Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > Sibling Rivalry

Chapter Three: Things Could Have Gone Worse

by Oddish 2 reviews

Looks like Zach is getting himself into a tight spot...

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Humor - Characters: The Narrator - Published: 2006-09-23 - Updated: 2006-09-23 - 1556 words

0Unrated
Heh, sorry guys, I was on a writing streak. You should get used to them, they're bound to happen often. Of course, because of that my story may have changed tones some, but I tried to match it up well enough. And sorry for the abrupt ending. You'll have to wait for the rest!



Zach opened the door to his house, and was attempting to close it quietly without attracting attention, when a soft voice behind him said, "Zach, you're dripping all over the place. Hold on and I'll bring you a towel. Don't you dare go on any carpet in that state."

Turning around sheepishly he grinned at his younger sister Molly, who had her hands on her hips, and was standing there as if daring him to do otherwise. "I won't go onto any carpet, I promise Molly." Satisfied his sister left the room to get a towel-Despite the fact Zach had a pokemon, she was more worried about him making a mess in the spotless house-She cleaned it after all.

While he waited, he took out his pokedex to make the changes he had wanted to make-Enabling the sound, map, phone, and battle-help system. Music wasn't something his was anxious about, so he left it off...If he really wanted to listen to something he'd turn it on then.

Molly returned just as he returned the device to his pocket, and he took the towel gratefully, drying off some before his sister literally pushed him up towards his room. "Take a shower, you smell like a wet growlithe. Come back downstairs when your shower is over, and show us the pokemon you got. Ericka won't show until you do, so you'd better hurry, or I might get impatient and drag you down there naked."

Zach raised an eyebrow at her, sincerely doubting she would do such a thing...Although she might get Ericka to do so, and so he took a quick shower, soon appearing downstairs in the living room in dry pajama's, and unbraided hair. He held a brush in one hand and a tie in the other, deciding he'd braid it while downstairs, so that Molly didn't have to wait for to long, since she seemed to really want to see their pokemon. Molly herself didn't plan on leaving home-She was content to stay home and keep house while her mother worked, and take care of baby Rock when their paralyzed father couldn't do so.

"The princess has appeared! Zachy, I've missed you!" Zach was startled as the voice shattered the silence that had been coming from the living room, minus some small talk between his family, and he found himself unable to move in a tight hug from his older sister, Ryki.

"I'm not a princess! ...Let go of me!" Wriggling frantically out of her arms, he appraised her as he pretended to take giant breaths as if he had been suffocated. Ryki was tall and slim still, with the same dark brown hair as the rest of the family, and the dark brown eyes everyone but Zach and his mother shared.

However, there semblance to the family ended. Her legs were adorned in her latest fashion-Home-made tights with stripes of colors, none of which matched the other leg, white shoes with orange laces, a miniskirt of dark purple origins with eevee evolution patches sown onto it...And not the right colors either, as he spotted a blue spotted pink Jolteon. Her shirt was a white color with hot pink dots connected by bright yellow lines into the form of an Umbreon, and her hair was cut almost short enough to spike.

"Well come on, we're dying to know what pokemon you and Ericka have, and Nova Blast wants to play, and none of the rest of my pokemon want to, so I'm hoping one of you has a playful pokemon." She dragged Zach into the room, plopping him down between herself and Ericka, which was a seat he avoided at any cost.

"Hello son." His father was sitting opposite him on another couch, his Kadabra nearby to help him about with a powerful psychic attack. His father's hair was cut short as well, the dark brown hair and eyes instantly marking him as one of the family. He was paralyzed from the waist down, and that was the only reason he wasn't more involved in his children's adventures. His own pokemon were useful however, and Zach had no doubt his Machoke and Makuhita were off training somewhere, as the two of them were undoubtedly best buddies.

