Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Rescue Me

iacta alea est

by hootowl 0 reviews

iacta alea est - “The die is cast.” Attributed to Julius Caesar. According to Plutarch, Caesar actually said it in Greek. Go figure. Recognizable quotes from “Day of Black Sun Part 1” an...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Katara,Zuko - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2020-04-11 - 8422 words - Complete

0Unrated
It was strange being on a ship again. It'd been months since he…lost his ship in the waters near the North Pole and the familiar sway of the waves kept him awake instead of relaxing him into sleep. Half-formed worries rose in his mind to be replaced by other, more substantial, worries that kept sleep from coming. That, and the unfamiliar presence of other men unknown to him. He and Sokka were bunked in with the rest of the warriors and the arrhythmic snores from the various bunks kept him on edge as much as his thoughts did.

At dawn, he gave up on his fitful sleep and rolled out of his bunk, quietly weaving between the swaying hammocks and snoring men. On deck, the eastern horizon was tinged a faint purple which faded into a deep navy. Zuko breathed a deep sigh, taking a moment to let the sea breeze wash away the fog of exhaustion. The deck was empty and, apart from the night watch in the crow's nest who eyed him suspiciously, Zuko was alone. He made his way to the forward deck and took a seat. Perhaps meditation would ease his thoughts.

Sokka appeared on deck an hour later, yawning hugely and rubbing sleep from his eyes. He dropped down next to Zuko, staring blearily at the rising sun while propping his elbow on his knee and resting his chin in his hand. When Sokka said nothing for several minutes, Zuko ignored him, thinking that maybe Katara's brother simply wanted to escape the snores of the other men.

Still looking and sounding half asleep, Sokka stated, "You like my sister."

Zuko's eyes snapped opened and he glanced at the other boy from the corner of his eye. Sokka was still gazing half-lidded at the horizon and didn't seem particularly perturbed by his statement. Still, he took note that Katara's brother had brought his sword. Zuko let his hand rest on the dao swords he'd placed on the deck by his left side, more for reassurance than the belief that he would be attacked. His fingers flexed and he breathed out. "Yes."

Silence passed between them for several long heartbeats before Sokka grunted, muttering, "Figures. I kind of suspected — You watch her all the time, you know."

Zuko's brow furrowed. "I do?"

Sokka rolled his shoulders and popped his neck before he slumped down again. "Yeah. Kind of annoying, really. I don't think anyone else noticed," he paused, frowning in thought. "Well, maybe Toph."

Zuko didn't know what to say to that. Toph did have an uncanny ability to know everything that was going on around her and she'd sent him a few knowing smirks over the last several days. He thought that she probably enjoyed creating awkward situations. Sokka stirred, stretching his arms above his head and looking more awake when he turned to regard Zuko seriously. "I don't think I like it, but Katara seems to think differently and…well, she's got a mind of her own. You'll take care of her, right?"

He met the Water Tribe boy's eyes steadily. "Yes."

Sokka's brow furrowed and his lips pursed as he contemplated Zuko's answer. With a final nod, he pushed himself to his feet and stretched his back. Zuko stood as well and slipped his dao swords over his head to lay flat agains his back. It was still early in the day, the sun just barely above the horizon, so there were few men about though the ship was beginning to stir. Sokka turned away from the ocean, his eyes catching on the dao hilt. "Are you up for some sparring?"

Zuko hesitated, glancing toward the helm where he was sure Hakoda was keeping a close watch. He didn't see the Water Tribe chief, though he doubted the man was sleeping in. "Sure."

Sokka grinned, moving away from the ship's railing and toward the center of the deck, drawing his sword. "Great. It's been a few days." He took a few practice swings and then lifted the sword to examine the blade. "Take it slow?"

Zuko nodded his agreement, moving to his place in front of the other boy, rolling his shoulders back, and drawing the dao swords. He kept them as one blade, twisting his wrist and settling into a comfortable hold on the hilt. The sound of steel being drawn caught the attention of those on deck and several of the warriors paused to see what was happening. A murmur passed through them, most expressing some surprise that a firebender was willing to go blade-to-blade with a non-bender. Zuko ignored them, holding his sword at ready and prepared for Sokka's attack.

Over the weeks, Zuko had grown used to Sokka's style, though it was very similar to his own — most likely due to them both having the same master — the differences in blade types they each used necessitated that they develop different forms of attack and defense. Zuko watched the other boy and, when he caught the slight shift in his eyes, he brought his sword up in a parry.

They started slow, with just the basic parries and thrusts, to warm up before picking up speed and attacking with greater force. Movements across the deck became larger and tricks were brought to play. Zuko was vaguely aware that their sparring was gathering attention and the warriors were shouting encouragement to Sokka. Zuko's shorter blade put him at an advantage and he was able to get in close and use hand-to-hand combat moves, but Sokka had expected it and countered them — even if the counters were a little clumsily executed.

When Zuko split his swords, the watchers cried out in surprise. The sparring was fast and furious after that until Zuko managed to make Sokka lose his footing. The Water Tribe boy fell, managing to turn it into a controlled roll, but Zuko had his blades leveled on him before he could rise again. They held that stance, both breathing heavily, until Zuko backed away and sheathed his swords, offering a hand to Sokka. With a grimace, Sokka accepted the hand, sheathing his own sword and rubbing at the elbow he'd banged against the deck. "I almost had you that time."

