come on, we'd better not be late. Don't want to miss the /entertainment/." Laughing, the Slytherins entered the Great Hall behind Anna and found places at their table.



X # X # X



The Hall was decorated with the usual myriad of candles, but in addition, a few dozen hollowed out carved pumpkins, lit from within, were floating lazily above the tables. Clouds of bats wove their way, squeaking softly, twixt the candles and pumpkins, swooping, turning and swiftly winging the length of the Hall and back.



Everyone settled down and Professor Dumbledore rose to speak.



"Well, tonight is our Annual Halloween Feast, so without further ado .. " He clapped his hands and the food appeared on the tables.



As he passed her the sweet potatoes, Snape took the opportunity to talk quietly with Anna.



"You look very nice tonight. New gown, perhaps?"



"Why, thank you and yes, I picked it up last weekend while I was in London. How sweet of you to notice." She turned toward him and spied a slight smile playing at the corner of his mouth. She knitted her brow. "What is it? What's so funny that's it's almost bringing a smile to your face?"



"Nothing, nothing at all." He wouldn't look at her, turning to his dinner plate.



"You're avoiding, Severus, so either something's very funny and I've missed it, or .. oh, oh .. it's tonight, is it?"



"Is what tonight?" Severus tried to sound innocent, but lost his battle not to look at her, glancing just briefly in her direction. She frowned.



"You're being very smug. Is it or isn't it payback time?"



"Payback?" His eyebrows shot up. "What ever do you mean?"



"Oh, that's the way it's going to be? I'll just have to wait and see, will I?"



He turned and looked at her. "Yes."



"Ditto...and trying to sweet talk me isn't getting you off the hook, Scooter. Oh well, pass me the carrots."



"Certainly...Scooter indeed!"



X # X # X



Neville was right; the ghosts had worked out a very artistic display of synchronized flying, including a waltz featuring Sir Nicholas and the Grey Lady. The students oo'd and ah'd in all the right places and applauded enthusiastically as the ghosts made a final pass down the length of the Great Hall. While everyone settled down to finish their desserts, Hermione sat looking quizzically toward the ceiling. Ron noticed and swiveled to follow the direction of her gaze, trying to see why she was staring.



"Hermione, what are we looking at, exactly?"



"See that big pumpkin," Hermione pointed, "floating over the staff table? Something's not right; it's wobbling and drifting in a funny sort of way .. I've got a bad feeling about this." She turned around and then gasped, "Look! Draco has his wand out; he's controlling that pumpkin! What is he /doing/?"



Looking toward the front again, Hermione saw the pumpkin start to tilt. Jumping up she shouted, "ANNA! MOVE!", while pointing up at the pumpkin.



Professor Twigg-Jones instinctively started to throw herself backward as her eyes flashed to Hermione, but just as quickly she froze and remained seated in her chair. Giving a small nod, she closed her eyes just as .. SPLUSH!!



The entire contents of the huge pumpkin; seeds, juice, membrane and mashed pulp, came cascading down, enveloping Professor Twigg-Jones in an orange slime that completely covered her from head to toe. The staff and students gasped and stared, and then a low buzz of whispers started, along with people standing and craning their necks to see what had happened.



An instant later, Hermione, livid with rage, turned to look at the Slytherin table, where the students around Malfoy were snickering, hands over their mouths, trying their best not to laugh out loud. Draco was grinning like Christmas had come early.



Hermione started to crawl onto and over the table heading toward him, quite heedless of the possible consequences, with Ron grabbing her and trying to hold her back. Draco noticed her efforts, and sneered, "Come on, Mudblood. I'm in just the right mood." He idly twirled his wand, teasing her.



The Headmaster slammed his hands down on the staff table and rose. Everyone in the Hall stopped, except Hermione, who was halfway onto the Gryffindor table, with Ron doing his best to stop her.



Ron hissed in her ear, "STOP!! Dumbledore sees!" She ceased struggling to look toward the front table.



Dumbledore's face was a mask of fury, but before he could utter a word there was a movement to his right. Turning, he watched, slightly taken aback, as Professor Twigg-Jones held up and waved her hand and then held up a finger, indicating she wished him to wait for a moment.



She wiped dripping pumpkin off of her eyes, nose and mouth, gasped and then shook her hands to rid herself of some of the mess, inadvertently spraying Professor Snape with a few seeds. He flicked them from his sleeve and robe and then tilted his head to try and see if she was alright. He also risked a glance down the Slytherin table to lock eyes with Draco and a small smile pulled at the corners of his mouth. Draco nodded and grinned wickedly.



Suddenly, "Ha!" and Severus turned, astonished, to look at Anna, who put her head back and laughed till tears ran down her face. The watching students and staff looked at each other, not knowing what to think.



She stood slowly, the puddle of pumpkin guts in her lap landing with a loud, disgusting plop on the floor. She checked her chair, the table, the floor and her gown, surveying the damage, then looked up at the empty pumpkin still floating above her, dripping a seed or two onto her head. A grin spread across her face as she turned, chuckling, to Professor Flitwick.



"Would you mind, Filius? I don't think I could grasp my wand properly."



"Oh, my dear girl, of course...'Scourgify'!"



In a whirl of orange, the debris and mess disappeared and she was standing there as if nothing had occurred.



"Professor?" Dumbledore said softly. She turned to him. "Do you want to handle this or shall I?"



"No, I'll do it, Headmaster. Thank you for asking."










Sign up to rate and review this story