Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Getting To Know You

by Emilie_D 1 review

Moving beyond surface relationships to what matters.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-24 - 4393 words - Complete

1Exciting
Once they were clear of the Headmistress's office, Severus put his arm around Zelda and held her close as they walked back toward her room. "It has been a splendid day," he said softly.

She slipped her arm around his waist and they walked contentedly together. A motion near their feet made Severus pull out his wand, but Zelda smiled and said, "Look, Mrs. Norris is here, Sev." She looked down and said, "Hello, sweetheart, are you having a good evening?"

The scrawny animal gazed at them with large glowing eyes, and brushed against Zelda's robes in a friendly way.

"Zelda, have you made friends with Mrs. Norris?" Severus hissed, looking rather nauseated.

"Well, I don't wish to be too familiar, since she belongs to Mr. Filch, but I do like cats," she responded with a smile.

"Please keep walking. In the past, I have had a good relationship with Argus Filch, but given my present situation, he may not be happy to see me." Severus said grimly.

Mrs. Norris trotted by their side, mewing dispiritedly. When they arrived at the Charmed corridor, Severus continued walking, but Zelda paused and leaned down to stroke Mrs. Norris's fluffy head. She frowned slightly.

"Who's there?" A gruff voice growled.

Severus took a step back toward Zelda, but forced himself to stop. He could intervene if it was necessary.

"Mr. Filch? It's Zelda Larsson," she said with a smile. "Mrs. Norris found me, so I was saying good night to her."

Filch stepped into view, and Severus watched with a cynical expression, prepared to be amused.

"Mrs. Larsson," Filch said hoarsely, "Why are you wandering around Hogwarts so late?" He stared intently at her. "It can be... hazardous," he said in a portentous manner.

"I dined with the Headmistress this evening," said Zelda cheerfully. "It's been a long day, so I'm off to my room now."

"Good," he grunted, eyeing her cautiously.

"I'm glad you turned up, Mr. Filch," Zelda continued, "While I was petting Mrs. Norris, I noticed that she has a wound here. Can you see it? Her ear's bleeding."

Filch scooped up his cat and held her protectively in his scrawny arms. "Oh, Mrs. Norris, let me see," he moaned, trying unsuccessfully to see the injury while he held her.

"Will you let me hold her for you?" Zelda offered. "That way you'll be able to see it."

The old man stared suspiciously, but suddenly he thrust the cat at Zelda. Mrs. Norris was extremely light, she felt like a rather old animal, Zelda thought. She held her firmly while Filch looked at the bleeding tear on the animal's left ear.

"Something's attacked her," said Filch grimly. "Poor old girl, I'll take care of you, Mrs. Norris," he crooned to his dust colored pet.

Zelda stroked the little cat gently as she handed her back. "After you clean it, it should heal well," she said kindly. "She's a sweet girl."

Filch's eyes bulged, he seemed struck dumb by her words.

"I'll be off to my room now. Good night, Mr. Filch, and to you, Mrs. Norris," said Zelda, turning back toward her corridor.

"Good night, Mrs. Larsson," Argus Filch replied in a strangled voice, as he carried his pet down the stairs.

Zelda joined Severus, waiting just inside the corridor. "Is this what happens when you enter a place unburdened by preconceived notions?" he asked quizzically.

"What do you mean?" she replied, smiling quizzically back at him.

"Dear girl, I have never seen Filch look so Confunded. I am afraid he'll try to steal you from me," he said, smirking. "And you have bonded with Mrs. Norris," he added in disbelief.

He opened the door, and once they were safely inside her room he took her into his arms and kissed her, still chuckling. "Ask Potter about Filch and Mrs. Norris," he suggested.

Argus Filch was forgotten as Zelda gazed at Severus. He was already as familiar to her in his real clothes as he was to her in his Muggle disguise. "I think I'm up to the challenge of those numerous buttons," she suggested. She caressed his cheek, almost the only part of him not covered by fabric.

"Prove it, my girl," he murmured, brushing her lips with his. Her fingers tickled his chin as she began unbuttoning the high collar of his frock coat, all the while kissing his mouth. When she had done enough, she untied his cravat, and unbuttoned his collar to kiss his exposed throat. She lingered there briefly, stroking the back of his neck and running her fingers into his lank hair. Severus sighed, delighted at her meticulous attention to details.

"I am able to speed the process," he offered half-heartedly.

"No, thank you," she replied softly, pausing to kiss the base of his throat again, "That's not necessary."