Zuko's lips quirked up in a small smile. "You're getting better. Your tells are still too obvious."

At that point, the watching warriors moved forward and the babbled of excited voices washed over them. Zuko was surprised at just how many men had watched the spar. A hand fell on his shoulder and he turned to find Hakoda looking down at him. With a grin and a tilt of his head, Hakoda indicated a path to escape the press of people. Zuko gladly made his escape.

Katara met him at the edge of the crowd with her hands on her hips and a rueful grin. She nodded a greeting to a few of her father's men and then reached for Zuko's arm, drawing him away. "You can't avoid drawing attention for more than a day, can you?"

Zuko scowled at her, but willingly followed as she led him across the deck. "It was just sparring."

"I know," she assured him, glancing back in the direction they'd come. "That was very nice of you." When Zuko's brow drew down in confusion, she clarified, "Sokka — the warriors still treat Sokka like the boy they left behind. They humor him, but rarely take him seriously as a warrior. It doesn't help that most of them only remember him waving make-shift weapons at invisible enemies and screaming in terror when an arctic bird snatched his lunch from his hand."

A quick look back toward the warriors revealed that Katara had led him to a spot few would be able to see and he relaxed a little, shifting closer to her. "I wasn't going easy on him."

Her fingers plucked at the sleeve of his tunic and she tilted her head back to look up at him. "I know, but what's more important is that they know too."

Zuko gazed down at her and, after a moment's hesitation, tentatively put his hands on her hips and drew her closer. Her hand slipped up to his shoulder and curled around the back of his neck. He leaned down and then drew back uncertainly. "Katara?"

She made a disgruntled noise deep in her throat. "You worry too much," she complained and then pulled him down and kissed him breathless.

"Katara!"

Zuko jerked away from her guiltily, releasing her as if burned. Katara giggled, smoothing his ruffled hair and stepping away. A swift look proved they were still well hidden. She pressed a quick kiss to his cheek and moved out of their hidden spot. "That will be Dad so I better go," she explained with a smile. "I'll see you later?"

He nodded dumbly and she lifted a hand in farewell as she left to find her father. When she was gone, he slumped against the rail and ran a hand through his hair and released a heavy sigh. He knew he was being foolish. It was unrealistic to think they could keep a relationship secret. Sokka already knew and Toph obviously thought something was going on between them. It was bound to come out sooner or later.

He straightened, gripping the rail tightly and taking a deep breath. There were other things that were a more immediate concern. Concerns that were more easily remedied. Winning a war was sure to be easier than telling a girl's father that he was considering marriage, right?

Heat crawled up his neck and his mouth twisted. It was too soon to be thinking such thoughts. Right, he told himself, forcing his thoughts away from daydreams, war first.

...........

He was being watched. He tried to ignore it — he was the only firebender on a ship full of Southern Water Tribe members so it was natural that they would view him with some suspicion — but this kind of watchfulness felt different. They'd only been on the ship for three days and he was somewhat surprised the suspicion hadn't lasted longer than it did. He still half expected to be seized and clapped in chains before they tossed into the brig. Or overboard. It seemed his sparring match with Sokka the other morning had gone some way to reassuring the more wary. How, Zuko couldn't quite fathom. He couldn't imagine Sokka singing his praises. The mere thought was almost laughable.

He sighed. He was once more at the bow of the ship, well out of everyone's way, and still there was a persistent watchfulness. Katara had been volunteered to give her thoughts on waterbending defensive measures, should they acquire more waterbenders in the next few days, and the others were off doing…something. Aang seemed to be avoiding him and Toph was most likely keeping him company. In two days, they would put their plan into action. In two days was the Day of Black Sun. The beginning of the end. His stomach rolled in a way that had nothing to do with the motion of the ship. Was he doing the right thing? What if —

"Do you mind if I join you?"

Zuko startled, so absorbed in his thoughts he hadn't heard Hakoda's approach. Shifting to one side, he gave a stiff nod and Hakoda leaned against the railing, folding his arms and looking out across the water. The silence dragged between them and Zuko had to force himself to relax. The man had made no motion to attack him and, other than when they'd first arrived, treated him politely enough. Zuko studied the older man from the corner of his eye. His features were weathered and creased from years spent at sea and no doubt even more spent in the ice fields of the South Pole.

"I heard you were sent to sea at a very young age, Prince Zuko."

Piercing blue eyes turned on him and he quickly looked away, shrugging uncomfortably before catching himself mid-motion. The older man was a chief and Zuko had been taught better manners, even if he rarely used them. "Yes, sir."

A frown flickered across those eyes and Zuko knew he was trying to read what was unsaid. "I did not think they sent children to man warships."

"They do not," Zuko allowed, "usually."

Hakoda hummed, a wealth of speculation in the sound. "I don't know what cards life has dealt you, Prince Zuko, but you were there for my children when they needed you—" Zuko made a sound of protest that Hakoda ignored "—and for that I will do what I can to assist you after the war."

"I thank you," Zuko murmured a few beats later.

Humor suddenly shone in Hakoda's eyes and he straightened, rolling his shoulders. "Besides, it appears there may be a more permanent alliance between us in the future. The Water Tribe could do with a trading partner."

Mortified, Zuko turned to him with wide eyes, losing whatever dignified appearance he'd managed to assume. "W-what?"

