Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Harley Street

by ilex 0 reviews

Anna and Harry make it home to Harley St. Winky looks around her new home

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-24 - 2164 words

1Original

Chapter 20





Harley Street





Harry and Anna returned to the corner of the car park where Tut was waiting patiently, being admired by a few passersby.



"Is your house far?" Harry asked as he settled onto the seat.



"No, we have to go back down Euston Road and then Marylebourne Road, just to Regents Park, hang a left, down a few blocks and we're there!"



A few minutes later, as they turned left onto Harley Street, Anna said over her shoulder, "I'll slow down at the front to show you where we are, but then I'm going round back to park in the mews.



Harry nodded, looking left and right at the tall gray stoned townhouses, with their pillared porticos and white marble steps. Christmas candles were in quite a few of the windows and wreathes hung on doors.



"There it is - #42."



Anna backed off the gas and pointed to the house on the corner. Turning, she glided past a high wall, behind which Harry could see the tops of small leafless trees and vine covered trellises.



"The garden is lovely in the spring and summer; lots of color and lots of shade. I've also added a small conservatory on the back," Anna explained.



Harry just caught a glimpse of the glass roofed structure and the copper finial of an owl on the end of the peak. Rounding the corner into the mews alleyway, a garage door opened and Anna pulled in and stopped Tut beside a classic Rolls.



"Whoa!" Harry stared at the majestic, shiny car. "That's one impressive car."



"Christopher's pride and joy. We'll take it for a spin, later. Goodnight, Tut."



X # X # X



Leading the way out of the garage, Anna took Harry along a brick path, past the lawn and garden, and entered the back of the house, straight into a wonderfully warm hallway.



"We're home!" Anna yelled up the stairs.



"Hello!" came the answering shout. Remus Lupin leaned over the railing at the top of the stairs. "Harry! Anna! You've made excellent time. I wasn't expecting you for another hour, at the /very /least."



"Hello, Remus!" Harry grinned up at his father's friend. "We were racing the Express - it wound up being a tie."



"That's our story and we're sticking to it!" Anna laughed, poking Harry in the ribs as Remus came down the stairs. He gave Harry a big hug and planted a kiss on Anna's cheek.



"I've got a surprise, Remus. Harry, come here and let's get that backpack unloaded."



"Right."



With Remus' help, Harry took off and then gently lowered the backpack to the floor. Unsnapping the flap, Anna tapped it with her wand and the opening widened to allow her to lean into the interior. Straightening up, she emerged with Hedwig's cage.



"Harry, why don't you take Hedwig out back and let her stretch her wings." Bending over and peering into the cage, she addressed the snowy owl, "Hedwig, there's an entrance to the attic at the top back of the house. Wally is probably there and he'll be expecting you. Good hunting." Hedwig hooted in a cheery sort of way as Harry picked up her cage. "Through those French doors, Harry." Anna pointed him to the back terrace.



X # X # X



"Now, guess what I have in this backpack, Remus."



"Some woe begotten stray you found along the road, no doubt. I'm not dog sitting for you, Anna! I'm putting my foot down right now!"



"Oh, relax. I wouldn't do that to you."



"Liar."



"Well, I'd give you some advance notice. It's even better then a stray, Remus. I've got a new house elf; Winky! You told me all about her and the dust up with Barty Crouch, remember? Well, she's been at Hogwarts ever since, but not adjusting very well to being free, unfortunately. I needed help and she needed a new position, so, /Voila/!" She indicated the interior of the backpack.



Lupin leaned over tentatively, as if expecting Winky to leap out at him. Peeking into the backpack, he did a double take when he saw her curled up, snoring softly.



"Good Lord."



"She's so excited about this."



"I can tell. Ball of energy, that one."



"Oh, stop being horrid." Bending over, Anna gently woke Winky. "Hello there. Did you have a good nap?"



"Oh, yes, Missy Anna." Winky stretched and looked up. "Is we there?"



"Yes. Let me give you a lift out and I'll show you your new home."



Reaching up, Winky grabbed Anna's hands and was pulled out and deposited on the rug. She looked around and a wide grin appeared on her face. "Oh, yes, Missy Anna. Winky is going to like it here; lots of dust."



Anna and Remus looked at each other and burst out laughing.



"Winky, this is Remus Lupin, who works here at the house and sometimes stays here; when I'm at Hogwarts or just out of town."



"Glad to meet you, Winky." Remus bent over and extended his hand. Winky shyly shook hands with the tall man.



"Winky is glad she is meeting you, too, Mr. Remus Lupin."



Harry came back with Hedwig's empty cage and set it down next to the backpack.



"Hello, Winky."



"Hello, Harry Potter, sir. We is here!"



"Indeed. Do you think it'll suit you?"



"Oh, yes." Turning to Anna, Winky asked, "Can Winky look around now?"



"Certainly, but /don't touch anything that you don't recognize. Remember, this is my late Muggle husband's house and there are /loads of Muggle things everywhere. We'll sort out what they are later. And we'll decide on a new pillowcase or two for you when you finish looking around."



"Yes, Missy Anna." With that, Winky took off, darting in and out of doors and exclaiming over everything.



X # X # X



Harry bent into the backpack and retrieved his duffle bag and Anna's two suitcases.



"Where should I put these?" Harry asked, indicating the now empty backpack and Hedwig's cage.



"In that closet," said Anna, pointing.



Just then Winky flashed by and popped into the kitchen. They heard her burst into tears and then laugh and exclaim to herself as drawers were pulled open and banged shut, cupboards searched, pots and pans rattled and lids lifted and dropped back into place.