She undid some more buttons and pushed his shirt open, exposing his chest. He breathed a little faster; it was an intoxicating sensation. She glanced up and smiled deliciously, before she began kissing this fresh territory. Finally she finished unbuttoning his coat and shirt, and put her arms around him. She caressed his bare back, and pressed herself against his chest. His heart pounded against her cheek.

She kissed him again, and Severus let her control the pace of it, knowing that there were many more buttons on his sleeves before anything at all would be off of him. She led him closer to the bed, but still standing she pushed his shirt back more and ran her hands over his bare shoulders.

"You're amazingly sexy," she murmured, running her eyes appreciatively over what she'd wrought of his clothing.

She changed her focus then, unfastening his trousers at the waist just enough to slide her hands inside the waistband and caress his skin there. She unbuttoned more and let her hands move lower, rubbing her hands lightly over his hipbones and moving them around behind. She squeezed firmly with both hands and smiled wickedly. "I always took the most time unwrapping my Christmas presents when I was a kid," she said.

"You surprise me, my girl," Severus replied sarcastically, feeling several delightful sensations all at the same time.

"My brothers were always much more hasty than I was," she continued, unbuttoning his trousers more. She stroked him briefly with her hand, following with her lips.

He moaned faintly and murmured, "What on earth do you plan to do now, my girl?" He pulled her up against him and kissed her intensely, running his hands over her robes.

"Well..." she said with a sly smile, "I might do this." She disrobed and stood before him naked, brushing her hard nipples against his bare skin. "And if the situation became, well... urgent," her voice trailed off, but then finished softly, "I might...."

She pulled his trousers down and pushed him backward so he fell onto the bed. He was tangled in his clothes, which still were tight on his arms and lower legs, and still wearing his boots. His torso was completely exposed however, and she happily straddled his waist. She grinned triumphantly and kissed his twitching lips.

"You are clever, my Zelda," Severus purred, between kisses. "I had not foreseen this, but it is an... amusing sensation."

Zelda found herself on her back, trapped underneath him so suddenly that she was not sure how it had happened. Severus was still attached to his clothing, she noticed, and his black eyes gleamed with triumph. "It's really a win-win situation," she said, caressing his lean body and feeling his ribs through his pale skin. "Do you need to take anything off?"

"I had not planned to wear my boots... Another amusing sensation," he smirked. "However, I am extremely adaptable." He was not inconvenienced at all by his clothing as he proceeded to claim his victory in what was truly a win-win situation.

They woke, tangled in his clothes, and kissed each other again. Severus then found his wand and said, "Evanesco!" His clothes vanished and he pulled her back into his arms, finally freed of all constraints.

"What would it be like to have an ordinary life together?" Zelda asked idly.

"I think we shall never be bored," Severus replied thoughtfully. "My adorable Muggle, you walked into Hogwarts and prodded the Order of the Phoenix into action, so I believe you are capable of anything."

"Goddess, my boy" she said breathlessly. "If I stop and think too deeply about this I'll become paralyzed with terror."

"You disguise it magnificently then," he said, feeling her quiver slightly. He considered what Hogwarts would be to a Muggle who had known nothing of magic for most of her life. Severus kissed her forehead, running his fingers tenderly through her hair.

"I've been a teacher for years, so you must know that I've learned not to look terrified," she said with a faint smile.

Her words brought back memories he had long buried. "When Albus Dumbledore first hired me," he said slowly, "I was far younger than anyone on the staff; in fact some of my oldest students were at school when I was a student. They knew what had happened... with Potter and Black..."

Silence reigned for a short time before he could continue. "The first year was hell," he said. "In spite of being a capable student, I had no idea how to be a teacher. It was a painful lesson in learning not to show weakness."

Zelda kissed his hooked nose. They understood each other well. "I'll do what I must to help you," she said.

"I know it," he replied, studying her face intently. There were lines of worry on her forehead and dark circles around her eyes. She was paying a price for her performance.

She smiled ruefully at him, and he saw her think regretfully that she was no beauty and looked every day of her forty-two years.

"Are all women so stupid?" asked Severus sardonically.

"What?" she asked, before realizing he had seen her thought. She blinked and said, "I suppose... yes. Most of us."

"I wish you were safe at home." Severus stroked her cheek and continued, "Please take care of yourself."

"I do take care, really," she replied earnestly. "My one mad risk was coming here at all. It's too much for me to take in so quickly, and I'm amazed that I haven't blown it already. It's rather fun to play this, as if it's a game... but it's exhausting."