Hakoda laughed. "Son, my daughter isn't exactly subtle in her interest and the fact that you don't push her away tells me all I need to know. You both are still young so we'll discuss…alliances after the war."

Zuko gave a jerky nod, sure that his cheeks were bright red. Hakoda's expression turned serious. "Katara mentioned that she learned waterbending — swampbending from a group in the Foggy Swamp. Sokka apparently met them as well." Hakoda paused a moment in thought, drumming his fingers against the railing. "Several weeks ago, I sent someone to the Foggy Swamp, at Sokka's request, and asked them to join us for the invasion. A few others will be arriving in the next day or so. I don't know how close we'll be able to get you and Katara to shore."

"We'll be fine, sir."

Hakoda frowned and Zuko noticed that the Water Tribe chief was intently examining the scar around his left eye. The firebender turned slightly, tilting the scar away. He wouldn't say he was used to the stares — it did occasionally bother him when people gawped — but that Hakoda seemed to know its origin unsettled him. It was an obvious sign of his shame.

"I'd heard rumors," Hakoda said quietly. "I didn't believe a man would be so cruel; not even a man I consider an enemy. I'd thought they were just stories. Propaganda to demoralize us. If a man can do that to his kin, what would he do to his enemies? I can't imagine — why?"

Zuko winced, wondering if he should tell. He hadn't spoken of the events surrounding his banishment. There had never been a need. His uncle had been there and firebenders could come to a fairly accurate conclusion. And the entire court had witnessed it. With a sigh, he spoke quietly, "I spoke against my father during a war council and dishonored him."

"By the Spirits, is that all?" Hakoda exclaimed disbelievingly.

Zuko blinked at him. Hakoda ran a hand over his face, sighed and then clapped a hand on Zuko's shoulder, saying earnestly, "You're a good kid."

"Hakoda!"

The shout from the command deck interrupted anything more Hakoda might have said and had both men turning. A tribesman waved a scroll to indicate that a messenger hawk had arrived. Hakoda grunted, shrugging ruefully. "It looks like there are still things left to do before the invasion. I'm sure we will talk again, Prince Zuko."

Hakoda released him with a friendly squeeze to his shoulder and Zuko watched as he walked away so he saw when Katara appeared on deck. She caught sight of him and smiled brightly, waving. Zuko lifted a hand in greeting and she hurried across the deck, cheerfully greeting her father as she passed him. She paused a heartbeat, glancing over her shoulder at the men who were clearly watching them, before blushingly kissing his cheek. He turned to face the ocean, ignoring the whistles from the crew. Katara glared at the offenders, then turned to him, her expression searching. "Everything all right?"

She put her hand next to his on the railing and, after a moment's hesitation, he slid his own over hers and laced their fingers. He nodded. "The swampbenders are going to arrive soon, hopefully."

"Oh," she gasped, looking pleased, "good. That'll be so much better during the invasion." She examined his face, brows lifting. "Are you still worried?"

He tucked his chin, frowning slightly, considering his answer. "I haven't heard from Uncle yet."

She squeezed his fingers, smiling gently and leaning into his shoulder. "He's fine. I'm sure of it. We still have a few days. If not, we'll improvise."

Improvise. It seemed like all Zuko did in life was improvise. He let his head drop against Katara's. He was so tired. She tugged her hand free and he felt her slide it around his waist. She hugged him gently, murmuring, "It's almost over."

...........

One more day. One more sunset and sunrise. One more and everything would change. Zuko gripped the ship's railing tightly, staring with unseeing eyes out at the rising sun. No, not everything. Not yet. Just the beginning of change. The cusp of the point of no return. This was it.

He'd come up on deck in order to center himself for the day, but instead found himself unable to sit still and besieged with worries. It was more than just pre-battle anxiety. If he was honest with himself, he wouldn't be able to pinpoint what, exactly, unsettled him. He half wished he could disappear into a little Earth Kingdom village in some half-forgotten corner of the world. He could almost convince himself that he would be happy with such an existence. If it weren't for the twinge of guilt and honor. And the whole idea burned with cowardice and shame.

A horn sounded from the lookout and Zuko straightened, scanning the ocean. Several small vessels, far too small to belong to any Fire Nation fleet, were gliding across the waves. He squinted against the morning sun, trying to identify the boats. Just because they were unlikely to be Fire Nation didn't make them friendly. Unable to distinguish any sort of flag or identification mark, he made his way toward the upper deck.

Katara was standing at the rail looking through an eyeglass, her brother and father standing at her shoulders and the ship's captain standing a few paces behind. Hakoda said something to his daughter that Zuko couldn't hear and Katara nodded, passing the eyeglass to Sokka. "They look like swampbenders," she said.

Sokka nodded his agreement, handing the eyeglass to Hakoda. "They're certainly not from the sister tribe. Should we raise the flag?"

Hakoda hummed quietly as he took his turn observing the approaching crafts. He lowered the eyeglass after a moment, glancing at Zuko as the firebender stepped up next to them. "What do you think, Prince Zuko?"

Zuko accepted the eyeglass from the Water Tribe Chieftain, risking a glance at Katara. She grinned at him and he quickly raised the eyeglass, hoping the heat on his cheeks wasn't noticeable. "They are definitely waterbenders," he said after a moment. "Their ships are more primitive than either the Southern or Northern Water Tribes. And smaller. Not exactly seacraft."