His mother smiled at him, although she was busy brushing her beloved Plusle and Minun, as the two sat contently on her lap. Her hair was dark brown like the rest, but her eyes were a sparkling emerald like Zach's, and she showed the eyes off often, wearing some sort of clothing that would bring them out.

"Hi Dad, Mom."

Ericka shut him up with an elbow into his side, which he retaliated with one of his own, and found himself in a choking hug on the other side from Ryki. "Come on Ericka, show us your pokemon, and then Zach can show his." Zach flailed his arms and was ignored, as Ericka removed three pokeballs from her jacket pocket, which was lying on the ground near her.

"'Kay. This is Wave." Here she released her starter, the Mudkip announcing it's presence to everyone with a loud, "Kip!" and showing off it's tackle attack by ramming into one of the couches, and falling back in a daze, awarding itself a laugh from everyone except Zach, who was still trapped beneath one of Ryki's arms, and therefore wasn't able to laugh, although he did see it.

"This is Rose. You wouldn't believe how I found her-"as she told the story, a Roselia appeared in a flash of red light, gracefully taking a seat on the arm of the couch near Ericka. "Just walking along, and suddenly out of the sky she fell! I guess a pidgeotto or something had gotten hold of her, and dropped her when she fought back. Anyways, this is Coal."

Here a Torkoal suddenly appeared, much to Molly's distress as the pokemon flooded the room with smoke, causing the family to erupt in bouts of coughing, and Ericka apologize frantically. Zach found this extremely discomforting, as Ryki was still holding him down and he couldn't even cough properly. Remembering Chikorita's aroma, he dug into the pockets of his pajama's, and released the grass-type, who was quite confused at the dreary state of things. In a few moments however, he had managed to clear the room of smoke, and climbed onto his lap with the air of someone who deserved some credit.

"And that's Zach's Chikorita. Thanks-And I'm sorry everyone, I forgot that Coal tends to explode in smoke whenever he's released." The Torkoal was happily laying down at her feet, apparently oblivious to the trouble he had just caused a moment ago.

"Ooooh. You got a Chikorita Zach? What's his name?" Ryki released Zach at this point, who sat up hurriedly, careful not to displace Chikorita.

"Name? Chikorita...I didn't name him. I mean, if he wanted a name he'd have figured out some way to tell me, wouldn't he?" Zach eyed the little grass-type, careful to keep from looking at his father who he was now sure was disappointed in him.

His mother spoke up then, "You don't have to name your pokemon dear. Your Chikorita is just so darling."

Ericka laughed, "I bet you didn't even think about naming him, did you? Say, what other pokemon did you get?"

Zach's face became solemn, as he eyed the other pokeball he had brought down with him, not really wanting to let the Hoothoot out. In the few seconds that he stared at it, he decided not to, and say he hadn't caught any-Only Chikorita seemed to be partly psychic, as the pokemon released the Hoothoot on his own. Zach cringed expecting it to attack him, but the pokemon only perched on the back of the couch. No one else was surprised by this-While pokemon sometimes didn't obey after being captured, they didn't usually viciously attack the trainer with no reason at all.

Ericka grinned and mentioned, "You know, I'm surprised Zach. I did expect you to capture any pokemon. I would've thought you'd run from them all."

"Eh...She was a...accident..."

Ryki broke in before anyone could say anything, "Hey, why don't you guys battle? We can go out back on the porch-It'll be fun. It can be a one on one battle, with two pokemon each, since Zach only has two."

Zach shook his head, "No, I-"

His father brightened up some at this, though he had been cheered up slightly when Zach's Hoothoot was revealed. "That's a great idea Ryki. Let's go."

"But I-"Again Zach was cut off as the rest of his family headed out to the back porch, Kadabra helping his father, who was in the lead. Sighing, he stood, yelping when the Hoothoot took up a perch on his shoulder, though a quick nudge from Chikorita sent him heading to the door again, with a deep sigh and a suspicious look at the Hoothoot out of the corner of his eye.
Sign up to rate and review this story