"I know it," he said. "It is not a game, but at times, doing it well is very exciting. Until someone dies..."

"Sev," she murmured, "let's forget all of it now. Being with you makes me really happy."

Severus gathered Zelda close in his arms and said, "Shall we try something unusual, and simply sleep tonight?"

She smiled as she met his gaze. "I love to simply sleep with you." She snuggled into his arms, falling almost immediately asleep.

Severus lay awake, thinking long into the night of all he had learned that day. He could plan nothing for himself beyond the next night, but wished to assure himself that Hogwarts was well protected. It was also essential that Zelda be made as safe as possible. He knew her to be clever and resourceful, he thought proudly, but she was defenseless against a magical attack. Various ideas unfolded in his mind, and when he was finally ready to rest, his thoughts were in order. There was much to be done the next day, he thought, so he kissed his sleeping lady and slept deeply by her side.



&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&




Zelda woke gradually. Her face was pressed against Severus's shoulder, and eyes still closed, she inhaled the scent of him, more familiar and precious every day. She missed her home, her cats and Michael. If something happened to her here it would grieve her children unbearably, but now there was Severus. She had no choice but to be here with him.

Severus stirred in his sleep, burying his face in her soft hair. The warmth of Zelda's body against his comforted him, and he was at peace.

Zelda's eyes pricked with tears, but she didn't move. She wanted him to rest before he returned to his hellish task that night, but hot tears rolled down her cheeks.

Severus felt her tears on his skin and woke instantly. She would grieve when he returned to the Dark Lord, and her grief was a powerful incentive to abandon his task and choose happiness for himself and Zelda.

"Dear girl, do not cry," he said softly.

She looked up at him regretfully. "I didn't want to wake you," she said guiltily.

Their eyes met, and all the love and longing, the temptation to walk away together, and finally their resolution to stay the course were shared. All of it passed without a single spoken word.

"Legilimency's marvelous," Zelda said with an ironic grimace. "It would've been too hard to say all that, wouldn't it? Now I'm ready to face the day."

He said teasingly, "I shall be ready presently..."

She met his look questioningly, but when his mouth reached her nipple, she sighed happily. "I didn't come to Hogwarts to disport myself with you, Professor," she murmured.

"Your adaptability," he purred, "is one of my reasons for loving you." Severus paused and studied her carefully. He smoothed the worried crease between her brows and ran a thin finger over her lips and across her stubborn chin.

"And you're sure..." she began, falling silent when his eyes narrowed irritably.

"Yes?" he inquired sternly. "More self-doubt, my girl? Please finish your thought."

"Well," she faltered, "I feel stupid, I know you love me, but..." she paused, and said impulsively, "I don't need to be magical for me, but, Sev, you're not just any old wizard, are you? You're, um... remarkable, but I'm just a Muggle and nothing special."

"Yes, and additionally, you are old and hideous," he said mockingly. "Zelda, do you suffer from fits of insanity?" He tenderly cupped her breast in his hand and stroked it. "It is my ironic fate to love a woman who is dearer to me than I had imagined possible, and who suffers from lower self-esteem than I do." He saw her wince as his stroking fingers traced the faint silvery marks on her breast. His eyebrow rose enquiringly.

"Don't you think they're repulsive? The stretch marks, I mean?" she asked timidly.

His angry glare prompted her to say, "I'm sorry, it's... you know, my ex-husband thought they were disgusting. They weren't bad after Lily, but my second pregnancy... and they never go away, and, well, I wish I didn't look so awful," she finished lamely.

"If I were not so grateful to your dolt of an ex-husband for leaving you, I would murder him painfully for encouraging you to believe that such things matter," said Severus icily. He pressed his lips to the offending stretch marks, and looked up at her.

"I must believe that you do not find me hideous," he said. "But have you noticed any of my scars? Years ago my leg was mangled by a three-headed dog. Shall I presume that you have not noticed those very disfiguring scars, and that you will leave me when you discover them?"

"I'm overweight and I have crow's feet," she offered, her lips twisting ironically, "and my breasts haven't been perky since before Lily was born."

He scowled and said, "My nose resembles the result of a curse, my hair remains greasy no matter what I do, and my teeth are crooked."

"Your nose is magnificent," she replied defensively, "and your hair's totally sexy. I don't give a rat's ass if your teeth are crooked, or even if you grow a disfiguring boil on your ass, because you're perfectly wonderful. And I see what you've done and of course you love me. I'm sorry I was an idiot."