Hakoda nodded, turning to the captain. "Raise our flag. Sokka…"

He turned a look on his son and Sokka straightened. "Right, Dad."

He scurried away, practically leaping down the ladder to the main deck. Hakoda's lips quirked with amusement and he shook his head. "Katara, I'd like you to stay nearby for introductions." He took a step and then hesitated. "You may stay as well, Prince Zuko."

The firebender fidgeted and Katara moved to his side. "Thank you." He paused uncertainly before adding, "Zuko's fine, sir."

Hakoda laughed, clapping him on the shoulder. "Very well, son. Zuko it is."

With a final nod, Hakoda went to join the captain at the helm and Katara tugged Zuko to a protected place out of the wind. "I think my father likes you."

She laughed at his look at incredulous disbelief.

...........

The Day of Black Sun dawned with hardly a cloud in the sky. Katara spent most of the morning double checking all their preparations and pacing the war room in nervous energy. The swampbenders had arrived the previous morning and, among cheerful greetings and good-natured teasing, she'd managed to explain the plan and station several groups of swampbenders on each of the ships her father had captured. There was some skepticism and demands to know what magic was used to make metal float, but they'd settled among the Water Tribe warriors easily enough and the night was spent in song and drink.

She could vaguely hear the shouts and explosions that were occurring on deck. They'd engaged the fleet protecting the Fire Capital's harbor shortly after mid-day. She'd retreated to exchange her Earth Kingdom green clothing for Fire Nation red when Zuko had appeared at her shoulder and tugged her away from the conflict.

Forcing herself to cease her pacing, Katara took a deep breath and released it slowly. Maybe she should've accepted Zuko's invitation to meditate that morning. She tugged at the hem of her tunic, running her fingers over the worn fabric. She almost didn't want to know where her father had managed to find Fire Nation clothes. Her fingers were trembling and she clenched her fists to still them, squeezing her eyes shut and focusing on her breathing again.

"Katara?"

She opened her eyes to find Zuko standing in front of her, gold eyes reflecting concern as they traced her features. It was strange to see him in Fire Nation colors again. She smiled, even if it was a little shaky, and slowly released the breath she was holding. "Is it time?"

He nodded shortly. "Are you okay?"

He regarded her seriously for a moment longer and she wondered what thoughts were going through his mind. Eventually, he took her by the shoulders and leaned down. Warm lips pressed against her forehead and held there for a long heartbeat. Her breath hitched and her eyes burned. He stepped back, his expression serious as he took her hand. "Let's go."

He waited just long enough for her nod of agreement before he pulled her out of the council room and out onto the deck. The deck was in chaos as warriors shouted out commands and moved to counter attacks. Zuko moved confidently through the activity, pulling her after him. Someone shouted something to him that she couldn't understand and he turned his, lifting a hand to show he heard, but didn't slow his strides. The deck rolled beneath her feet and it was almost a relief when they finally reached their assigned post.

"Get ready!"

The shout drifted down from the commander's deck and set Katara's heart racing. Beside her, she heard Zuko take a deep breath and release it slowly. Her hand closed around the railing and she leaned against him as the ship cut across waves. The Great Gates of Azulon were directly in front of her and she could already see the Fire Nation ships converging on them and setting up a blockade.

"Waterbenders!" Hakoda roared.

Water shot up from the ocean like a geyser. Fire blossomed from the decks of the Fire Nation ships and Katara started. Zuko's hand closed over Katara's wrist. "Wait."

She steadied her breath. They weren't close enough yet and the eclipse hadn't started. A glance at the sky still didn't show any dimming of the sun. At least that's how Zuko described it to her when she'd asked.

They were upon the ships now and the fireballs the firebenders lobbed at them were just missing the deck. Commands were being shouted more frequently, but she couldn't hear them over the sound of battle. Water Tribe warriors were swinging from their ship to the closest Fire Nation ship to engage in battle on the deck. She heard a rush of wind and a roar of fire and a fireball changed course at the last minute, crashing into the sea with a growling hiss. Aang had joined the fight.

Suddenly, Zuko stiffened and a quiet groan sounded in her ear. Concerned, she glanced away from battle. He was pale and trembling, but she could see no wounds. At her glance, Zuko shook his head, mumbling, "The eclipse is starting."

Sure enough, the firebenders were retreating and different weapons were being brought out. The flash of steel became more frequent. Katara swallowed thickly. It was almost time. Zuko's head fell to her shoulder and warm breath brushed against her skin. She tilted her head, worried. "Zuko?"

"I'm fine. It's just— " he swallowed. "It's different."

She squeezed the arm that he wrapped around her middle, recalling a half-remembered day several months ago when it'd felt like a piece had been ripped from her soul. Sokka clattered over to them. "Dad says to get ready to go over. We're about as close as we can get."

Sokka caught his breath, glancing at Zuko slumped against Katara, a flicker of concern moving through blue eyes. Sokka moved forward, giving his sister an awkward hug. "Good luck. I'll see you…when it's over."

Zuko stirred, moving away from Katara and looking toward the shore. A whistle blew and Sokka nodded. "That's the signal that we have eight minutes."

Katara nodded grimly. This was it. The waves crashed against the side of the ship, sending up a mist of saltwater, and her heart lodged itself in her throat. She hadn't thought much about this part of the plan. The part where she had to swim. Ruthlessly pushing the surge of fear down, she lifted her hands and prepared to climb over the rail. A change in the wind currents teased her hair and suddenly Aang was there.