"Is everything alright, Winky?" Anna stuck her head in the kitchen door, to check on the house elf's progress.



"Oh, yes, Missy Anna! Winky is just too happy. I is thinking I is not deserving such a fine house."



"Nonsense. If you're as good a house elf as Dobby says you are, you'll make me proud I had the brains to ask you to come with me in the first place."



"I've got to get back to work, but I'll join you in a bit." Remus headed down the hall and into an office off to the right of the stairs."



X # X # X



Anna started to pick up her suitcases. "Give me one, Anna; it's the least I can do," volunteered Harry.



"Thank you, Harry. Well, onward and upward." Anna led the way to the stairs and up to the ground floor, emerging into a wide entrance hall. Harry took a quick look around and could see a parlor, library and dining room and more doors down the hall leading to the back of the house.



Heading for the main flight of stairs to the upper floors, they were passed by Winky, who proceeded to pop into the various rooms, gasping and laughing and talking excitedly to herself.



"She's got to cheer up, that one." Harry grinned as Winky went flying up the stairs ahead of them and began searching through the bedrooms on the first floor.



"She'll calm down in a bit." Anna watched as Winky skidded round the door jam of a nearby bedroom and headed for the back of the house. "She'll run out of rooms pretty soon; only one more floor and then the attic."



Going toward the front of the house, Anna opened a door and ushered Harry into a bedroom that was every bit as big as the entire upstairs of the Dursley's house on Privet Drive.



"Blimey!"



"Like it?"



"What's not to like. This is huge! It's bigger than our dorm room!"



"No, it's not...well...maybe close to it. Bathroom is that door on the right."



Winky careened into the room. "Winky will unpack for you, Harry Potter, sir." And back out the door she shot.



"Fine...ah...Winky...whatever." He shook his head. "She's going to do herself a mischief, if she's not careful."



"She'll be fine," Anna laughed. "But, if she's going to do the unpacking, I'd better put my bags in my room." Taking her suitcase from Harry, she went to the door and looked back at him. "Meet you downstairs in a jiffy. Get comfortable; change if you like. Then we'll see about dinner. I just realized how hungry I'm getting."



"Me too, and thanks Anna. I really mean it; for having me and all," Harry replied.



"My pleasure, Harry." Anna smiled and headed for back of the house, going through a door at the end of the hallway.



X # X # X



Harry deposited his duffle bag on the bench at the bottom of his bed and looked around. The room's furnishings were very austere and linear. Harry suddenly remembered an article in one of Aunt Petunia's magazines, about a revival of this style. What was that name? He tried to recall, but all he could remember was Aunt Petunia saying it reminded her of cheap packing crates. Arts and Crafts, that was it. Harry had leafed through the magazine when Aunt Petunia wasn't looking, read the article, checked the pictures and decided he rather liked the look of the furniture.



Now, here he was, staying in a room full of what he considered really neat stuff. He particularly liked the details; the square nail heads and the stylized carving and accessories, like the squat round lamps and the floral motif tiles surrounding the fireplace.



"Cool."



Walking to the window, he looked out at the houses opposite, with their candles in the windows and in a couple of front rooms, Harry could see Christmas trees, with twinkling lights and sparkling ornaments.



He smiled and then headed out into the hall to go downstairs. Hearing a noise, Harry noticed an open door on the other side of the landing. Just then, Anna emerged from the closet doorway, with a tottering pile of lines in her arms.



"What have you got there, Anna?" Harry hurried over as the stack started to tilt and sway alarmingly.



"Oops! Thanks, Harry," Anna gasped as he grabbed top half of the pile. "I was getting some pillowcases for Winky to choose from, for her uniform."



"These are really fancy." Harry checked the pile he was carrying. "Think she'll wear them, if they're this nice and new?"



"I've never met a female- Muggle, witch or house elf - who would turn down a chance to dress up. Besides, these are old - odds and ends - but too good to just chuck in the dust bin. I'm a hoarder, Harry, and now they'll finally be put to good use."



As they descended to the ground floor, Anna continued, "/plus/, I've got some other bits of old linen that I'll use to make aprons and maybe even a little jacket. I can't call it a jacket, of course, Winky would consider that clothes. Perhaps I could convince her it's a cover up for her uniform, to keep it from getting dirty when she's cleaning or cooking. This old house can be a bit drafty in the winter; can't have her catching cold."



"Now you sound like a Healer," Harry chided her.



"Occupational habit...preventative medicine...mothering instinct...take your pick," she replied. "Let's put this lot in the kitchen." They went down the final set of stairs to the basement level of the house.



Entering through the arched doorway, Anna looked around and smiled. "Winky's going to love working here. Some Muggle stuff, but plenty of basic cooking things, too. We'll compromise, as my mother did with Daisy; it'll work."



Putting the pillowcases down on the counter top of the island work station, Anna went to the refrigerator to check what was available. Harry peeked over her shoulder.



"Well, the cupboard isn't exactly bare, but from the look of the trash bin, Remus prefers Chinese take-away." Indeed, the nearby bin was filled almost to overflowing with empty, red take-away boxes.



A doorbell rang somewhere above.



"I wonder who that could be?" Anna looked up, frowning.



"I'll get it. You two just got here, so relax." Remus passed the door on his way to the stairs.



"If you insist, Remus." Anna waved a hand in his direction. "Harry, look in the bottom drawer of that desk and see if there isn't a box full of ribbon and lace. A sewing box, also, I think. We'll discuss dinner when Remus comes back down."










Sign up to rate and review this story