"You are my own little idiot," Severus murmured, tracing more stretch marks with his finger. "When we are married I look forward to regularly hearing how incredibly handsome I am, until I become as insufferable as Gilderoy Lockhart." He tweaked her nipple, and was rewarded by a reluctant smile.

Zelda kissed his nose, and said, "If I were a witch, I'd hex any dunderhead who insulted your adorable nose. But seriously, I'm not a witch, so aren't you letting down the team to consider marrying a pathetic Muggle?"

Severus stared as though she had indeed gone mad. "What has that so-called bloody team ever done for me?" he asked caustically. "My dear, wizards have married Muggles throughout history, fortunately. Otherwise, we would have died out from inbreeding centuries ago." His expression softened and he said, "I will finish my task, and then I will have you."

She kissed him, and when she looked as though she might speak, he pressed his fingers to her lips.

"This conversation is finished," Severus said as he pulled her over on top of him and hugged her.

Zelda put her hands on either side of his face and began kissing him. "You're incredibly handsome," she murmured, tracing the scar on his cheek with her thumb.

Severus flushed, still shocked at her sincerity. He gave his low laugh, and rolled over so that she was underneath him. "Have you forgotten who your 'daddy' is?" he queried smugly.

"You, dear wizard, always you," she chuckled, drawing him down and clasping him firmly. Each time that they made love was more incredible, she thought. It seemed unreal to feel so happy, but if most of her life was reality, she must dare this frightening new world, so that she could be with Severus.




&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&




Severus was once more wearing his accustomed attire, and, in addition had assumed his billowing black robes. It was gratifying to feel normal again, he realized, but he could not help glancing nervously over at Zelda, who was seated at the dressing table, brushing her hair.

She met his gaze in the mirror, and when she saw the whole Snape persona, her eyes twinkled. "No wonder Harry was so stunned at finding you in Muggle clothes. I'm surprised he didn't actually faint."

Severus still doubted, at times, that she could accept him as she learned more of him. "You do not find me... strange?" he asked curiously.

"You're fascinating and completely yourself," she said. "Rather like a force of nature, powerful and not to be trifled with by idiots. Therefore I believe you don't think I'm an idiot." Her brow wrinkled thoughtfully. "I'm not used to being taken seriously, in fact I try to avoid it, except in my classroom. I matter to you, and while it still makes me nervous, I like it."

A bell rang in the distance. Severus adjusted his robes and said, "If you are ready, we shall go."

She rose, glancing a final time into the mirror, and as he reached for the door, she said, "Wait."

His eyebrow rose inquiringly.

She smiled into his eyes and stood on tiptoe to kiss him. "Now we're ready," she said.

Severus saw that Zelda observed her surroundings carefully as they walked the empty corridors to the Headmistress's office. Minerva awaited them at the bottom of the staircase, and he said, "I wondered how we would access the office without the password."

"Potter is here with that appalling Map," she replied. "When I imagine that thing in the hands of students, I am shocked at James Potter and his friends. I would not have believed they would create such a thing."

Zelda felt Severus twitch, and his silence was eloquent.

"Obviously, you believe it was possible," Minerva said penetratingly, stepping onto the stairs.

"I believe the words used to activate it speak for themselves," he said frigidly. "However, revisiting the past serves no purpose now." He stepped onto the revolving stairs with Zelda by his side.

They entered the office to find Harry Potter staring longingly at the portrait of Dumbledore, who seemed to be asleep. Severus was relieved that their situations were not reversed, as he would most likely have assumed that exact position had he been alone.

"Hey, Harry," said Zelda bracingly. "It's lovely to see you this morning."

"Zelda! Er, Professor Snape, I, um," Harry stammered, "I was just..." his voice died away as he saw that they knew what he had been doing. His eyes widened as he saw Zelda standing next to the original, billowing Professor Snape, and looking just as happy as always.

"Come and sit down, Potter," said Minerva kindly. Albus Dumbledore's portrait was not actually the man, but Harry Potter mourned his loss of the man, and would likely find the portrait disturbing.

Harry hastily joined them at the table. The last time he had seen Zelda she had asked Snape to Imperius her. He looked speculatively at her, but she seemed fine, and smiled cheerfully at him as she poured out tea.

"Potter," Severus said expressionlessly, "exactly who has seen the Map?"

"Ron and Hermione know about it," Harry said, meeting his eyes. "Fred and George Weasley had the Map before me. They gave it to me. I don't know if they ever told anyone."