"Wait," Aang said, catching her wrist.

Sokka grunted. "We don't have a lot of extra time, Aang."

The airbender's look was chagrinned. "I know. I just—"

He took a deep breath and quickly darted forward. Katara jerked in surprise and Aang's lips landed at the corner of her mouth. For a moment, waterbender and airbender looked at each other in surprise and then Katara blinked.

"Aang…"

Aang blushed deeply, his expression disappointed. "Good luck."

He fled before she could say anything. Confused, she turned to Zuko. He sighed, saying quietly, "We need to go."

A jerky nod and Zuko stepped up onto the lower rung of the rail and swung his leg over. Once completely over the side, he waited for Katara, wrapping an arm securely around her waist and drawing her close. She clutched his tunic with trembling hands, gulping loudly. Zuko frowned. "Breathe, Katara. I won't let you drown."

She forced a shaky breath.

"Ready?" he asked, though she knew they didn't have time to waste.

"Yes."

His muscles flexed and he jumped. It took everything in her not to gasp at the sudden feeling of leaving her stomach behind. Wind rushed past her ears.

"Bend," Zuko reminded her.

The water rose to meet them in a wave and the cold shock made her forget to propel them back to the surface, but Zuko was already kicking. They surfaced in time to hear a startled yell as Sokka was launched over the side of the ship. He landed with a splash nearby, sending a wave of water over their heads. When they again broke the surface, Sokka was cursing, "Toph!"

The blind earthbender was leaning over the ship railing with Sokka's sword in hand, grinning widely. "Change of plans, Snoozles. Good luck, Sparky. Kick Crazy's butt, Snoozles."

"Toph!" Sokka sputtered angrily.

"You might need this," the girl called, tossing the sword she held overboard. Sokka gasped, diving for it. Toph cackled madly. "Don't worry about Twinkletoes, Sweetness. I'll keep an eye on him."

She waved and disappeared from view as Sokka came up clutching his sword and coughing up seawater. Zuko sighed, swimming to Sokka and grabbing the boy's arm. "Let's get moving."

...........

The trip from the Great Gates of Azulon was brief with the assistance of a waterbender though by the time they made it to shore, Katara's arms were shaking from the effort. They splashed ashore, slipping over slick rocks hidden beneath the waves to make it to an equally rocky shore. Zuko kept a hand under her arm to keep her upright as Sokka marched ahead, grumbling about earthbenders and sneaky tricks. He pulled his sword from his back and unsheathed it, dumping water to the stones, whining, "My sword's going to rust."

Zuko helped Katara sit, unsheathing his own blades and emptying seawater before sheathing again. "We'll have to clean them later. Once we get to Piandao's."

Sokka grunted stalking a distance away. Katara shook her head and Zuko dropped down next to her, stretching his legs out in front of him and leaning back on his palms. Katara sighed heavily, leaning against his shoulder. A swift scan of the shore revealed Sokka wringing out his tunic a ways down. He pressed his lips against the crown of Katara's head. "Okay?"

She sighed, nodding slightly. "Yeah. You? I was worried on the ship."

"I'm fine," he said dismissively. "The eclipse is nearly over."

Katara stirred, lifting her head to peer out at the ocean. "Oh, are the ships gone?"

"They're pulling away now. The naval guard won't follow them too far."

The waves reflected bright sunshine and she squinted against the glare, lifting a hand to shield her eyes. Seeing nothing, she turned to look at Zuko, relaxing when she saw the truth of his words for herself. She stretched her arms, yawning quietly. "Do you think Piandao is ready for us?"

"I don't know. We'll find out this evening."

"This evening?"

Zuko nodded, looking to see if Sokka had gone any farther. "Change of plans."

Katara watched her brother stalk the rocky shore, pausing occasionally to squint out toward the retreating ships. His blue and white tunic stood out sharply against the shore and she had to agree. Evening would probably be best. At least the dark would mute the blue somewhat. Sokka finally tired of his pacing and returned to where they'd camped on the shore, dropping gingerly to the rocks beside his sister.

"So, what's the plan?"

Zuko shifted, moving stones that pressed uncomfortably into his back. "We wait until nightfall and then sneak through the city."

"Nightfall!" Sokka exclaimed, dismayed. "Why?"

"We did not anticipate company," Zuko said flatly.

Sokka made a face. "Can't you leave me here and come back?"

"No."

Katara shifted. "I could stay with him."

Zuko scowled. "I'm not leaving the two of you here. Alone."

"That's something I should say," Sokka grumbled. "Why can't we stay here without you?"

"Because you are obviously not Fire Nation," Zuko snapped.

Sokka looked taken aback. "So? You were going to drag Katara through the city in full daylight."

"I can claim her as a war bride. I can do no such thing with you."

A stunned silence followed Zuko's declaration and she cringed internally. Zuko turned away sharply, scowling at the outgoing tide. Sokka looked between them, his eyes huge and his mouth gaping. Katara lifted her chin, her eyes narrowed at her brother in defiance. Zuko, she noticed, seemed to be avoiding her gaze and she noticed his ears pinking. Sokka's mouth suddenly snapped shut and his eyes narrowed.

"That was your plan?" he demanded, sounding appalled.

Zuko's shoulders tensed and he scowled defensively. "It would be believable! Do you have a better idea?"

"Yes!" Sokka said instantly. It looked like he was going to continue and then he sagged. Zuko let him think for several minutes before snorting quietly and turning away and glancing at the late afternoon sun.

"We should find some shade."

He stood, paused for a moment, and then offered a hand to Katara. She took it willingly and he pulled her to her feet. Before he released her, she squeezed his hand and gave him an encouraging smile. His lips quirked and he turned away to look down the beach. She glanced down at her brother. "Sokka?"

With a heavy sigh, Sokka hauled himself to his feet and trailed after them. Katara watched as Zuko picked his way among the larger boulders and stones until he paused and squeezed between two huge boulders. He was gone from view for a moment or two before he stuck his head out and motioned them to follow.

The gap wasn't too narrow and the two boulders leaned against each other to create a small shadowed cave. The stones weren't as large as the ones out on the beach and some shifting cleared a space for them to settle down on the coarse sand.

"I would've said we were colonists," Sokka finally said, returning to the previous conversation.

Surprised, Katara turned to see what Zuko thought. The firebender seemed just as surprised as she was as he mulled the idea over. He tossed aside the rock he'd been examining without interest and leaned forward, putting his chin in his palm. "That's…not a bad idea and would work." Neither Water Tribe sibling moved, both sensing Zuko wasn't finished. "If you weren't so obviously not Earth Kingdom. The Fire Nation doesn't have any colonies in the Water Tribes."

"That's not fair," Sokka complained. "You can't just," he trailed off, making a dismissively gesture with his hand.

"It is an option," Zuko allowed. "It'd be an excuse if someone were to ask."

"There are other options?"

"We could wait until dark and slip through the slums. The only problem is if we get caught."

Sokka snorted. "We're a couple of teenagers."

Zuko rolled his eyes. "The soldiers take threats against the Fire Nation very seriously."

"Why not go now?" Katara asked curiously.

Zuko's brow creased and he muttered, "I'm too recognizable."

"Why not wear disguises?" Sokka suggested. "If I wear and beard and mustache—"

Katara interrupted, "And call yourself 'Wang Fire?'"

"Yeah — hey!" Sokka drew himself up indignantly. "I'd be older. That was my point. We could stuff a tunic in your—"

"I'm not going to pretend I'm pregnant, Sokka! And who were you imagining was my husband?" Sokka spread his hands and Katara scowled, cutting him off before he could make the suggestion, "You're my brother."

They turned to Zuko and he drew back sharply, alarm filling his face. He sputtered and then jerked. "These are all terrible choices!"

"We still have to pick one," Sokka pointed out.

Zuko opened his mouth to refute that statement, but his attention snapped toward the beach and he hissed, "Quiet."

There was a soft scuff on the stones outside their shelter and they could hear voices in the distance along the water. Sokka shifted, closing his hand around the hilt of his sword, but stilled when Zuko held out a hand. Katara held her breath, clutching at her waterskin. The footsteps came closer and a moment later a small boy stumbled through the crevice, mollusks clutched to his chest. He came to an abrupt halt, staring at them with wide, gold eyes. He looked fearfully at the Water Tribe siblings, shifting close to Zuko's side and asking something in a language Katara didn't know. Zuko shook his head, responding in the same language, but whatever he said didn't seem to reassure the boy. The boy frowned at Zuko, eyes narrowed as he asked something else. With a shrug, Zuko held out his hand, palm up, and a small flame blossomed in his palm.

The boy gasped, eyes huge and then he started chattering excitedly. Katara watched, fascinated, as the boy juggled his collection of mollusks and held out his own hand, scowling in concentration at his palm. Nothing happened.

The boy shook his hand in obvious frustration, making a fist and relaxing his hand again, saying a few more words.

"What's he saying?" she whispered.

Zuko glanced at her. "He wanted to know if I was a firebender. He wants someone to teach him how to bend."

She looked at the boy again, surprised to find him staring at her now. She smiled at him, but he only stared in return, clutching his mollusks closer to his chest. He was all knees and elbows, his face narrow and eyes large. His clothes hung on his frame, patched and frayed.

"He's a bender?" she asked, and wasn't surprised when Zuko nodded. "He can't find a master?"

The look he gave her made her blush at her foolishness. Zuko tugged on his hair, sighing. "Masters are expensive. His best chance of learning to bend would be from his parents." He paused to speak to the boy and grimaced at his response. "His mother's not a bender and he doesn't know any. His father hasn't returned home in…three years."

"Good," Sokka grumbled.

Zuko scowled at him and Katara shoved her brother's shoulder. "Don't be such a jerk. His lack of control could kill him."

"He's not died yet," Sokka protested, moving away from his sister to avoid any further retaliation.

"No, he's still got a few more years until puberty."

"What's that supposed to mean," Sokka demanded.

Katara lifted her eyebrows, leveling her brother a look. "Surely you remember; it wasn't that long ago after all. Your body goes a little crazy, you know."