Severus remained silent, waiting.

"And... Professor Lupin," said Harry. "You know that. I haven't shown it to anyone else, except Professor McGonagall."

"Pettigrew helped make it," Severus said. "During his masquerade as Weasley's rat, did he learn that you now possess it?"

Harry had never considered the possibility. "I don't know," he replied, thinking back in horror. "He disappeared for a while because Hermione's cat kept trying to catch him."

They ate in silence for a few minutes, and Severus asked, "Have you practiced Occlumency? I dislike nagging, because at some point you should do it simply because it is important."

"Yes, I've practiced," snapped Harry resentfully. "I'm not a complete idiot."

"Good," replied Severus smoothly.

Minerva and Zelda had remained cautiously silent during this exchange, but as the silence grew long, Zelda innocently said, "It's raining today, Minerva. Is this typical for the climate here?"

"Yes, we have a fair amount of rain in the summer. Have you never been to Scotland before?" the Headmistress replied graciously, stealing a glimpse at Potter and Severus, who were ostentatiously ignoring each other and eating.

"I've never left North America before this, Minerva, and until now, I had no idea I was in Scotland," Zelda said. "If I bought a plane ticket and flew to Scotland, would I be able to find Hogwarts?"

"I am afraid not," replied Minerva. "Hogwarts is protected in many magical ways."

"Potter!" hissed Severus viciously, "What are you playing at?"

The women's eyes flew to the two wizards. Severus, a slight flush on his cheeks, was glaring murderously into Harry's eyes.

Harry's face was expressionless, and his green eyes had an icy sheen to them as he faced Severus. The intensity between them grew so potent that Zelda could feel pressure around her as if a storm were about to break over their heads. She glanced toward Minerva, who obviously wished to let it play out without interference.

Severus's rage was about to engulf him. That Potter dared attempt Legilimency on him roused every bitter memory of the boy's impudence, and of James Potter... the arrogant bastard who fathered this brat. He fought to still his fury, and finally mastered himself. Turning his mind outward, he stared into Potter's blank green eyes. The boy was more powerful and composed than he had believed possible, so Severus drew his wand and threw a full blast of power at him.

Harry rose to his feet. He barricaded his mind, trying to stop his horror at what he had started from overwhelming him. But it was too difficult, and regret weakened him. What began as an impulse, born of Snape's dismissive comment about Occlumency, turned into a primal struggle for his mind's integrity... one he was losing. His feelings floated to the surface of his mind, and he sank back to his chair, defeated and exhausted.

He saw all of it, Potter's childish impulse to invade his privacy, succeeded by fierce determination to prove himself, and his fear and deep remorse. Severus choked back bitter words. He settled into the blankness of Occlumency, and his face regained its icy lack of expression. He wished to walk away, but it was not possible, so he simply sat unmoving.

Minerva and Zelda stared in shock. Zelda felt physically sick at the battle of magical wills she had witnessed. Severus's blank face showed that he was struggling for control, so she did not distract him, but looked intently at Harry Potter.

"Potter, what just happened?" Minerva asked, and her eyes narrowed in concentration.

Harry knew he must face the consequences of his rash act. "I tried Legilimency on Professor Snape," he confessed in a stricken voice.

"I see," she replied sternly. "Are you aware that the Ministry restricts the teaching and use of Legilimency? The possibility for abuse, for violating the privacy of innocent people makes it unacceptable to use under normal circumstances."

"I didn't think," Harry said wretchedly. His head ached and when he saw Zelda's disappointed face he felt worse. Professor Snape was more furious than he had been since before finding Zelda. "It was... I thought," his voice faded away.

Severus felt Zelda's hand take hold of his under the table. He squeezed her hand lightly, and his tension was eased. "You thought? Never attempt to violate my privacy again, Potter," he said icily.

Harry felt their eyes on him, and forced himself to meet Snape's eyes. "I'm sorry, Sir," he said weakly, "it was a really stupid thing to do."

Zelda looked from one to the other, and hoping to cause a small distraction, she said lightly, "Minerva, I haven't greeted dear old Phineas Nigellus this morning. You all carry on here."

She rose and strolled over to the wall, pausing to study each portrait, slightly unnerved to see that they were studying her in return. Suddenly she froze, staring at the portrait of a white-bearded wizard in front of her. It was, she saw, that of Albus Dumbledore, and he was gazing back at her with startling blue eyes. She nodded to him curiously and wondered if he would speak to her.
Sign up to rate and review this story