Sokka's eyes widened and his head jerked to look at Zuko, motioning vaguely. "Is that how you…"

Zuko ignored him, stepping toward the boy with his hands out. The boy eyed him warily, but whatever Zuko was saying seemed to encourage him. He hesitated and then carefully put his mollusks on the ground and let his arms hang loosely by his side. Zuko's hands hovered over the boys shoulders and Katara caught a flash of uncertainty in his expression before he released a slow breath and let his hands rest lightly. The boy jumped and then stilled again as Zuko spoke though the boy's breathing remained rapid. Zuko's hands moved lightly down the boy's thin arms, then cupped small hands between his own. A tiny flame bloomed between their hands and the boy's eyes went huge as he fixed his attention on the fire.

Zuko let his hands fall away and the flame remained. Excitement infused the boy's features and the flame flickered and grew alarmingly fast until Zuko snapped a sharp word and the boy calmed again. They watched in silence as the boy stared at the fire in his palms until someone called. The boy stirred and half glanced over his shoulder. With a few words, Zuko mimed closing his hands, watching closely to be sure his instructions were followed. The flame snuffed out and the boy looked at Zuko anxiously. The older firebender obliged with a few more instructions, letting fire appear in his own palm. The boy copied him a few times until the call came closer and he scrambled for his discarded mollusks, babbling as he scooped them up and hurried out of the crevice. Zuko watched him go with a frown and then turned to the others.

Sokka was slouched against the boulder at his back, his disgruntled expression giving no one any doubts on his thoughts. Zuko sat down close to Katara, saying, "There's curfew after sundown."

"Is that what he said?"

Zuko rubbed his temples. "Not everyone speaks more than one language, Sokka; but yes, that's what he said. We'll have to risk it."

"Risk it?"

Zuko nodded, dropping back into the sand. "We'll try to get through the slums before they close the gates."

"I still think disguises is the best choice," Sokka grumbled.

Katara rolled her eyes and Zuko sighed. "No one would believe you're old enough for a full beard."

An hour before sundown, Zuko led them from their sheltered spot on the beach and into the settlement just past the slight hill that protected the village from the high tides. Katara was not expecting her first glimpse of the Fire Nation to be so gut-wrenchingly desolate. Even the Third Ring of Ba Sing Se wasn't so hopeless and dreary. Not that it was a well-spring of hope and happiness and a delight to the senses, she told herself.

Crudely built homes leaned tiredly against each other and waste lined the streets. Sallow-cheeked women held painfully thin infants on their hips as they plodded along the narrow path through the dirt. Older children darted barefoot among the litter piles. Zuko had held them back, watching the movement of the residents. He'd garnered a few vaguely curious glances, but most of the dull gold eyes slid right over them.

"Where are we?" Katara whispered.

Zuko glanced down at her, expression grim. "The slums."

Sokka made a noise in the back of his throat and stepped away from the edge of the path. "Why are there so many children." He glanced around again, correcting himself. "And women."

"War widows. Their husbands have died in service and they still have young children," Zuko explained. "They are most likely non-benders."

"What about compensation," Sokka demanded.

"There is compensation, but not nearly enough to raise young children at least to the age where they can enter service." Zuko shook his head. "War is expensive. We — they can't afford to pay dead soldiers."

"This is terrible."

Zuko scowled. "Let's go. We're drawing too much attention."

Katara took Zuko's hand as he stepped forward. He quickly led them through the weaving streets. As the sun set, the streets emptied and Zuko's pace increased until, with a soft curse, he abruptly changed direction, hurrying them. Despite that, the firebender took the time to peer around corners and down side streets. When he swore again and pushed them into a dark alley and behind a crate of broken pottery, Katara whispered, "What's happening?"

"The soldiers have begun their patrol early," Zuko said quietly.

Sokka groaned. "Now what?"

The distinct sound of soldier tread had them falling silent and Katara held her breath and tried to make herself as small as possible. Zuko shifted, his hand closing around the hilt that rose above his shoulder and waited. The steps paused at the alley and Katara's heart was in her throat, trying to strangle her, until the steps moved on. They all breathed a sigh of relief and Katara let her head fall back against the house behind her.

"Psst!"

She nearly squealed in surprised and probably would have if Sokka hadn't clamped a hand over her mouth. Even so, she felt Zuko lurch beside her. A few paces down, crouched behind an overturned handcart, a dark-haired boy motioned for them to follow him.

"Isn't that the kid from earlier?" Sokka muttered.

Katara thought it might be, but it was difficult to be certain in the darkness of the alley. When they didn't move, the boy crept cautiously from his hiding spot and spoke in a rapid whisper. The only word Katara could understand was Zuko's name and she felt her stomach clench with dread. Zuko's expression only revealed surprise and uncertainty, but he responded to the boy with a few words and a nod. The boy grinned and moved to the far end of the alley and peered out.

"His name is Jian," Zuko informed them when he caught their curious looks. "His father…was a member of my crew. He's offered us a place to stay until morning."

"I don't like it."

"There's a gate that's guarded and locked every night at sundown and only unlocked at dawn. There's no way through."

"You didn't know about this before?" Sokka grumbled.

"No," Zuko ground out.

Katara sighed, placing her hand on Zuko's shoulder and leveling her brother a stern look. "Looks like we have no choice. We'll have to trust him."

She knew it was easier said than done, she could tell by her brother's skeptical expression and the determined set to Zuko's jaw. She could only hope they weren't making a giant mistake.

...........

Zuko hoped he hadn't just made a colossal mistake in trusting the waif-thin boy that darted between the growing shadows ahead of him. With all the others things that had gone wrong in his life, he wouldn't be all that surprised if this ended up being another. Katara followed closely on his heels, her eyes scanning their surroundings, trusting Zuko to guide her safely. It surprised him, sometimes, how much her unwavering trust in him hurt. Sokka followed behind his sister, clearly unhappy with this most recent development, but offering surprisingly little complaint.

To Zuko's relief, Jian stopped at a small lean-to house and opened the door. They entered quickly and the boy closed the door securely behind them and peeked out the window. He finally stepped away from the window and let the ratty curtain fall back into place. "We weren't followed."

Zuko nodded and took in the small room. A pallet of old, matted straw was pushed against the far wall and a ring of stones in the middle of the room contained a small fire, a pot and a few chipped bowls were the only other things in sight. A woman, younger than he excepted, rose from her crouch at the fire. She clutched at a worn shawl, her eyes suspicious as she examined them. Her gaze lingered on him and her knuckles whitened. "Prince Zuko."

Zuko bowed politely. "Your son offered us shelter for the night."

Her eyes moved to look at her son, but quickly darted back to him and his companions. "You bring Water Tribesmen with you."

Zuko shifted, lifting a hand to introduce them. "Sokka and Katara."

They bowed and she examined them curiously before dismissing them. She hitched her shoulders, pulling harder on her shawl, a fine tremor in her hands. "Do you know what became of my husband?"

Zuko grimaced. "Admiral Zhao took my crew after he — after his defeat at the North Pole, I don't know what became of his ships."

She exhaled a shaky breath, eyes hardening. "I didn't want my husband to follow you into exile three years ago. I thought he was throwing his career away — throwing his life away — but he wanted to follow General Iroh. He said the general would find a way to stop this war. It was a treasonous thought." Her mouth tightened. "Why have you returned? Why you and not my husband?"

Behind him, Zuko heard Sokka whisper, "I have no idea what they're saying, but it doesn't sound friendly."

A sufficient answer eluded him and he looked away. A broken sob escaped the woman and she swayed on her feet. Alarmed, Zuko stepped toward her, but she flung out a hand as if to ward him off. She stumbled.

"Mama!"

Jian darted toward her, catching her before she fell. Her shawl slipped from her shoulder as she reached out to grasp her son's arm. The movement brought attention to her now bared arm and Katara gasped. A large, poorly healing burn stretched from her wrist nearly to her elbow.

"What happened?" Zuko demanded.

The woman straightened proudly, lifting her chin. "My son is a bender—"

"I didn't mean to," Jian cried, interrupting. "It was an accident."

"No one blames you," she soothed the boy. "It will heal. There is no one to teach my son how to control his inner fire though Jian mentioned you helped him earlier on the beach."

This last was directed at Zuko and he could only nod, his eyes still fixed on the burn. He knew it was only in his head that he could feel the sting and smell the sickly sweet scent of burning flesh. He could remember the weeks it took to heal. Katara touched his arm, drawing his attention. "I can help her."

"Katara would like to help you," he told the woman. At her skeptical look, he added, "She's a skilled healer."

She turned wary eyes to Katara, her skepticism obvious as she examined the younger girl. Finally, with a grudging nod, she held out her arm for Katara to get a closer look. Katara stepped forward with a friendly smile, asking, "What is your name?"

The woman stared at her for several long moments before finally supplying, "Xin."

Katara's tense posture relaxed and her smile brightened. "Oh, good. You do speak the common tongue."

"Some," she agreed.

Katara examined the burn carefully, speaking slowly, "It's infected so it'll leave some scarring behind when I heal it. I'll have to clean it first." She met the woman's eyes. "It'll hurt."

Xin's expression remained wary and Katara drew a stream of water from her waterskin. Xin shrank back with a terrified gasp. "Waterbender!"

Katara froze when Xin ripped her arm from her loose grip. Zuko stepped forward, grabbing Jian's arm to prevent him from throwing himself at Katara. "Stop this," he commanded. "Xin, give her your arm. It won't take long."

Xin glared angrily at Zuko, but he met her look without flinching. With clear reluctance, Xin held out her arm again. Katara took her wrist with delicate fingers, moving slowly, as if any sudden moves would startle the woman. Despite having seen her work many times, Zuko still watched in fascination as Katara gloved her hand in water and then gently placed that hand over the burn. She breathed out slowly and then the water glowed a faint blue. Xin gasped, her eyes wide when Katara finally pulled away her hand and revealed healed flesh.

Katara scrutinized her work with a faint frown, remarking, "I'd hoped there would be less scarring, but it's not as bad as it could be."

Sokka hovered over her shoulder, eyebrows lifted in surprise. "That's pretty cool. When did you learn how to do that trick?"

"Thank you, Sokka."

Xin placed trembling fingers on the healed scar, looking from Katara to Zuko. "You mean to end the war."

Jian whipped around to stare at the firebender. "How?"

"That's—" Xin hesitated, glancing fearfully toward the curtained window and lowering her voice, "That's treason!"

Zuko blanched. "I mean to do it through an Agni-Kai, following tradition…such as it is."

Jian gasped, "You mean—"

"Don't say it!" Xin interrupted, grabbing her son's arm and pulling him away from them. "Don't even think it. You may stay here the night, but you need to be gone by morning. We never saw you."

"Thank you."

Xin nodded tightly. "Don't thank me, just…find my husband."
Sign up to rate and review this story